[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. Hi folks -
    First, a happy Cinco de Mayo to you all [FX: sound of ice cold cervezas being clinked together].

I'm going to do a regular series of PokerStars Q and A's here. You ship the questions and I'll answer as many as I can. Since we're starting from scratch, I'll just make some up and answer them (it's easier that way, too).

Q: What's new with Zoom?

A:
    We've changed the number of tables that a Zoom pool counts for from four to three. That means that, in theory, you could play in eight different Zoom pool (if you play fast enough).

Q: Isn't SCOOP coming up soon?

A:
    Sure is; it starts tomorrow (Sunday, May 6th), runs for two weeks, and has guarantees of $30,000,000. With 40 different events, and each one offered at Low, Medium, and High stakes, there's something for everybody. Actually, a few things for everybody.

Q: Are you personally involved?

A:
    Glad you asked. They're going to let me get back on the rail like the old days when I spent my Sunday evenings hosting the Sunday Million final table. The first one I'm doing is the final table of SCOOP #2-M. The final table is on Monday the 7th, and should start around 7:30pm Eastern Time.

Furthermore, we've created a Home Games club where everybody can hang out, chat about SCOOP, root for your favorite players, and watch the final tables together. It's club #634789, invitation code "scoop2012". Whenever I'm a hosting a final table, I'll be in the club, chatting with players, answering questions, and just hanging out. If you want to get in on the conversation but aren't at your computer, tweet us with hashtag #scoopfan and we'll loop you in.

Q: Any more big superstar showdowns coming up?

A:
    For sure, like in a few minutes (2:00pm Eastern Time, Saturday, May 5th). Daniel Negreanu is going to play a limit hold'em match against "rUaBot". If you've never watched high-stakes HU limit hold'em, it's fairly insane - let's just say that there's not a lot of folding. And recall that the biggest series of poker games, ever, was limit hold'em (read about it in this book).

--------------------

That'll get us started for now. I gotta go grab a beer and get set to watch Daniel mix it up at high-stakes HU LHE. In the meantime, feel free to post questions in this thread and I'll answer as we go. I may not answer them every day - depending on how things go, I may collect a bunch and answer them every week or two. But I promise I'll stay in touch and answer everything I can.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Lee Jones
    Add Lee Jones to Rail
  2. I am looking forward to seeing you annouce the FTs again.

Lee - can you answer when Zoom MTTs and SNGs will begin? Also, will higher limits be offered at PLO and PLO8?
    Add wackyJaxon to Rail
  3. when will Pokerstars do an official annoucement about their rumored purchase of FTP ?

Add LiquidSw0rd to Rail
    Originally Posted by LiquidSw0rd View Post

when will Pokerstars do an official annoucement about their rumored purchase of FTP ?

+10000000000000000
    Add mcandrews3rd to Rail
    Originally Posted by wackyJaxon View Post

I am looking forward to seeing you annouce the FTs again.

Lee - can you answer when Zoom MTTs and SNGs will begin? Also, will higher limits be offered at PLO and PLO8?

I know we are working on Zoom MTTs and SNGs, but I don't know when they'll be offered. The general rule with those things is that we don't say, "We are going to offer on date ." When it seems like the right time has come (and that obviously includes being comfortable with the software quality), we release them. You will probably see them on the test client before they go live for real money.

Regards,
    Lee Jones
    Thread StarterAdd Lee Jones to Rail

when will Pokerstars do an official annoucement about their rumored purchase of FTP ?

this

Add NG3434 to Rail
  7. What happened to the red spade open??

It was announced and was a great idea with the multiple flights and stuff, then it just dissappeared and you guys never said if/when it was coming back

Bring it back!!
    Add Gags30 to Rail
  8. What do you think of Stpauli111 recent accomplishment on Pokerstars, and do you think it will ever be topped.
    How was he able to activate the superboom switch?

Add Gotskillz to Rail
  9. Will American players ever be allowed to play again? Any word on whats in the works?
    Add jimmy517 to Rail
  10. Pokerstars claims to offer fair games that can actually be beat.

Do you think PLO25 with a rake of over 20+bb/100 is a beatable game?

What about PLO400 with a rake of 6bbs/100 vs some of the toughest competition online?

Add xBERTx to Rail

+ a gabillion

Add McBain74 to Rail

^

Add PeaceGotAces to Rail
  13. Any words on status of zoom tournaments, sngs, etc?
    Add tercet to Rail
    Originally Posted by tercet View Post

Any words on status of zoom tournaments, sngs, etc?

Lee already answered this earlier in the thread.
    Add wackyJaxon to Rail
    Originally Posted by xBERTx View Post

Pokerstars claims to offer fair games that can actually be beat.

Do you think PLO25 with a rake of over 20+bb/100 is a beatable game?

What about PLO400 with a rake of 6bbs/100 vs some of the toughest competition online?

We've been over this in gruesome detail elsewhere. We have no plans to change the rake structure this year. That's not to say we won't change it, but there are no plans at the moment. Lots of factors determine whether a game is "beatable" and by what percentage of the population. We have no control over many of those factors (including the toughness of the players).

I really don't want to completely hijack this conversation with this topic because we've been over it multiple times. Let's just let it go for a while.

Best regards,
    Lee Jones

Originally Posted by jimmy517 View Post

Will American players ever be allowed to play again? Any word on whats in the works?

Just as a basic groundule, I'm not going to discuss the status of the American online poker market, either general speculation or as specifically regards PokerStars.

The whole of my answer is here. That is all that I (or any PokerStars employee) can say.

I realize that both of these are somewhat non-answers. But big enterprises just don't reveal their inner workings to the public - that's the nature of the beast. If you think about it for a moment, you'll realize that any other approach would be crazy.

Please know that as soon as we have information to share publicly we will do so. Until then, we appreciate your understanding and patience.

Regards,
    Lee Jones
    Edited By: Lee Jones May 7th, 2012 at 11:59 AM
  16. Unsure if this is the right place to ask, but I'll fire away.

I'd really like to be able to track how the quantity of rebuys/addons I've made in stars tourneys through holdem manager. HEM is really inaccurate in this regard. I'm wondering if something simple like putting the rebuys made by each player in the tourney summary or something could be done so I can actually import this stuff and get accurate results of my winrates in holdem manager. If your guys get with their guys for like 10 mins I'm sure a simple solution could be set up that would make alot of us tourney players really happy.

Add xBERTx to Rail
  17. could you guys TRY to get the PLO back to a decent gtd on sundays :(

<3 you Lee, glad your back with stars

Add StatusUp to Rail
    Originally Posted by xBERTx View Post

Unsure if this is the right place to ask, but I'll fire away.

I'd really like to be able to track how the quantity of rebuys/addons I've made in stars tourneys through holdem manager. HEM is really inaccurate in this regard. I'm wondering if something simple like putting the rebuys made by each player in the tourney summary or something could be done so I can actually import this stuff and get accurate results of my winrates in holdem manager. If your guys get with their guys for like 10 mins I'm sure a simple solution could be set up that would make alot of us tourney players really happy.

This is exactly the right place to ask that question. Let me speak to the product development manager and find out if we could do that. It seems like a perfectly reasonable idea at first blush, but of course it's also a question of where it goes in the devlopment queue.

Originally Posted by StatusUp View Post

could you guys TRY to get the PLO back to a decent gtd on sundays :(

<3 you Lee, glad your back with stars

Thank you for the kind words, Status - much appreciated. I don't know what we can do about the PLO guarantees. I mean, I know one guy who would love to play in the PLO events, but he's not allowed to. [1] But we can't force people to play a particular game, and there's not even much we can do to encourage interest in a particular game. I think you guys know that I am a huge advocate of people playing and being competent in different games. But we live in a world where TV is king and TV shows us NLH pretty much all the time.

I keep hoping that one of these days PLO will be as popular as NLH, but I'm not holding my breath.

Best regards,
    Lee Jones

[1] Me, ldo.
  19. Lee, is there any chance Pokerstars will open 10 game cash tables? It would include all the games in the 8 game along with NL27 single draw and Badugi. This was very popular on FTP and believe it would be a success amongst the mixed game players on Pokeerstars. The only drawback I can see would be that most of the 8 game players would move over to 10 game making those games die, but you wouldn't be losing your customer base there. Also, if you can open up some HU 8 game tables if this isn't possible. Lastly, the format FTP had for its mixed games was that the game changed every 10 hands. This makes play more fluid and would be great if Pokerstars could also change their format.

Last thing, is there any chance Pokerstars will create some Big "O" cash tables? I believe this would be very popular as well amongst PLO and PLO8 players and also have some nice pots. Pokerstars can experiment with this in ZOOM or in lower stakes cash before bringing it to higher limits. AFAIK, there aren't any sites that offer this, but its becoming more popular in a Live format.
    Edited By: wackyJaxon May 9th, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    Add wackyJaxon to Rail

Lee, is there any chance pokerstars will open 10 game cash tables? It would include all the games in the 8 game along with NL27 single draw and Badugi. [...] is there any chance Pokerstars will create some Big "O" cash tables?

Hi Jaxon -
    Honestly, this just isn't a hot topic at the moment. It's the same kind of issue as PLO tournament guarantees (above). Just to be fair, I opened up the PokerStars client. There are eight (count 'em) real-money 8-games running; the highest stakes game with six players (the most any game has) is $.50/$1. The Hold'em/Omaha mix (closest thing we have to Big O) has exactly one, 2-player $.10/$.25 game going.

We obviously could change the offerings, but it would just disrupt an already fragile market. We have to put our energy into areas where it can have big leverage, and unfortunately, mixed games (of any sort) just have not developed a huge following. You often hear the argument that mixed games are the truest test of poker ability; in fact, I agree. But that's a very different statement than saying they're popular, which they provably are not.

I'm afraid you're not going to see a change to our mixed game offerings any time soon. Obviously we will continue to listen and consider, but I wouldn't hold out hope for near-term changes.

Best regards,
    Lee Jones
    Originally Posted by Lee Jones View Post

I know we are working on Zoom MTTs and SNGs, but I don't know when they'll be offered.

Sad to hear this. I hate the idea of Zoom mtts and can only see them costing everyone (regular players, fish and even the site) money. Regs will have to drop a ton of tables to play these things and as table dynamics are removed from the equation the game just becomes a HUD-fest. Winning players edges are reduced; marginal winning grinders take a cut to their hourly; the site rakes less as fewer MTSNGs run and MTT fields are reduced; the recreational players still get crushed but just in a different way. Everybody loses.

Originally Posted by Gags30 View Post

What happened to the red spade open??

It was announced and was a great idea with the multiple flights and stuff, then it just dissappeared and you guys never said if/when it was coming back

Bring it back!!

Would definitely like to see this idea return though, any news Lee?

Add imwatchingyo to Rail
  22. Zoom mtts would be very good for winning players. Seeing more hands/hour is always a win
    Add gbmantis to Rail
  23. Also posted on the Stars purchases FTP thread an article has been posted that the deal is all but done and we can expect an announcement by the end of this month. Is Stars planning on running FTP as a separate site or combining both?
    Add CANUKEH44 to Rail
  24. He's obviously not going to answer that.....

Add Acanthopis to Rail
    Originally Posted by Acanthopis View Post

He's obviously not going to answer that.....

No harm in trying right?
    Anyway, I did have a rather reasonable request and I hope Lee comes back and answers or at least takes a look at it.

Stars has a good customer base in Canada. What's the chances of doing a Canadian version of the EPT?
    Pokerstars Canadian Tour has a nice ring to it. I am sure you would have no problem getting a lot of players.
    10 Provinces, 10 dates. At least try 1 and see how it goes.
    Add CANUKEH44 to Rail