[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. Who you got?

C- Matt Wieters- not even close.
    1B- Adrian Gonzalez- Teixeira and surprisingly Mark Trumbo (leads AL 1B in DRS) aren't that far behind.
    2B- Dustin Pedroia- Howie Kendrick 2nd, with Kinsler finishing 3rd.
    3B- Adrian Beltre- Evan Longoria is super close and I have no problem with someone choosing Longo because of innings played.
    SS- Alexei Ramirez- If Jeter wins the award again, they should just stop awarding Gold Gloves.
    OF- Peter Bourjos- Best defensive CF in the baseball and has a strong accurate arm too.
    OF- Brett Gardner- I'm still shocked that the Yankees continue to put the worst defensive CF in baseball (Granderson) in CF over Gardner.
    OF- Jacoby Ellsbury- Excellent CF that gets to a ton of balls. Average to below average arm, but the jumps he gets on balls along with his closing speed more than make up for any deficiencies with his arm.

Add gamma21 to Rail
  2. I would be shocked if Alexei gets the recognition he deserves. They usually give these awards to big names so not sure if Bourjos gets it either. What about pitcher?
    Add BRm34eva to Rail
  3. Jeter gets it, and Franklin Gutierrez gets it over Bourjos
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail
  4. I think Bourjos is great, but I still don't think he'll get a GG this year. Deserving or not, Jeter is probably more likely to end up with one.
    Add kellykip to Rail
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

Jeter gets it, and Franklin Gutierrez gets it over Bourjos

Anything is possible, but the award is voted on by managers and coaches. When you have someone like Ozzie Guillen saying Bourjos is his favorite player that probably means managers and coaches are taking notice of his ability.

Thread StarterAdd gamma21 to Rail
    Originally Posted by gamma21 View Post

Anything is possible, but the award is voted on by managers and coaches. When you have someone like Ozzie Guillen saying Bourjos is his favorite player that probably means managers and coaches are taking notice of his ability.

i was half joking, i dont think Jeter deserves it (not that that matters to voters), and if Bourjos won I wouldnt complain
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail

i was half joking, i dont think Jeter deserves it (not that that matters to voters), and if Bourjos won I wouldnt complain

The sad thing is, it wouldn't shock me if Jeter won again. It's scary how little some managers know about player performance.

8. Shouldn't Asdrubal Cabrera be getting some love? Dude's on Sportscenter every night...

Add sanzard to Rail
  9. C- Wieters is a lock- lol @ anyone winning the GG other than him in the next 12 years.
    1B- Gonzo will i am sure win it, but I think Trumbo deserves it.
    2b- Kendrick
    SS- Alexi
    3B- Beltre
    OF- Gardner
    OF- Ellsbury
    OF- I still like Ichrio for this, winning it just like Jeter has ever in his career.
    Add sellittojohn to Rail
    Originally Posted by sanzard View Post

Shouldn't Asdrubal Cabrera be getting some love? Dude's on Sportscenter every night...

Web gems don't make a player the best defender at his position. Alexei Ramirez has easily been the best defensive SS in the AL this season.

Originally Posted by sellittojohn View Post

C- Wieters is a lock- lol @ anyone winning the GG other than him in the next 12 years.
    1B- Gonzo will i am sure win it, but I think Trumbo deserves it.
    2b- Kendrick
    SS- Alexi
    3B- Beltre
    OF- Gardner
    OF- Ellsbury
    OF- I still like Ichrio for this, winning it just like Jeter has ever in his career.

This is who deserves to win thread and there's just no way Ichiro deserves to win this year over Gardner, Bourjos, Ellsbury, or Austin Jackson.
    Edited By: gamma21 Sep 2nd, 2011 at 11:23 PM

11. Granderson is far from the worst CF in the league (If you replace his UZR score this year with his one from last year, he leads MLB in WAR). One year defensive stats are pretty meaningless and outfield defense stats in general are particularly questionable in my opinion. Ellsbury is first in UZR this year among AL OF, but only Vernon Wells was worse than him in 2009. The guy also lost his job to a 37 year old to start last year.

It seems wrong to not give one to Guitirez.

If Beltre is getting a GG while missing a bunch of games then I'd like to see Zobrist get one for 2B. He splits time there, but dude is amazing.

Alexei has a shot. If it was writers voting, I think he would definitely get it. I think most people realize he and Tulo are the class of the position. Managers don't seem to give a shit, though.
    Add keylight to Rail
  12. Granderson worst defensive CF in baseball? Huh?!

Add nyy486 to Rail
    Originally Posted by nyy486 View Post

Granderson worst defensive CF in baseball? Huh?!

Worst in the AL and it isn't really that close.

Franklin Gutierrez gets it over Bourjos

Gutierrez is Easily the best defensive OF in baseball!
    Edited By: ripomatic Sep 3rd, 2011 at 12:03 AM
    Add ripomatic to Rail
  15. You are alone in this opinion.

edit: I agree that Gardner is probably better than Granderson. Cashman even pretty much said this when they traded for him. I don't think it's that a huge a difference, though and with the size of LF in Yankee Stadium, I doubt they lose more than a handful of runs over a full season. If they did make the switch, though, I bet Granderson outperforms Gardner on UZR due to how the Yankees position their outfield.
    Edited By: keylight Sep 3rd, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    Add keylight to Rail
  16. wasnt ot on an alexei is a horrible defender kick like 2 years ago? ill dig a bit

EDIT: http://www.pocketfives.com/f13/no-de...9/#post3216588

no one in here who said him so far... and he was playing 2b then. and im sure ppl had numbers and all that, but still. did his defense just improve drastically or do the numbers alone not paint that clear of a picture?
    Edited By: Ozzie Sep 3rd, 2011 at 12:21 AM
    Add Ozzie to Rail
  17. No chance Granderson is worst CF in the AL, not this year .

Without watching anyone else on a reg basis, I put Curtis in slightly above average area.
    Add Pker4Dummies to Rail
    Originally Posted by keylight View Post

Granderson is far from the worst CF in the league (If you replace his UZR score this year with his one from last year, he leads MLB in WAR). One year defensive stats are pretty meaningless and outfield defense stats in general are particularly questionable in my opinion. Ellsbury is first in UZR this year among AL OF, but only Vernon Wells was worse than him in 2009. The guy also lost his job to a 37 year old to start last year.

If Beltre is getting a GG while missing a bunch of games then I'd like to see Zobrist get one for 2B. He splits time there, but dude is amazing.

Alexei has a shot. If it was writers voting, I think he would definitely get it. I think most people realize he and Tulo are the class of the position. Managers don't seem to give a shit, though.

So with you wanting to give the GG to Gutierrez and Ellsbury, I guess you're leaving Gardner out then?

Originally Posted by ripomatic View Post

Easily the best defensive OF in baseball!

Who is easily the best defensive OF in baseball?
    Edited By: gamma21 Sep 3rd, 2011 at 12:01 AM

19. I wanted to leave Ellsbury out, but I don't watch him enough to have a real strong opinion. I used to think GG should go pretty much exclusively to CF, but the amazing, incredible, pediatric cancer curing awesomeness of Gardner (guy is 12th in MLB over the past 2 years in WAR, it's not even debateable he's the most underrated player) has changed my mind a bit on that. The guy covers more ground than every other LF due to the size YS and how the yankees shift their outfield right. I'm still fine with leaving with him off because he's a LF, but I'm confident he contributes more than Crawford did those years he won.
    Add keylight to Rail

Web gems don't make a player the best defender at his position. Alexei Ramirez has easily been the best defensive SS in the AL this season.

This is who deserves to win thread and there's just no way Ichiro deserves to win this year over Gardner, Bourjos, Ellsbury, or Austin Jackson.

Couldn't agree more, and TBH i forgot all about Austin Jackson. Jackson >> Ellsbury for my vote. I love Bourjos and honestly think he should win the GG, but as is the case last year, with Jeter winning, i have a feeling he gets screwed.
    Add sellittojohn to Rail

Worst in the AL and it isn't really that close.

Now that Corey Paterson got traded to the NL tho

Originally Posted by sanzard View Post

Shouldn't Asdrubal Cabrera be getting some love? Dude's on Sportscenter every night...

thats what I thought initially, then I looked up his numbers
    Edited By: TMLMS13 Sep 3rd, 2011 at 12:47 AM
    Add TMLMS13 to Rail
  22. I read the title as 2011 Al Gore Winners

I think I'd rather talk about Al Gore as opposed to the Gold Glove Winners. Right below All-Star selections for credibility.
    Add d1am0ndc to Rail
  23. I don't care at all about who wins, but I agree with all of gamma's selections.
    Add krs33 to Rail
  24. Ichiro has been TERRIBLE this year.
    Add Stopthatquit to Rail
    Originally Posted by Stopthatquit View Post

Ichiro has been TERRIBLE this year.

but watch him get one based on reputation
    Add TMLMS13 to Rail
  26. jeter , cano, arod, granderson, swisher, texeria, burnett, gardner, ortiz
    Edited By: Jwilkinson Sep 3rd, 2011 at 02:14 AM

Add Jwilkinson to Rail
  27. Austin Jackson in center. Gets to balls no-one else can.
    Add RANDYPET to Rail
  28. CF GG comes out of the AL West. LOCK
    Edited By: Stopthatquit Sep 3rd, 2011 at 04:17 AM
    Reason: I realize GG's aren't OF position specific
    Add Stopthatquit to Rail
    Originally Posted by RANDYPET View Post

Austin Jackson in center. Gets to balls no-one else can.

Not true. Bourjos covers even more ground than Austin Jackson. Another stat I didn't post was that of dWAR. Bourjos currently sits at 1.2, while Gutierrez sits at 0.2, Jackson at 0.5, Ellsbury at 0.9, Granderson 0.0 this year and last year, and Gardner 3.0.

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/index.p...bourjos-catch/

I still can't believe the Yankees haven't moved Gardner to CF. Dude is easily the best defensive LF in baseball and I have little doubt that he'd be a top 5 defensive CF in all of baseball.

Originally Posted by keylight View Post

Does not compute since Beltre has 100 more AB's than Gutierrez does this year.
    Edited By: gamma21 Sep 3rd, 2011 at 03:01 AM

30. I guess no one has told them Granderson is by far the worst CF in the league.

yeah, I have no problem with Beltre getting it.
    Add keylight to Rail