[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. This is a great, touching story about the early years of the late great Thin Lizzy lead man Phil Lynott, as told by his mother. I'll never understand how Lynott is so unheralded by the same music public that celebrates 'live fast, die young' to the extent that it does - especially with what an incredible talent he was.

I loved this article, and how open she is with what she went through.

I'll admit, I definitely lost it with that line at the end.

http://www.theworld.org/2012/10/the-...r-phil-lynott/

Edited By: kellykip May 31st, 2013 at 06:06 PM
  2. CoolHandKev is going to jerk off to this thread. Can't wait to read the article.

Edit: Great article. O Rale is going to jerk off to it too.
    Edited By: Z-Fresh May 31st, 2013 at 06:21 PM
  3. Dying at 36 doesn't really fit the "Live fast, die young" thing that well imo. Ya it is relatively pretty young to die at 36, but the real live fast, die young types die in their early 20s.
    Edited By: Gotskillz May 31st, 2013 at 06:43 PM

4. 36 is WAY young to die.

<--- turns 36 on Tuesday
  5. lol saw this thread and did a double take thinking I must be looking at my PM sent file or something

Phil is a legend. I have a couple DVDs about his life and it's a sad story. He was loved by everyone that ever met him but he always had a sadness deep down for some reason. He told his close friends that he wanted to go out on top he didn't want to fade away into obscurity. He actually wanted to go early in a Hendrix sort of way and sadly that's exactly what happened.

He is one of the greatest song writers of all time. Songs like Roisin Dubh (which references the mighty Cu Chulainn who was a fictional badass who "would fight and always won and how they cried when he had fallen" - which according to friends was another example of how Phil wanted to go as he was obsessed with Cu Chulainn). Or Southbound/Dancing in the Moonlight/Hollywood/The Rocker/Romeo and the lonely girl/Running Back/etc etc all with not only amazing guitar/bass and drums (Holy fuck is Brian Downey the most underrated drummer ever or what?) but the lyrics paint a picture as you listen to them. He wrote one of the best power ballads of all time before power ballads were really a thing with Still in Love with You. He wrote THE greatest anthem of all time with The Boys are Back in Town (funny enough after they wrote the Jailbreak album and were about to tour they discussed whether to include that on the setlist or not - they had no clue how big of a hit it was going to become). Normally you hate the popular song from your favorite bands but that song is just so fucking amazing that I sing every single word every time I hear it even after 1 million listens.

RIP Phil

okay gonna read that article now, sorry for the random rant both of you know via PMs that I love talking music and especially about bands like Lizzy

edit by both I meant KK and Z obv. gotskillz hadn't posted when I was typing
    Edited By: coolhandkev May 31st, 2013 at 06:56 PM
  6. thank god she didn't drink that hot gin!
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

thank god she didn't drink that hot gin!

no doubt.

Still pisses me off that he isn't really given his due; and it really confuses me
    Originally Posted by kellykip View Post

no doubt.

Still pisses me off that he isn't really given his due; and it really confuses me

Yeah it's bizarre, I just try to spread the word as much as I can but at the end of the day America is just fucktarded about music. For instance: I've read about 13,000 articles over the years and have seen Deep Purple pop up as a major influence for huge bands in like 12,950 of those articles. Their influence is beyond comprehension for rock n roll music. In the states people know Smoke on the Water and think they're a one hit wonder.

Same goes for guys like Phil. He is rightfully at legendary status in Europe and obviously especially Ireland (talked to a guy from Ireland who played in a band at a bar I was at and he goes home once a year and makes sure to visit Phil's grave each time) but again in the states most "rock fans" don't know who he is. If they know he is from Lizzy then they think the two hit wonder band (Jailbreak and Boys are back). It's just sick.

Thank god there are people like Eddie Trunk spreading the good word out there. I listen to his show weekly on Sirius and it's a breath of fresh air. He just had Scott Gorham on a few weeks ago and basically went on a rant with them about this exact issue in the states. He said how weird it is to play in Europe to a monster crowd where everyone sings every word to every song then to come here and play and see an audience minus coolhandkev only knowing 2 songs. It's why a lot of bands won't even come to the states anymore.

It sucks just gotta keep spreading the good word.
    Originally Posted by Gotskillz View Post

Dying at 36 doesn't really fit the "Live fast, die young" thing that well imo. Ya it is relatively pretty young to die at 36, but the real live fast, die young types die in their early 20s.

lol 36 absolutely fits the "live fast die young" criteria.

Yeah it's bizarre, I just try to spread the word as much as I can but at the end of the day America is just fucktarded about music. For instance: I've read about 13,000 articles over the years and have seen Deep Purple pop up as a major influence for huge bands in like 12,950 of those articles. Their influence is beyond comprehension for rock n roll music. In the states people know Smoke on the Water and think they're a one hit wonder.

Same goes for guys like Phil. He is rightfully at legendary status in Europe and obviously especially Ireland (talked to a guy from Ireland who played in a band at a bar I was at and he goes home once a year and makes sure to visit Phil's grave each time) but again in the states most "rock fans" don't know who he is. If they know he is from Lizzy then they think the two hit wonder band (Jailbreak and Boys are back). It's just sick.

Thank god there are people like Eddie Trunk spreading the good word out there. I listen to his show weekly on Sirius and it's a breath of fresh air. He just had Scott Gorham on a few weeks ago and basically went on a rant with them about this exact issue in the states. He said how weird it is to play in Europe to a monster crowd where everyone sings every word to every song then to come here and play and see an audience minus coolhandkev only knowing 2 songs. It's why a lot of bands won't even come to the states anymore.

It sucks just gotta keep spreading the good word.

yep well said. We're definitely pretty far behind the UK in terms of appreciation rock music.

And Eddie Trunk is the shit.

Been in the mood to rock some Deep Purple and some JLT-Era Rainbow lately.
  11. Agree with everything CHK posted. He almost lost his shit when I told him there was maybe 50 people at the UFO show I went to earlier this year. Was honestly one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Props to him for getting me into these guys. Sirius radio is a great medium for discovering new music. I can't tell you how many great garage bands I've discovered listening to Little Steven's Underground Garage

yep well said. We're definitely pretty far behind the UK in terms of appreciation rock music.

And Eddie Trunk is the shit.

Been in the mood to rock some Deep Purple and some JLT-Era Rainbow lately.

Read something a few months back and it mentioned who Ritchie Blackmore thought was the best singer he had ever played with. Ronnie James Dio? Ian Gillan? David Coverdale? Glenn Hughes? NOPE. He said Joe Lynn Turner was the best singer he ever played with.

Originally Posted by Z-Fresh View Post

Agree with everything CHK posted. He almost lost his shit when I told him there was maybe 50 people at the UFO show I went to earlier this year. Was honestly one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Props to him for getting me into these guys. Sirius radio is a great medium for discovering new music. I can't tell you how many great garage bands I've discovered listening to Little Steven's Underground Garage

Yeah amazing show isn't it? I was shocked esp that in CA it drew such a small crowd as LA area is one of the few places that gets it for the most part.

Speaking of greatest shows. Surprisingly as I look back at the last 5 years or so one of my favorites is the Scorpions show I saw last summer. Holy shit that was an awesome show. The ironic thing is I went to see Tesla as I wasn't a huge scorpions fan at the time and they blew me away even at 70 years old. Awesome band and show
  13. Saw the Stones last week. It's amazing how much Mick can move and run around that stage at almost 70. He sounded great too.
    Originally Posted by Z-Fresh View Post

Saw the Stones last week. It's amazing how much Mick can move and run around that stage at almost 70. He sounded great too.

I'm trying to find a way to make it to their last Chicago night this Monday. I just don't know if I'll be able to get off work in time to make it there. If I can I'm just gonna go and try and grab a ticket outside the stadium. Really want to go.

Fuck it I'm gonna scan craigslist now too and just get a ticket

edit: holy shit nevermind just looked and tickets are absurdly priced. Gonna save that money and degen in Vegas a little more
    Edited By: coolhandkev May 31st, 2013 at 08:18 PM
  15. Speaking of JLT, you ever listen to his Fandango stuff?

And gimme your rankings of the Thin Lizzy records

Speaking of JLT, you ever listen to his Fandango stuff?

And gimme your rankings of the Thin Lizzy records

I haven't but am youtubing some Fandango now to check it out

Thin Lizzy albums:

1. Jailbreak - the easy choice just stacked from top to bottom with no clunkers. One of the greatest rock albums of all time.
    2. Fighting
    3. Live and Dangerous

After that I honestly don't know the albums all that well. I explored Lizzy through a collection of songs as opposed to going through CD by CD. The only CDs I ever owned by them were Jailbreak and Fighting. This is reminding me I need to go through all the CDs I guarantee I'm missing some gold
  17. He looks different in this picture:

I haven't but am youtubing some Fandango now to check it out

what did you think? not your style?
    Originally Posted by Hateflops View Post

lol 36 absolutely fits the "live fast die young" criteria.

no, no it fucking doesn't.

20. Phil Lynott is such a boss. Looks like such a badass too. Jailbreak is for sure his best record, it's one album that I can listen the whole way through without having to skip a tune I don't like. That's a rarity. My dad got to see Thin Lizzy play once when he was younger, would swap any band I've seen to see 'em play!
    Edited By: JDoug Jun 1st, 2013 at 01:56 AM

21. just fantasic documentary. I love his mum so much; what an awesome lady
    Edited By: kellykip Jun 1st, 2013 at 02:37 AM