[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. The American Cancer Society has turned down a donation worth $500,000 from the Foundation Beyond Belief, a secular charity funded by atheists, freethinkers, and humanists.

http://www.examiner.com/humanist-in-...-from-atheists

cue religious debate go!

Add MattElsarelli to Rail
  2. They obv dont need the money to find a cure for or treat cancer.... God will send them the answers
    Edited By: Realbigfish4 Oct 20th, 2011 at 03:59 AM
    Add Realbigfish4 to Rail
  3. As a cancer survivor who believes in higher power, well played. I don't want any of the filthy tainted monies those idiots are offerring. GFY atheists, you don't know anything. Go protest wall street or something "productive" that makes you feel smarter than the rest of the world.
    Add Mr323 to Rail
  4. buncha goddam cousin fuckers if ya ask me.
    Add Reech to Rail
    Originally Posted by Mr323 View Post

As a cancer survivor who believes in higher power, well played. I don't want any of the filthy tainted monies those idiots are offerring. GFY atheists, you don't know anything. Go protest wall street or something "productive" that makes you feel smarter than the rest of the world.

why are they idiots? They have their opinions. Mind you I am far from religious but would not consider myself an atheist. I will not say anyones religious beliefs as idiotic, I really want to kinow why they are
    Add Decatur217 to Rail
  6. not personally a cancer survior but as most people know people who have passed from it, this is bullshit. This is Science. Find a cure for cancer for people of EVERY/ALL/ANY/NONE/MULTI-RELIGOUS/WORSHIPS SUN FLOWER SEED believers. Find a Cure.
    Add joeykukzMSU to Rail

As a cancer survivor who believes in higher power, well played. I don't want any of the filthy tainted monies those idiots are offerring. GFY atheists, you don't know anything. Go protest wall street or something "productive" that makes you feel smarter than the rest of the world.

notsureifserious.jpg
    Add Lord Supremo to Rail
  8. wtf
    Add Crystal extacY to Rail

I can only hope this is a joke post.

I also just looked this up to find out more information since the OP article seems shady. The ACS responded w/:

The Foundation sought to participate in Relay For Life’s National Team Program, which is a program for corporate donors and supporters. The Foundation Beyond Belief is not a corporate entity, so our representative offered alternatives to the National Team Program that are consistent with the way in which Relay For Life works with other foundations, student groups, social and philosophical organizations, and other types of groups across the country that do not meet the criteria of the National Team Program. Our representative encouraged participation by the Foundation Beyond Belief at the community level, and offered to make introductions to local Relay events in communities wherever the Foundation has affiliates across the country. The Society has similar relationships with millions of individuals representing similar organizations nationwide.

It is true that there are some recognition benefits available only to groups that are part of the National Team Program, and it is regrettable that some people may feel offended that the Foundation Beyond Belief would not be eligible to take advantage of those benefits. In managing Relay For Life, with thousands of community events and millions of passionate participants nationwide, we strive to deal fairly and consistently with everyone.

Turns out FBB is actually a corporation, and there are other non-profits under the same classification also participating:

We’re a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation.

Furthermore, there are other groups on the current National Team list which fall in the same category as the Foundation Beyond Belief. Sigma Alpha Lambda, for example, is also a “501(c)(3) non-profit leadership and honors organization.”

Also turns out that some guy was offering $250k matching for whatever the FBB team raised. The ACS was non-responsive over months of trying to set it all up, and then when they did respond they were very hostile to the idea.

It's all he-said she-said so it's not obvious who is right or wrong, but on first glance it seems odd that an organization like ACS would ever be opposed to such an offer.
    Edited By: Hoooo Oct 20th, 2011 at 04:19 AM
    Add Hoooo to Rail
  10. Wow! Didn't realize the ACS was a religious organization.
    Add Dyzalot to Rail
  11. I'm not being serious, and I'm not religious at all. I'm spiritual and believe that we are not the top of the food chain in this plane of existence.
    Add Mr323 to Rail

so did god save you from cancer?...lol
  13. (1) The ACS did not turn down $500,000. The figure represents what the FBB thought they could raise through the ACS' Relay for Life.

(2) The ACS did not say they would not accept the FBB's donations. The Relay for Life is a corporate event, and the ACS says that the FBB does not qualify as a corporation.

-------------------
    But hey, don't let the whole story get in the way of a good discussion.

Add SpankyHamm to Rail
    Originally Posted by joeykukzMSU View Post

Find a Cure.

No way... Have you seen the economy? Theres far more money to be made in "treatments" and "research" than there is in actually curing people... geesh... what kind of commy are you?
    Add Realbigfish4 to Rail

Probably the Jerry Yang type too... the kind that prays at the poker table... GTFO
    Add turtomic76 to Rail
    Originally Posted by SpankyHamm View Post

(1) The ACS did not turn down $500,000. The figure represents what the FBB thought they could raise through the ACS' Relay for Life.

(2) The ACS did not say they would not accept the FBB's donations. The Relay for Life is a corporate event, and the ACS says that the FBB does not qualify as a corporation.

-------------------

But hey, lets ignore the fact that FBB is in fact a corporation...
    Add Dyzalot to Rail

I'm not being serious, and I'm not religious at all. I'm spiritual and believe that we are not the top of the food chain in this plane of existence.

lol wp then, got me. I fail at finding sarcasm. I need a drink.
    Add Decatur217 to Rail

(1) The ACS did not turn down $500,000. The figure represents what the FBB thought they could raise through the ACS' Relay for Life.

-------------------

Except I just posted those things, and the arguments are that (1) Todd Stiefel offered $250,000 right off the top, and (2) the FBB is a corporation and other corporations of the same type are participating.

This also doesn't explain their lack of communication and general hostility towards the group.

It's all strange.
    Add Hoooo to Rail
    Originally Posted by turtomic76 View Post

Probably the Jerry Yang type too... the kind that prays at the poker table... GTFO

Oh, like you never thought "Please God let my AA vs J10 suited aipf hooold juan time" for 350bbs
    Add Mr323 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post

But hey, lets ignore the fact that FBB is in fact a corporation...

The ACS said that, not me.

But hey, let's make sure we get our daily complement of snarkiness in. It's part of a complete breakfast.

Add SpankyHamm to Rail
  21. wgaf if they are considered a corporation on not? take them money and help some people ffs
    Add MustbeMoore to Rail

-------------------

The article in OP clearly states both 1 and 2, It's not trying to lie or exaggerate. I simply copied the title of the article to get moar hits obv. (and generate discussion)

and why doesn't the FBB qualify as a corporation again?
    Edited By: MattElsarelli Oct 20th, 2011 at 04:20 AM
    Reason: question not directed at you spanky, just in general

Thread StarterAdd MattElsarelli to Rail
  23. For the neewbs, I was diagnosed Stage IV B lymphoma in 2002. I credit the donations, experimental drugs and participants who didn't make it, and the scientists who have developed the new drugs for my survival.

That being said.......;)
    Add Mr323 to Rail

The ACS said that, not me.

But hey, let's make sure we get our daily complement of snarkiness in. It's part of a complete breakfast.

You started the snarkiness. I was just continuing in the same vein.

This seemed like it was appropriate for this thread.

Cheerleaders at Gilbert High School in Gilbert, Ariz., can’t wear the pink t-shirts they bought to raise money for breast cancer research because the school’s administrators claim the slogan they bear is inappropriate. According to a Thursday report in the Arizona Republic, the squad’s shirts say “Feel for lumps, save your bumps,” and the team planned to wear them during the school’s football games during their cheers on the field and while collecting money from the crowd.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...222837009.html
    Add Dyzalot to Rail
  25. mr323 are you a believer?
  26. cliffs:

Originally Posted by American Cancer Society

Get to praying cause we ain't saving shit.

Edited By: Autolobotomist Oct 20th, 2011 at 04:37 AM
    Add Autolobotomist to Rail
    Originally Posted by Reech View Post

buncha goddam cousin fuckers if ya ask me.

Chances are this is true btw...
    Add PoWdA to Rail

I'm not being serious, and I'm not religious at all. I'm spiritual and believe that we are not the top of the food chain in this plane of existence.

I refuse to pray to a god that eats people
    Add userid363 to Rail
  29. Add PoWdA to Rail