[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

Originally Posted by Milo View Post

Sax, how do you think that uber-cool studio got built. What you saw in that video is very close to how the system works up here. Gov't ships the $$$ to the tribes, and the Chiefs decide how it is spent. Third World corruption at it's best. And, when things go from bad to worse, just hit up the Feds for more $$$.

I'm not going to defend the goings on there because as you know, there is some question as to the legality of where the money comes from. You may have seen a piece run by CBC or W5 on some of the key players and it wasn't a pretty picture. Never the less, they do have a highly successful business and the chief has several native charities that he supports. I was told he built the studio because he wanted to have control of producing native musical talent (and make a nice profit) rather than pay others to do it.

As far as government money goes, i don't know how much they get in grants or land claims payments, or what they do with that money. At the end of the day, if treaties were signed to settle disputes, the native peoples are entitle to that money. How the leaders distribute it is another issue.
  2. "If properly ratified then treaties are as law"

So when the government has broken these treaties over and over again, what is the proper recourse? I really hope you aren't thinking "the courts" right now.

Originally Posted by Milo View Post

Sax, how do you think that uber-cool studio got built. What you saw in that video is very close to how the system works up here. Gov't ships the $$$ to the tribes, and the Chiefs decide how it is spent. Third World corruption at it's best. And, when things go from bad to worse, just hit up the Feds for more $$$.

But the government also has been shown to make sure they keep certain amenable leaders in power to continue this relationship. It's the same abroad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Wi...ibal_chairman)
    Originally Posted by nowapowa View Post

"If properly ratified then treaties are as law"

So when the government has broken these treaties over and over again, what is the proper recourse? I really hope you aren't thinking "the courts" right now.

Why not the courts? If I think the government has violated my rights that's where I must go.
    Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post

Why not the courts? If I think the government has violated my rights that's where I must go.

The courts are going to side with the extension of state reach and power by default. They have consistently served to legitimize the state's encroachment on native land and the rejection of treaties past.

More on this later.
  5. how much does op hate america on a scale of 1-10?

oh thats right, he loves if for all the handout he gets but hates shit philosophically

I hear in antarticta they didnt slaughter the indigenous...please move hero

The courts are going to side with the extension of state reach and power by default. They have consistently served to legitimize the state's encroachment on native land and the rejection of treaties past.

More on this later.

The same could be said for my rights.

The same could be said for my rights.

sure. and the rights of people to have clean air, water and land go with those as well.

Originally Posted by 36crazyfists View Post

how much does op hate america on a scale of 1-10?

oh thats right, he loves if for all the handout he gets but hates shit philosophically

I hear in antarticta they didnt slaughter the indigenous...please move hero

no I hate shit historically/realistically. I love shit philosophically.

sure. and the rights of people to have clean air, water and land go with those as well.

No one has a "right" to those things. They do have a right to not have their air, water and land polluted without their consent.

No one has a "right" to those things. They do have a right to not have their air, water and land polluted without their consent.

Who is they? You seem to contradict yourself a lot. From what I understand from other posts on other subjects you don't give a fuck about anybody at all. Who is allowed to give consent in your mind MR. Knowitall?
    Originally Posted by rocket5 View Post

Who is they? You seem to contradict yourself a lot. From what I understand from other posts on other subjects you don't give a fuck about anybody at all. Who is allowed to give consent in your mind MR. Knowitall?

The owner of the property. Where have I contradicted myself? And why do you think I don't care about anyone?