[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. The law would remove any federal regulation of pot, and it would leave it to the states to impose any regulations. This would be a huge step towards legal pot. How awesome would it be to get pot legalized and online poker legalized before the end of the year?

This is why this matters:

"Sixteen states and the District of Columbia — including the “Left Coast” of Washington, Oregon and California — have voted to allow medical use of marijuana — with a doctor’s prescription — to relieve pain. But federal laws against possession and sale of marijuana have continued in force."

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepol...-legalize-pot/
    Edited By: Gronksknee Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    Add Gronksknee to Rail

2. Edited By: TheWacoKidd Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
  3. Fuckin A
    Add Allizbats to Rail
  4. ahhh, quick edit by waco. thought it had something to do with obama.

i get it now.
    Edited By: RUBINH Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    Add RUBINH to Rail
  5. aren't most weed offenses prosecuted under state law though? maybe I'm missing something but I don't think it would change weed regulation in practice, for the most part.

obviously it's the 1st step toward true deregulation but there's little chance this gains traction. fingers crossed though.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
    Originally Posted by Hank H1LL View Post

aren't most weed offenses prosecuted under state law though? maybe I'm missing something but I don't think it would change weed regulation in practice, for the most part.

obviously it's the 1st step toward true deregulation but there's little chance this gains traction. fingers crossed though.

the feds have been raiding medical marijuana operations in states where it is legal
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail

aren't most weed offenses prosecuted under state law though? maybe I'm missing something but I don't think it would change weed regulation in practice, for the most part.

A huge problem is federal uncertainty. There are plenty of reports where marijuana stores are raided by federal agents not by the state authorities.

On top of that, there's a lot of movement in some states to move towards legal weed, and this would be a huge push in that direction. I'm guessing some states will not legalize it, but leaving it up to the states will lead to legalization in many places, especially due to the weak economy. It's a big step forward in my opinion.
    Thread StarterAdd Gronksknee to Rail
  8. A state with weed is a state for me
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  9. yea, that's the only thing I could come up with. it would still be illegal to privately possess/sell in most states, just like it is today.

<3

Originally Posted by edwardt1988 View Post

I'm guessing some states will not legalize it, but leaving it up to the states will lead to legalization in many places, especially due to the weak economy. It's a big step forward in my opinion.

agree with this. any idea how much support they'll find for this bill?
    Edited By: Hank H1LL Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  10. great move by Paul...going to get some press on this one...maybe he can sway some more people to libertarian
    Add Bawb420 to Rail

yea, that's the only thing I could come up with. it would still be illegal to privately possess/sell in most states, just like it is today.

already legal in various ways to grow/consume/posses and even sell in 16 states... if you don't think the vast majority would follow suit after federal decriminalization, I don't know what to tell you. this is a MASSIVE first step, even if this bill doesn't gain any traction. just the fact that after 40 years they are finally trying is huge.

stop being a:

Edited By: TheWacoKidd Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail

agree with this. any idea how much support they'll find for this bill?

I'm guessing they will get plenty of support. I'd expect plenty of Tea Party and Republicans to rally behind Ron Paul, especially since this does not Legalize pot, but it gives the right to do so to the states. I'd imagine that would be a big selling point

I also expect liberal democrats to rally behind this law, especially the ones in whose states this is already occurring.

I think it has a decent chance to go forward.

Its actually quite the opposite. There are still Federal laws in place that forbid legalization so it really doesn't matter if the states have it legalized cuz the Feds can come in and enforce Federal Law. This would leave it up to the states and so then they can decide on their own if they want to legalize with no fear of Federal ramifications.

In my opinion if this gains any traction in Washington this is a larger step towards legalization much more so then if legalization was passed in Cali this past November
    Edited By: xxACES UPxx Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:43 PM
    Add xxACES UPxx to Rail
  14. would be nice if it happened
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail
  15. I told my fiancee this would happen in the next 10 years about a week ago. Didn't expect it to happen in next 10 days. pretty sweet
    Add Cmoney3 to Rail
  16. good luck getting republicans to back this thing
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
    Originally Posted by TheWacoKidd View Post

the feds have been raiding medical marijuana operations in states where it is legal

Yeah feds shut down the dispensaries here in Spokane. This bill would be a huge step in the right direction imo.
    Add gutbirdxx to Rail
    Originally Posted by Cmoney3 View Post

I told my fiancee this would happen in the next 10 years about a week ago. Didn't expect it to happen in next 10 days. pretty sweet

haha what happened exactly?

a bill which will prob never make it out of committee was created???

too many powerful interests have too much to lose by allowing weed to be legal...aint gonna fuckin happen

sadly

Add 36crazyfists to Rail
  19. there will always be a strong interest from tobacco corps in suppressing legalization, but eventually, perhaps decades in the future, federal decriminalization is bound to happen.

the question is when will the tipping point occur? I don't think the culture of congress is ready to take that step but we'll have to wait and see...
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  20. I guess I never understood why tobacco companies don't see weed as an opportunity. They have all the capital and personnel to start up massive grow operations, market a product, and mega profit.

Also, this won't make it out of committee. And if it does, repubs will shoot it down, else they'll face the wrath of church going nanny staters.
    Edited By: Hoooo Jun 22nd, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    Add Hoooo to Rail
    Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon View Post

I guess I never understood why tobacco companies don't see weed as an opportunity. They have all the capital and personnel to start up massive grow operations, market a product, and mega profit.

Also, this won't make it out of committee. And if it does, repubs will shoot it down, else they'll face the wrath of church going nanny staters.

I used to always say one day in the future we will be able to buy pre-rolled, packaged joints in a box of Marlboro from a vending machine. that's the society I want to live in, lol
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
  22. I don't think its the tobacco companies that are the problem. They have all the means in place to start mass production immediately. They aren't the issue.

The Pharmaceutical companies and prisons are the ones that are against it. With prisons becoming privatized and large prison guard unions having influence, I see full legalization not happening any time soon.
    Add xxACES UPxx to Rail
  23. Jebus doesnt like weed
    Add thereraise to Rail
    Originally Posted by edwardt1988 View Post

I also expect liberal democrats to rally behind this law, especially the ones in whose states this is already occurring.

Nope. It pains me to say this, but "liberal" Democrats suck on this issue. This bill goes nowhere.
    Add Underdog to Rail
    Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Nope. It pains me to say this, but "liberal" Democrats suck on this issue. This bill goes nowhere.

Ugh. I hope you're wrong, but you're probably right. Why is it that Democrats won't stand behind this? I really don't get their reasoning
  26. cause they think its the best route to maintaining their jobs
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  27. Big step in the right direction. I still think the feds wont take the bill seriously until 26 states are medically legal.
    Add Moonlight Graham to Rail
    Originally Posted by XXEDPXX View Post

cause they think its the best route to maintaining their jobs

and therein lies the contradiction of popularly electing legislators. it's okay to hate the game in this instance.

tobacco companies surely aren't the only opponents of decriminalization. I'm not educated enough to know who precisely lobbies against bills like this one, but the fact remains legislation is lagging behind public interest and eventually this cause has to gain leverage. I think we'll see dozens more bills like this one materialize and fade away before one even comes close to navigating through congress.

my biggest issue is that the most powerful weapon of opponents in this case is misinformation. the legislative process trails popular opinion, which trails research, which trails the precedent. and even liberal votes bow to the jaded influences of their particular electorate.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  29. Frank's online poker bill had 48 co-sponsors and that didn't get anywhere. This one has 6. I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but it would appear there are very few representatives who want to be associated with this bill. Too bad really, but they gotta start somewhere.

What makes people think this is something Democrats would go for? I guess I have never seen it as a donkey/elephant issue. There's a lot of money and jobs involved in the war on drugs, not to mention the long standing negative impressions that have been ingrained on people since the days of "Reefer Madness".
    Edited By: Willywoo Jun 22nd, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    Add Willywoo to Rail
    Originally Posted by TheWacoKidd View Post

I used to always say one day in the future we will be able to buy pre-rolled, packaged joints in a box of Marlboro from a vending machine. that's the society I want to live in, lol

long overdue
    Add BulldogCafe to Rail