1. ichiro gonna legend
    Add AMARTIN1181 to Rail
  2.  
    Originally Posted by krs33 View Post

    You dont actually believe this do you? You seriously think writers are going to miss a chance to stand on the soapbox over an off-the-field issue? And none of this changes the fact that Cabrera had a better year last year.

    they did stand on the soapbox during the season, then played their last card by not voting for him. And yes, he did have better splits last year...better power numbers this year, but better splits last year. Maybe a difference is there were more guys having big years last year that were all getting hyped, not so much the case this year.
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail
  3.  
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

    they did stand on the soapbox during the season, then played their last card by not voting for him. And yes, he did have better splits last year...better power numbers this year, but better splits last year. Maybe a difference is there were more guys having big years last year that were all getting hyped, not so much the case this year.

    I'd like to read just one article saying someone isn't voting for him because of the DUI.

    Also, he's making a lot more outs this year, which is a pretty important thing.
    Add krs33 to Rail
  4. There isn't one pitcher in MLB who is pitching better than Kris Medlen right now.....due has been fuckin unreal
    Add freddec to Rail
  5.  
    Originally Posted by kellykip View Post

    It's probably out there cause Melky and he are buddies. Doubt there's anything to them

    yea i doubt any yankee would ever be connected to anything PED related. totally unbelievable story
    Add smheilbron to Rail
  6.  
    Originally Posted by sean614 View Post

    Phil's scored 4 in the first and had the bases loaded and still no outs....pitcher pulled, currently 7-0 still in the top 1st with 2 outs...no extra base hits either, all singles, one walk and one HBP

    and i was there to watch it! i left after top 1. good thing tix were free
    Add smheilbron to Rail
  7. ScottBrewr should read this paragraph 1,000 times over again:

    Look, even here at FanGraphs, we don’t think the MVP award should just be the WAR of the Year award. We’ve said repeatedly that WAR is a useful tool for identifying groups of players who have had similar years, and it takes a precision that WAR is not capable of providing to determine the differences between guys who are within the same overall range of value. The problem with the argument surrounding Trout and Cabrera is that they’re not in the overall same range of value. Mike Trout is a group unto himself this year – a fantastic defensive center fielder who also happens to be the best baserunner in baseball and who has hit nearly as well as anyone else alive.
    Add JRoth15 to Rail
  8. Nats are in the playoffs???

    Bizarro world
     
    Add 36crazyfists to Rail
  9.  
    Originally Posted by JRoth15 View Post

    ScottBrewr should read this paragraph 1,000 times over again:

    Look, even here at FanGraphs, we don’t think the MVP award should just be the WAR of the Year award. We’ve said repeatedly that WAR is a useful tool for identifying groups of players who have had similar years, and it takes a precision that WAR is not capable of providing to determine the differences between guys who are within the same overall range of value. The problem with the argument surrounding Trout and Cabrera is that they’re not in the overall same range of value. Mike Trout is a group unto himself this year – a fantastic defensive center fielder who also happens to be the best baserunner in baseball and who has hit nearly as well as anyone else alive.

    sabermetrix is dum
    Add krs33 to Rail
  10. LOLMETS.
     
    Add SpankyHamm to Rail
  11. Hey Phillies... save some of that fire power for the rest of the week please.
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail
  12.  
    Originally Posted by JRoth15 View Post

    ScottBrewr should read this paragraph 1,000 times over again:

    Look, even here at FanGraphs, we don’t think the MVP award should just be the WAR of the Year award. We’ve said repeatedly that WAR is a useful tool for identifying groups of players who have had similar years, and it takes a precision that WAR is not capable of providing to determine the differences between guys who are within the same overall range of value. The problem with the argument surrounding Trout and Cabrera is that they’re not in the overall same range of value. Mike Trout is a group unto himself this year – a fantastic defensive center fielder who also happens to be the best baserunner in baseball and who has hit nearly as well as anyone else alive.

    Shocking that the guys at fan graphs are endorsing trout for MVP......

    All I need now is gamma to come in here saying trout should win and I'll be convinced.
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail
  13.  
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

    Shocking that the guys at fan graphs are endorsing trout for MVP......

    All I need now is gamma to come in here saying trout should win and I'll be convinced.

    Im assuming you read none of that article that I posted?
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail
  14.  
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

    Shocking that the guys at fan graphs are endorsing trout for MVP......

    All I need now is gamma to come in here saying trout should win and I'll be convinced.

    Maybe you should go read the entire article--where things are broken down in a way that even someone of your intellect could understand them...
    Add JRoth15 to Rail
  15.  
    Originally Posted by krs33 View Post

    sabermetrix is dum

    No, metrics have their place and can be useful when trying to predict future performance
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail
  16.  
    Originally Posted by Jaybone2315 View Post

    Im assuming you read none of that article that I posted?

    You're correct, I didn't
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail
  17.  
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

    No, metrics have their place and can be useful when trying to predict future performance

    In case it will help, the article that Jay linked barely touches on any advanced metrics. Still doubt you'll read it, as you will most likely feel like an idiot while reading it, but thought it might help a bit.
    Add JRoth15 to Rail
  18.  
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

    No, metrics have their place and can be useful when trying to predict future performance

    You don't even know what any of these stats are, how can you say they don't predict future performance?
    Add krs33 to Rail
  19.  
    Originally Posted by JRoth15 View Post

    Maybe you should go read the entire article--where things are broken down in a way that even someone of your intellect could understand them...

    Yes, attack my intellect because I think your metrics have flaws and i make my own decisions regarding who should be MVP. Maybe if you keep doing it, you'll eventually look like the intelligent one in this conversation...

    Jfc, tool out harder itt jroth, lol.
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail
  20. LOL redsox as well.
     
    Add SpankyHamm to Rail
  21.  
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

    Yes, attack my intellect because I think your metrics have flaws and i make my own decisions regarding who should be MVP. Maybe if you keep doing it, you'll eventually look like the intelligent one in this conversation...

    Jfc, tool out harder itt jroth, lol.

    As Jroth said, they dont even talk about advance metrics. Its really good read.

    But you will just ignore it so you can sit here like a child with his fingers in his ears and yell "LA LA LA im not listening.. im right, youre wrong!"
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail
  22.  
    Originally Posted by krs33 View Post

    You don't even know what any of these stats are, how can you say they don't predict future performance?

    Well, I didn't say they don't predict future performance, I actually said the opposite, that they are helpful in predicting future performance. FFs you literally quoted what I posted, then assigned me the other position. Why do you continually do that? You lose a lot of credibility when you do that, you know.
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail
  23.  
    Originally Posted by JRoth15 View Post

    In case it will help, the article that Jay linked barely touches on any advanced metrics. Still doubt you'll read it, as you will most likely feel like an idiot while reading it, but thought it might help a bit.

    As long as there are no big words over 5 letters I should be ok... Maybe if there's a big multicolored graph that would help someone like me that would be great too.
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail
  24.  
    Originally Posted by Jaybone2315 View Post

    As Jroth said, they dont even talk about advance metrics. Its really good read.

    But you will just ignore it so you can sit here like a child with his fingers in his ears and yell "LA LA LA im not listening.. im right, youre wrong!"

    Holy shit jaybone, just because I didn't read it doesn't mean I ignored it. I was playing the pocketfives open, then my kid got dropped off, then I had to help start dinner. I mean, if it's ok with you, I was going to read it a little later, or should I drop everything and read it now just do you don't feel ignored?

    Wtf is going on with you guys the last couple days? Just because I would vote for Cabrera doesn't mean you have to tear down your mike trout posters or anything, Jesus.
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail
  25.  
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

    As long as there are no big words over 5 letters I should be ok... Maybe if there's a big multicolored graph that would help someone like me that would be great too.

    It's not multi-colored, but there is somewhat of a chart comparing the totals of each candidate in different categories.

    And lol @ you telling me I'm tooling out ITT...you tool out in nearly every baseball thread that mentions the Giants on this board.

    It's probably just frustration because about 70% of the voters share your same twisted thinking. It's just funny to me that you can completely reject advanced stats when you couldn't explain the first thing about any of the stats that get routinely quoted from the so-called "advanced stats nerds." How is it you can know that advanced stats miss things when you don't even know what they are??
    Add JRoth15 to Rail
  26.  
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

    Holy shit jaybone, just because I didn't read it doesn't mean I ignored it. I was playing the pocketfives open, then my kid got dropped off, then I had to help start dinner. I mean, if it's ok with you, I was going to read it a little later, or should I drop everything and read it now just do you don't feel ignored?

    Wtf is going on with you guys the last couple days? Just because I would vote for Cabrera doesn't mean you have to tear down your mike trout posters or anything, Jesus.

    maybe say that next time, instead of talking shit on the guys who wrote and the stats they use... and maybe I wont think that youre just ignoring to be a dick.
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail
  27.  
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

    Well, I didn't say they don't predict future performance, I actually said the opposite, that they are helpful in predicting future performance. FFs you literally quoted what I posted, then assigned me the other position. Why do you continually do that? You lose a lot of credibility when you do that, you know.

    Ha, mah baaaad
    Add krs33 to Rail
  28.  
    Originally Posted by krs33 View Post

    Ha, mah baaaad

    not really...the point of your post still stands.

    he has no idea what any of the advanced stats are, but automatically discredits them without doing research or even attempting to understand them.

    he is 100% what is wrong with current award voters...eye test people who use HEART and CHARACTER and RBIs and WINS. baseball has instituted instant replay--maybe the old farts should catch up with the world...nawmsayn??
    Edited By: JRoth15 Sep 21st, 2012 at 04:46 AM
    Add JRoth15 to Rail
  29.  
    Originally Posted by JRoth15 View Post

    It's not multi-colored, but there is somewhat of a chart comparing the totals of each candidate in different categories.

    And lol @ you telling me I'm tooling out ITT...you tool out in nearly every baseball thread that mentions the Giants on this board.

    It's probably just frustration because about 70% of the voters share your same twisted thinking. It's just funny to me that you can completely reject advanced stats when you couldn't explain the first thing about any of the stats that get routinely quoted from the so-called "advanced stats nerds." How is it you can know that advanced stats miss things when you don't even know what they are??

    Or it could be that I understand them so well that I can see the flaws, while you can't. It's always a possibility, but you probably know me better than I do, that's just as possible....,,.
    Add ScottBrewr99 to Rail
  30.  
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

    Or it could be that I understand them so well that I can see the flaws, while you can't. It's always a possibility, but you probably know me better than I do, that's just as possible....,,.

    loooool sick joke.

    you've proved over the past 3 years that you don't understand them--nor do you care to...but yes, i guess the possibility exists that you understand them better than the gentlemen who created the site. the same gentlemen whose stats have made their way into pretty much every single front office in MLB.

    i'm always down for learning tho...you name the advanced stat, and i'd love to hear the flaws with it. by all means, educate us.

    EDIT--and FTR, i'm not saying that every single advanced stat is perfect. i think the defensive metrics will continue to get better as technology develops (altho fangraphs is better than b-r with defense)...however, it's honestly laughable that most people who make fun of people who quote advanced stats still use stats like wins and RBIs as their measures for how good a player is.
    Edited By: JRoth15 Sep 21st, 2012 at 04:59 AM
    Add JRoth15 to Rail