[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. Forgot about Higher Learning. It touches on a lot of issues. Race, sexuality, rape. It definitely doesn't fit into one grouping imo. Ice Cube and Busta Rhymes are very underrated in that film.

2. No, not even close.

properly rated flick and def not a "black movie".
    Edited By: AMARTIN1181 Oct 10th, 2012 at 06:50 PM

3. I don't care if there's a white guy on the poster, there are only like 3 in the whole movie. If this counts it's the winner.
  4. White Men Can't Jump is not a black movie. lol

if a co-star is white, it's snap disqualified.
  5. Nah too mainstream and main character is white
    Edited By: AMARTIN1181 Oct 10th, 2012 at 06:55 PM
    Reason: epic movie tho obv
  6. Given the definition of the term "black film" ITT (which means films like Glory, Hotel Rwanda etc. are not eligible), Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing is the greatest black movie I have seen.

Honorable Mentions:

Boyz n The Hood
    A Raisin' in the Sun
    Eve's Bayou
    Cooley High
    Precious
    The Five Heartbeats
    Sweet Sweetback's Badasssss Song
    Hollywood Shuffle
    The Harder They Come
    She's Gotta Have It

Documentaries like 4 Little Girls and Hoop Dreams are also great
    Edited By: ltquick Oct 10th, 2012 at 07:03 PM

7. Life is one of my all time faves, black or non-black
    Originally Posted by Luho View Post

Also came to mind: House Party 4 and any Family Feud hosted by Richard Pryor

lol Steve Harvey tho

9. new jack city was my first exposure to serious violence. i was probably about 7 and staying at my dad's place where he had HBO. i remember being completely shocked during the opening sequence when ice t is chasing chris rock around and shoots him in the leg. almost got sick later when wesley snipes stabbed some guy in the hand with an ice pick. i saw some titties later tho so it was all good.

and black dynamite is severely underrated. if anyone hasnt seen it yet and is in the mood for some laughs, go watch it now.
    Edited By: Cooker Oct 10th, 2012 at 09:34 PM
  10. If it gets nominated for a BET award or a Black Reel award, then its a black film. come on.
    Originally Posted by TheWacoKidd View Post

this is about the best black movies of all-time, not a funny stoner flick with an atrocious plot. come on

Yes sir dean Cain sir
  12. It took a while for New Jack City, that was one of the first movies I thought of.

My top list:

Friday
    Boyz In The Hood
    Juice
    Life
    New Jack City
    Harlem Nights
    Menace 2 Society
    South Central
    Miracle At St. Anna
    Red Tails

Anyone recognize this movie:

Edited By: acp Oct 10th, 2012 at 10:27 PM
  13. Juice
    Above the rim

I also liked Gang Related. I think Pac was a pretty dope actor, am I way off base?

14. First movie Laurence Fishburne was ever in.

Originally Posted by baughman View Post

The Last Dragon- ok it has some crackers in it, but still....

This. White guy doesn't count as he's the sleezy bad guy with a white goon. Also, thank you for saying "The Last Dragon" and not "bruce lee roy" as most people I know do not know the actual title.
  16. "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood" is obviously the winner... Or the worst.. Haven't seen it since I was in High School...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116126/

17. Are we picking a winner?

I say Friday, best movie and soundtrack.
  18. Does Jackie Brown count?

what about this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0170318/
    Originally Posted by acp View Post

It took a while for New Jack City, that was one of the first movies I thought of.

My top list:

Friday
    Boyz In The Hood
    Juice
    Life
    New Jack City
    Harlem Nights
    Menace 2 Society
    South Central
    Miracle At St. Anna
    Red Tails

Originally Posted by acp View Post

It took a while for New Jack City, that was one of the first movies I thought of.

My top list:

Friday
    Boyz In The Hood
    Juice
    Life
    New Jack City
    Harlem Nights
    Menace 2 Society
    South Central
    Miracle At St. Anna
    Red Tails

I'm gonna get you sucka obv
    Can't agree with Miracle at St. Anna and Red Tails.
    Red Tails was almost unwatchable.

21. Yah Red Tails would be the lowest on my list, when I typed that one it was to first mention it because I didn't see it in the thread, but I liked it enough to keep it on there.
  22. What is a black movie?

Is it a movie that deals directly with issue concerning the race, past or present, no matter who is/are the main characters? (The Help, Glory, Dangerous Minds)
    Is it a movie that is produced, written, and directed by a black person, no matter the subject matter or race of the actors? (Summer of Sam)
    Or is it a movie that has a predominantly black cast no matter if the subject matter is not race specific? (Disappearing Acts, Think Like A Man, Love Jones, Bad Boys)
    Or as long as at least one of the leading roles is played by a black person its a black movie? (Safe House, Lethal Weapon, Avatar, Seven Pounds)

While It is sad that the general population (read: white people) won't give a movie full of black actors a chance on opening weekend at the box office and rather wait for it to be out on video or on hbo (more likely starz), and excellent actors are consistently overlooked because of the color of their skin, I wish we could jump forward to when an actor (read: a person) is judged on their talent and the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.

I'm just saying. Carry on though, I'm loving the thread and want more opinions. What's the last 'black movie' you saw in theaters?
  23. Hoodlum

Glory

Steel Magnolias lol

@user: no one is judging the actors and therefore dissing a black movie by not seeing it in the theaters. people just don't want to get shot.
    Edited By: norcaljeff Oct 10th, 2012 at 11:50 PM
  24. Edited By: BAntares Oct 11th, 2012 at 12:07 AM
    Originally Posted by norcaljeff View Post

@user: no one is judging the actors and therefore dissing a black movie by not seeing it in the theaters. people just don't want to get shot.

26. Roots
    Originally Posted by norcaljeff View Post

"Yelling at the screen is one of the best parts of going to the movies and more white people should learn that." - 2 Broke Girls
Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 62 3 4 5 6