1. you spelt reddit wrong in the thread title
    Add TMLMS13 to Rail
    Originally Posted by ericINtheX View Post

lol brooklyn

whowannitho?

Midwest rich boy transplant with private school education tho. He ain't got a fuckin clue why Richie did Bobby Lupo.

whowannitho?
    Add kellykip to Rail
  3. Hard to Kill was always my favorite. Mason Storm

and you can take that to the bank.

im gonna take you to the bank, Senator Trent. To the blood bank!

This is for my wife. Fuck you and die.
    Edited By: XXEDPXX Jan 15th, 2013 at 01:54 AM
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  4. One of my favs back in the days of kazaa.
    Add Niceguy to Rail
    Originally Posted by phish42O View Post

That is correct. The only thing that killing bird doesn't get is that faux linkin park and good charlotte bands do not create intellectual property.

says the guy who listens to child molesters playing shitty hippy music. Linkin Park still makes me a lot of money. I could care less what they sound like.

later.
    Add killingbird to Rail

Swartz was a victim of bullying. Not from jocks of frat boys targeting a brilliant tech nerd for being too smart. Rather, he was being harassed by the government – the Department of Justice specifically – for his activism in trying to make academic journals and public court records freely available online:

http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/12/re...o-activist-bul
    Add Dyzalot to Rail
  7. I've never been on reddit and I just realized it's like a homonym for "read it." ...trippy
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  8. Completely blame the idiot US attorney for bringing such a ridiculous case. Good job helping getting rid of another brilliant mind that at the end of the day was trying to help people and make the world a better place.

Add bballin04 to Rail
  9. Brilliant mind that was a thief.

If he felt he was right, what is the point in killing yourself? It indicates guilt and cowardice.
    Add Niceguy to Rail
    Originally Posted by Niceguy View Post

Brilliant mind that was a thief.

If he felt he was right, what is the point in killing yourself? It indicates guilt and cowardice.

He was battling all sorts of shit that I can't imagine. He wrote a suicide note in 2007 here after he was fired from Wired.

He clearly has never been emotionally strong enough to handle shitty situations. I really feel for this kid and in the end he is going to be martyr for the free web whether you agree with how he handled it or not.

I'm extremely passionate about the fight for information that should be free (not saying everything on the internet should be free, but the laws need serious revamping) but in the end I feel like Swartz's legacy is going to live on for a long time. Sad to see someone who made such an impact on the world be taken way too young.
    Edited By: Admiral Jan 15th, 2013 at 06:12 AM
    Add Admiral to Rail

The potential of fifty years in jail might drive someone to the brink whether they think they are right or not.
    Add Dyzalot to Rail
  12. From what I read, he basically opened up a closet of info to the public, essentially like finding out a way to check out too many library books at one time. Even the MIT president came out with a condolence letter promising to investigate if MIT overreached in this matter. So, they obviously feel they may have played a hand in it.

Also, all that 4mil or so documents taken from JSTOR are readily available to the public now, or in the process of being available, so I'm guessing his breach wasn't too nefarious, or in a sense it helped them realize those should be available to the public.

I don't know his full story, so he may be a thief, but I'm going to say its going to be a net negative that he's not here anymore.

I don't know why he killed himself, but he was chronically depressed, so in sure that had something to do with it.
    Edited By: bballin04 Jan 15th, 2013 at 06:06 AM

Add bballin04 to Rail

26 years old facing 50 years in prison, already a fragile mind (said before this incident he was suicidal), a witch hunt that was ridiculous in the first place because the people holding the documents said they didn't want prosecution. You can say he was guilty that's fine, but the last thing you can say is cowardice. Get the fuck out with that shit.

But you have taken this high horse approach before when it comes to "thieves" on the internet, so keep on keepin on.
    Edited By: Hateflops Jan 15th, 2013 at 06:09 AM
    Add Hateflops to Rail
  14. All I know is killingbird's "good riddance" post tilts the shit out of me. Eff killingbird.
    Add bfactor to Rail
  15. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...articles-free/

The JSTOR has made all of the files free to the public as of 4 hours ago, they also said they weren't going to press charges, but the government decided to make an example out of him.
    Add Admiral to Rail

At the time of Aaron’s actions, the JSTOR website allowed an unlimited number of downloads by anybody on MIT’s 18.x Class-A network. The JSTOR application lacked even the most basic controls to prevent what they might consider abusive behavior, such as CAPTCHAs triggered on multiple downloads, requiring accounts for bulk downloads, or even the ability to pop a box and warn a repeat downloader.

Aaron did not “hack” the JSTOR website for all reasonable definitions of “hack”. Aaron wrote a handful of basic python scripts that first discovered the URLs of journal articles and then used curl to request them. Aaron did not use parameter tampering, break a CAPTCHA, or do anything more complicated than call a basic command line tool that downloads a file in the same manner as right-clicking and choosing “Save As” from your favorite browser.

http://unhandled.com/2013/01/12/the-...swartzs-crime/
    Add Dyzalot to Rail

Love how the biggest creeper in OT always feels qualified to speak from the moral high ground in these threads.
    Add ajedrez to Rail
  18. How do we even know he killed himself over the legal issues?

Does anyone know if he had any concussions the last few years?
    Add kellykip to Rail
    Originally Posted by ScottBrewr99 View Post

Too many people know his name now, it would be too hard to cover up.

would be interesting to see if Anonymous and the other hacker groups could actually work together to accomplish something.
    Add TMLMS13 to Rail
    Originally Posted by ajedrez View Post

Love how the biggest creeper in OT always feels qualified to speak from the moral high ground in these threads.

This is definitely a discussion worth having, but I guess name calling is way easier. This is one of the most complex issues facing the world in the coming years and there is going to need to be serious reform or more and more cases are going to keep popping up like this.

Also, don't know if this has been posted yet but I can not wait for the The Pirate Bay documentary to come out. I love everything hackers, piracy, p2p sharing and free web
    Add Admiral to Rail
  21. Okay, I think I finally get what he did now. That's what I initially thought Warden was saying when I read his post for the first time, but then I was like "nahhhh... I must be misinterpreting it or something, there's no way it could've been something that absurdly non-issue-ish, otherwise wtf with all this 50 years prison stuff." Turns out it WAS exactly that after all tho. Just holy fucking shit at this. Biggest "wow" in the history of "wows" at the people who are jumping for joy about this guy getting 50 years thrown at him and offing himself cuz of it. What a bunch of douchebags.
    Add bfactor to Rail

Heh heh, when I saw your post quoted further down on the post, I was like "uh oh" and scrolled up quickly feeling like 99% sure it was gonna be one of my posts that you had quote-replied to, and then let out a sigh of relief when I saw that it wasn't.

::wipes forehead etc:: lolz
    Add bfactor to Rail
  23. okay I get it now. to begin with IP rights and the laws governing them are murky at best. lol @ killingbird etc.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail

It is not a moral high ground. It is what is just and unjust as defined by the law. If the laws change to accommodate these new actions, that is fine, that is the new line. However the act is thievery, whether you as the individual, or another individual, or me as the individual are met with the consequences of those actions are another matter entirely. He was met with those consequences, and he handled it the way that he did. That is sad, but my comments are aligned with what is the majority position of OT in relation to suicide.

As for information, do I believe it should be free? Yes.
    Do I believe the created work of information should be free? No.

If someone takes information, and creates something unique from it, you have no right to that unique product unless permission is given by the creator. Call me crazy, or someone perched on the moral high ground for believing people should be able to control and protect their unique ideas.
    Add Niceguy to Rail
    Originally Posted by Admiral View Post

this looks super rapey. i am excite. AFK > IRL.
    Add Cooker to Rail

It is not a moral high ground. It is what is just and unjust as defined by the law. If the laws change to accommodate these new actions, that is fine, that is the new line. However the act is thievery, whether you as the individual, or another individual, or me as the individual are met with the consequences of those actions are another matter entirely. He was met with those consequences, and he handled it the way that he did. That is sad, but my comments are aligned with what is the majority position of OT in relation to suicide.

If someone takes information, and creates something unique from it, you have no right to that unique product unless permission is given by the creator. Call me crazy, or someone perched on the moral high ground for believing people should be able to control and protect their unique ideas.

oh just fucking die already. i'm not even gonna finish reading that nonsense.

lost me @ "It is what is just and unjust as defined by the law. If the laws change to accommodate these new actions, that is fine, that is the new line.. blah blah blah"
    Add Cooker to Rail
    Originally Posted by Admiral View Post

Super tilting when they put subtiltes and english words on the screen at the same time and dont give you enough time to read bout.
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail
    Originally Posted by SCooker View Post

oh just fucking die already. i'm not even gonna finish reading that nonsense.

lost me @ "It is what is just and unjust as defined by the law. If the laws change to accommodate these new actions, that is fine, that is the new line.. blah blah blah"

Whenever niceguy writes one of those types of posts, I just assume he was smirking mischievously when he wrote it.
    Add bfactor to Rail

Sounds like you have a nice grasp of this particular case....

Add Hateflops to Rail
    Originally Posted by Hateflops View Post

Sounds like you have a nice grasp of this particular case....

Reading articles is troublesome.
    Add Niceguy to Rail
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 81 2 3 4