[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

Originally Posted by thereraise View Post

Just gotta say GO GREEEN!!!!

Sparty coming for it all this yr

i def like our chances. first team since 2001 that i felt like had a legit shot at winning it all. even when we were really good in 2005 and 2009 UNC had a minor league NBA team that everybody knew would win it all.
    Add HoldThzNutz to Rail
  2. I was at the regional they won in a couple years ago when they beat Northern Iowa and Tennessee. Lupe was there. Tennessee was so fucking annoying. They'd start doing Rocky Top on every dead ball. I heard that song more times in 2 days then I will for the rest of my life. All I remember MSU doing was screaming Green, White. You know how fans on the opposite side of the court yell at each other. The hatred I felt for Tennessee and their obnoxious fans cannot be reiterated enough. They were annoying as fuck and they literally sang Rocky Top a good 20 times per game
    Edited By: XXEDPXX Feb 21st, 2012 at 04:10 AM
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  3. Rick Barnes

Add BigStack Husker to Rail
    Originally Posted by HoldThzNutz View Post

i agree with you 100%. They have the athletes to D up and force turnovers and out rebound the opposing team by 10+ a game. They have the players to play good man to man D like UK and MSU do. I really think it goes back to them having one of the worst coaches in the nation that gets really good recruits (Memphis coach is up there too).

you're an idiot.

completely ignorant. I could go on a huge rant and tell you why, but I won't. over it.
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
  5. Why do they play zone so much? Is there a particular reason why or is that just his thing? like boeheim.
    Edited By: XXEDPXX Feb 21st, 2012 at 07:55 AM
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  6. we have played man approx. 1/3 of the time this season and went to man almost exclusively in the 2nd half tonight. we switched for the last 12 minutes or so vs KSU and got carved in man tho, it all depends on the matchup.

the reasons why we play zone are many, but yes, it has kind of become Drew's thing. 3 years ago, with a team led by seniors that had played in the NCAA tournament the prior year, the team started tanking during Big 12 play, after starting out 17-1 and being ranked top 20. Drew decided to change things up and come out in zone and stay there in the Big 12 tournament. we beat Kansas and Texas and lost to an Elite 8 Mizzou team in the finals, then lost in the NIT finals. the following year, we played almost exclusively zone for the entire season and made the Elite 8 while being in the top 10 in the nation in def fg %.

now, we have been recruiting to it, and have great personnel to run it, they just don't execute well enough. the middle is constantly wide open after a few passes and it's easy to get clean looks from 3 with good ball movement, etc... but we have actually been running a good amount of man this year, and I expect to see more in the future

other reasons why we run the zone are because our bigs are long and soft and get abused in iso situations. and our guards love to use their hands on D and commit fouls. now that half the team has worked on zone for so long, they aren't as good as they could be in man, so he is kind of in a tough spot right now. I would say we are doing pretty well overall, despite some disappointing performances and many moments of "WTF" defense

the offense has been the problem lately, but a 51 point 2nd half in a tough road game is a great sign that things could get back to the way they were a few months ago...
    Edited By: TheWacoKidd Feb 21st, 2012 at 08:08 AM
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail

i agree with you 100%. They have the athletes to D up and force turnovers and out rebound the opposing team by 10+ a game. They have the players to play good man to man D like UK and MSU do. I really think it goes back to them having one of the worst coaches in the nation that gets really good recruits (Memphis coach is up there too).

Originally Posted by XXEDPXX View Post

yeah clearly Pastner is only good for recruiting. They play just like Baylor. Like they're in an AAU game or some shit like that. No discipline on either end of the court. Who knows though. Things work out in the tourney and they can make a run. I cant imagine them beating multiple quality opponents though. Maybe they steal one from somebody good but thats it. fucking Butler has been in the NC game last two years so shit can and does happen.

after watching baylor around 7 times this year i have to say that they are one, if not the worst coached teams i have seen this year that is in the top 20 or so. i can not believe how bad they are on offense when the other team plays a little bit of defense.

Im not sure why they're only capable of playing zone. Why cant they play good one on one? They run that shitty zone and get sliced up. I cant grasp why they're incapable of playing D. They get good players though. Its kind of perplexing to me. Not that they get good players. That they play that zone instead of just D'ing the fuck up. They play it like their in some pick up game at the YMCA. Like fuck it, were not disciplined enough to actually learn how to play defense. Were just gonna jump into a zone and let things play out.

jesus people...they clearly need to learn their x's and o's better but both Pastner and Drew are young coaches. Just like freshmen improve with time so do coaches.

sometimes the coaches recruit players instead of players for their systems and i think both Paster and Drew have got caught up in this.

to call them bad coaches is clearly an uneducated response. a ton of local fans call Romar a bad coach when we suck in the first half of the year as usual. But just because he lacks the x's and o's ability of some other coaches does not mean he is a bad coach. There is recruiting, conditioning, being a father figure, helping young men grow, hustle, defense, post moves, dribbling, shooting, passing, etc.

Originally Posted by TheWacoKidd View Post

you're an idiot.

completely ignorant. I could go on a huge rant and tell you why, but I won't. over it.

yes...and Jim Calhoun with just as much talent is a horrible coach as well.

you know...i am not a huge fan of Drew's coaching ability in terms of x's and o's but he is a young coach and will no doubt improve that..

one thing i love about his team this year tho is that despite the struggle the last month or so his players still get behind each other strongly. This gives a strong indication that Drew has great control of his team and that off the court they get along.

I love how the players high five the teammates on the bench after a good play. that shit is awesome.

The thing about Baylor and the tourney is that they will be playing against a bunch of teams that dont have coaching staffs that have all season to game plan against them. They have 2 to 4 days. I think Baylor will perform strongly in the tourney and reach the elite 8 and maybe the final 4.(thats if Perry Jones shows up)

Drew does much more than recruit. He has stabilized a program from extinction and made it into a legit top 20 program.
    He has helped develop strong point guards. The growth of Tweety Carter was fun to watch.

meh...i will take waco's route and stop....knowledge is a good thing to have
    Edited By: Prestonluv Feb 21st, 2012 at 08:13 AM
    Add Prestonluv to Rail
  8. I was at the game they beat Kansas in the big 12 tourney.
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
    Originally Posted by Luho View Post

Final Four: Mizzou, Kentucky, Georgetown, and Murray State (just playing...Michigan State instead of Murray)

Anybody here going to the Final Four in NOLA? I'll be there Friday through Tuesday for that weekend. Obviously gonna go insane after Mizzou brings home the title

I'll be in NOLA if KY gets there.
    Thread StarterAdd KYSupr3macy to Rail
    Originally Posted by TheWacoKidd View Post

you're an idiot.

lol i didnt mean to piss u off. i meant that he is one of, if not the worst coach out of the top teams w/ good players. Just look at the teams ranked ahead of u in the rankings. i would not take your coach over any of the 13 teams ahead of u. it came out wrong when i said he was one of the worst in the nation. i meant that he is one of the worst out of the top 15-20 teams. I say one of the worst because i haven't seen Murray state play and who knows how good frank haith will be after his team full of seniors are gone. Sorry to break it to you though Waco kid. This year baylor will most likely lose in the sweet 16 to a team w/ a superior coach mainly because they are out coached, just like when they lost to Duke in the elite 8. i know it is a hard pill to swallow but your coach is really bad when it comes to the top 15 or 20 teams.
    Edited By: HoldThzNutz Feb 21st, 2012 at 02:47 PM
    Add HoldThzNutz to Rail
    Originally Posted by KYSupr3macy View Post

I'll be in NOLA if KY gets there.

I'll see you there then

Add Luho to Rail
    Originally Posted by Luho View Post

I'll see you there then

Sounds good to me.
  13. Big talk of the week in NC (besides chris corchiani and tom gugliotta getting ejected from the NCSU game over the weekend) is the coming ACC expansion and the fact that it could jeopardize the UNC/NCSU rivalry and they will only play each other once per season instead of twice.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college...tory/10756853/

While I agree that the UNC/DUKE rivalry is what really defines Tobacco Road, the UNC/NCSU rivalry is still fierce around here, even though NCSU hasn't been as competitive as UNC for years. My bday falls in mid-January which is always when the first match-up comes around. I remember having birthday parties as a kid where I invited all my friends over and we watched the game. This was during the Valvano years, so obv the rivalry was much more heated back then.

I think this historical rivalry should be preserved, and I have see a lot of hope for NCSU's future with Gottfried in charge. Depending on his recruiting, he could end up making State way more competitive in the coming years, at least moreso than Lowe or Sendek were able to. Also, as a less accomplished program, playing UNC twice each season gives State an extra chance at a huge trademark conference win, which could lead to more NCAA bids.

I have mixed feelings about the expansion itself, but I don't like the thought of lessening this rivalry which has been a big part of my life since I was a kid.

UNC plays @ NCSU tonight 8pm est. (second matchup of the season -- Carolina beat State in Chapel Hill on 1/26 74-55 )
    Add Glo4m to Rail
  14. Carolina has been very frustrating at times this year with the sheer amount of talent they have not excuting as I'd hope at times. But I think they'll be fine come tourney time on a 2 seed line and depending on matchup should cruise into elite 8 but that is where they are gonna need to have their biggest 40 minutes of the season (obviously) I think the same problem is rearing it's ugly head on not defending three ball and not shotting it too well from 3 (Better last 2 games) And making free throws when it matters.

ACC expansion I'm not the biggets fan of I wish they'd of dropped 2 teams to add 2 as Glo said with 14+ teams it's gonna kill the rivalry games that are essential to ACC basketball and will give teams Marquee wins to help toruney resumes. Although I guess beating Cuse/Pitt will help as well

That UNC duke Game in 2 saturdays is gonna be off the hinges

Selection sunday nearing closer everyday !!!!!!!
    Edited By: Popperhead Feb 21st, 2012 at 04:39 PM
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  15. Perry Jones needs to follow in Robert Griffin's footsteps and be known as PJ3 since he is Perry Jones III and his game will all of sudden take off again.. ez game haha

Add cocoa_butter111 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Popperhead View Post

Carolina has been very frustrating at times this year with the sheer amount of talent they have not excuting as I'd hope at times. But I think they'll be fine come tourney time on a 2 seed line and depending on matchup should cruise into elite 8 but that is where they are gonna need to have their biggest 40 minutes of the season (obviously) I think the same problem is rearing it's ugly head on not defending three ball and not shotting it too well from 3 (Better last 2 games) And making free throws when it matters.

ACC expansion I'm not the biggets fan of I wish they'd of dropped 2 teams to add 2 as Glo said with 14+ teams it's gonna kill the rivalry games that are essential to ACC basketball and will give teams Marquee wins to help toruney resumes. Although I guess beating Cuse/Pitt will help as well

That UNC duke Game in 2 saturdays is gonna be off the hinges

Selection sunday nearing closer everyday !!!!!!!

I think UNC wins at Duke.

KY @ Miss St tonight. I think the 9.5 line out is a little too much and may be based off not knowing whether or not Sidney is going to play. When KY goes to Miss St I always think of Cousins doing the call me sign after he scored.

lol i didnt mean to piss u off. i meant that he is one of, if not the worst coach out of the top teams w/ good players. Just look at the teams ranked ahead of u in the rankings. i would not take your coach over any of the 13 teams ahead of u. it came out wrong when i said he was one of the worst in the nation. i meant that he is one of the worst out of the top 15-20 teams. I say one of the worst because i haven't seen Murray state play and who knows how good frank haith will be after his team full of seniors are gone. Sorry to break it to you though Waco kid. This year baylor will most likely lose in the sweet 16 to a team w/ a superior coach mainly because they are out coached, just like when they lost to Duke in the elite 8. i know it is a hard pill to swallow but your coach is really bad when it comes to the top 15 or 20 teams.

epic back peddle.

Drew has his faults for sure, just like almost any coach, but he is only 41, and the trajectory of his program is clearly up. I'll take a borderline top 20 coach in the nation at that age, one that is the 3rd longest tenured coach in the Big 12 behind Self and Barnes and is pulling in his best recruiting class to date next year and returning all 5 guards. we should be a Sweet 16 team next year as well. considering Baylor has only 1 Sweet 16 since 1950, I would say Drew is doing a ridiculously good job.

we aren't all fans of established powers with tradition and legendary coaches, brah. Drew is working miracles at Baylor, despite some perceived in-game coaching issues by tards who only watch our toughest games and see our players occasionally fuck shit up and play poor fundamentally and think the coaches actually teach or condone that shit.

a lot of Drew's perceived problems are due to his player's going off the grid during games. our offense is very freelance, it's part of the reason we recruit so well, and at times it can be stagnant if you can stop Pierre Jackson from creating. the zone has been proven to work (altho I want man to man long term), these guys just aren't running it that well right now. but even tho the critics are quick to bash the zone, the defense isn't even the problem. in our last 3 losses we have scored under 60 points.

as someone who grew up in Indiana and moved at 13 to Texas, I can personally attest to the fact that players in the midwest come to college with much better fundamental backgrounds. the youth coaching, camps, high school, and AAU are just better in that area of the country. in Texas, the focus is on football. my 7th grade coaching staff in Indiana was miles ahead of my varsity staff in Texas. my AAU team was "coached" by a college kid. elementary schools don't play each other like they do in the midwest, you don't start organized basketball until your teens (but they play pop warner much younger). you guys see a team full of talent and think we are under-performing, when half of them are just athletes that are still learning how to play basketball. they come with horrible habits that are never worked on and allowed to grow worse under poor coaching. habits are not easy to break in 18-20 year old kids, but that is his job.

his strategy has been to take the best athletes he can and coach them up, as opposed to taking fundamental players and trying to out X and O people, and at times the kids do really stupid shit... but I think he is doing pretty damn good job myself.
    Edited By: TheWacoKidd Feb 21st, 2012 at 07:02 PM
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
    Originally Posted by KYSupr3macy View Post

I think UNC wins at Duke.

KY @ Miss St tonight. I think the 9.5 line out is a little too much and may be based off not knowing whether or not Sidney is going to play. When KY goes to Miss St I always think of Cousins doing the call me sign after he scored.

I hope Renardo Sidney plays a lot tonight, the cats will be playing a lot of 5 on 4 as that fat lazy fucker walks his ass up an down the court.
    Add BigStack Husker to Rail
  19. It's painful watching our guys double team and leave them wide open. I trust Davis vs Sidney one on one. I don't understand the double teams.
  20. 8 peat

Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  21. Kendall Marshall
    22 pts
    7/8 4/5 from 3
    13 dimes 0 turnovers

All in all Heels played pretty well. They couldve done a better job on the glass especailly the offensive end but I think Z just had an off night. Kendall was in beast mode and HB is looking more and more dangerous each game. He'll go off for 30 real soon
    Edited By: Popperhead Feb 22nd, 2012 at 02:59 AM
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  22. You guard Sidney straight up and thats what happens.

Playing out of their fucking minds.. Guess i'll watch Teague lose this single handedly. Did they really just call a technical for that? Lol wow. Did miss st just not hold on the rim? Intentionally tripped TJones. What a fuckin thug program.
    Edited By: KYSupr3macy Feb 22nd, 2012 at 03:38 AM
  23. Davis just had one of the worst technicals I have ever seen called on him in this UK game. The refs have been horrible both ways. Like the worst I've seen all year.
    Edited By: whoMikeB Feb 22nd, 2012 at 03:42 AM
    Add whoMikeB to Rail
  24. what about the clear foul they missed on the dunk? the one right before moultrie got the technical. that was a horrible miss by the refs.
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  25. But.....Kentucky's invincible....this is a dream!
    Add MyJobisYou to Rail

what about the clear foul they missed on the dunk? the one right before moultrie got the technical. that was a horrible miss by the refs.

yes it was..

what about the clear foul they missed on the dunk? the one right before moultrie got the technical. that was a horrible miss by the refs.

lol yea it's been pathetic both ways. Davis literally did nothing. It was like the guy was ready to call the T before he even left the floor.
    Add whoMikeB to Rail
  28. They have just hit everything that has left their hands. I'll be surprised if KY pulls this one out.

Originally Posted by MyJobisYou View Post

But.....Kentucky's invincible....this is a dream!

It isn't over yet.
  29. Meh they'll win, but it just goes further to the point, away from RUPP Kentucky's just another solid 1-6 that can get beat by many types of teams, including an unranked :D
    Add MyJobisYou to Rail
    Originally Posted by MyJobisYou View Post

Meh they'll win, but it just goes further to the point, away from RUPP Kentucky's just another solid 1-6 that can get beat by many types of teams, including an unranked :D

Miss St has played their best game and when they play like this they are a very good team. 9-18 three's tonight if you haven't been watching. Not many teams can have those numbers put up and have a chance to win. There's YOUR FUCKIN SENIOR.
    Edited By: KYSupr3macy Feb 22nd, 2012 at 04:10 AM
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 71 2 3 4