1. been prepping myself to attempt to quit smoking on October 1st. Prices are going up from 300 yen to 410 yen (82=$1). I hear its cheap compared to other countries but when you're used to cheap smokes, 410 yen is disastrous! Anyways, I've been smoking for probably 15 years or so and I realized I need to quit. I saw those electric cigarettes and wonder if anyone has tried them or had any luck with them. And if so, which ones? Thanks~
    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
  2. My fiancé's brother used them and it worked for a few months, he said good things, however he is back to smoking. i think it is like most of the ways to quit smoking in that it is a good tool you can use in the process of quitting but the biggest thing it will take is willpower. cliche, i know, but true from my experience dealing with smoker's in and around my family. thats all i have to say about that.
    Edited By: GPop21 Sep 27th, 2010 at 02:31 PM
    Add GPop21 to Rail
  3. They're ok, but it's probably not the miracle solution you're looking for.
    Add louiemdj to Rail
  4. been using the Greensmoke electronic cigs for a little over a month. I ordered on line and haven't had any issues with them. Haven't had a real cigarette during the day (at work) for a month but still smoking at night. One step at a time.
    Add saxman to Rail
  5. Ya, I doubt I can quit right away and will probably still smoke a few. If I can get through a day without smoking like you and just at night, that would be a big improvement. Baby steps I guess right?
    Thread StarterAdd DONKWOOD to Rail
  6. if you want to quit, nothing works better than going cold turkey. Quiting will be a success when your mind is ready, not when you need some props.
    Add Kiribato to Rail
  7. its fucking insane that with how bad cigarettes are for you, that there are still millions of dumbasses (no offense to anyone who smokes, but seriously ffs) who still choose to kill themselves a little more everyday...mindbottling
    Add tamayo85 to Rail
    Originally Posted by tamayo85 View Post

its fucking insane that with how bad cigarettes are for you, that there are still millions of dumbasses (no offense to anyone who smokes, but seriously ffs) who still choose to kill themselves a little more everyday...mindbottling

Population Control IMO
    Add iatetheredcrayon to Rail
  9. cold turkey. Suck it up for 3 days (3 DAYS IS HORRIBLE, AND THEN ITS GONE)

Add Redline Speed to Rail
    Originally Posted by Redline Speed View Post

cold turkey. Suck it up for 3 days (3 DAYS IS HORRIBLE, AND THEN ITS GONE)

Not this. I went two weeks and still had the urge. It doesn't go away. I'm currently averaging 2 cigarettes a day, and I'm gonna quit when it just happens.
    Add Scha to Rail
    Originally Posted by Kiribato View Post

if you want to quit, nothing works better than going cold turkey. Quiting will be a success when your mind is ready, not when you need some props.

sfthis. Everyone I've known that has quit has done it like this.

To the OP, I bought an electronic cigarette, but it just wasn't good enough for me. I did cut down, from like 15 to 5 per day, but the only way to really quit is to go cold turkey

Add Chavalo to Rail
  12. I quit cold turkey 7 weeks ago and I haven't had 1 slip up. This bullshit about after 3 days you're in the clear is so ridiculous, I still get urges just not very often. I mean, I've seen people use electric cigarettes, but honestly it's all will power which was already stated. Grow a sack and stick to it.
    Add negativeROI to Rail
  13. phi are you smoking again or no? I haven't read an update on that for a couple weeks.

wasn't there a bet involved too?
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
    Originally Posted by DONKWOOD View Post

been prepping myself to attempt to quit smoking on October 1st. Prices are going up from 300 yen to 410 yen (82=$1). I hear its cheap compared to other countries but when you're used to cheap smokes, 410 yen is disastrous! Anyways, I've been smoking for probably 15 years or so and I realized I need to quit. I saw those electric cigarettes and wonder if anyone has tried them or had any luck with them. And if so, which ones? Thanks~

Good luck sir!

One thing that worries me about your situation in regards to quitting is your mindset. I promise I am not trying to be a dick, but there is some language in your OP that leads me to believe you are going to have a tough time. The first is that you are "preparing to quit on October 1st." I'm not sure how you can "prepare" for something like this, so my question is this - Why are you pushing it back? Why not just do it now? It feels like you are affording yourself too much slack is your mental approach to this. I mean, obviously, it is right around the corner, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I guess I would just say start NOW! Know that you can do it. Any time I have said something like, "I'll get back into shape starting Monday," Monday rolls around and I don't do shit. Anytime I have been like, "its time to get back in shape," I'll go hit the trails today, I jump into it and stay into it.

I also don't like that you are looking for what could be construed as easy ways. Nothing about this is going to be easy. You need to know that up front. This way when it is hard, you knew it was going to be. When you are looking for easy aide, when it is still hard you aren't as mentally up to it.

Like I said, not trying to be a dick, but these are constructive criticisms I would have about your current gameplan. Best of luck sir. You got this!
    Add TiltinShoes to Rail
  15. Both my roommates bought these as replacements for real cigs. They each accidentally broke them then just went right back to smoking a pack a day. I also vote quit cold turkey. I hope it works for you.
    Add TheSteve to Rail
    Originally Posted by tamayo85 View Post

its fucking insane that with how bad cigarettes are for you, that there are still millions of dumbasses (no offense to anyone who smokes, but seriously ffs) who still choose to kill themselves a little more everyday...mindbottling

THIS, I can never wrap my head around how many people start smoking these days. I mean are people really that dumb out there? I am going to start drinking a liter of gasoline each day, and start a new trend, whose with me?

Add dazedace to Rail
  17. I know of 3 people that stopped cold turkey after smoking for over 20 years. I think one of them went back but the other two are still going strong. As for the ecigs, I bought some for my father and hes prolly only used it 2 times...
    Add MikeCaroJr to Rail
    Originally Posted by TiltinShoes View Post

Good luck sir!

One thing that worries me about your situation in regards to quitting is your mindset. I promise I am not trying to be a dick, but there is some language in your OP that leads me to believe you are going to have a tough time. The first is that you are "preparing to quit on October 1st." I'm not sure how you can "prepare" for something like this, so my question is this - Why are you pushing it back? Why not just do it now? It feels like you are affording yourself too much slack is your mental approach to this. I mean, obviously, it is right around the corner, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I guess I would just say start NOW! Know that you can do it. Any time I have said something like, "I'll get back into shape starting Monday," Monday rolls around and I don't do shit. Anytime I have been like, "its time to get back in shape," I'll go hit the trails today, I jump into it and stay into it.

I also don't like that you are looking for what could be construed as easy ways. Nothing about this is going to be easy. You need to know that up front. This way when it is hard, you knew it was going to be. When you are looking for easy aide, when it is still hard you aren't as mentally up to it.

Like I said, not trying to be a dick, but these are constructive criticisms I would have about your current gameplan. Best of luck sir. You got this!

no offense taken at all man, you bring up valid points. The price increase was announced about a month ago and I thought to myself "shit, I wont be able to afford this habit!" so as October 1st got closer and closer I gave serious thought to actually try and quit. Am I mentally up to it? Probably not but I will give it my best shot. I know I'll slip up but if I try try again, I think I can actually quit. Thanks for the encouragement, I'll need all I can get!
    Thread StarterAdd DONKWOOD to Rail
    Originally Posted by GPop21 View Post

My fiancé's brother used them and it worked for a few months, he said good things, however he is back to smoking. i think it is like most of the ways to quit smoking in that it is a good tool you can use in the process of quitting but the biggest thing it will take is willpower. cliche, i know, but true from my experience dealing with smoker's in and around my family. thats all i have to say about that.

This right here, I used the green smoke for 3 months then went back to real smokes. The Green smoke works, but they actually have more nicotine. They will not help with the nicotine addiction and they get expensive as shit to use. They say one cartridge is a pack and a half. i was using a cartridge and a nalf a day. 13 bucks for 5 you do they math, adds up quick. the batteries kept dying also so I had to keep sending them back for replacements.

As a Mater of fact I have a few batteries here I will sale you on the low low. PM me if interested.
    Edited By: JksRbetter Sep 28th, 2010 at 01:54 AM
    Add JksRbetter to Rail
  20. Two of my buddies from college who were pretty frequent smokers each really got into the e-cig thing (with all the mods and stuff you can do), and one of them hasn't had a cigarette in over 4 months and the other has only had a real cigarette very infrequently. It's obviously better than smoking actual cigs.

Some of these people are like "I don't see how people can still smoke." It's because most of them started before they knew what they were getting themselves into and cigs are MAD FUCKING ADDICTING, for all kinds of reasons; physical, mental; behavorial. Saying quit cold turkey is all fine and good, but if you want to try to smooth the transition, I don't see why you shouldn't try an e-cig. You can even get liquids with different nicotine content so you can basically control the amount of nicotine you get.

And a lot of bad experiences with e-cigs here can probably be chalked up to them not doing their research. I believe e-cigs are still fairly new and getting better, but there's a lot of options out there.

Go to this forum for a TON of info on e-cigs (or vaping as they call it). http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/

Add aheggem to Rail
  21. I'm on my second week of quitting. I decided to dip the first few days and it worked great. I don't like dipping so I was lessening my nicotine intake anyway, but the real advantage was it gave me a few day head start on getting over the habit of smoking. Nicotine is an easy drug to quit; it's the act of smoking that is the difficult part.
    Add keylight to Rail