[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. Anyone have suggestions on make, model, etc. I have heard so much from asking around it is becoming overwhelming. I like the look of spring fields guns. I shot their 9 mm the other day and it felt comfortable. Anyone have experience with them / that company? Anyone have places to recommend comparing prices? It seems a lot of the places around here fluctuate so much on price.

Also, some people say to stay away from 9mm's. Any real reason behind that or is it just preference.
  2. Get a second-hand one instead.
  3. just my experience and some things i heard is 9mm's are fun for the range, cheap ammo. but they have no real stopping power if you have any designs on using it for personal defense.

why are you buying a gun?

that decides caliber somewhat. then it kinda depends on preference.
  4. Sig Sauer or HK is my recommendation for brand. as far as caliber it depends on what you want your gun for but in general I would say a 9 mm is a very good starting point.

as far as 9mm's not having enough stopping power lol. if you shoot someone at a close distance with a 9mm you will put them down. If you're real nervous get some hollow points
    Edited By: MustbeMoore Feb 22nd, 2012 at 01:13 AM

5. that there's a .45 if you wanna kill some peeps

Originally Posted by tekiller View Post

just my experience and some things i heard is 9mm's are fun for the range, cheap ammo. but they have no real stopping power if you have any designs on using it for personal defense.

why are you buying a gun?

that decides caliber somewhat. then it kinda depends on preference.

The Military Issued side arm is a 9 mil. its a peice of shit m9 but im just curious on why you would say there isnt any stopping power. im sure a round from a 9 mil will be quite effective when hitting a human being. maybe not AS effective but it gets the job of fucking somebodies day up done in my opinion.

also i reccomend glock or sig sauer
    Originally Posted by metfan4590 View Post

The Military Issued side arm is a 9 mil. its a peice of shit m9 but im just curious on why you would say there isnt any stopping power. im sure a round from a 9 mil will be quite effective when hitting a human being. maybe not AS effective but it gets the job of fucking somebodies day up done in my opinion.

also i reccomend glock or sig sauer

its just what ive heard a lot. ive never hunted or shot anyone with a handgun so wouldn't know but i have a fnp 9mm and my experience is that its fun for the range cuz the ammo is very cheap.
  8. Am I looking to kill someone no.. so stopping power isn't the most important thing to me. I would like to just go to the range and have fun. Regardless, being shot w. anything I imagine won't be fun.
  9. My first handgun was a .357 mag.

10. This is my all around favorite, not real fun to carry, but great for the house and car.
    Originally Posted by joelrose View Post

Am I looking to kill someone no.. so stopping power isn't the most important thing to me. I would like to just go to the range and have fun. Regardless, being shot w. anything I imagine won't be fun.

range gun i would think 9mm is perfect then, like i said ammo is really cheap for it.

since you know caliber the rest is really trimmings. sights, safety or not(my fnp 9 has no safety you will prolly want one), polymer frame, etc like picking out a car there are a lot of different ways to put together the options.

try out some different guns and figure out what kinda gun you want.
  12. The Springfield XDM 9mm is a great gun. It's my baby. It's also a great company with awesome customer service. My gf carries the 9mm subcompact. It's my favorite gun of all time. I recently purchased a Glock 30 which is a compact .45. You can never go wrong with a Glock.
  13. A 22 can kill a 9 mil has no problem doin such. It may not take down a rhinocerous but i dont think you have to worry about a large game animal trying to rob or burglarize you.
    Originally Posted by LizardBoy View Post

The Springfield XDM 9mm is a great gun. It's my baby. It's also a great company with awesome customer service. My gf carries the 9mm subcompact. It's my favorite gun of all time. I recently purchased a Glock 30 which is a compact .45. You can never go wrong with a Glock.

Love the XDM but not a Glock fan myself
  15. Btw man im sure yOull also use it for home Protection while on the range you can use whatever sort of round you want ball/hollowtip etc. Youll prob use ball since its cheaper. But when its home in your safe/drawer or wherevEr keep your magazines loaded with hollow tips. Ball rounds will go right through a person and can go through walls injuring others. Just fyi.
  16. Desert Eagle.

There is nothing like squeezing the trigger and scaring the shit out of your self. I love it.
  17. first handgun...get a .22 you will never outgrow it. fun and very cheap to shoot while giving you practice. Ruger MK3, any of the 1911 style etc. has a huge note--there are .22 conversion kits for a shit ton of major caliber pistols. my kimber .45, CZ 75 .40 and browning high power 9mm all have .22 conversion kits that slide right on. very similar weight and much cheaper to shoot. do your research.
  18. If you are only wanting it for shooting tons of rounds at the range and at cans, etc., a .22 isn't a bad idea. The Walther P22 is tons of fun, very accurate, and .22 rounds are almost free (500 rounds are < $20). You will get bored shooting before you run out of rounds. It's a good starter gun to get familiar with and then move up to a larger caliber weapon.

Edited By: El Burro Feb 22nd, 2012 at 03:18 AM
  19. I shot a couple different guns before taking a class up at the Sig Sauer Academy in NH. I got to shoot a couple of their guns and fell in love with the p229. Its a great all around gun. Not to mention its what the Secret Service, Navy Seals, Air Marshalls and ICE agents carry. If its good enough for them, its good enough for me. I got it in 9mm because it was my first handgun. My instructor also said a well placed shots with 9mm will have the same results as a .357 or .40. Meaning practice a lot with a gun you are comfortable with and it shouldn't matter what the caliber is.

The p229 has no safety, so you need to get use to that. It has a 10lb DA pull and a 4lb SA pull. I have put many different brands of ammo thru it including some real crap ammo and I have yet to have a failure. I would say about 1000-1500 rounds.

Also I have a .22 caliber conversion kit for it. In 5 seconds I can pop off the 9mm slide and put on a .22 one if Id like to save some money. Its great to practice with the same trigger pull on the gun I normally use and do it for half the cost. You won't be disappointed with this gun.
  20. I will say that I have shot many handguns.. sign sauer is expensive but hard to beat. Durable, accurate, and comfortable you can't beat Sig. I too own the P229 (in 40 cal). .40 is a great caliber. Plenty of stopping power... still pricey, but as others have mentioned can be converted into 9mm and 22 easily. Glock is great for a medium/entry brand.
    For first gun, a 9mm is great, but you will want more after some time on the range.... getting a 22 is a no brainer too just for plinking.
    Edited By: Channing83 Feb 22nd, 2012 at 05:18 AM
  21. I like the Springfield XD. IMO the grip on the XDM is too gnarly, and it's hard on your hand if you shoot a ton. The only other difference is the match barrel, which you don't need. Very reliable and easy to take down and clean.

Get it in .45. You will never regret it.

Edit: I'm not badmouthing the XDM, Glocks or Sigs either. Those are all great guns. I just love the XD, and I shoot a lot. Winters are long and cold, and I have one of the top 10 indoor ranges just down the street.

*One more thing...whatever you get, make sure it's not strictly double-action.
    Edited By: gutbirdxx Feb 22nd, 2012 at 03:15 PM
    Originally Posted by gutbirdxx View Post

Edit: I'm not badmouthing the XDM, Glocks or Sigs either. Those are all great guns.

*One more thing...whatever you get, make sure it's not strictly double-action.

Not badmouthing Glocks, eh? :)
  23. I just stopped by to see the america fuck yeah fat guy gif, but it's not here. Come on.
    Originally Posted by El Burro View Post

Guess you got me on that one. Not my personal preference, but good weapons nonetheless. Shitload of aftermarket accessories for them too.
  25. Buy American! Springfield or Smith and Wesson
    Originally Posted by El Burro View Post

LOL at carring a semi auto in the SA (cocked) mode. If I were to do that I would want something like a Glock that does not fire when dropped.

A hole in your calf sucks.

Originally Posted by TheSilentBob View Post

Get a second-hand one instead.

I just got the joke. Wp. :)
    Originally Posted by MonkeyCowboy View Post

LOL at carring a semi auto in the SA (cocked) mode. If I were to do that I would want something like a Glock that does not fire when dropped.

A hole in your calf sucks.

29. Go big IMO

30. Glock 17L

Glocks are indestructible and the L version has a 6 inch barrel (vs 4.5) which give it the ballistics of a .357 mag.

From their website: GLOCK 17
    Global Pistol

The GLOCK 17 in caliber 9x19 is the most widely used law enforcement pistol worldwide. Because of its unsurpassed reliability, above-average magazine capacity of 17 cartridges in the standard magazine and its low weight, it is trusted by law enforcement officers in their daily duties throughout the world. It is safe, easy and quick to use through the revolutionary “Safe Action” trigger system. GLOCK 17 – designed for professionals.

Originally Posted by tekiller View Post

its just what ive heard a lot. ive never hunted or shot anyone with a handgun so wouldn't know but i have a fnp 9mm and my experience is that its fun for the range cuz the ammo is very cheap.

Quoted for awesome internet expertness.
    Edited By: Diggity D Feb 23rd, 2012 at 01:12 AM