[x]

See Where You Rank in Washington

  1. Until today, I had never heard of this animal before, nor some of the other huge birds and random animals I found out about just now when I was researching the animal exctinctions of the Island of Madascar that have occurred within the past few hundred years.

    The thing that is amazing to me, is just how huge and ridic of a bird this was, and that it was still walking among us just 300 some years ago. Think about how fucking recently that is. William Shakespeare was long dead before this bird went exctinct. We had guns for hundreds of years before this bird went exctint. Scientists and writers and government officials, civilized relatively modern cities/civilization that, other than electronics etc was already somewhat similar to many current cities around the world, already existed, and this bird was STILL ALIVE at that time, as it didn't go extinct until the mid to late 1600's.

    The Elephant Bird was over 10 feet tall, and weighed nearly a thousand pounds. It was MUCH much bigger than the current biggest bird in the world, which is the Ostrich.

    Here's a graph that shows the size difference between an Elephant Bird and an Ostrich:



    The ostrich is the red one and the elephant bird is the purple one. More impressive that the fact that it's more than a yard taller than the ostrich, is how much thicker/heavier it is. The ostrich has relatively skinny (relative to its own body) legs/neck, and overall isn't much more massive than a typical human or anything, but check out the Elephant Bird, that thing is thick as shit, just one of its legs alone is almost as big/thick as an entire human being.

    Here's a chick next to a skeleton of an elephant bird. I doubt it does it much justice though, given what a big, thick amount of flesh was packed onto those, bones, it would look considerably bigger/more massive in living form standing next to her:



    Anyway, this has got me wondering about what other sorts of huge animals have gone excinct in very recent history, so recent that people were already writing legit books, and people who were legit scientific/biological documenters taking accurate/legit notes/descriptions of them in just the past few hundred years like this there are. I found a handful of other interesting animals that also went exctinct on that island in the past few hundred years, this one being the biggest/most interesting.

    Until now, I always just sort of figured the most recent of the really big animals that were much larger than their still-existing cousings (i.e. woolly mammoth vs elephant and sabre tooth cat vs lion) animal to go extinct was the Woolly Mammoth, which went extinct like 10,000 years ago, just before humans really started to start having legit civilizations, back when it was still more or less cavemen/hunter gatherer times, but, apparently there were lots of other gigantic land animals that have gone exctinct much more recently than the Woolly Mammoth, in just the past few hundred years, in modern, recorded history, that were much larger than any of their current living closest relatives.

    I wonder if there is a list somewhere of the other biggest/most notable/interesting animals to have gone extinct in just the past 500 years are. These are pretty interesting to me, since they were still around in modern, recorded history, so, these are animals that people watched and wrote about the behaviors of, and descriptions of, in books/scientific journals etc since this was in such recent times, which is just ridic, considering how some of these animals are stuff which one would expect to be dinosaur-style and have been exctinct like 50 million+ years ago, not animals that were still wandering around among us in just the past few hundred years. So, I am curious now what other huge animals other than this one were also still around in the past few hundred years, and whether this was even the biggest one to have gone exctinct in the past few hundred years or not. Not really sure where to look to quickly/easily find a list of the other notable ones of the past few hundred years tho.

    **EDIT: Just to clarify, obv I'm not saying I thought the Woolly Mammoth/etc were the only animals to have gone extinct in recent history or anything, I am well aware that millions of random species have been/are constantly, continuously going extinct as well as coming into existance all the time, I just meant like, as far as huge ass motherfucking giant baller weird ass fuckin shit like elephant birds and shit, lol, you know, like animals you'd actually be geeked out about seeing in person, shit like that.
    Edited By: bfactor Sep 15th, 2010 at 06:11 AM
  2. I actually enjoyed that op.

    When i think enxtinct i think Dinosaurs, dodo bird and wolly mammoth
  3. The flying alligator - I believe there are only 10 known in existence.
     
  4. Great pic. Crystal clear and moving. I shall now continue staring at it!
  5. LOL @ your profile
  6. The Moa is said to be slightly larger than what the Elephant Bird was (11 ft compared to 10 ft). The Moa went extinct around the year 1400, they were found in New Zealand.

    now check this Giant Haast Eagle attacking a Moa, it went extinct around the same time as the Moa, which was hunted to extinction by the people of NZ



    Edit: Don't know why the pic won't show up, but here is a link to the Moa on wiki

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moa
    Edited By: JPitt09 Sep 15th, 2010 at 01:41 AM
    Reason: pic working now
  7. They used to have lemurs in Madagascar that were like 10 feet tall or some shit, but those got killed off right quick as soon as people with guns discovered them
  8. Yea, I saw about the moa, and giant lemurs too when I was reading about the Elephant Bird, cuz I read the page that talked about all the Madagascar extinctions since humans arrived there and pwnt them in modern history and also some New Zealand animals and shit.

    But, I am curious about whether there were any other significantly huge/absurd animals, not on Madagascar or New Zealand, but around the other 99% of the world, that were still around within the past millenium, in modern history, that were as sick as the Moa and Elephant bird etc. I'm gonna have to nerd-research it up imho, weeeeeee
    Edited By: bfactor Sep 15th, 2010 at 01:51 AM
    Thread Starter
  9. [SIZE=2]Giant Ground Sloth[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The Giant Ground Sloth, Megatherium americanum, was 18 feet long, as big as an elephant, and lived in South America during the Pleistocene until just a few thousand years ago. Other species from the size of a cat to that of the the giant ground sloth lived from the Arctic to Antarctica. They were hunted by humans and some believe humans may even have farmed them.
    [/SIZE]


    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
  10. I doubt it b. Really huge/bizarre animals are way more likely to develop on secluded islands like Madagascar or New Zealand where they're genetically isolated and have less competition. Also, humans would have killed off massive things out of instinct long ago in non-isolated locations same as we did with Wooly Mammoths, sabre-toothed tigers, whatever those ancient "terror birds" were called, etc.
  11. these ancient animals are so fuckin sick imo
  12.  
    Originally Posted by Milkman Andy View Post

    these ancient animals are so fuckin sick imo

    this, it's fuckin sad we don't get to appreciate these monsters because our ancestors had to rape them from the world. somethin thats never gonna change.
  13. how about a large marine iguana on the Galapagos islands?

    http://www.ecuador.com/videos/galapa...100730/303754/

  14. Why were animals so much larger in prehistoric times? There used to be so many fucking massive dinosaurs and ocean life, now the largest animals we have are elephants and whales, which dwarf most everything else.

    All while the human race gets larger on average as time passes... I don't understand it. I'm fascinated with incredibly huge extinct animals, why are none of them left?
     
  15. LMAO...You managed to get an asian chic in your example....
  16. do any of you think that there may be soem of these creatures left or others like them in the rainforest around the world? i mean the world is so big with so much unexplored or very poorly explored land.... it just makes me think that there may still be some really cool species out there. I mean I know for sure that smallerspecies are still being found quite commonly/ but idk about bigger stuff. Oceanic bigger animals for sure. itd be cool/
  17. Life would be a little more exciting if we had to worry about being eaten by one of these bad boys. Cavemen were lucky to get to battle these.
  18. And obv the baddest motherfucker of all prehistoric giants:







    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalodon
     
  19.  
    Originally Posted by TeddyKGB109 View Post

    Why were animals so much larger in prehistoric times? There used to be so many fucking massive dinosaurs and ocean life, now the largest animals we have are elephants and whales, which dwarf most everything else.

    All while the human race gets larger on average as time passes... I don't understand it. I'm fascinated with incredibly huge extinct animals, why are none of them left?

    The atmosphere was totally different back then, it had a much much higher oxygen to nitrogen ratio back then than it currently does. So, the bigger an animal, the more absurd the lung capacity to body size ratio predicament gets or whatever, so, back then, in the super oxygen-rich environment of those times, animals could get away with being much larger, and still be able to take in enough oxygen with lungs that, in today's atmosphere, would be grossly insufficient. Thus, the existence of so many giant dinosaurs and shit. There were some other factors too, but I think this was the main reason. And then of course during the mass extinctions after the meteor hit, the biggest ones were the ones were by far and away the ones that got extinct-pwnt cuz their body type was the least able to survive a post-meteor-apocalypse type environment of all the types of animals that were around, so, they all died off, and then, by the time they would've evolved back into existence, enough time had passed since between their extinction and then, that by then the environment had significantly enough less oxygen per unit volume in it that they it wasn't the same atmospheric conditions anymore for them to evolve back into existence again. Not cuz of the meteor or anything, just like, cuz the proportions of what the atmosphere consists of changes over time, so, in the large amount of time between when the large dinosaurs got killed off by the meteor apocalypse, and the amount of time between then and when they would've theoretically started to, according to statistics and probability starting evolving back into existence the way they did the first couple times around, the atmosphere was different enough by then that they couldn't do it this time around, cuz it was too oxygen-poor this time around, just due to the variance of the atmospheric proportional makeup of how it is now.

     
    Originally Posted by metfan4590 View Post

    do any of you think that there may be soem of these creatures left or others like them in the rainforest around the world? i mean the world is so big with so much unexplored or very poorly explored land.... it just makes me think that there may still be some really cool species out there. I mean I know for sure that smallerspecies are still being found quite commonly/ but idk about bigger stuff. Oceanic bigger animals for sure. itd be cool/

    Nah, nothing really huge. Cuz there would be enough of whatever huge thing it was that we would bump into them pretty often, even if there were only a few dozen of them, so we'd know about them. Small little non-ridic animals obv there are fuckloads of that we haven't officially noticed/recorded yet, especially in the deep sea, but also in rain forrests etc. But big huge types of animals like animals as big as elephants or larger that we are unaware of... on land... no, there is def not anything like that we aren't aware of, we would know them, trust.
    Thread Starter
  20. nah they are gone man, let em go
  21.  
    Originally Posted by TeddyKGB109 View Post

    And obv the baddest motherfucker of all prehistoric giants:







    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalodon

    This isn't really what I'm talking about though. Prehistoric stuff is cool and all, but the bird in the OP isn't a prehistoric thing, it's an animal that was still around in just the past few hundred years. Not caveman times, but like modern times, super recently, when people were already living in modern cities and shit, in houses that looked like the ones we still live in today, and there were books and libraries, and orchestra concerts and all this kind of shit. That's so fucking recent, it's sick to think about animals that were still alive during THIS time period, rather than prehistoric.

    We learned about megalodon and t-rex and all the dinosaurs and all that shit in school, but, one thing they never really focused on was stuff like this Elephant bird or the Moa, or stuff like that, which was alive very recently up to just a few hundred years ago. This is something I am surprised is so rarely discussed/shown in tv shows/mentioned in school when they are talking about significant/notable animals that went extinct on earth. Never heard of this shit before, and probly spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours reading about regular dinosaurs, as well as more recent, but still pre-historic ice age animals etc, never heard of these modern-history giant animals before, it's an entirely new topic to me (and apparently a lot of others) which is pretty surprising/interesting imo
    Thread Starter
  22. yea i know.... i just wish there were :( i could see myself riding a huge eagle or big bird around town instead of a car.
  23.  
    Originally Posted by bfactor View Post

    The atmosphere was totally different back then, it had a much much higher oxygen to nitrogen ratio back then than it currently does. So, the bigger an animal, the more absurd the lung capacity to body size ratio predicament gets or whatever, so, back then, in the super oxygen-rich environment of those times, animals could get away with being much larger, and still be able to take in enough oxygen with lungs that, in today's atmosphere, would be grossly insufficient. Thus, the existence of so many giant dinosaurs and shit. There were some other factors too, but I think this was the main reason. And then of course during the mass extinctions after the meteor hit, the biggest ones were the ones were by far and away the ones that got extinct-pwnt cuz their body type was the least able to survive a post-meteor-apocalypse type environment of all the types of animals that were around, so, they all died off, and then, by the time they would've evolved back into existence, enough time had passed since between their extinction and then, that by then the environment had significantly enough less oxygen per unit volume in it that they it wasn't the same atmospheric conditions anymore for them to evolve back into existence again. Not cuz of the meteor or anything, just like, cuz the proportions of what the atmosphere consists of changes over time, so, in the large amount of time between when the large dinosaurs got killed off by the meteor apocalypse, and the amount of time between then and when they would've theoretically started to, according to statistics and probability starting evolving back into existence the way they did the first couple times around, the atmosphere was different enough by then that they couldn't do it this time around, cuz it was too oxygen-poor this time around, just due to the variance of the atmospheric proportional makeup of how it is now.

    Fuck meteors man.

    Just wish this shit was possible:

     
  24. because man's first instinct is to kill it...the bigger the better.
    its sad really
     
  25. can we just the "more oxygen" theory to explain why everything was so large in Mario 3 - World 4 ?

  26. Not only is this a great fuckin' post, but you should pitch the idea to the producers of the prehistoric computer animation shows... I would absolutely love to see a show about it, and the only kind of animal like this I can really recall ever hearing about was the giant ground sloth, and the arguments of when or even whether or not they are truly extinct. There was a type of triple tail weird ass manatee thing that was in Jamaica up until like 1896 or something that they think might be in Florida - but that was on one of those "monster hunter" shows - so take that fwiw.

    and I had to quote this. lol.
     
    Originally Posted by bfactor View Post

    the ones that got extinct-pwnt

    Edited By: cdmalgee Sep 15th, 2010 at 03:59 AM
  27. WHY THE FUCK CANT YOU FACTOR IN PARAGRAPHS!!!......ROOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAR!!!!!!!
     
  28. Great thread! Is it true it went extinct because it tasted like chicken and just one could feed a village for a month instead of killing hundreds of chickens?

    Get your geek on sunnnnnnnnnnn!

Similar Threads