1. I don't know why I haven't seen more of these, seems everytime I give one a shot I enjoy it. Even the ones that aren't nutthugged and worshipped by hipsters and film snobs alike I seem to enjoy. Like, I just watched "Another Earth" and thought it was really good. Anyone have any reco's? I tried googling and got this site: http://listverse.com/2007/10/23/top-15-indie-films/ . I don't care what the definition is, I don't consider any of these movies "Indie".
    Add voorh33s to Rail
  2. Movie Review : Robot(2010)
    Director: S.Shankar
    Starring: Rajnikanth, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Danny
    Released: October 1, 2010




    Add wantagolf to Rail
  3. Add freeworld777 to Rail
  4. So you don't really give a shit whether the movie is indie. You only care whether the movie is popular or well known.
    Add SerlinSteak19 to Rail
  5. afaik, an "indie" movie is one with a small budget. anyone confirm?
    Add kmc28 to Rail
  6. I mean that's really making me sound like some retard snob which is not what I mean. The low budget indies usually have a different feel to them than your typical hollywood movie. They also tend to have more character driven storylines which I like. I really don't care if it's popular or not but yeah these tend to not be on the popular side.
    Thread StarterAdd voorh33s to Rail
  7.  
    Originally Posted by kmc28 View Post

    afaik, an "indie" movie is one with a small budget. anyone confirm?

    Confirmin'
    Add Ugot2BKddn to Rail
  8. In that case, what's "small"?

    50/50 (Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Seth Rogen) is in theatres now. It's really good, but I have seen no commercials at all or anything about it. I just kinda found it online one day looking for a movie to download and watched it. However, it has a $8million budget, according to IMDB. I would lean on considering it to be indie based on the lack of promotions for it, but 8mill is a pretty big budget compared to something like Brick that I linked above, which only had a ~475k budget. 50/50 also had something of that "indie feel" that voorh33s mentioned previously.
    Edited By: kmc28 Dec 3rd, 2011 at 09:28 PM
    Add kmc28 to Rail
  9.  
    Originally Posted by voorh33s View Post

    I don't know why I haven't seen more of these, seems everytime I give one a shot I enjoy it. Even the ones that aren't nutthugged and worshipped by hipsters and film snobs alike I seem to enjoy. Like, I just watched "Another Earth" and thought it was really good. Anyone have any reco's? I tried googling and got this site: http://listverse.com/2007/10/23/top-15-indie-films/ . I don't care what the definition is, I don't consider any of these movies "Indie".

    I would barely consider any of those films indie either, I mean most of them had major theatrical releases and were really successful.
     
    Originally Posted by kmc28 View Post

    Brick ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/ )

    terrible movie

     
    Originally Posted by kmc28 View Post

    afaik, an "indie" movie is one with a small budget. anyone confirm?

    the term "indie" which is often used in reference to the music genre is basically derived from the word independent. So indie music is music released by an independent label. With films they are much harder to define as indie because there arent as many independent film studios as there are record labels. Although certain production companies like Miramax which is owned by Disney release films one could call "indie". These are films that aren't really expected to
    be massive box office successes, are given a lower budget and limited release etc.

    Onto films, I consider 'indie' that are really good. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Grosse pointe blank. Reservoir dogs. Donnie Darko. Lock stock and two smoking barrels. Ed Wood. There's a bunch of others I can't think of right now.
    Add The Spewtard to Rail
  10. Nice, I've seen most of those.

    I saw the movie "Hesher" recently. I have no idea whether this was a true indie movie by definition or not but it's pretty much the kind of movie I'm talking about. Low budget, but good shit.
    Thread StarterAdd voorh33s to Rail
  11. I just watched both of these on Netflix the other night, absolutely blew me away: Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.

    They are done by Richard Linklater (Dazed and Confused, Waking Life, A Scanner Darkly etc...) and sound like the are in the vein of what you are looking for. With all the movies I watch, I can't believe I just saw these for the first time. I don't want to go in to great detail about what they are about, I think with all of Linklater's films you just need to watch and discover for yourself, but I do recommend it very highly.
     
    Add qjuice14 to Rail
  12.  
    Originally Posted by qjuice14 View Post

    I just watched both of these on Netflix the other night, absolutely blew me away: Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.

    They are done by Richard Linklater (Dazed and Confused, Waking Life, A Scanner Darkly etc...) and sound like the are in the vein of what you are looking for. With all the movies I watch, I can't believe I just saw these for the first time. I don't want to go in to great detail about what they are about, I think with all of Linklater's films you just need to watch and discover for yourself, but I do recommend it very highly.

    cool, getting both those now. The plotline is a little suspicious but Ethan Hawke is a G and I've never seen an 8.0+ movie on IMDB with 30k+ votes on it that was bad so here goes nothin.
    Thread StarterAdd voorh33s to Rail
  13.  
    Originally Posted by voorh33s View Post

    cool, getting both those now. The plotline is a little suspicious but Ethan Hawke is a G and I've never seen an 8.0+ movie on IMDB with 30k+ votes on it that was bad so here goes nothin.

    hope you like romance
    Add The Spewtard to Rail
  14. Can't get more Indie film than Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

    Small budget- check
    new/young director- check
    foreign film- check
    non major studio- check

    In fact, at least 9 of the 15 should generally be referred to as indie. Now "cult" would have 100% covered the movies listed.
    Edited By: LDM Dec 3rd, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    Add LDM to Rail
  15. Not even gonna try to differentiate an indie film based on definitions because hell if I know what it means anymore, but here are some recent movies I really like that I don't think a lot of people saw or heard of much, which may be what you are going for - most likely not indie in the real sense:

    Another Earth - as you mentioned already, this may be in my top 10 of the year
    The Guard - Bredan Gleeson - awesome
    Another Year - just an awesome character driven British film from last year - Mike Leigh was nominated for best original screenplay
    Barnie's Version - Paul Giamatti from last year
    Cell 211 (Celda 211) - awesome prison movie in Spanish
    Never Let Me Go - Carrie Mulligan and Keira Knightley - didn't hear much about it but I thought it was great
    Animal Kingdom was a totally awesome movie out of Australia last year about a fading crime family
    The Secret In Their Eyes/El secreto de sus ojos - Argentinan film that may be one of 'the best films' I have ever seen - Hard to say what I mean, but it is simply an amazing story told very well and a definite 'adult' film
    Fish Tank - British flick that I fell in love with
    Add skeeze666 to Rail
  16. The Guard was great. Animal Kingdom wasn't bad but I think I'm a little biased against Australian films because I think they tend to be overrated, especially over here. Chopper is another good Aussie film that just sprung to mind.
    Add The Spewtard to Rail
  17. We just don't get movies like Animal Kingdom in the US too often, so when they do come we (should) appreciate them.
    Add skeeze666 to Rail
  18. Me and You and Everyone We Know
    Edited By: FadeToMac Dec 3rd, 2011 at 11:52 PM
    Add FadeToMac to Rail
  19. Edited By: threeven Dec 3rd, 2011 at 11:56 PM
    2
    Add threeven to Rail
  20.  
    Originally Posted by skeeze666 View Post

    Another Earth - as you mentioned already, this may be in my top 10 of the year

    Excellent film.
     
    Add gamma21 to Rail






  21. Add userid363 to Rail
  22. Fuck classifications, just write down your favorite 10 directors and then scour their libraries on imdb for films you have not yet seen. Netflix, profit.
    Add Glo4m to Rail
  23.  
    Originally Posted by skeeze666 View Post

    Not even gonna try to differentiate an indie film based on definitions because hell if I know what it means anymore, but here are some recent movies I really like that I don't think a lot of people saw or heard of much, which may be what you are going for - most likely not indie in the real sense:

    Another Earth - as you mentioned already, this may be in my top 10 of the year
    The Guard - Bredan Gleeson - awesome
    Another Year - just an awesome character driven British film from last year - Mike Leigh was nominated for best original screenplay
    Barnie's Version - Paul Giamatti from last year
    Cell 211 (Celda 211) - awesome prison movie in Spanish
    Never Let Me Go - Carrie Mulligan and Keira Knightley - didn't hear much about it but I thought it was great
    Animal Kingdom was a totally awesome movie out of Australia last year about a fading crime family
    The Secret In Their Eyes/El secreto de sus ojos - Argentinan film that may be one of 'the best films' I have ever seen - Hard to say what I mean, but it is simply an amazing story told very well and a definite 'adult' film
    Fish Tank - British flick that I fell in love with

    Out of these have seen, The Guard (excellent), Barney's version (very good, under rated) cell 211 ive been trying to see for ages but can only find non subtitled versions, never let me go (loved it, made me think for ages afterwards) Animal Kingdom (good twist, enjoyed it) Fish Tank (thought it was good)

    Ill watch another earth next based on the responses in here
    Add TheWhitePele to Rail
  24. Monsters is one of the best movies ive ever seen, fkn guerrilla shooting at its best and ad libbed acting covered by CG and u wouldnt believe the outcome, the two actors are just fkn amazing and the blonde is an absolute fkn goddess.
     
    Add jessecuster to Rail
  25. A recent one ive seen which is fantastic is 'Tyrannosaur'

    Im guessing Skeeze would enjoy it if liked Fish Tank. Directorial debut of the brilliant Paddy Considine and ive watched it twice now. Really really good
    Add TheWhitePele to Rail
  26.  
    Originally Posted by jessecuster View Post

    Monsters is one of the best movies ive ever seen, fkn guerrilla shooting at its best and ad libbed acting covered by CG and u wouldnt believe the outcome, the two actors are just fkn amazing and the blonde is an absolute fkn goddess.

    I really liked Monsters - not saying it was 'best movie ever' material though... assuming some hyperbole there?

     
    Originally Posted by TheWhitePele View Post

    A recent one ive seen which is fantastic is 'Tyrannosaur'

    Im guessing Skeeze would enjoy it if liked Fish Tank. Directorial debut of the brilliant Paddy Considine and ive watched it twice now. Really really good

    It was playing in NYC last week when I was there but couldn't fit it in... will keep it on the list.
    Add skeeze666 to Rail
  27.  
    Originally Posted by Glo4m View Post

    Fuck classifications, just write down your favorite 10 directors and then scour their libraries on imdb for films you have not yet seen. Netflix, profit.

    if you want to go that route, let me suggest:
    Following - Christopher Nolan
    Pi - Darren Aronofsky
    Blood Simple - The Coen Brothers
    Slacker - Richard Linklater
    Bottle Rocket - Wes Anderson
    Add JKoblyn to Rail
  28. Hard to beat Sling Blade
     
    Add smcrawford2 to Rail

Similar Threads