[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. I'm a little terrified that this is a repost - I did try to search so cut me some slack, Mr. Blonde. Surprised this hasn't been discussed here because it's a pretty big deal if you follow the goings on of the internets.

Anyway, G+ is pretty much hot farts. The best of Facebook and Twitter - if you skipped the Twitter phase, be glad you did, because the new shit is better. I am itching to create a Pocketfives circle. If you want an invite, post or PM your email address.

Edit:

Edited By: emcee21 Jul 23rd, 2011 at 06:44 AM
  2. why do we need another social network site? Just having one is distracting enough
  3. Doubt it's going to replace Twitter near term, although I have no doubt they have a master plan to overtake and destroy.

I asked BobFuton about G+ this week and he didn't speak very favorably of the current product. I'm thinking I'll wait til they get through whatever their beta-like, invitation-only phase is, and get on board after it's cleaned up and more mainstream.
    Originally Posted by resilient View Post

I asked BobFuton about G+ this week and he didn't speak very favorably of the current product. I'm thinking I'll wait til they get through whatever their beta-like, invitation-only phase is, and get on board after it's cleaned up and more mainstream.

n00b
    Originally Posted by TMLMS13 View Post

why do we need another social network site? Just having one is distracting enough

Because Google employs many smart people who've thought of shit you or I wouldn't have. Twitter is already dead to me, I keep FB open for nostalgia really. There's already a plugin that copies FB posts over to G+. It's just a matter of time.
  6. pm sent
    Originally Posted by Niceguy View Post

n00b

it's kind of more that I'm not really into social media that much, other than getting some news and arguing in text form here, lol. I rarely post pics on FB and never send them on Twitter. In fact, I almost never take pics. I have a cool 4th of July video on my phone from when we were blasting and it sounded/looked like a firefight in a war zone... but I can't be bothered to load it onto My Verizon page or youtube or whatever.
    Edited By: resilient Jul 23rd, 2011 at 06:59 AM

it's kind of more that I'm not really into social media that much, other than getting some news and arguing in text form here, lol.

I've always been a pretty passive user of social media too. G+ has me excited for some reason (and a lot of other people). I suspect I will post more now that you can finely control which circles you share with (this exists on FB, but sucks - apparently Zuckerberg is philosophically opposed to putting your friends in circles). Plus there's just a cool buzz on G+ right now, it feels fresh and new.
  9. yeah I have no doubt that Google is working it to become a stellar replacement... I'm just being a lame sheep about just following Twitter for now b/c I've gotten sports/poker news there and there's plenty of it. But I agree, the distribution control mechanism is something that really needs to be done. I'll jump on board G+ soon.
  10. meh, it's alright. The circle idea is pretty cool but facebook will copy that in no time plus the "hangouts" are pretty neat. I've been wondering when a messenger was going to finally let you do group video chats, looks like g+ won that race. What's stopping fb from just immediately copying that just like dominos copied pizza hut's stuffed crust? Nothing.

Adding people on G+ is a pain in the fucking ass. It seems as if the only way is if you know their gmail, wtf? They gotta find a better way or this will fizzle quick. It is still kind of glitchy but I'm sure they'll iron that stuff out.

Oh and that graph is bullshit. All flash and flare but really it means dick. Hope I don't have to explain that.

To the people who seriously think this will overtake fb I just have this to say:

Edited By: voorh33s Jul 23rd, 2011 at 07:30 AM
  11. I just got into twitter like 4 months ago. I mostly just tweet there because I feel like making stupid statuses all the time on facebook is just annoying.

Google plus doesn't interest me at all, even though I made a page for it. I don't really like the layout now at all and I just have a bunch of random people adding me kinda like myspace all over again.

I do believe like others posted google will make something of this, they have amazingly smart people working for them and they wouldn't have launched without a plan.
    Originally Posted by voorh33s View Post

I just have this to say:

cantseeshit_capn.gif
  13. #wtfalready??
    Originally Posted by voorh33s View Post

To the people who seriously think this will overtake fb I just have this to say:

google will bury FB and Twitter
  15. Article on how G+ is going to heal the sick and clothe the needy: http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/07/goo...-backbone.html
  16. sick brag re G+ being obama...
  17. very illuminating article. Sounds like the map of the future has been laid out, but how much resistance will it meet with the many people in mainstream society who don't recognize embrace the true benefits or embrace change and the new way?

Something tells me that the answer is all a part of Google's master plan... get the functional users on there first and slowly feed it through the channels to where the most resistant won't have to come onboard until it is completely mainstream. But it's going to take quite awhile imo.
    Edited By: resilient Jul 23rd, 2011 at 08:24 AM

google will bury FB and Twitter

Before Google Wave I would have agreed with this without question...but now that I know google is capable of producing a dud, I'm gonna maintain some skepticism that G+ is actually gonna overtake fb and twitter. Cosign all of voorh33s's criticisms, plus I'd like to register my extreme annoyance at the idea of re-adding all my fb friends even if it were easy to do...f that noise.

In any event, I don't doubt that G+ will do ok/well given the integration with Chrome, the built-in base from other Google accounts, and the whole "omfg new Google product!!!" buzz, but yeah.

Also, I don't really get the excitement over group video chat...haven't we been able to do this with iChat for 4+ years?
  19. Two homosexual communists arguing over who loves G+ more: http://www.bloomberg.com/video/72895696/
  20. leave ud and fwk alone, alright???!!???
    Originally Posted by norcaljeff View Post

leave ud and fwk alone, alright???!!???

loser, the current couple is ud and rocket scientist... you really need to show up to the gossip circle again, you just will not believe what I heard about beki.... let's just say, o..m..g.. scandalous.
    Originally Posted by TMLMS13 View Post

why do we need another social network site? Just having one is distracting enough

Money
    Originally Posted by YoungVic View Post

Money

Maybe Google's just trying to make the world a better place, like they did with their search engine. Ya think? Nah you're right it's probably money. Or both.

One nice edge Google has over FB is that this *isn't* their primary business. This means they can take risks that Facebook couldn't. Facebook isn't even really part of the internet, it's this closed off section of it, like AOL was back in the day. That's bad. It gives one company too much power. Competition and openness for the win.
  24. Google plus could never replace twitter in the same regard where u can follow whoever and easily get almost any breaking stoires instantly. I really enjoy twitter but not as much when the WSOP isnt going on. I had oringally got it for poker but have grown to find other uses for it
    Edited By: Popperhead Jul 23rd, 2011 at 04:58 PM
    Originally Posted by Popperhead View Post

Google plus could never replace twitter in the same regard where u can follow whoever and easily get almost any breaking stoires instantly. I really enjoy twitter but not as much when the WSOP isnt going on. I had oringally got it for poker but have grown to find other uses for it

I don't follow your point. You can follow whoever, you don't have to make "friends" with them like Facebook. Except unlike Twitter, you aren't arbitrarily limited to 140 characters - a rule which will seem quaint once SMS fades into the sunset, smart phones become ubiquitous, and we finally get a decent protocol for text messaging. Also unlike Twitter, the Circles feature is designed in from the start, whereas Twitter's "lists" are an afterthought, poorly implemented, and thus a pain to use.

Don't get me wrong, I've gotten plenty of value out of Twitter - I just don't see how it is in anyway superior to G+, other than that their user base is bigger, and their API is more mature. Twitter's days are numbered.
    Originally Posted by emcee21 View Post

I don't follow your point. You can follow whoever, you don't have to make "friends" with them like Facebook. Except unlike Twitter, you aren't arbitrarily limited to 140 characters - a rule which will seem quaint once SMS fades into the sunset, smart phones become ubiquitous, and we finally get a decent protocol for text messaging. Also unlike Twitter, the Circles feature is designed in from the start, whereas Twitter's "lists" are an afterthought, poorly implemented, and thus a pain to use.

Don't get me wrong, I've gotten plenty of value out of Twitter - I just don't see how it is in anyway superior to G+, other than that their user base is bigger, and their API is more mature. Twitter's days are numbered.

I highly doubt that Google plus wont be used by lots of people for at least 1-2 years. look how long it took twitter to get off the ground. Google plus is a tiny bit late to the gangbang
    Edited By: Popperhead Jul 25th, 2011 at 05:23 PM

I am itching to create a Pocketfives circle. If you want an invite, post or PM your email address.

Are you fucking kidding me asshole?

Seriously, gfy.

No, not seriously.
    Edited By: Underdog Jul 25th, 2011 at 05:44 PM
  28. http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/07/goo...-backbone.html

Havent read just stolen from a FB post
    Edited By: Popperhead Jul 25th, 2011 at 05:48 PM
    Originally Posted by Popperhead View Post

I highly doubt that Google plus wont be used by lots of people for at least 1-2 years. look how long it took twitter to get off the ground. Google plus is a tiny bit late to the gangbang

Tiny bit late but with a whole lot of money to improve and market. Twitter has been around for a while, but didn't really start getting noticed until the past few years. G+ is already well known and basically on every news site.

- apparently Zuckerberg is philosophically opposed to putting your friends in circles).

fn Commie
    Edited By: userid363 Jul 25th, 2011 at 05:58 PM