[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

Originally Posted by Bigblind Popper View Post

um ok, so thats 3 and add wilt thats 4 wich leaves russell 5. i stand by my statement.

I think David Robinson is close and Dwight Howard will eventually pass him as well. I am not saying that Russell isn't an all time great, I just think if you transposed him to todays game, he would have to play the 4 instead of 5 and perhaps should be compared to the likes of Malone and Duncan.
    Add slaps825 to Rail
    Originally Posted by warden View Post

no, but someone glossed over the 99 playoffs and focused on the 95 finals.

Originally Posted by RoyalCrusher View Post

did you forget to look at the stats too?

i assume youre talking about the NBA finals where the rockets swept the magic? shaq in his 3rd year in the league played as well as hakeem in his prime.
    28/12.5/6.3 on 60% shooting against 32.8/11.5/5.5 on 48% for hakeem. the next time they met in the playoffs ('99) shaq obliterated him

16th year vs 8th or

9th year vs 2nd

which series would an intellectually honest individual use as evidence of a true h2h comparison?

Add Randers to Rail
  3. When I think of 'NBA player I would want entertaining children at a birthday party', I think Shaq.

When I think 'NBA Center I would want to start an NBA team', I think Hakeem.

Hakeem > Akeem > Shaq
    Add kellykip to Rail
    Originally Posted by Randers View Post

16th year vs 8th or

9th year vs 2nd

which series would an intellectually honest individual use as evidence of a true h2h comparison?

neither. shaq was too young the first time, hakeem too old the 2nd time. Both results seem standard to me.
    Add AMARTIN1181 to Rail
  5. Shaq's 3rd year in the league was one of his 5 best, Hakeems 16th year was one of his 5 worst.
    Edited By: Randers Jun 5th, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Add Randers to Rail

Shaq's 3rd year in the league was one of his 5 best, Hakeems 16th year was one of his 5 worst.

correct me if i'm counting wrong, but 1999 was his 15th year, and it definitely wasn't one of his 5 worst. and you could make a pretty good argument that shaq's 2nd/3rd years were not among his 5 best.
    Add warden to Rail
  7. Hakeem is way too fast for Shaq. He can take him off the dribble or school him in the post. Shaq can't guard people who can extend out and hit a 15 foot jump etc.. He isn't a good match up for Shaq. Not saying who is better but at no point would Shaq be able to stop The Dream in his prime--The Admiral is a better match up defensively and that is a no contest
    Add Zeppelin to Rail
  8. Zeppelin is absolutely right about Hakeem being a bad matchup for Shaq. Hakeem could have played power forward as well as he did center. Shaq had a couple inches on him but it didn't matter. Both guys are HOF and 2 of the best ever, just leave it at that.
    Add DonkDon to Rail
  9. Dpottz wrong 3x in 2 posts. Signs of rapture.

(x) 99 was a shit season for Hakeem
    (x) 95 was one of if not Oneal's most productive season.
    (x) someone weighted the 99 series heavier than the 95 matchup.

I'll take your word it was his '15th season'.

Add Randers to Rail
  10. Top 50 of all time according to Slam Magazine in 2009. Pretty cool list. I enjoyed scrolling through it
    http://www.slamonline.com/online/the...he-new-top-50/

4. Shaquille O’Neal
    A legend in his own time. A juggernaut. A true difference-maker if ever there was one. Made everybody he played with better. Shaquille O’Neal is a star amongst stars and has been one of the focal points of the League for his entire 17-year career. His stats are monstrous. For reference sake, here are a couple: Playoff averages of 25 and 12, 15 All-Star Game appearances, tied with Chamberlain for the most times leading the League in field goal percentage (9), won two scoring titles, ’93 Rookie of the Year, 2000 MVP, three Finals MVPs and four rings. Could have had more if not for the Kobe battles, but still, four rings is nothing to laugh at. At his peak he was a physical marvel, 7-1 and 330-plus yet agile and quick. An underrated shot-blocker. Arguably the best post scorer ever. Even now, he still routinely pushes around other big men with a physicality rivaled by only a few players in the history of the game. He made you laugh. Made Kings fans cry. He calls himself the LCL (Last Center Left). I believe him.—Khalid Salaam

Hakeem Olajuwon: 13
    Hakeem the Dream, first thrust onto the basketball consciousness as a star for the great University of Houston teams of the early ’80s, went on to an NBA career that featured a dozen All-Star selections, the all-time record for blocked shots, two Finals MVPs, two Defensive Player of the Year Awards, the most steals in Rockets history and the ’94 League MVP Award under his belt. A rare talent who—due in part to his youth training as a soccer player in his native Nigeria—possessed superb footwork. One of the very few dominant players on both offense and defense, he scored nearly 27,000 points in his career and grabbed nearly 14,000 rebounds. Offensively, all the pump fakes and change of directions were designed to get his opponent off balance (seriously, the Dream Shake could have a write-up all its own) and out of position. Standing 7-0 with an athletic 255-pound body, he used both finesse and muscle, and combined quick hands, upper body strength and nimbleness to shut down opponents.—KS
    Add Zeppelin to Rail

Dpottz wrong 3x in 2 posts. Signs of rapture.

(x) 99 was a shit season for Hakeem
    (x) 95 was one of if not Oneal's most productive season.
    (x) someone weighted the 99 series heavier than the 95 matchup.

I'll take your word it was his '15th season'.

all i did is look at WS/48 to get a general idea of where that season ranked for each guy, and it isn't in the bottom 5 of hakeem and shaq's season wasn't in his top 5.

again, if you're just looking at straight ppg/rpg, you're doing it wrong. hakeem's early seasons are going to be skewed upward because of the pace of the game (just as with karl malone). hakeem's stats may look about the same (and maybe a little worse) when comparing 1999 to his rookie season, but his team averaged ~102 possessions a game in 1984-85 and ~89 in 1999.

and again, the person weighing the 99 series heavier was doing it is response to someone ignoring it entirely.
    Add warden to Rail
  12. I take the dream because he was a much better defensive player then Shaq. The dream was also a better free throw shooter.
    Edited By: kevmode Jun 6th, 2011 at 08:34 AM

Add kevmode to Rail