[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. Clara Hughes:
    Two Bronze medals in Cycling at the 1996 summer Olympics.

In Speed Skating, a bronze in the 2002, a gold and silver in 2006 and a bronze in the 2010 winter olympics.

I think she is the only athlete (male or female) to have multiple medals in both the summer and winter games.

I know this thread has become about the major team sports but I thought I would point that out, it is pretty impressive.

Add TMLMS13 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Z-Fresh View Post

You said top 50 receivers. I said majority of top WRs. There is a difference? And don't call me women's undergarment. It's rude.

I'm sorry.

U guys think Wakefield retired to pursue a punting career in the NFL?

Originally Posted by TMLMS13 View Post

Clara Hughes:
    Two Bronze medals in Cycling at the 1996 summer Olympics.

In Speed Skating, a bronze in the 2002, a gold and silver in 2006 and a bronze in the 2010 winter olympics.

I think she is the only athlete (male or female) to have multiple medals in both the summer and winter games.

I know this thread has become about the major team sports but I thought I would point that out, it is pretty impressive.

We're talking about black people not fire crotches.
    Add DoubleUp28 to Rail
  3. It was such a pleasure to be able to watch Jordan play in his prime. One of the greatest athletes ever and THE greatest NBA player of all time. Add to that his marketing power. It was just great to be a basketball fan during the 90's.

Add mdshack14 to Rail
    Originally Posted by zeppelinzoso16 View Post

All of the above. The best athlete doesn't barely hang on to a minor league team only due to his fame hitting .202

Answer has to be Bo Jackson. All star baseball player, heisman in football, could have gone down as one of the best running backs ever in the NFL, could have been an olympic runner or done anything he wanted, cause he is the best athlete of the past 30 years.

Deion is up there too. There are a lot of NFL receivers who could be in the NBA that are not better basketball players, but probably better athletes than Jordan

I've had this convo on this board before, but I can't resist. I think it's dumb to call Bo Jackson a greater athlete than Michael Jordan based on one All-Star baseball season and had just 7.8 career WAR (for perspective, Albert Pujols and Barry Bonds have had higher WAR in one season.) And sorry, Bo's inability to stay healthy makes it silly to say he "could" have been one of the greatest RBs in the NFL. That's like saying Ron Dayne could have been the GOAT if he was more agile and ran a 4.2 40. Don't tarnish Bo's record by saying something silly like that; there's nothing embarrassing about being one of the greatest COLLEGE football players in history.

In terms of on-the-field accomplishments, the GOAT in one sport is far more impressive than the equivalent of above average production for 3 years in the NFL and 5 years in MLB. If you just want to say Bo had a faster 40 time and could bench press more, who fucking cares? Like 12 people watch the combine, hundreds of millions watch the Super Bowl.
    Add Pghfan987 to Rail
  5. Allen iverson
    Add AMARTIN1181 to Rail
    Originally Posted by AMARTIN1181 View Post

Allen iverson

wasn't he Virginia's highschool football player of the year?
    Add Z-Fresh to Rail
  7. in the last 4 seasons Bobcats are 38 games under .500

same time Raptors are 56 games under .500 AND will get a notibly better lottery pick in the draft.

gotta be frightening feeling for Colangelo to be less than 100 PERCENT SURE sure you're a better GM than Michael Jordan

Add trajan30 to Rail
  8. I'd just like to point out that DoubleUp is a moron, and clearly has no idea of the sheer size it takes to play basketball at the NBA level. You're telling me all of the top level wide receivers would be good enough to play guard in the NBA? Because NONE of them have to size to play forward. They would get slaughtered.
    Add Sangwich to Rail
  9. Today is my moms 49th birthday also.
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
    Originally Posted by XXEDPXX View Post

Today is my moms 49th birthday also.

Pics or gtfo
    Thread StarterAdd sinatra22 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Pghfan987 View Post

I've had this convo on this board before, but I can't resist. I think it's dumb to call Bo Jackson a greater athlete than Michael Jordan based on one All-Star baseball season and had just 7.8 career WAR (for perspective, Albert Pujols and Barry Bonds have had higher WAR in one season.) And sorry, Bo's inability to stay healthy makes it silly to say he "could" have been one of the greatest RBs in the NFL. That's like saying Ron Dayne could have been the GOAT if he was more agile and ran a 4.2 40. Don't tarnish Bo's record by saying something silly like that; there's nothing embarrassing about being one of the greatest COLLEGE football players in history.

In terms of on-the-field accomplishments, the GOAT in one sport is far more impressive than the equivalent of above average production for 3 years in the NFL and 5 years in MLB. If you just want to say Bo had a faster 40 time and could bench press more, who fucking cares? Like 12 people watch the combine, hundreds of millions watch the Super Bowl.

Thats not the same thing at all but whatever. I wrote a longer post but i screwed up and had to start over. Im just gonna say your criteria for determining who is a better athlete is wrong. Im not saying you cant make the argument that Jordan is a better athlete than Bo but your reasnoning is completely screwed up. I mean bringing up WAR for this argument? Im not putting a huge emphasis on this point but it means something. are you aware that Bo played his last couple years in the majors with a fake hip? Im sure playing with a fake hip had an affect on his WAR. If were using your logic I could say I'm a better athlete than Bill Russel. He's old and probably cant jump at all. probably has arthritis. I could beat him one on one so I'm a better athlete right? cause as you've said injuries shouldnt matter? thats the equivilent of saying age shouldnt matter. I know thats a ridiculous argument but im trying to prove why your injury isnt an excuse argument is wrong. You cant really control injuries. The same way you cant control age. During his peak when he wasnt walking around like an 80 year old women with a fake hip he was a freak athlete. What happened injuries wise doesnt take away from that at all. You cant change that. A lack of accomplishments in professional sports dont take away from it either. You could make a strong argument that accomplishments in team sports should have minimal weight in this debate and it seems to be your whole argument.
    Edited By: XXEDPXX Feb 17th, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
    Originally Posted by XXEDPXX View Post

Thats not the same thing at all but whatever. I wrote a longer post but i screwed up and had to start over. Im just gonna say your criteria for determining who is a better athlete is wrong. Im not saying you cant make the argument that Jordan is a better athlete than Bo but your reasnoning is completely screwed up. I mean bringing up WAR for this argument?

Come on, now. It's a subjective argument. Obviously you value strength/speed/potential, I value on the field results at the highest level.
    Add Pghfan987 to Rail
  13. No, you are trying to change Ron Dayne's athletic abilities, Bo Jackson already has those abilities. And of course how strong and fast somebody is should be taken into account in calling them the greatest athlete ever

Being the best basketball player doesn't make you the best athlete. Shaq is probably around #5 all time on most people's all time NBA list, he is not a top 5 athlete in NBA history.
    Add Zeppelin to Rail
    Originally Posted by zeppelinzoso16 View Post

Being the best basketball player doesn't make you the best athlete. Shaq is probably around #5 all time on most people's all time NBA list, he is not a top 5 athlete in NBA history.

The argument is pointless, people use such different criteria for the "greatest athlete of all-time", there should be two different threads. FWIW I think Tiger Woods is on the short list for greatest athlete of all-time.

If this was a bodybuilding of an Olympics forum or something like that, I can see the term "athlete" meaning something different. But we generally watch how players perform on sports' biggest stages, and I think the argument for GOAT athlete should be based on those performances.
    Add Pghfan987 to Rail
  15. I think the OP using the term "greatest professional athlete" makes your criteria valid for this specific thread. I'll give you that. If were talking about greatest athlete in its purest form though I dont think your career accomplishments argument holds much water
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail