[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. As some of you might know, I'm a HUGE video game nerd, and I love classic games. I've decided that I'm going to build myself an arcade cabinet. I have built one in the past, and I miss it so damn much. I had to leave it when I moved, because it was too big and heavy.

I'm making the control panel exchangeable, so I can have one setup for two players with 7 buttons for each, and one setup for 4 players with 3 buttons each and so on.

Since I'm having a hard time finding a cheap enough arcade monitor, I'm going to have to use a LCD for now. I'll hopefully get it replaced in the future. I'm going to make the screen rotatable, so you can turn the screen when you play games with tall screens, like pac-man and donkey kong.

During the next months I'll keep you guys updated with pics and stuff. I don't know how long I'll use, but it's probably going to be restricted by my budget. I'm unemployed and can't afford to buy all the stuff I need at once.

So far I've ordered the arcade controls (two joysticks, 20 buttons and a keyboard interface), and I got a 7" screen arriving today, that I think I might use instead of a marquee (maybe dynamicly change the marquee when you change games).

Other than that, I need to buy the materials, mostly MDF plates and 2x4's. When I moved from Trondheim 3 years ago, I gave my brother thousands worth of power tools, so I need to go reclaim some of them as well. Then I need a computer to run the emulators. I'm probably going for a Intel Atom board with ION graphics on it. All the computer stuff is going to be about $300, so it's not that bad. I could go for a cheaper atom board, but the ION ones has PCI-Express 16 slots, and I might want it to run a game like Street Fighter 4 in the future (which it already might be able to or at least close to), so with those I can add a graphics card without buying a new motherboard and CPU.

That's all I need to get it up and running. I'll get my dad to print out some cool graphics for me. I'll probably want to add a coin door in the future, and as I said earlier, other control configurations (maybe a wheel and pedals?). The project is probably going to take 2-3 months, depending on how I run with monies and stuff.

If anyone have any questions, comments or suggestions about the project I'd love to here them. Has anyone else built an home made arcade cabinet before?

Ohh yeah baby.. Just as I was going to click "Post", my gf comes in and tells me she got a job at some thingie doing something (didn't really listen). $$$$$$$$ Might finish this thing sooner than expected :D
    Add Scha to Rail
  2. Here is a a pretty awesome thread on 2+2 following a guy building a MAME cabinet, it turned out pretty great and I am thinking about doing something similar

<a target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/75/video-games/itt-quadstriker-builds-arcade-machine-ongoing-tr-pics-450048/" >
    </a>
    http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/75...r-pics-450048/

I am def considering doing this in the future so I will probably follow suit, I have tons of computer parts lying around, I will just use a motherboard with a decent onboard video card so I can even run dreamcast, plastation, n64 etc... emulators. I can get the carpentry and painting done for cheap but the the screen is the thing I dont have yet. I might just use a cheap used like 32 inch CRT TV (not flat screen but the bigger older style although I need a converter to get it to run the video, it would look more like a real arcade cabinet vs a LCD). I already know how to configure the OS to just boot up into mame kinda like in the video of that guys machine on 2+2. I'll embed it here but the thread is def worth reading for anyone else considering doing this
    <object height="385" width="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HXPlQ5k-SI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HXPlQ5k-SI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>
    Add gotcha to Rail
  3. Here is another pretty sweet site with tons of info

http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/
    Add gotcha to Rail
  4. Sigh, i want kittens so bad b/c of you.

side note: you're a weird one brotha
    Add feedthemfish to Rail
  5. Nice. I'm probably going with HyperSpin as front end.

I will probably have to modify it somehow to get the marquee screen to work properly. They got a version called HyperPin for virtual pinball machines, and those use 2-3 screens, and in hyperpin it updates both the main screen, and the screen displaying the backplate. I want the backplate function for my marquee screen.

That is.. If I'm using the tiny little LCD as a marquee at all. I might just put in a regular marquee instead. I'll decide later, I haven't even received it yet.
    Thread StarterAdd Scha to Rail
  6. Keep us posted, I was going to do this a couple of years ago but I ended being a lazy bastard instead. If you want a cheaper option than an LCD, an old 19 or 20 inch CRT monitor is a perfect size for an arcade screen, you'll prob pick one up for free through your local classifieds or recycling plant.
    Add freeworld777 to Rail
  7. I had a 21&quot; CRT in my last one, and it was so damn perfect. The only bad thing about CRT's is that they are super deep, so I have to account for the size when I design the cabinet. I just checked the classifieds and someone is selling a 22&quot; TV and a TV chair for about $50. I probably will buy something like that, but I'm not sure yet.
    Thread StarterAdd Scha to Rail
  8. Sounds pretty sweet scha, looking forward to updates, fellow video game nerd here.
    Add JayAces to Rail