[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. Monday night I fell down the stairs. I didn't hit my head to my knowledge, didn't even know I hurt my neck. I knew I hurt my back pretty badly and was kind of out of it an nauseous but I really didn't think I hit my head. I got the wind knocked out of me, and I really just chalked everything except for the physical pain up to nerves. I woke up Tues morning and cold barely move my neck. When I finally got up and went to work, I was having focusing my eyes without seeing double. I went to the neurologist and he said that when I fell my neck must have jerked (hence neck pain) giving me whiplash which caused a minor concussion. It is now Thursday and I'm still having trouble focusing, and have had a prolonging headache for like 72 hours. I'm an asshole and didn't take off of work so I have to actually work through it, can't just sleep it off.

Anyone have any idea how long this focusing issue should last? I didn't have a "bad" concussion, I always assumed with minor ones you didn't have prolonging symptoms. Any input would be appreciated and read with one eye closed-I seem to have to read things similarly to the way I do when I'm drunk.
    Add AnonymousX to Rail
  2. What you need to do is stand up straight, then slowly bend over and grab your ankles. Count to ten while you're down there and take deep breaths. Make sure to do this in a wide open area with good ventilation so that you get lots of oxygen. There is a slight chance that you could lose conciousness so make sure that there are a few people around who can render aid if necessary.
    Add timthegem to Rail
  3. GO SEE A DOCTOR FFS
    Add Glo4m to Rail
  4. Took me a good week. I got a bad one on Christmas Eve. Was in ER and everything. Had to scan my head as the injury was ugly. Couldn't drive, was dizzy for days, and the headache was unbearable, they had to give me a strong painkiller. I get migraines a lot, but this headache was different. The headache is mainly what sent me to ER. I couldn't smile, talk, or laugh because just moving my mouth hurt my head. It was a painful Christmas.
    Add AZlady to Rail
    Originally Posted by Glo4m View Post

GO SEE A DOCTOR FFS

didn't read OP?????? I stated that I went to the neurologist after the blurred vision started. How else would I know I have a concussion? I'm not self diagnosing.
    Thread StarterAdd AnonymousX to Rail
  6. I forget
    Add CookMeSomeGrits to Rail
    Originally Posted by tsxxx04 View Post

didn't read OP?????? I stated that I went to the neurologist after the blurred vision started. How else would I know I have a concussion? I'm not self diagnosing.

Oh, I guess maybe I have blurry vision too. But don't you think the neurologist could answer your question better than OT?
    Add Glo4m to Rail
  8. He's not in today and I didn't think to ask when I was there. I know there are a bunch of OTers who have had concussions so was hoping they would post how long it lasted in their experiences. I really thought that it would be gone within a day which is why I didn't think to ask. Pretty crazy that this can happen without (at least knowingly) hitting my head.
  9. If I was real I would have some advice here. But I'm not.
    Add Tim Lock to Rail
  10. I've had 4 concussions, all from sports in HS.

The longest it took me to recover from one of them was a week; but that one was really bad. I smacked the back of my head on the ground getting tackled in a practice drill. I couldn't really see straight for a day or two, but had lingering headaches until the following week.

All of my other concussions have been minor and I was out for just a couple days each.
    Add STOPPER19 to Rail
  11. 2-3 weeks before your all uncloudy i would guess, since yours is minor

i had a major one and was cloudy/couldnt really walk for over 2 months. that fucking sucked
    Add Lameass_ to Rail
  12. I just got sent home from work for the first time in 3+ years with my company. Apparently I couldn't formulate sentences on the phone too coherently and my boss thought I was a liability. I feel pretty badly because both of my bosses are stuck doing my work because I didn't get in touch with them until noon and there wasn't anyone else available. Ugh.

Apparently I couldn't formulate sentences on the phone too coherently

yeah its prob time to get an emergency appt with that neurologist. no sense in taking any chances. gl, hope its nothing and goes away soon.
    Add Glo4m to Rail

I just got sent home from work for the first time in 3+ years with my company. Apparently I couldn't formulate sentences on the phone too coherently and my boss thought I was a liability. I feel pretty badly because both of my bosses are stuck doing my work because I didn't get in touch with them until noon and there wasn't anyone else available. Ugh.

I'm pretty sure any neuro Dr or even that lil slip you sign when you leave the ER says something along the lines of:"Call Dr immed. or return to ER if you have any of the following symptoms", etc. I'm pretty sure "speaking incoherently" and "not being able to see without squinting like a drunk" are listed somewhere on some paperwork or something.

I mean, what else has to happen to further prompt you to seek further medical attention? C'mon now....you hafta know that something is a lil fucked up. Prolly wouldn't be all that safe to be driving self around. Call a friend or something maybe? Feel better, yada yada...
    Add michlad to Rail
  15. I have symptoms 10 years later.
    Add Pker4Dummies to Rail
    Originally Posted by Glo4m View Post

yeah its prob time to get an emergency appt with that neurologist. no sense in taking any chances. gl, hope its nothing and goes away soon.

well, I can formulate sentences, was just having trouble expressing myself partially because I was overwhelmed and upset because I didn't think I could handle me humongous work load and partially because my brain feels a bit jumbled. I'm obviously able to formulate sentences/thoughts in general considering I'm able to type them out here. I shouldn't have been working, made a stupid decision to not want to lose a big commission over my health which in the long run didn't matter because I was given strict orders to go home. If by tomorrow I'm still having issues with my eyes focusing, I will definitely go back to the doctor. Today I'm going to rest-I know that concussions take time, I just didn't realize that a minor one would cause so many problems.

and thank you.
    Edited By: AnonymousX Mar 24th, 2011 at 08:00 PM
    Reason: forgot to say thanks
  17. Depending on the severity it could take a while.

Add hockeywonk to Rail
  18. are you sure your not to embarrassed to tell us the truth? something along the lines of head slammed against a bed board truth? hope you get better asap tho

Add Believer82 to Rail
  19. LOL doubt I'd be embarrassed to tell OT if I banged my head due to rough sex. Would have made for a much better story. And, thanks I hope so too.

Originally Posted by hockeywonk View Post

Depending on the severity it could take a while.

yea, he's fucked. Thank God this isn't even in the same category of what happened to him. I wonder if he will ever be the same.
  20. I just noticed you live in NY what part? I have never been and have been wanting to take a trip there.

Add Believer82 to Rail
  21. Long Island..Little less then an hour from NYC which is where you would obv go if you visited these parts-and you should. Everyone should experience NYC IMO.
  22. whoa, justin may be back. lets not say fucked quite yet

also, i feel bad you are hurting but lol at falling down stairs, sounds like you maybe forgot to make a sandwich
    Add Co1one1_Forbin to Rail
  23. no my dr wants me to stop taking celebrex everyday b/c it's bad longterm, and I was carrying my dog down the stairs and my leg out of nowhere got shooting pains so bad that caused me to lose my balance and I didn't want to kill my dog so I held onto her instead of bracing my fall.

I hope Morneau is back, I really like him as a player but to still be having symptoms this far down the road sounds scary to me.
  24. Sid the Kid hasnt played since Jan 5th..
    Add AFink93 to Rail
  25. Don't be surprised to have symptoms for months. Not all of them (nauseous, incoherence), but balance problems, focusing problems - these can all last a long time. Only had one concussion and missed school for 6 weeks (nauseous symptoms lasted for days, balance issues for weeks). Sucked because it was my senior year (but early enough in the year to not miss anything important).

Should have claimed that you got it from something work related to get a comp claim.

Add SpankyHamm to Rail
  26. lol it wasn't work related but it was caused BY my work injury. Not trying to get another comp claim though, just want to get better asap.
  27. She is struggling enough as it is Believer she doesn't need you threatening to visit her on top of this.

Sucks OP, I had a minor one and had no symptoms after like 2 days, sounds like yours is a little more than "minor" and def get it rechecked. GL feel better
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  28. LOL @ your first comment.

It has only been 2.5 days and I'm sure working the last 2 made things a ton worse. I'm feeling alright right now, I've been laying down for like 3-4 hours for the most part and was able to eat dinner-wasn't able to the past 2 nights. If when I get up tomorrow I'm feeling disoriented, I will 100% be going to the dr. Do NOT want to end up waiting to the weekend and having to God forbid go to the ER. That's a nightmare at any decent hospital on the weekends here. Keeping my fingers crossed that I wake up OK tomorrow.

I'm supposed to have physical therapy tonight, and even though I can't do any of the weight stuff obv, I'm hoping he can give me some advice on how to get better asap being that I'm sure he's had 1000 patients who have gotten a concussion while getting whatever injury landed them in PT.

TY for the luck, I need it!!!
  29. BigEarn7 won last years Plattsburgh
    Add BillMueller to Rail

Ill guess about as long as the doctor said it would take.
    Add swizbeatz to Rail