1. It's 100 bucks and it takes 3-4 hours. My car was in pretty bad shape. Looked like cookie monster lived in there. Crumbs everywhere and the occasional booger when I thought I had a napkin and didn't.

I figure a 10 spot should do. What say you OT. Hopefully well have some bickering between former car washers and Steve Buschemi types. (forgot what color he is)
    Add dolphin13 to Rail
  2. Mr Pink.

$10 is good imo. $15-$20 if you get a happy ending.
    Add MadProfesor to Rail
  3. 1/2 ounce of silver
    Add Glo4m to Rail
  4. Ha I thought about overtipping at a restaurant and leaving a half ounce of silver and see what transpires.
    Thread StarterAdd dolphin13 to Rail
  5. Hijack:

are you supposed to tip dog groomers? Gotta pick up the little guy in a few hours and don't know the rules.

$10-$20 sounds fine for detail
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
    Originally Posted by dolphin13 View Post

Ha I thought about overtipping at a restaurant and leaving a half ounce of silver and see what transpires.

would be interesting to see how that would turn out
    Add Glo4m to Rail
  7. 3 $1 bills, and 2 quarters
    Add markeckert2000 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Glo4m View Post

would be interesting to see how that would turn out

server would probably think you left them a half dollar piece
    Add littleze to Rail
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

Hijack:

are you supposed to tip dog groomers? Gotta pick up the little guy in a few hours and don't know the rules.

We do. Like $10 on an $80-$100 job.
    Add Willywoo to Rail
  10. LOL Rich People
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
    Originally Posted by Hank H1LL View Post

LOL Rich People

The dogs look damn good tho. That's important when you're hiking and you run into people on the trail.
    Add Willywoo to Rail
    Originally Posted by Willywoo View Post

That's about what I figured. We do work for the guys building so I think he is hooking me up (only $50 for a cut, wash and nail trim and I have a Shepherd) so I will probably give a little more.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  13. I have no doubt. honestly I don't think I even know what a car detailer was until this thread. and you have to tip them too? my mind is blown.

speaking of tips, I tipped the pizza guy $7, $9, and $7 the last 3 times I've ordered it, on a $18 order. it's normally $5, but now they show up in half the time they used to. I'm scared to move back down to my 5 dollar standard.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail

grooming an OES is quite a task!
    Add Glo4m to Rail
    Originally Posted by Hank H1LL View Post

I have no doubt. honestly I don't think I even know what a car detailer was until this thread. and you have to tip them too? my mind is blown.

speaking of tips, I tipped the pizza guy $7, $9, and $7 the last 3 times I've ordered it, on a $18 order. it's normally $5, but now they show up in half the time they used to. I'm scared to move back down to my 5 dollar standard.

$5 would equal the biggest tip I got delivering pizzas. Granted I only did it like 10 nights total but still I never got over a $5 tip. People are so fucking cheap it's unreal. The first pizza I delivered I lost money on because it was like 19.82 total and the chick gave me a $20 and held her hand out for the change. All I had was a quarter so I lost 7 cents on the exchange. Almost quit right there.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail

Hijack:

Yeah, it's like a hairdresser imo. I tip $5-10 on a $40-50 grooming session.

Add Paki_Poker to Rail

All I had was a quarter so I lost 7 cents on the exchange. Almost quit right there.

loool

I'm extremely paranoid about people messing with my food. like, I try to get rid of irrational day-to-day fears like that but letting people have total control over what I'm eating completely freaks me out. I'll never complain if my order gets messed up and I always try to be as respectful as possible. it's OT's fault after reading posts from all the bitter shitheads that like to mess with people's food and now I tip even more if I'm somewhere I go fairly often. last night I had to sign for a card in a fast food drive thru and I actually put $2 on the tip line. it's a disease imo.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  18. $15 on a hundred is about right.
    Add raisethis2 to Rail
  19. i usually give a gift card that i have stored in my wallet somewhere. i tip with gift cards often. :)
    Edited By: MissBecky Jun 24th, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    Reason: re-gift ftw! ;)
    Add MissBecky to Rail
  20. I guess I never thought about tipping the detailer. I don't usually tip cash businesses. My dry cleaner plays golf with me and the dude claims around 30k a year income when it's closer to 300k. He won't ever get a tip from me.

I will tip the barberette though.
    Add ginwilly to Rail
    Originally Posted by raisethis2 View Post

$15 on a hundred is about right.

As a part time detailer, if your car was relatively tidy and you got a full interior/exterior, no buffing, for $100, I'd say $10, but as you said your car was pretty dirty on the inside, $15 sounds kosher, $20 for a full on nightmare. The worst I've had to do was a minivan that appeared to be the shuttle car for the entire city's 5th grade soccer teams, the charge up front was $300 (full shampoo interior, major buffing on all of the exterior except the lower side panels) and I guess I was expecting around $40 from the soccer mom; she gave me a 5. Called me about 3 months later and was genuinely shocked when I told her to go fuck herself.
    Edited By: Senescent Jun 24th, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    Reason: /csb
    Add Senescent to Rail

The dogs look damn good tho. That's important when you're hiking and you run into people on the trail.

lol rich hippies.
    Add Autolobotomist to Rail
  23. ffs, it's mr. pink.
    Add The Alchemist to Rail
  24. only thing dirtier than the cookie monster....the dildo monster.
    Add Mr Galt to Rail
    Originally Posted by Senescent View Post

As a part time detailer, if your car was relatively tidy and you got a full interior/exterior, no buffing, for $100, I'd say $10, but as you said your car was pretty dirty on the inside, $15 sounds kosher, $20 for a full on nightmare. The worst I've had to do was a minivan that appeared to be the shuttle car for the entire city's 5th grade soccer teams, the charge up front was $300 (full shampoo interior, major buffing on all of the exterior except the lower side panels) and I guess I was expecting around $40 from the soccer mom; she gave me a 5. Called me about 3 months later and was genuinely shocked when I told her to go fuck herself.

Tipping isn't mandatory. If you wanted $340 should charge $340

To me tipping is for the employee making shitty hourly wage working on tips. Not the guy who charges for a service and receives %100 - expenses.
    Edited By: Zeppelin Jun 25th, 2011 at 01:55 AM
    Add Zeppelin to Rail
  26. 50-60% should be good
    Add djg23 to Rail
  27. I've probably got $10 to $20 in coins scattered under my seats.

Along with a few extra crispy french fries and sesame seeds from the back seat, I'm sure the vac would pick those up and we'd call it even.
    Add XquiziVex to Rail
    Originally Posted by zeppelinzoso16 View Post

Tipping isn't mandatory. If you wanted $340 should charge $340

To me tipping is for the employee making shitty hourly wage working on tips. Not the guy who charges for a service and receives %100 - expenses.

agree 100%. waitresses, pizza delivery guys i tip. would never even think about tipping a car detailer.
    Add wab80 to Rail
  29. Don't they just tip themselves by stealing your change anyways?

Add Hoobangin to Rail
  30. I used to detail cars and never expected a tip...this is new to me

Add rivverkiller to Rail