1. Me and a buddy were just watching the Lakers/Heat and wondering how much like Stu Lantz and Joel Meyers get paid. I'm thinking it's gotta be at least 6 figures but definitely not a million. Somewhere in between. My best guess would be 200k-250k. Obv like John Madden and those kind of guys are probably making a milly+ but what about the regional sportscasters?
    Add SICKTIGHT311 to Rail
  2. i doubted they get 200k. the minimimum salary for baseball, basketball, and football is anywhere from 250K-500K depending on the sport. i doubt a regional broadcaster gets that much. i would go w/ 85K-135K
    Add poisoneye1986 to Rail
  3. For an average regional sportscaster strictly for their sportscasting duties: ~ 140k
    Add thefuture021 to Rail
  4. do they get paid by game or by season? I am sure with all of the broadcasting majors out there, there must be alot of people who would want to do broadcasting, so the pay probably isn't as high as you would think.
    Add (oIo) to Rail
  5. Regardless its a sweet gig, I was watching the same game except the Miami feed and our guy Eric Reid has been with the heat since the first year, has a championship ring too.
    Add xxACES UPxx to Rail
  6. 150-200K depends on how good team is/how long you've been there plus you probably never ahve to buy a drink or meal in town esp. if your team is good.
    Add joeykukzMSU to Rail
    Originally Posted by SICKTIGHT311 View Post

Me and a buddy were just watching the Lakers/Heat and wondering how much like Stu Lantz and Joel Meyers get paid. I'm thinking it's gotta be at least 6 figures but definitely not a million. Somewhere in between. My best guess would be 200k-250k. Obv like John Madden and those kind of guys are probably making a milly+ but what about the regional sportscasters?

loooooooool, I doubt these guys are making anywhere as much as you assume. Journalism in general pays very little. If John Madden makes anywhere close to 7 figures it is because of sponsorship deals. The job has plenty of perks ... dealing with sports, being on TV, free food on trips, but I doubt the base salary is that great.
    Add herdgolf86 to Rail
  8. I googled: "How much do regional sportscasters get paid?"

Check out the bottom bullet points for the fun ones

http://www.onlinesports.com/sportstrust/sports45.html
    <H2 align=center>SPORTS NEWS YOU CAN USE</H2> <H3 align=center>Issue 45 -- What Sportscasters Earn</H3>
    This issue will look at how much television sportscasters earn. It's surprisingly little for anyone but the top sports announcers and analysts. According to a survey of 317 sports anchors at television stations around the country, the median salary in 1994 was $30,875 (half of the respondents made more, half less). The average or mean salary was $44,070. Salaries ranged from $12,000 to $400,000.

Salaries went up as the number of fulltime staffers at the station increased. The median salary for sports anchors at stations with ten staffers or less was $18,750. It increased to $23,135 for those at stations with 11 to 20 people, $29,560 for those at stations with 21 to 30 people, $43,700 at stations with 31 to 50 people, and jumped to $91,250 at stations with 51 or more fulltime staffers. (1)

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median wage in 1996 for radio and television announcers (in all fields, not just sports) was $7.98 an hour and the average (mean) wage was $11.61 an hour. Thirty percent of the 57,400 people employed in the industry made under $11,960 a year. Another 25% made between $11,960 and $17,659 a year. (2)

Sportscasters on network broadcasts earn more, but unless they have fulltime contracts, they don't earn all that much. The pay for being an CBS analyst during the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics was relatively little. Paul Robbins (the only one out of 15 analysts who wasn't a former Olympian or ex-athlete) made about $3,500 for his commentary on cross-country skiing. Jim Rippey, a professional snowboarder, was paid $5,000 by CBS and a bonus of $10,000 from his sponsor, Burton Snowboards, for covering snowbaording. Randy Bartz (1994 Olympic silver medalist in the 5,000-meter short-track relay) earned $6,000 as the short-track speedskating commentator. Park Smalley (former U.S. ski team freestyle coach) made $12,000 as the freestyle ski analyst. Jeff Hastings, the ski jump analyst (he was a four-time U.S. champion), was paid $14,000. Bonnie Warner received $28,000 to discuss luge. (She was the U.S. women's luge champion four times, has previous broadcast experience, and is currently a pilot for United Airlines.) At the high end were the figure skating analysts, who were paid approximately $50,000. (3)

For the 1998 Winter X Games it was reported that ESPN paid mountain biker Missy Giove $1,000 a day to serve as an on-air commentator. (4)

The serious money starts to come into play for sportscasters who hold important positions within their networks' sports lineups. Top sportscasters earn $1 million a year or more. Even second and third-tier football analysts and play-by-play announcers earn in the $300,000 to $600,000 a year range. &quot;It would seem silly for [the networks] to spend billions on getting the NFL and then try to save hundreds of thousands and not get the people they want,&quot; said Arthur Kaminsky, head of the New York-based Marquee Group and the agent for a number of broadcasters, including Chris Berman, Al Michaels, and Dan Dierdorf. &quot;The guys at the very top level are extremely good and there is competition for their services. In this business, you want the best people you can get.&quot; (5)

Here are some reported salaries:
    • <LI>Bonnie Berstein gets $175,000-$200,000 a year as CBS's NFL reporter. She had been at ESPN for three years before that. (6)

<LI>Former NFL coach Joe Gibbs earns $300,000 a year as a football analyst for NBC. (7)

<LI>Kevin Kiley receives $300,000 as TNT's football reporter. (8)

<LI>Chris Myers, formerly host of ESPN's &quot;Up Close&quot; interview series, is getting $500,000 a year to be a reporter and interviewer at Fox. (9)

<LI>ESPN sportscaster Chris Berman is paid somewhere between $600,000 and $1 million a year. (10)

<LI>Former NBA player Isiah Thomas is paid $750,000 a year as a basketball analyst for NBC. (11)

<LI>Fox sportscaster James Brown receives approximately $1 million a year. (12)

<LI>Former NFL quarterback Joe Theismann gets $1 million a year from ESPN to serve as color commentator and studio analyst. (13)

<LI>Keith Olbermann (who was an anchor on ESPN's &quot;SportsCenter&quot; before taking a non-sports job at MSNBC) was recently hired by Fox to host a nightly sports news show. He will be paid approximately $1 million a year. (14)

<LI>Former NFL player Cris Collinsworth signed a five-year, $1 million a year contract with Fox as a part of the &quot;NFL Sunday&quot; pregame show. Previously he had been an analyst at NBC. (15)

<LI>Fox sportscaster Pat Summerall reportedly receives $1.5 million a year. (16)

<LI>NBC reportedly offered sportscaster Hannah Storm $1.5 million a year in 1996 to lure her away from CNN. (17)

<LI>Former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason receives approximately $1.6 million as year as a football analyst year for ABC. (18)

<LI>Sportscaster Greg Gumble changed from NBC to CBS in a five-year deal which averages $1.75 million a year. (19)

<LI>Former NFL quarterback Terry Bradshaw will receive $11 million over five years as a Fox studio co-host. (20)

<LI>CBS sportscaster Jim Nantz receives approximately $2.5 million a year. (21)

<LI>Sportscaster Bob Costas was reportedly receiving $2.3 million a year from NBC in 1993. His contract has since been extended until 2002 for an undisclosed amount. (22)

<LI>Former NFL coach John Madden receives between $6.5 million and $8.5 million a year as a football analyst for Fox. (23)

</LI>
    Most sports journalists work exclusively for one network, but in some sports, such as tennis, announcers and analysts have worked for several simultaneously. Mary Carillo has covered the U.S. Open for CBS, worked Wimbledon for NBC and HBO, and the Olympics for NBC. Similarly, John McEnroe has worked for NBC, CBS, and USA.

&quot;Tennis has evolved to a sport where announcers, particularly analysts, have crossed over to other networks,&quot; said Ross Greenburg, an executive producer with HBO. &quot;There is an unwritten rule that you can work for a variety of networks in the sport because it's unlike the others where there's a network exclusivity and a cable exclusivity.&quot; (24)

&quot;If you're doing the NFL and four other networks are also doing it, you don't want your people working somewhere else,&quot; said Bob Mansbach, who produced CBS's U.S. Open coverage. &quot;It's not like we're going up against other tennis during that same period. We want NBC to have a good Wimbledon. It helps keep up interest in the game, and if there's interest, it helps the ratings. When something is good for the sport, you don't root against them.&quot; (25)
    Add skeeze666 to Rail
  9. Cool, thanks for digging that up. Pretty close to what I was thinking.
    Thread StarterAdd SICKTIGHT311 to Rail
    Originally Posted by herdgolf86 View Post

Me and a buddy were just watching the Lakers/Heat and wondering how much like Stu Lantz and Joel Meyers get paid. I'm thinking it's gotta be at least 6 figures but definitely not a million. Somewhere in between. My best guess would be 200k-250k. Obv like John Madden and those kind of guys are probably making a milly+ but what about the regional sportscasters?

loooooooool, I doubt these guys are making anywhere as much as you assume. Journalism in general pays very little. If John Madden makes anywhere close to 7 figures it is because of sponsorship deals. The job has plenty of perks ... dealing with sports, being on TV, free food on trips, but I doubt the base salary is that great.

oh snap.
    Add mathclub to Rail
  11. i think you would would have to adjust the figures due to the region of the &quot;regional&quot; sports announcer. for instance, take 2 people with the same experience put 1 in an LA/NY type area and 1 in an OKC/Memphis type area and the pay would be better in the bigger market due to cost of living and things of that nature.
    Add IMALIVEFISH to Rail
  12. &quot;Bob Costas' contract has been extended until 2002...&quot; how old is that info?
    Add onepocketj to Rail
  13. Stu Lantz probably makes a lot more then the average regional broadcaster because he's been with the Lakers forever.
    Add Aznsportsnut to Rail
  14. this one might be a sort of close comparison mr tight. I know that the lead sports anchor guy for the NBC affiliate in seattle (studio sports guy on 5PM and 11PM local news etc ) and i saw his credit app at the car dealership i used to work at. salary = 225k

Add SaulGood to Rail
  15. bink
    Thread StarterAdd SICKTIGHT311 to Rail
    Originally Posted by herdgolf86 View Post

Looks like you were a little off considering Madden appears to make 6 million/year

Add WiCane to Rail
  17. well, how much do you think he makes off of his video game?! I'm sure its an obscene amount
    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
  18. I heard that Orel Hershiser makes $10 Million a year for doing Sunday night baseball

Add Kcannon to Rail
    Originally Posted by Kcannon View Post

I heard that Orel Hershiser makes $10 Million a year for doing Sunday night baseball

And his hellacious amounts of poker winnings!
    Add Decatur217 to Rail
  20. Gotta love when people are completely off base. LOL at considering Madden, Bradshaw, or any of those guys &quot;journalists.&quot;

Add BigGunX to Rail
    Originally Posted by onepocketj View Post

&quot;Bob Costas' contract has been extended until 2002...&quot; how old is that info?

LOL... I did one search and pasted the link. Didn't read the whole thing. Anyone else is welcome to look for more current info.
    Add skeeze666 to Rail