[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. This is insane. There must have been some related posts on this in the past but I searched Dyzalot's thread history and didn't see anything. Within the articles are links to other articles, fascinating stuff

Pentagon’s Project ‘Avatar’: Same as the Movie, but With Robots Instead of Aliens
    http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012...fi/#more-72695

According the agency, “the Avatar program will develop interfaces and algorithms to enable a soldier to effectively partner with a semi-autonomous bi-pedal machine and allow it to act as the soldier’s surrogate.”

These robots should be smart and agile enough to do the dirty work of war, Darpa notes. That includes the “room clearing, sentry control [and] combat casualty recovery.” And all at the bidding of their human partner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What kind of brains should these robots eventually have?

Monkey Brain Controls Walking ‘Bot
    http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2008/01/when-our-roboti

A few years back, FWK, a Duke neuroscientists, funded by the Pentagon, figured out how to have monkeys control robotic arms with their little simian minds. Now, if that wasn’t unnerving enough, the same Duke crew has discovered a way for one of the monkeys to make "a 200-pound, 5-foot humanoid robot walk on a treadmill using only her brain activity,"
  2. this is bad
  3. There is nothing wrong with the technology itself. The harm is in how it will be used. This kind of stuff coupled with the fact that drones are going to be allowed to be flown in US airspace is a chilling thought. Just imagine wars done "Ender's Game" style where no American military lives are put at risk. Makes it much harder to drum up indignation from an apathetic populace if only "they" are being killed. Imagine a day when the moment you leave your house to the moment you get back there will be drones with cameras flying overhead to report any illegal activity you might do while you are out. People laugh at comments like "Big Brother" and "Orwellian" but isn't that the direction we are going?
  4. agree with all of above

Pretty damn disturbing. Once a government can have robots patrolling our streets we can kiss any hope for freedom good bye.

Not to mention the social aspect. We will have finally accepted and legalized gay marriage. Then we will have to deal with people wanting to marry robots with monkey brains. It never ends!
    Edited By: Zeppelin Feb 17th, 2012 at 11:40 PM
  5. Will my robot come with a flesh light insert?
    Originally Posted by Donkey Kong View Post

this is badass

agrii!!
    Originally Posted by norcaljeff View Post

agrii!!

And the neocon chimes in...
    Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post

There is nothing wrong with the technology itself. The harm is in how it will be used. This kind of stuff coupled with the fact that drones are going to be allowed to be flown in US airspace is a chilling thought. Just imagine wars done "Ender's Game" style where no American military lives are put at risk. Makes it much harder to drum up indignation from an apathetic populace if only "they" are being killed. Imagine a day when the moment you leave your house to the moment you get back there will be drones with cameras flying overhead to report any illegal activity you might do while you are out. People laugh at comments like "Big Brother" and "Orwellian" but isn't that the direction we are going?

Animal rights group says drone shot down
  9. I remember when I was about 8 or 9 years old, I was playing with one of my r/c cars in the living room, and my dad was sitting near me on the couch reading the newspaper, and I looked at my dad and said "You know, it seems like this remote control stuff would be really useful in war. Like, if they made full size remote control jeeps or tanks or robots with guns attached to them, and cameras on them, and the soldiers just remote controlled them from super far away and fought the enemy like that, instead of being on the battlefield in person. Cuz, that way they could still shoot the enemy, but, without being physically there to get shot and killed when the enemy shoots back."

At the time that I was having this convo (it was around 1994 or 1995), I hadn't heard of things like "Predator Drones" (not sure if these even existed and/or were implemented yet, but even if they were, I wasn't aware of it at the time).

At first my dad just chuckled for a couple of seconds, thinking of it in terms of silly remote control toy cars like the one I was playing with. But then, after he stopped and actually thought about what I had just said, he started to frown and be in serious thought for a bit and said "You know, actually you're right. The more I think about it, the more I think this is actually exactly what is really going to happen, as far as the future of how ground-war will be fought in the relatively near future. I can't believe I never thought about this before, but you're actually totally right. At first it seems a little ridiculous, when you think in terms of how much more adaptable a person on-scene can be, and more dextrous and better reaction times, and ability to see and assess the situation with your eyes compared to just looking at it on a screen and operating bots remotely, but, you know... you're actually right. What they sacrifice in that regard will be far more than made up for by the enormous advantage of not having to worry about getting injured/killed when the enemy fires back at their remote-control-army, since they themselves will be physically far away and not on-scene, so, even if each individual remote-bot was only 1/10th as effective in terms of true fighting ability-practicality compared to a human on-scene, overall it would be a far superior method. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up actually happening. In your life time. Maybe even my own lifetime."

He actually ended up being so intrigued by my accidental idea that, in his sci-fi novel that he was writing at the time, he ended up making a whole section of the book be a war scene, and he asked if he could use my idea for it, and ended up having that exact scenario, of our Army being composed of remotely controlled armed vehicles and bots of various sorts being operated in exactly this manner, and this being the way war was fought, in the relatively near future.

And then, a few years later after I have that convo with my dad, remote controlled spy drone planes, followed soon after by remote controlled drone planes that have actual weapons and bomb shit with, and then now finally looks like the last part of the prediction will end up happening, with remote controlled actual ground forces etc. Such sick callaments obv lolz. ::pats self on back::

/bragpost
  10. i always wondered why they didnt have like a remote control type thing to drive ahead of convoys in areas with a high possibilty of ied's to try to detonate them before the people get there.

11. ^ I think everybody has had that conversation before bro. Their dads just werent cool enough to write a fucking book and include it in there.

Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post

And the neocon chimes in...

Dyz hates soldiers who kill people. Nothing to see here
    Originally Posted by stackinsideways View Post

^ I think everybody has had that conversation before bro. Their dads just werent cool enough to write a fucking book and include it in there.

Obviously I realize that tons of other people probably thought of/predicted that same exact idea before I did etc, I'm just saying, ever since I had that convo with my dad, I have been waiting expectantly for the day that this news story would finally end up actually happening, and this shit turning into reality, cuz I knew it was basically just a matter of time, and now it finally happened, so, it brings back that memory. Plus it was made more memorable than other predictions/ideas of this sort that I had that will eventually end up happening, since, out of all my ideas, this was the one that my dad took the most interest in/seemed the most sure would end up really happening, and made a big deal out of it, and then, so now that it seems like it's gonna be happening pretty soon, it's like, you know how it feels, it's just one of those "I fucking knew this would happen" type of moments. So it feels all weird/sick/etc.
  14. <3 bfactor but paragraphs mf
  15. DARPA is working this? Yeah I'm not worried about this tech reaching the battlefield ANY time soon
  16. The teenagers in this forum might see this before they die.
  17. In no way does this frighten me. The govt already has a massive edge on the population, if it ever has to overthrown, it will not be body count on their side that tips the scales. I think it will probably be a combination of body count on the civilian side and international intervention.

plus we could just get the guys at 4-chan to hack the robots

I guess the imperialist aspects are worrisome tho
    Originally Posted by Oh Rale View Post

The teenagers in this forum might see this before they die.

There will be a debate regarding whether robots should have rights in our lifetime.
  19. come on ya'll, relaaaaaax, a well-armed public can't be subdued by government machines..
  20. this is pretty fucking sick
  21. skynet ftw!

Originally Posted by McBain74 View Post

skynet ftw!

too late

The British military's Skynet 5A satellite has been launched into space from Kourou in French Guiana.
    Skynet 5A matches the capability of the best modern satellite platforms - on which the world depends for much of its telephone, TV, and internet traffic - but has been specially prepared for military use.

Edited By: TUGreenWave Feb 18th, 2012 at 05:06 PM