[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. So here is a good article about some hero's of the civil rights movement that need more credit

Blacks say atheists were unseen civil rights heroes

Think of the civil rights movement and chances are the image that comes to mind is of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. leading the 1963 March on Washington.

But few people think of A. Philip Randolph, a labor organizer who originated the idea of the march and was at King’s side as he made his famous “I Have a Dream” speech.

Why is King, a Christian, remembered by so many and Randolph, an atheist, by so few?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...lTR_story.html
    Edited By: jay_bear Feb 23rd, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    Add jay_bear to Rail
  2. in before racism
    Add Glo4m to Rail
  3. racism.
    Add STANGAA to Rail
  4. seems like a a religion post and not a race thing.....
    Add kiro15 to Rail
  5. Maybe because King gave the speech?
    Add Milo to Rail
  6. some hero's what?

also, pretty shocking no one remembers some dude that stood next to the really famous dude that gave the famous speech

Add norcaljeff to Rail
  7. I figured the point of the article to me is the impact of Atheist on some of the most important issues to face this country. I mean most of the founders of this country were not religious, but most of the major social decisions in this country is based on religious doctrine in one way or the other.

Also being a black atheist has to be hard in a community that is very religious.
    Thread StarterAdd jay_bear to Rail