[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. I'm getting toward the end of my options for employment these days, I have a college degree. I have a job interview coming up and if that falls through then I'm thinking of joining the Air Force. Hoping to talk to a recruiter sometime in the next week. I know there a lot of military guys in OT, what should I expect if I join? What does the recruiter gloss over or misrepresent? Pros/Cons?

Add time4badbeat to Rail
  2. Air Force is obv the easiest of the services, but that isnt a bash of the AF. They are also some of the most High Tech of the services.

So what you need to do is figure out what you want to do in the AF. You need to find out if you want to be an officer, since you already have a degree or do you want to suffer through the first 4 or 5 years before you make rank and get responisbility.

My suggestion would be to make a plan of what you want from the AF. 90% of the people who join the military do it for a degree. That is their reasoning. The other 10% just have nothing else to do and want an adventure.

As for the Pros.

-Shorter deployments, for the most part.
    -Bases are generally much nicer and offer a lot of extra MWR stuff. (Morale, Welfare and Recreation)
    -More High Tech Fields, for the most part.
    -Generally eaiser life than say the Marines.

Cons

Cant really think of any.

If you have more specific questions let me know. Im noit an AF expert but alot of stuff crosses from service to service.
    Add wantagolf to Rail
  3. Well first of all, try and talk to an Officer. They may not have any at your local recruiting office. If any schools around you have an JROTC program or any colleges have ROTC you could find one involved with those programs. You will want to commission, since you have a degree.

Your pay will be higher, but you may not get as much of the excitement depending on what job you choose.

If you join, expect to make friends for life, expect good benefits, expect a lot of bullshit, and expect the kind of job security that doesn't exist in the civilian world. You will get to travel and see a lot of cool places, and you will also get sent into the shithole of crapghanistan again, depending on your AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code).

If you have any specifics, pm me. I've been in 5 years.

Add RioMata to Rail
  4. Pros - plenty of work

Cons - plenty of dangerous work
    Add StupidFlanders to Rail
  5. My son was interested in the military right out of High school.........Had a retired air force general tell me why he should join the AF.....think about it's the only branch where the enlisted men send the officers off to die........
    Add drjay33 to Rail
  6. pros

benefits
    security
    travel
    vacation time

cons

pay
    military BS
    Edit: The PT program is getting a little tougher (dont laugh Marines), there are some people that are really having a hard time with it and might be forced to get out, if your waist is 40 inches or larger you might want to consider that because if it is things will be difficult for you your whole career.

I have been in for 8 years and unless i hit the lottery I wont be getting out. With a degree the option to be an officer is there (i am enlisted), though the only degrees that will get your there are technical degrees (engineering and such) finance and liberal arts wont cut it.

If you go to the enlisted side whatever you do DONT become a aircraft maintainer, the hours are long and they (supervision) treat you like garbage. I wouldnt suggest being a cop either from what I have heard from friends that currently have that job.

I have been stationed in Okinawa, Japan and currently in Italy for the past 5 years. the countries that i have been to includes: Israel, bulgaria, england, spain, germany, slovania, Japan, Korea, Phillipines, Turkey, Belgium, Amsterdam...that has just been for work, I have been all over europe with the family.

If you have a family it is one of the best routes you can go because the benefits are about as good as they get.

If you have any specific questions PM me and I would be happy to answer them, if I dont know it I can look into it for you.
    Add gravytrain1977 to Rail
    Originally Posted by drjay33 View Post

My son was interested in the military right out of High school.........Had a retired air force general tell me why he should join the AF.....think about it's the only branch where the enlisted men send the officers off to die........

Wtf are you talking about?

Add RioMata to Rail
  8. i suggest joining the Marine Corps. i like the band of brother hood, im actually somewhat considered normal amongst my peers in that gun club
    Add Sweetness777 to Rail
    Originally Posted by drjay33 View Post

My son was interested in the military right out of High school.........Had a retired air force general tell me why he should join the AF.....think about it's the only branch where the enlisted men send the officers off to die........

The Air Force (including Air National Guard and Reserves) comprises 21.5% of the total DOD force, and experienced 1.1% (40) of the total casualties.

Enlisted personnel make up 83.4% of the total force, and experienced 89.9% (4,212) of the total casualties. Officers (including Warrant Officers) comprise 16.6% of the DOD force and had 10.1% (471) of the casualties.
    Add wantagolf to Rail
  10. I have an Econ/Business Admin degree. My initial plan is to be in for one term (6yrs right?) and build a base to start my career from, obv. if I love it I'd go for 20 yrs. Ideally I would like a job either in finance or intelligence - a more analytical desk job.

The PT shouldn't be too big of a problem, I'm def. out of shape and hate running but I have a 34" waist and am 185lb/5'11" and could get ready for basic training in a few weeks.

Also, just got out my ASVAB scores from when I took it Junior yr of high school (are these still valid?) But I got a 96 on AA / 94 on VA / 95 on MA and a Military Careers score of 224. This should help me right?

Thread StarterAdd time4badbeat to Rail
  11. war
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
    Originally Posted by wantagolf View Post

As for the Pros.

-Shorter deployments, for the most part.
    -Bases are generally much nicer and offer a lot of extra MWR stuff. (Morale, Welfare and Recreation)
    -More High Tech Fields, for the most part.
    -Generally eaiser life than say the Marines.
    -Probably the least ammount of casualties or comparable to NAVY, in maymans terms you are most likely going to live.

Cons

Cant really think of any.

If you have more specific questions let me know. Im noit an AF expert but alot of stuff crosses from service to service.

Add buchiYAYO to Rail
    Originally Posted by RioMata View Post

Wtf are you talking about?

Officers are pilots
    Add buchiYAYO to Rail
  14. Pro- You can tell chicks you're a fighter pilot

Con- None *Edit. My dad was in the Air Force and he has nothing bad to say about his experience.
    Add Z-Fresh to Rail
    Originally Posted by Z-Fresh View Post

Pro- You can tell chicks you're a fighter pilot

Con- My dad was in the Air Force and he has nothing bad to say about his experience.

How is this a CON if he has nothing bad to say about it? Wouldnt that be a pro?
    Add wantagolf to Rail
    Originally Posted by wantagolf View Post

How is this a CON if he has nothing bad to say about it? Wouldnt that be a pro?

Sorry, I meant to say "NONE" followed by this sentence
    Add Z-Fresh to Rail
  17. My dad has a friend who is the retired Chief Master Sergeant of the Air force. Pretty sure there is only one of these at a time and he always used to say it was the best of all the branches. I was in the Army so I can only tell you what other people have told me. Everyone I know who was in the Air Force says it was one of the best choices they ever made.
    Add R_U_Nuts to Rail
  18. I looked into the AF as an aerospace medic, went down to MEPS, passed and ended up being DQ'd by the Surgeon General for a collapsed lung I suffered my 1st year of collage.

In any case, I just joined the Navy last Monday as an FMF Corpsman. I'm so excited/nervous to join this lifestyle but I couldn't be happier.

I think the benefits of the military dramatically outweigh the cons that are associated with serving. I think when all is said and done I will be a much better person than now. I look forward to serving my country, gaining leadership qualities, and learning some discipline.

As mentioned earlier, since you already have your degree, you should definitely look into the officer program. You'll deal with less of the BS, you'll get paid better, and you'll have a much better military career.

GL tho.
    Add Frictionless to Rail
    Originally Posted by Frictionless View Post

I just joined the Navy last Monday as an FMF Corpsman.

Awesome. Are you going to try and go to Pendelton when you graduate A school?
    Add wantagolf to Rail
  20. I sure as hell hope so. I'm from California so I'd love to stay West coast, but you know "needs of the Navy" etc. I actually went reserves because I'm half way done with a Bachelors, they offered $20k signing bonus, and it was the pretty much the only way I could get Corpsman the way things are over maned.

I'm thinking I'll try and finish my BSN and then try and apply for an officer package, but we'll see what happens.

Are you Navy? I think I may have talked to you previously when I was looking into the Navy?
    Add Frictionless to Rail
  21. Yeah, im in the Navy.
    Add wantagolf to Rail
  22. Seamen Recruit Frick respectfully requesting your rate? lol

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try and transfer reserve stations out to SD as soon as I finish all my schools. You know anything about FMF school? Am I going to be yelled at like the rest of the newbs or do I get some respect since I'll have already been through a decent amount of schooling?
    Add Frictionless to Rail
  23. ETC. Yes you will get the crap end of the stick. You will probally be aN E-3 by the time you get to your first duty station, cause of the length of your school. But being with the Marines you will have a bunch of junior guys also so it shouldnt be too bad.
    Add wantagolf to Rail
    Originally Posted by Frictionless View Post

I think when all is said and done I will be a much better person than now. I look forward to serving my country, gaining leadership qualities, and learning some discipline.

This is why I'm interested as well. I've gotten a little apathetic over the last couple years where I used to be pretty ambitious, I need to get back to that.

Thread StarterAdd time4badbeat to Rail
    Originally Posted by buchiYAYO View Post

-Probably the least ammount of casualties or comparable to NAVY, in maymans terms you are most likely going to live.

You know the Marine Corps is actually a branch of the Navy right? and they do also provide alot of "support" to the marine corps so you will meet a lot of Navy guys who only wear cammies and have almost never done anything Navy related (outside of basic training) and spend most there time in Marine Divisions going to sand box's and back.
    Add gotcha to Rail
  26. Im a FMF corpsman and was active in camp pendleton for a few years prior to moving out here so I can answer your questions frictionless if you got any.

*edit* to answer your question about FMF school, yeah EVERYONE gets treated like shit and screamed at there. You will even go through that school with higher ranking guys like E5's and you will see them getting punked just as hard. It's kind of like the marine corps way of putting you through a lot of the "training" they go through so your up to speed when you get to your command.
    Add gotcha to Rail
  27. Off we go...into the wild blue yonder....

lost again...son of a bitch.
    Add Mr Galt to Rail