[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. I spoke to him Wednesday, before work. We were laughing and joking, and giving each other a hard time. We spoke about the new Judge assigned to our court, and some of the changes we expected to see...

Ronald Napper went home wednesday night after work, and on Thursday morning his 5 year old daughter found him laying on the living room floor. He never made it to bed. The family rushed him to the hospital, where the doctors said he had a blood clot in his brain. After just 3 hours, he was was put on a trauma flight to MCV in Richmond (best hospital around). He declined steadily, and last night we were told he had already lost 75% of his brain activity. Ron was diagnosed as brain dead this morning, and pronounced dead shortly after. 72 hours after his daughter found him on the floor, he was dead.

Ron was a retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant, a police officer for years after that, and leaves behind a wife and 6 children. Ron was 46 years old.

It really hits home when it is somebody you've known for years, who you work with everyday and consider a friend. I'm glad we had a chance to talk and joke around the day before this tragic event. He was an honorable man, and touched many people. He is going to be sorely missed. I am at work now, and there is an empty feeling every time I look at the car he drove.

Its a sick reminder, but every now and then we get reminded of how quickly things can change. None of us had any clue this was coming, least of all Ron. He was extremely healthy, and pushed everybody to be their best. We are all on borrowed time, guys. Make every moment count when you're with your friends and the ones you love. This could be any one of us tomorrow.

Rest In Peace, Brother
  2. Sorry for your loss.

Thoughts and prayers to Ron's family.

RIP Ron.
  3. rest in peace Ron
  4. Sorry to hear, sad story.
  5. Well said. Sorry to hear. RIP Ron.

A brother of a friend last week dropped dead while on a jog from what turned out to be a heart attack from a clogged artery. He was 31.

Always sad when it's someone so young. 46 and 31 way too early.
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

Always sad when it's someone so young. 46 and 31 way too early.

Jesus - and I think that conservative commentator that died this week was in his 40s or something. 30 and 40 somethings are way, way too fucking young to be passing away. RIP
  7. Well written OneM..all very true.

Its good to know you will have the good memories.

I am sorry and RIP.
  8. Brutal man, way too young. RIP

My dad golfed with a guy who was super in shape, rode his bike like 10 miles per day, didn't smoke or drink....was in his late 30's or early 40's....same thing....was in the kitchen making food after golfing and just dropped dead from a heart attack.
  9. hate reading stories like that - way too young. sorry for the loss of your friend OneM
  10. That sucks so bad Onem. May he rest in peace.

I've been around death so much and I think about it all the time. I actually dictated my last wishes to the wife if I die. Let her know how to handle the financial stuff and who to call about insurance and all the other stuff.

You never know when you're gonna go. Few things that come to mind.

Covered a high school basketball team. Kid gets in the game and plays last coup,e minutes. They meet in the class room after the game for post game meeting. Kid falls out of his chair like a seizure. Coach knew he died right always because his bowels completely emptied out. Fifteen 17-18 years old watched a kid die of a brain aneurysm right in front of them.

Had a 27 year old coach in great shape holding his infant at home and had a heart attack and wife comes home and sees the baby laying on the floor next to him. He was dead.

43 year old female teacher last week goes to sleep next to her husband last week. Never wakes up.

Very very scary shit. Enjoy every day your alive and please plan ahead. You have no idea how much it will help your loved ones to not have to think about all these things should something happen.
  11. Sucks RIP,
    Think I have two friends left...
  12. wow, my age... very rough bro. My sincere condolences go out to his family and to you.
  13. RIP Ron

14. Sorry for your loss and the loss of a good family man who fought for our country and our streets. RIP
  15. RIP
    Sorry for your loss.
  16. sorry for your loss, rest easy brother. Semper Fidelis.
  17. RIP sad story

I lost my best friend growing up and that feeling of emptiness when they are gone is irreplaceable, its really hard but you move on. Be strong.

Sorry for your loss
  18. Thanks for the comments, everybody. I debated on whether I should post a thread about it...guess I made a good choice.

I'm going to miss him more than a lot of other guys. We worked together for years, and I knew him when we were both still in the military as well. He was my spotter, and right hand man, on the sniper team for SWAT. The next range is going to be tough without him on my left calling out targets.

Again, thanks for the comments.
  19. Sorry for your loss OneM =(
  20. Uggh, that is so brutal OneM, RIP.

Very nice post and perspective though.
  21. RIP Gunny. My condolences OneM.
  22. Sorry for your loss. Way too young. RIP.
  23. Sorry to hear that. Very sad. Scary to think that it could happen to you or anyone close to you at anytime.
    Can't take life for granted, ever.
  24. My condolences.

RIP
  25. I am so sorry.

I hope everyone will be okay.
  26. sad story im sorry for your loss R.I.P
  27. terrible tragedy, sorry man.

RIP
  28. RIP. Sorry for your loss.
  29. Terrible story OneM all the best and I send my condolences along to you and your fellow colleagues

Live everyday like it's your last and dont be afraid to tell your loved ones how you feel
  30. Thats awful sorry man.