[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. <H1 class=head _extended="true" itxtvisited="1">Wis. Couple Wins Lottery Four Times, Claims Formula</H1>
    Friday, August 22, 2008
    <SPAN id=intelliTXT _extended="true" itxtvisited="1">
    MADISON, Wis. — A woman and her accountant husband who claims he's developed a formula for lottery picks have each claimed $350,000 jackpots — twice.

Verlyn and Judith Adamson claimed two $350,000 jackpots on Monday because each held a winning ticket in the state SuperCash drawing last Saturday. They didn't mention at the time that they also held two more of the winning tickets.

They claimed those jackpots Thursday. All four were purchased at different locations, but with the same numbers and for the same drawing. Their winnings now amount to $1.4 million, or about $955,000 after taxes.

The Adamsons left a voice message on their phone saying they wouldn't have any public comment and referring any questions to their lawyer Scott Thompson.

Verlyn Adamson said earlier in the week that he's a big fan of math puzzles. He claims he developed a formula for lottery picks, but his winnings have been small until now.

Thompson said the Adamsons are &quot;exploring patent protection&quot; for the equation.

But Steven Post, a mathematics professor at Edgewood College in Madison, wasn't buying it. He said there is no way to devise a strategy for finding the winning numbers in a game that uses randomly generated numbers to determine the winning combination.
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript _extended="true"> /*<![CDATA[*/ var adsonar_placementId="1307847",adsonar_pid="144757" ,adsonar_ps="-1",adsonar_zw=190;adsonar_zh=200,adsonar_jv="ads.a dsonar.com"; qas_writeAd(); /*]]>*/ </SCRIPT>

The only strategy would be to &quot;buy all the tickets,&quot; he said.

Umm, Lolled
    </SPAN>
  2. Yea, I got a good laugh out of that one this morning. They run g00t, that is all.

3. i agree, there is NO way to beat a randomly generated number game

wait is this like a ball from a hopper lottery?

also dont google image search ron harris with safe search off
  4. Those are some great shots, and who says Keno is unbeatable?

5. SFOBV. I play megamillions every friday and haven't won once.
    Originally Posted by mason32 View Post

SFOBV. I play megamillions every friday and haven't won once.

Maybe you will do better if you stop picking all the wrong numbers
  7. what is the point of buying 4 tickets with all the same numbers?
  8. i believe in their lottery u just get 350k for each winning ticket.
  9. Aren't there only 72 million #'s possible? If I were some billionaire I would wait for some of these 150+ million $ jackpots, then go to the lotto office and buy every #. There's 10's of millions guaranteed from hitting a bunch of random scores, I think $3Million+ just from 1 # and the powerball. If my math is correct, which it probably isn't, but if it is the only way you don't at least break even is if you get quartered on a $120Million jackpot and only take home $30Million before taxes. If Gates wanted to make some low variance money he could find some $200Million+ mega-jackpots and buy all the numbers for a pretty decent ROI%.
  10. The logistics behind that man! I'm sure it's a very minus ev thing to do.
    Originally Posted by jtown1010 View Post

Aren't there only 72 million #'s possible? If I were some billionaire I would wait for some of these 150+ million $ jackpots, then go to the lotto office and buy every #. There's 10's of millions guaranteed from hitting a bunch of random scores, I think $3Million+ just from 1 # and the powerball. If my math is correct, which it probably isn't, but if it is the only way you don't at least break even is if you get quartered on a $120Million jackpot and only take home $30Million before taxes. If Gates wanted to make some low variance money he could find some $200Million+ mega-jackpots and buy all the numbers for a pretty decent ROI%.

had to lol at this. if u were a billionaire u would not waste ur time. and u would not be able to get 72 million tickets in one week let alone at one store. JUST LOL AT U SIR..L O L

Aren't there only 72 million #'s possible? If I were some billionaire I would wait for some of these 150+ million $ jackpots, then go to the lotto office and buy every #. There's 10's of millions guaranteed from hitting a bunch of random scores, I think $3Million+ just from 1 # and the powerball. If my math is correct, which it probably isn't, but if it is the only way you don't at least break even is if you get quartered on a $120Million jackpot and only take home $30Million before taxes. If Gates wanted to make some low variance money he could find some $200Million+ mega-jackpots and buy all the numbers for a pretty decent ROI%.

I didnt try to think about the math, but with taxes on winnings + the fact that i believe they pay you in monthly installments over like 25 years or something (subtracting the time value of money) you would not likely come out ahead. I could be wrong though ive never purchased a lottery ticket in my life, i am curious to know if there is a point where a lottery ticket is +EV, not that ev matters that much with a 1 in 72million shot because variance is retardedly sick.

Actually maybe you would come out ahead because you can win smaller amounts then the jackpot on some of the other tickets am i right? kinda weird to think about, but the logistics of buying 72Million tickets and keeping track of all of them and locating the winning ticket is pretty unrealistic regardless.

somewhere i have a spreadsheet from high school where i figured what the jackpot had to be in order to make that strategy profitable

i accounted for the possibility of splitting the jackpot 50/50 but not for the possibility of splitting it 3+ ways, nor for inflation/time-value of money (assuming you do the &quot;over 25 years&quot; thing). i think it was $200M+ for powerball
  14. There was an investment company that already tried to buy the entire block of possible numbers. the states running it said gtfo.

I used to know an old mail man who said he had a system. All these lottery chumps think they have one. He ended up winning the lotto lol, off an EZ pick.
  15. You are right, the lottery IS rigged...

<h1>Settle for Colorado Lottery leftovers? Not a chance</h1>

A Colorado Springs woman sues to stop the state from selling scratch-off tickets after the top prizes have already been won.
    By DeeDee Correll, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    August 10, 2008
    DENVER -- The only thing LaVonne Watkins buys at a convenience store these days is a cold soda on a hot day.

She doesn't touch the scratch-off instant lottery tickets, which she used to snap up weekly in the hope of winning $10,000. Watkins, 35, a home-care provider, stopped buying them years ago when she learned that she had purchased Luck of the Zodiac tickets two months after the top prizes were won -- meaning that while she forked over her money, her chance at the grand prize was zero.

&quot;I thought I was purchasing a fair chance to win,&quot; said the Colorado Springs woman, who is pursuing a lawsuit aimed at ending the lottery's practice.

Colorado is not the only state to face such a challenge in recent years. Indiana lottery officials recently ordered retailers to stop selling scratch-off tickets for games in which the top prizes already had been won -- a move that came shortly after a $20-million lawsuit against the lottery received class-action status.

Virginia last year changed its policy after a business professor sued the state lottery for $85 million, claiming he had been defrauded because he had no chance to win a top prize. Texas took similar measures after a state senator introduced a bill to end the practice.

Of the country's 42 state lotteries, about half continue to sell scratch-off tickets after the largest prizes are gone.

&quot;The issue is: How long do you leave a ticket in the marketplace, knowing there may not be a top prize left but loads and loads of lower-tier prizes?&quot; said David Gale, executive director of the North American Assn. of State and Provincial Lotteries, which doesn't take a position on the issue.

Massachusetts' answer to that question is: not at all. As soon as the top prizes are won, the State Lottery Commission ends the game and tells retailers to stop selling tickets.

&quot;This is the appropriate thing to do,&quot; said spokeswoman Lisa McDonald. After all, she said, people play for the chance to win the big money, and selling tickets when that chance is gone would be misleading.

When the issue arose in California in 2001, lottery officials responded by running a special $1-million lottery for people who had played instant-win games for which tickets were sold even though their top prizes had already been won.

The state now ends scratch-off games when the last top prize is awarded.

According to Colorado's lottery director, Jack A. Boehm, the state's policy is to close games immediately after the last top prize is claimed unless a &quot;significant number&quot; of second-tier prizes remain. Players do covet those prizes, he said.

&quot;A lot of players don't play it for the jackpot. They play for the intermediate prizes,&quot; he said. &quot;They get mad if we close a game too soon.&quot;

Colorado also continues games when there's a &quot;second-chance&quot; drawing in which players can enter their losing tickets to win a top prize, Boehm said. All of the lottery's games with top prizes of $250,000 or more include such drawings, he said.

Boehm noted that all scratch-off tickets include a disclaimer that the &quot;availability of prizes is subject to prior sales&quot; and that players can check the Internet to see if a game's top prizes already are gone before they buy a ticket. He said the lottery instructs retailers to post prize reports, and consumers also can ask a retailer for information if they don't see the report. &quot;I think the serious players pay attention to those things,&quot; Boehm said.

The lawsuit filed by Watkins stems from the purchase in Colorado Springs of several scratch-off tickets in 1998. After reading an article about the lottery, she decided to investigate how much of a chance she really had of winning. She and her lawyer filed a request for information with the state and found that the grand prizes had been awarded before she purchased her tickets, which promised the potential to win up to $10,000.

She decided to challenge the practice.

Watkins dismisses the state's assertion that players can check the lottery's website to determine whether top prizes remain. Most players would not know they needed to check such a thing, and not everyone has access to the Internet, she said. Lottery officials acknowledge that such information was not available through the lottery's website or from retailers at the time Watkins bought her tickets in 1998.

&quot;I really feel people are being cheated,&quot; Watkins said. &quot;When I get talking about the case, people are in agreement it's not right they're making thousands and thousands of dollars after the initial grand prize has been won.&quot;

Watkins' attorney, Rob Carey, rejects the argument that consumers aim for smaller prizes.

&quot;No one would play a game with zero grand prizes. Consumers do want to know which games are prize-rich,&quot; said Carey, who has filed similar lawsuits in Washington, Arizona and California.

None has succeeded, and the Colorado suit hit an obstacle this year when the state Supreme Court ruled that governmental immunity protects the Colorado Lottery from Watkins' claim.

However, the lawsuit -- for which Carey seeks class-action status -- will proceed against a co-defendant, Texaco Inc., whose retailers are said to have sold the tickets.

The ultimate goal, said Watkins, is to compel the lottery to change.

&quot;I want them to fix it. I want them to make it so an 85-year-old woman who goes in knows [what prizes are] available, so she has her fair chance,&quot; Watkins said. &quot;It needs to be fair to everyone who plays the game.&quot;
    Originally Posted by amak316 View Post

I didnt try to think about the math, but with taxes on winnings + the fact that i believe they pay you in monthly installments over like 25 years or something (subtracting the time value of money) you would not likely come out ahead. I could be wrong though ive never purchased a lottery ticket in my life, i am curious to know if there is a point where a lottery ticket is +EV, not that ev matters that much with a 1 in 72million shot because variance is retardedly sick.

Actually maybe you would come out ahead because you can win smaller amounts then the jackpot on some of the other tickets am i right? kinda weird to think about, but the logistics of buying 72Million tickets and keeping track of all of them and locating the winning ticket is pretty unrealistic regardless.

There wouldn't be any reason to waste all of that paper on actual tickets, you have every possible combo, in fact I would just walk in the main office with 72M cash, tell them I want every #, then start taking out M's for your guarranteed scores of $1-$250K, which if I remember correctly comes out to somewhere in the range of $30-40M, then I'd tell them I'll holla at em after the drawing for my jackpot. Obv I wouldn't hit up 30,000 gas stations for paper tickets.

The tax issue would need some consideration, I mean if you got a business liscense and stated filing as a pro-lotto playa would you have to pay on the 72M investment? Also getting the money over 25 years is just an option I think (at least it was when I was thinking about this 5ish years ago).
    Originally Posted by dpottz View Post

somewhere i have a spreadsheet from high school where i figured what the jackpot had to be in order to make that strategy profitable

i accounted for the possibility of splitting the jackpot 50/50 but not for the possibility of splitting it 3+ ways, nor for inflation/time-value of money (assuming you do the &quot;over 25 years&quot; thing). i think it was $200M+ for powerball

Its against the law and you cant just buy all the tickets. There was an investment group that did this in the early 90s for a 300M + jackpot and they bought every ticket and split the winnings. After that they made a law against it.
  18. Whoa somebody actually did this? SICK! Did they get taxed on the initial investment? I googled &quot;investment group buys every lotto ticket&quot; and it talked about a group from Virginia that actually bought every ticket by hand, and an &quot;Australian Syndicate&quot; that appearantly only use the #'s 8, 11, 13, 15, 19 and 20, and claim to &quot;yield a $1.3 Million prize a year for 20 years for the group&quot;.

I guess you could hire someone you trusted to get the tickets for you, like 50 people running around buying hundreds of tickets at dozens of gas stations daily might get you there, IDK how long filling out all those bubble things would take, but I would def hir like 50 college kids to do that for me.
  19. Cool idea. Patent the formula and put the lottery out of business. Also, for five bucks I'll let you have a look at the bigfoot carcass I found in my backyard last night.
  20. On the topic of the lotto, I once heard a story about a senile old lady who had already bought her lottery ticket, had a dream one night and was told to buy another ticket. The old hag went out and bought another ticket........WITH THE SAME NUMBERS. Fuckin bitch won the lottery, and got 2/3 of the prize pool because of her antics. What a lucky old fart.