[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. Most Marines and Soldiers don't like it when Marines are referred to as Soldiers.

But, actually, there is some dispute:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/soldier.html

2. interesting points.
  3. intruiging and thought provoking
  4. I agree.
  5. Also, if I were making a recruiting poster for the Marines, I'm not sure I would list "Congenial Employment" as one of the top three enticements.
  6. all Marines are soldiers, but not all soldiers are Marines amirite?
  7. Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, Airmen (in no particuliar order)

are the correct terms for the different branches
  8. nothing against other branches of services but we all are called our affectionate terms and as a Marine, soldier isnt one of them.
  9. AG what is the Army referred to when its derragotory? like we're Jarheads, Navy is Squids.. im not sure about the other two, although AF isnt even really worth mentioning
  10. <H1 class=firstHeading>Soldier</H1> <H3 id=siteSub>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</H3>
    Jump to: navigation, search
    <TABLE class=wikitable><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><SPAN>Common military ranks</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TH>Navies
    (English-speaking
    world)</TH><TH>Armies and
    some Air Forces</TH><TH>Air Forces
    (Commonwealth)</TH></TR><TR><TD>Admiral of the Fleet</TD><TD>Field Marshal</TD><TD>Marshal of the Air Force</TD></TR><TR><TD>Admiral</TD><TD>General</TD><TD>Air Chief Marshal</TD></TR><TR><TD>Vice Admiral</TD><TD>Lieutenant General</TD><TD>Air Marshal</TD></TR><TR><TD>Rear Admiral</TD><TD>Major General</TD><TD>Air Vice Marshal</TD></TR><TR><TD>Commodore</TD><TD>Brigadier</TD><TD>Air Commodore</TD></TR><TR><TD>Captain</TD><TD>Colonel</TD><TD>Group Captain</TD></TR><TR><TD>Commander</TD><TD>Lieutenant Colonel</TD><TD>Wing Commander</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lieutenant Commander</TD><TD>Major</TD><TD>Squadron Leader</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lieutenant</TD><TD>Captain</TD><TD>Flight Lieutenant</TD></TR><TR><TD>Sub-Lieutenant</TD><TD>Lieutenant</TD><TD>Flying Officer</TD></TR><TR><TD>Warrant Officer</TD><TD>Warrant Officer</TD><TD>Warrant Officer</TD></TR><TR><TD>Petty Officer</TD><TD>Sergeant</TD><TD>Sergeant</TD></TR><TR><TD>Leading Rate</TD><TD>Corporal</TD><TD>Corporal</TD></TR><TR><TD>Seaman</TD><TD>Private</TD><TD>Aircraftman</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> This article is about a military rank. For other uses, see Soldier (disambiguation).
    This article is about a military rank. For civilian and generic usage, see Armed forces.
    <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=ambox-image>
    </TD><TD class=ambox-text>This article needs additional citations for verification.
    [size="1"]Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (November 2007)[/size]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Modern (American) soldiers.

A soldier is a member of a nation's military. The word &quot;soldier&quot; specifically refers to members of the army who are without officer's commission. In most armies of the world, soldiers who are not officers can work their way through the ranks to obtain a commission. A soldier who no longer serves in the armed forces is often called a veteran, a term which can also apply to a long-serving or experienced soldier who is still in the army.

<H2><SPAN class=editsection>[edit]</SPAN> <SPAN class=mw-headline>Etymology</SPAN></H2>
    The word soldier is derived from an Old French word, itself a derivation of Solidarius, Latin for someone who served in the armed forces for pay, as opposed to warriors in tribal society where every grown man is automatically a member of his clan's fighting force. Solidare in Latin means &quot;to pay&quot;; Roman soldiers were paid in solidi, so-called because they were a new type of solid gold coin brought in after a reform of the Roman money system.

The common origin for the words soldier and payment survives not only in French (soldat and solde) but also in other languages, like German (Soldat and Sold), Spanish (soldado and sueldo), Portuguese (soldado and soldo), Dutch (soldaat and soldij), Italian (&quot;soldato&quot; and &quot;soldo&quot;), and many other languages. In the Russian language the world soldier is also &quot;??????&quot; (&quot;soldat&quot;), although it is not related to the Russian word for money. But in the same time, there are languages in which word soldier is derived from different word's root. For example Estonian &quot;sõdur&quot; is derived from word &quot;sõda,&quot; which means in Estonian &quot;war.&quot;
  11. Im sure there is some term.... Im not sure what it is tho

fell free to call me anything you like, as if I give a shit..........
  12. in that reference you still wouldnt ever refer to us as soldiers. You would and will never hear that echoed from any Marine. Troops is an acceptable reference as well
  13. we like to call enlisted woman Morale Boosters:)

Army Poontang is delish
  14. pm Sam Antix
  15. That is probably one of the worst wiki's I have ever seen in my life

which is why I dont use wiki
  16. 100% agree with sweetness

Calling him a soldier is about as stupid as calling me a marine, it would be disrepectful to both of us and we would probably kill you, cause we are trained to kill people. So please dont make that mistake

kthnx
  17. blasphemy!

wiki is the word of god
  18. Soldier is too generic a term to claim that marines aren't one.

<SPAN class=me minmax_bound="true">sol·dier</SPAN> <SPAN class=pronset minmax_bound="true"> <SPAN class=show_ipapr minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=prondelim minmax_bound="true">/</SPAN><SPAN class=pron minmax_bound="true">'so?ld??r</SPAN><SPAN class=prondelim minmax_bound="true">/</SPAN> <A class=pronlink onmouseover="status='Click for pronunciation key';return true;" title="Click for pronunciation key" onclick="pk = window.open('/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html', 'PronunciationKey','height=700,width=560,left=0,to p=0,resizable,scrollbars');if(pk){pk.focus();}" onmouseout="status='';return true;" minmax_bound="true">Pronunciation Key</A><SPAN class=pron_toggle minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=prondelim minmax_bound="true"> - </SPAN><A class=pronlink onmouseover="status='Click to toggle pronunciation';return true;" title="Click to show spelled pronunciation" onclick=javascript:show_sp() onmouseout="status='';return true;" minmax_bound="true">Show Spelled Pronunciation</A></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN class=show_spellpr minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=prondelim minmax_bound="true">[</SPAN><SPAN class=pron minmax_bound="true">sohl-jer</SPAN><SPAN class=prondelim minmax_bound="true">]</SPAN> <A class=pronlink onmouseover="status='Click for pronunciation key';return true;" title="Click for pronunciation key" onclick="pk = window.open('/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html', 'PronunciationKey','height=700,width=560,left=0,to p=0,resizable,scrollbars');if(pk){pk.focus();}" onmouseout="status='';return true;" minmax_bound="true">Pronunciation Key</A><SPAN class=pron_toggle minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=prondelim minmax_bound="true"> - </SPAN><A class=pronlink onmouseover="status='Click to toggle pronunciation';return true;" title="Click to show IPA pronunciation" onclick=javascript:show_ip() onmouseout="status='';return true;" minmax_bound="true">Show IPA Pronunciation</A></SPAN></SPAN> </SPAN> <SPAN class=pg minmax_bound="true">–noun </SPAN> <TABLE class=luna-Ent minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD class=dn vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">1.</TD><TD vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">a person who serves in an army; a person engaged in military service. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE class=luna-Ent minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD class=dn vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">2.</TD><TD vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">an enlisted man or woman, as distinguished from a commissioned officer: <SPAN class=ital-inline minmax_bound="true">the soldiers' mess and the officers' mess. </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE class=luna-Ent minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD class=dn vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">3.</TD><TD vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">a person of military skill or experience: <SPAN class=ital-inline minmax_bound="true">George Washington was a great soldier. </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE class=luna-Ent minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD class=dn vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">4.</TD><TD vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">a person who contends or serves in any cause: <SPAN class=ital-inline minmax_bound="true">a soldier of the Lord. </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE class=luna-Ent minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD class=dn vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">5.</TD><TD vAlign=top minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=varf minmax_bound="true">Also called <SPAN minmax_bound="true">button man.</SPAN> </SPAN><SPAN class=labset minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=ital-inline minmax_bound="true">Slang</SPAN>. </SPAN>a low-ranking member of a crime organization or syndicate. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE class=luna-Ent minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD class=dn vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">6.</TD><TD vAlign=top minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=labset minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=ital-inline minmax_bound="true">Entomology</SPAN>. </SPAN>a member of a caste of sexually underdeveloped female ants or termites specialized, as with powerful jaws, to defend the colony from invaders. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE class=luna-Ent minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD class=dn vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">7.</TD><TD vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">a brick laid vertically with the narrower long face out. <SPAN minmax_bound="true">Compare rowlock <SPAN class=dn minmax_bound="true">(def. 2)</SPAN>.</SPAN> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE class=luna-Ent minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD class=dn vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">8.</TD><TD vAlign=top minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=labset minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=ital-inline minmax_bound="true">Informal</SPAN>. </SPAN>a person who avoids work or pretends to work; loafer; malingerer. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SPAN class=pg minmax_bound="true">–verb (used without object) </SPAN> <TABLE class=luna-Ent minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD class=dn vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">9.</TD><TD vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">to act or serve as a soldier. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE class=luna-Ent minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD class=dn vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">10.</TD><TD vAlign=top minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=labset minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=ital-inline minmax_bound="true">Informal</SPAN>. </SPAN>to loaf while pretending to work; malinger: <SPAN class=ital-inline minmax_bound="true">He was soldiering on the job. </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SPAN class=sectionLabel minmax_bound="true">—Verb phrase</SPAN> <TABLE class=luna-Ent minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD class=dn vAlign=top minmax_bound="true">11.</TD><TD vAlign=top minmax_bound="true"><SPAN class=secondary-bf minmax_bound="true">soldier on, </SPAN>to persist steadfastly in one's work; persevere: <SPAN class=ital-inline minmax_bound="true">to soldier on until the work is done. </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  19. <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#eeeedd><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> </TD><TD>Re(2): Marines are not Soldiers
    by Sweetness777 on 3/4/2008 20:10 </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD bgColor=#ffffff></TD><TD colSpan=2><TABLE cellPadding=2 border=0 celspacing="0"><TBODY><TR><TD>AG what is the Army referred to when its derragotory? like we're Jarheads, Navy is Squids.. im not sure about the other two, although AF isnt even really worth mentioning </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Sweetness as being a member of the AF I say FUCK U!!!!!!!!!! All of us serve a purpose in one way or the other. I dont go around dissing marines!
  20. marines = my ass rides in navy equipment sir
  21. el oh fuckin el!
  22. Never Again Volunteer Yourself
  23. marines r heartless dog killers
  24. USAF OATH OF ENLISTMENT
    I, (State your name), swear to sign away 4 years of my life to the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE because I know I couldn't hack it in the Army, because the Marines frighten me and I am afraid of water over waist deep. I swear to sit behind a desk. I also swear not to do any form of real exercise, but promise to defend our bike-riding test as a valid form of exercise. I promise to walk around calling everyone by their first name because I find it amusing to annoy the other services. I will have a better quality of life than those around me and will, at all times, be sure to make them aware of that fact. After completion of "Basic Training" I will be a lean,mean, donut-eating, lazy-boy sitting, civilian-wearing-blue-clothes,Chair-borne Ranger. I will believe I am superior to all others and will make an effort to clean the knife before stabbing the next person in the back. I will annoy those around me, and will go home early every day.So Help Me God!
  25. Aint Ready to be a Marine Yet
  26. is the national guard only prevelant in small towns? heard an old marine once say.. "i'd rather be chicken shit in the backyard than chicken shit in the natl guard." also called them "weekend warriors". marines are fighting/killing machines......not soldiers