1. I was telling a conservative coworker, that Mitt Romney would be the best republican candidate to run against Obama. My coworker disagreed and said he would not win the nomination, because he is Mormon.<SPAN> </SPAN>I HIGHLY disagreed with this, IMO he is a very qualified candidate, and if he would have won the nomination instead of John McCain, it would have been a lot closer of an election. My coworker said it would not matter the religious right would not support him (not his exact words but basically what he said).

    Am I the only one to think that the president should be among the top intelligent and qualified individuals in the country, who cares about his religion? Mitt Romney graduated valedictorian, and He was a former CEO of a major company and Former Governor of Massachusetts. I am no way a fan of his but he is probably the most qualified GOPer I can think of, and to dismiss him based on his religion is stupid.

    I don’t mind a highly intelligent person running the country, whether it’s Democrat or Republican. (but I prefer a Dem )
    Add jay_bear to Rail
  2. romney won't win. romneycare ftl
    Add norcaljeff to Rail
  3. Mitt Romney will not win over many conservatives due to his liberal track record as gov.
    Add dodgingjets to Rail
  4. i donno why exactly i dont like him, but i dont. It might have something to do with those reports that his camp was trying to sabotage palin out of spite... but that might not be the reason either.
    Add playwithfire05 to Rail
  5.  
    Originally Posted by dodgingjets View Post

    Mitt Romney will not win over many conservatives due to his liberal track record as gov.

    Well that’s a better argument then his religion.
    Thread StarterAdd jay_bear to Rail
  6. Jay Bear - why is your font so weird??? where are you posting from? it makes it look like you copy /paste everything.
    Add saxman to Rail
  7. pm leftymark
    Add fcdunkin to Rail
  8.  
    Originally Posted by jay_bear View Post

    My coworker disagreed and said he would not win the nomination, because he is Mormon.

     
    Originally Posted by jay_bear View Post

    IMO he is a very qualified candidate, and if he would have won the nomination instead of John McCain, it would have been a lot closer of an election.

    These are not contradictory ideas.
    Add Lord Supremo to Rail
  9.  
    Originally Posted by jay_bear View Post

    he is a very qualified candidate, and if he would have won the nomination instead of John McCain, it would have been a lot closer of an election.

    i agree, but i also think that if mccain hadnt chosen palin it wouldve made the election closer as well.
    Add AUSteweyOX to Rail
  10.  
    Originally Posted by Lord Supremo View Post

    These are not contradictory ideas.

    Sums it up.
    Add Underdog to Rail
  11. I think this is false. I believe that the religious right will still vote for him because he'll be the more conservative candidate and the &quot;lesser of two evils&quot;. They may not like it, but they would do it. Just my take. I don't like Mitt Romney, btw. But it has nothing to do with his religion, which is a stupid reason not to vote for someone. I think he comes across as a stiff, pompous ass.
    1
    Add ECUgirl to Rail
  12. I would much prefer to vote for a private sector business guy than a politician. He was head of Bain Consulting and the skills from that would translate well into running a government.

    I just can't stand Republican fear mongering and social conservatives
     
    Add Leet8s to Rail
  13.  
    Originally Posted by fcdunkin View Post

    pm leftymark

    I absolutely love Mitt Romney. Everything he touches turns to gold. People rip him for the healthcare in MA but he tried to do something that was good and groundbreaking. The only problem was this state is totally run by corrupt Dems who have their dirty hands in everything making this MA having some of the most expensive healthcare in the country. Thanks guys.
    Add LeftyMark to Rail
  14.  
    Originally Posted by Lord Supremo View Post

    These are not contradictory ideas.

    OOOOH!!!!!
    Thread StarterAdd jay_bear to Rail
  15.  
    Originally Posted by ecugirl93 View Post

    I think he comes across as a stiff, pompous ass.

    I feel the same way, maybe it's the tan.
    Add ginwilly to Rail
  16. I agree Romney would be... Mike Huckabee is the reason why Obama is in office. He only continued to run his campaign because he wanted to split votes to keep a Morman out of the White House. My opinion anyway.
    Add Saintsfan1 to Rail
  17.  
    Originally Posted by Saintsfan1 View Post

    I agree Romney would be... Mike Huckabee is the reason why Obama is in office. He only continued to run his campaign because he wanted to split votes to keep a Morman out of the White House. My opinion anyway.

    McCain would have still beaten Romney. But yeah, it would have been closer though.
    Add Underdog to Rail
  18.  
    Originally Posted by Saintsfan1 View Post

    I agree Romney would be... Mike Huckabee is the reason why Obama is in office. He only continued to run his campaign because he wanted to split votes to keep a Morman out of the White House. My opinion anyway.

    Really? never heard that opinion before, interesting.
    Thread StarterAdd jay_bear to Rail
  19. never heard that opinion either but it is interesting. It also describes the religious zealot aspect of the right wing, so could be.
    Add ginwilly to Rail
  20. Who do the conservative think the top runner will be? Please tell me not Palin. Bobby G ruined his chances last year already..and I honestly think Romney will be the front runner for '12. just my opinion though.
    Add samhall to Rail
  21.  
    Originally Posted by jay_bear View Post

     
    Originally Posted by Saintsfan1 View Post

    I agree Romney would be... Mike Huckabee is the reason why Obama is in office. He only continued to run his campaign because he wanted to split votes to keep a Morman out of the White House. My opinion anyway.

    Really? never heard that opinion before, interesting.

    Seriously? I blame Mike Huckabee 100% for Romney not winning. I almost said it in my post earlier in this thread but I figued I wouldn't bother. At the time I was going nuts because there was no way Huckabee could win and he was clearly drawing votes away from Romney. I can't even watch his show he pissed me off so much.
    Add LeftyMark to Rail
  22.  
    Originally Posted by LeftyMark View Post

    Seriously? I blame Mike Huckabee 100% for Romney not winning. I almost said it in my post earlier in this thread but I figued I wouldn't bother. At the time I was going nuts because there was no way Huckabee could win and he was clearly drawing votes away from Romney. I can't even watch his show he pissed me off so much.

    Actually, now that I remember it better, you're right. Huckabee won Iowa and McCain was always a lock for New Hampshire, which meant Mitt was starting 0-for-2, which killed him. Without Huckabee in the race to give the anti-Mormon evangelicals someone to rally around, they would have held their nose and probably picked either McCain or Romney. If Romney gets even half, he probably wins the whole thing. Then again, maybe they would have rallied around Fred Thompson instead.

    I still think Obama defeats Romney though. Anti Republicanism was just a huge force in 2008.
    Add Underdog to Rail
  23. I still think Jindal is a rockstar but that retort of his was gawdawful. Well actually his presentation was the awful part, his message was spot on, shame his delivery distracted from that. He's out of the picture for 12, but he still has a bright future down the road.

    My pick is for someone to come out of nowhere that is going into senate/congress this year we don't know yet. I'm still holding out hope for Rand Paul or another Ron Paul disciple.
    Add ginwilly to Rail
  24. Romney is the favorite to win the GOP nomination. The GOP has a history of nominating someone for President who lost a previous Republican primary. Reagan, Bush, Dole, and McCain all lost a GOP primary (or two) before winning the nomination. The only exception in the last 30 years is W. Bush, who had the name recognition due to his father.

    The wars are becoming less of an issue, and the economy is going to be at the forefront. I think Romney can cast himself as the person best equipped from either party to fix a federal government that constantly wastes money.

    Further, polls showed in the last primary that McCain's age was a bigger impediment than Romney's religion. IIRC, in descending order, the biggest discriminatory factors last election were McCain's age, Romney's religion, Clinton's gender, and finally Obama's race.
     1
    Add Pghfan987 to Rail
  25.  
    Originally Posted by ginwilly View Post

    I still think Jindal is a rockstar but that retort of his was gawdawful. Well actually his presentation was the awful part, his message was spot on, shame his delivery distracted from that. He's out of the picture for 12, but he still has a bright future down the road.

    My pick is for someone to come out of nowhere that is going into senate/congress this year we don't know yet. I'm still holding out hope for Rand Paul or another Ron Paul disciple.

    Add Saintsfan1 to Rail
  26.  
    Originally Posted by ginwilly View Post


    I still think Jindal is a rockstar but that retort of his was gawdawful. Well actually his presentation was the awful part, his message was spot on, shame his delivery distracted from that.

    C'mon dude. His overall message wasn't too bad, but the examples he used were horrible. He made fun of volcano monitoring in the stimulus like it was some sort of government boondoggle, and then a couple of weeks later there was an eruption that was predicted due to government-funded volcano monitoring.
    Add Underdog to Rail
  27. I know democrats heads are gonna explode when I say this but I get a feeling that Newt Gingrich is gonna end up the Republican front runner for 2012. I would hope it is Romney but I get a feeling it will be Gingrich. I doubt he would beat Obama because he was always such a divisive and aggressive figure while he was in office.
    Add D2theRock to Rail
  28. so what your saying is that measures were in place that worked and he made fun of spending even more money on something that worked already is bad?
    Add ginwilly to Rail
  29.  
    Originally Posted by Underdog34 View Post

    I still think Obama defeats Romney though. Anti Republicanism was just a huge force in 2008.

    <SPAN>Do you think Romney would be dumb enough to say the economy was good or pick Sarah Barracuda as his running mate?</SPAN>
    Thread StarterAdd jay_bear to Rail
  30.  
    Originally Posted by D2theRock View Post


    I know democrats heads are gonna explode when I say this but I get a feeling that Newt Gingrich is gonna end up the Republican front runner for 2012. I would hope it is Romney but I get a feeling it will be Gingrich. I doubt he would beat Obama because he was always such a divisive and aggressive figure while he was in office.

    This was my early prediction as well...parties tend to like elder statesmen-types against sitting presidents and save their fresh faces for when there's no incumbent

    edit: I should say I think Romney is more likely at this stage of the game, although his support is really thin and could move to someone else very quickly (as it did last time)
    Add Lord Supremo to Rail

Similar Threads