Originally Posted by krs33 View Post

In 2005, Baseball America had the Rays as having the 9th best farm system. The A's will need a big stroke of luck to have their prospects pan out like the Rays' did, but again, automatically writing them off is just stupid. I think there's a better chance of them being in contention than not.

Bolded part is my point. If they need big stroke of luck how is there pretty good chance? Seems to me there is a small chance, if the stars align perfect like it did for the Rays. And I dont no why you keep claiming I automatically wrote them off, I never said that.

According to this:
    http://topprospectalert.com/2012/01/...pect-rankings/

Oakland has prospect #25 #48 # 55 #57 #61 and #91. Nothing from that screams breaking down the big league doors any time soon. That year in 05 the rays had 3 prospects inside the top 20 and two inside the top 10 according to Baseball America

And for shits and giggles to show you how unreliable baseball prospects are--Staying with that 2005 baseball america top 100 only 50% of the top 10 went on to have sustained success in the bigs. 40% of #11-20. 50% of #21-30. 0% of #31-40. and 20% of 41-50.
    Edited By: dominant00 Feb 14th, 2012 at 06:50 AM

Add dominant00 to Rail
  2. signing makes no sense when you are about to be fielding a team with a 40 mil payroll in this division, seems like a risk signing a guy with no USA pro experience for literally 1/4 of your payroll if youre just "flipping him for prospects" thats quite a lot for a team whose payroll will probably remain under 50 milly for the life of his contract to be on the hook for if he isnt the shit

Add SaulGood to Rail
  3. Looks like Padres are on the verge of a huge TV deal. If this goes thru Padres might be able to afford a couple real starters. Also looks like the Ducks will be winter programming.

The Padres will receive a rights fee worth $30 million in the first year of their new 20-year television deal with Fox Sports, a source familiar with the contract said Tuesday.

The new deal is still pending approval from Major League Baseball, although as the source said, "I don't see how the Padres are not on Fox Sports San Diego come Opening Day, whether there's a fully executed agreement or an interim agreement to bridge the gap."

Opening Day is April 5, although the new network is believed to be planning a handful of spring training telecasts beginning March 17.

USA Today reported last week that the Padres could average about $75 million a year over the length of their deal with Fox.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...uld-reach-40m/
    Add wantagolf to Rail
    Originally Posted by wantagolf View Post

USA Today reported last week that the Padres could average about $75 million a year over the length of their deal with Fox.

so when they take Lackey off our hands we won't have to eat as much of his salary?
    Add JKoblyn to Rail
  5. Yeah but in Petco he would be an 18 game winner with a 2.6 ERA. haha
    Add wantagolf to Rail
  6. Ramon Ortiz signs a minor league deal with the Giants. Lock up the nl west.
    Thread StarterAdd ScottBrewr99 to Rail
    Originally Posted by dominant00 View Post

Bolded part is my point. If they need big stroke of luck how is there pretty good chance? Seems to me there is a small chance, if the stars align perfect like it did for the Rays. And I dont no why you keep claiming I automatically wrote them off, I never said that.

According to this:
    http://topprospectalert.com/2012/01/...pect-rankings/

Oakland has prospect #25 #48 # 55 #57 #61 and #91. Nothing from that screams breaking down the big league doors any time soon. That year in 05 the rays had 3 prospects inside the top 20 and two inside the top 10 according to Baseball America

And for shits and giggles to show you how unreliable baseball prospects are--Staying with that 2005 baseball america top 100 only 50% of the top 10 went on to have sustained success in the bigs. 40% of #11-20. 50% of #21-30. 0% of #31-40. and 20% of 41-50.

Not to be a stickler or anything, but for one, if you look at 2006 Top 100 prospects, Matt Kemp is 96, Ryan Braun is in the 40s, Ethier in the 80s. So take those rankings for what it's worth, but looking over names from 05 and 06, there are a ton of good major league players. Just because they aren't superstars doesn't make them let downs as prospects.

Second, you say 0% of 31-40 went on to have sustained success, yet there is Erick Aybar who has two 4+ WAR years and he is still only 28. So even now, there is room for prospects from 2005 to make a name for themselves. But don't be mistaken, you can make a monster team picking players almost blindly off that list of 100 prospects in 2005.

Also, even by your standards, 32% of the top 50 prospects have had sustained careers. That's a pretty insanely high percentage
    Add slaps825 to Rail
  8. AJ Burnett is now on the Pirates, with the Pirates picking up $13 million of the $33 million that he is owed over the next 2 years. The Pirates traded away two very marginal prospects, one who is a reliever with decent stuff (but as a reliever his ceiling is much lower) and a Latin outfielder who I don't think was a top 10 OFer in our farm system. I absolutely love this deal from the Pirates' perspective. Moving Burnett from the media spotlight and Little League field in New York to the NL Central could benefit him greatly, and our investment is pretty minimal. While the Pirates should still be improving over the next 4 seasons, this year should be the year the Pirates break .500 because the division is so weak. It will be tough to beat the Reds for the playoff spot, but the stretch of futility should end this season.
    Add Pghfan987 to Rail
  9. I think it's a good deal for you guys. I'm surprised you had to take $13M though, in earlier talks they were saying that the max would be $10M. I just hope that his ego isn't so burned that it doesn't affect him to the point where he plays even worse.
    Add AnonymousX to Rail
  10. good move for both

glad to get rid of AJ fucknutt, and good luck getting anything out of him. LOL at him giving a fuck about pitching for the pirates he didn't even care about being a yankee
    Edited By: AMARTIN1181 Feb 18th, 2012 at 05:17 AM
    Add AMARTIN1181 to Rail
  11. agreed, though even cutting him would have been a good move for the yanks haha.
    Add AnonymousX to Rail
    Originally Posted by tsxxx04 View Post

I think it's a good deal for you guys. I'm surprised you had to take $13M though, in earlier talks they were saying that the max would be $10M. I just hope that his ego isn't so burned that it doesn't affect him to the point where he plays even worse.

I think the $10 million number was floating around when the Yankees wanted Garrett Jones, or some prospect with actual value. When the Pirates refused to give the Yankees anyone good (and I think Jones would hit well in Yankee Stadium, and makes a lot of sense as the DH against right-handed pitchers), the price went up. AFAIK.

Here's a pretty good article that sums up my thoughts about this trade: http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/2/17/28...-yankees-trade
    Edited By: Pghfan987 Feb 18th, 2012 at 05:43 AM
    Add Pghfan987 to Rail
  13. +1.3 difference between his ERA and xFIP last year. Career ERA is 2/3 of a run less in the NL. At 6.5mm/year he should be very reasonably priced. Yankees win too since they unloaded as much of the contract as they did.

I'll bet the Red Sox are rooting for Burnett to rebound this year. Maybe then they can actually convince an NL team to give some money back for Lackey.
    Add Mkind16 to Rail
  14. D E T R O I T. T I G E R S. B A S E B A L L.
    Add bluefront to Rail
    Originally Posted by Pghfan987 View Post

AJ Burnett is now on the Pirates, with the Pirates picking up $13 million of the $33 million that he is owed over the next 2 years. The Pirates traded away two very marginal prospects, one who is a reliever with decent stuff (but as a reliever his ceiling is much lower) and a Latin outfielder who I don't think was a top 10 OFer in our farm system. I absolutely love this deal from the Pirates' perspective. Moving Burnett from the media spotlight and Little League field in New York to the NL Central could benefit him greatly, and our investment is pretty minimal. While the Pirates should still be improving over the next 4 seasons, this year should be the year the Pirates break .500 because the division is so weak. It will be tough to beat the Reds for the playoff spot, but the stretch of futility should end this season.

At 2/$13m I'm shocked more teams weren't interested. Love the move for Pittsburgh.
    Add krs33 to Rail
  16. im just happy i dont have to look at his fucking face anymore. Also im pretty sure the yankees traded him to pitt for a reason, a nice little fuck you and he won't come back to haunt them with an al team.

I agree tho, he has some value, especially in the nl and eats innings. 2 y 13m is a good ass deal for pitt any way u cut it.
    Add AMARTIN1181 to Rail

Moving Burnett from the media spotlight and Little League field in New York to the NL Central could benefit him greatly

During the 3 years he 'pitched' here, he was significantly worse on the road. If you're banking on a comeback due to not pitching in the dimensions of Yankee Stadium, I'm afraid you are in for one rude awakening.
    Add kellykip to Rail
    Originally Posted by krs33 View Post

At 2/$13m I'm shocked more teams weren't interested. Love the move for Pittsburgh.

well he is terrible

Add R_Webb18 to Rail
    Originally Posted by kellykip View Post

During the 3 years he 'pitched' here, he was significantly worse on the road. If you're banking on a comeback due to not pitching in the dimensions of Yankee Stadium, I'm afraid you are in for one rude awakening.

Actually righties hit Burnett much harder than lefties do, so he wasn't hurt as badly in Yankee Stadium, but was roughed up at places like Fenway. PNC Park is very difficult to hit homers to left field except for straight down the line. He is a flyball pitcher and the Pirates have perhaps the rangiest outfield defense in baseball, so the defense/ ballpark are a perfect fit for him.
    Add Pghfan987 to Rail

this year should be the year the Pirates break .500

Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
  21. i felt bad looking at NL MVP votes and seeing andrew mccutchen not receive a single vote. pghfan made it seem like he was the winner midseason or so. dude didnt even get a vote :(
    Add bluefront to Rail
  22. The reason he gets hit has nothing to do with the park, pgh. He literally throws fast balls right down the motherfucking plate on pitchers counts and goes from 0-2 to 3-2 better than anyone in the game. He has the mental stability of bfactor on the mound.
    Add AMARTIN1181 to Rail
    Originally Posted by bluefront View Post

i felt bad looking at NL MVP votes and seeing andrew mccutchen not receive a single vote. pghfan made it seem like he was the winner midseason or so. dude didnt even get a vote :(

In fairness Cutch did decline at the end of last season, and the Pirates collapsed. But at one point last June Cutch was leading the NL in WAR and the Pirates were around 1st place, so the idea was certainly reasonable at the time.

Waco is in over his head in baseball threads so I doubt I care about his GIFs.
    Add Pghfan987 to Rail
  24. sick insult bro, seems like you care.

everything you post is always soooo spot on, teach me your ways.

clown. have another drink
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
    Originally Posted by AMARTIN1181 View Post

The reason he gets hit has nothing to do with the park, pgh. He literally throws fast balls right down the motherfucking plate on pitchers counts and goes from 0-2 to 3-2 better than anyone in the game. He has the mental stability of bfactor on the mound.

I'm not acting like going from Yankee Stadium to PNC Park will make him a Cy Young candidate. What I am saying is that virtually every factor that is changing for Burnett this season should help him: perfect ballpark to make his weaknesses not as glaring, superb outfield defense, very easy opposing lineups, less pressure.

Originally Posted by TheWacoKidd View Post

sick insult bro, seems like you care.

everything you post is always soooo spot on, teach me your ways.

clown. have another drink

I'm not drinking tonight. Been cutting way back, actually.
    Add Pghfan987 to Rail

Waco is in over his head in baseball threads so I doubt I care about his GIFs.

lol that was actually really well played
    Add AMARTIN1181 to Rail
  27. PGH...it's great that the Pirates are going in the right direction, but you realize your rotation is still a 5-man combo of these 6, right?

Erik Bedard
    AJ Burnett
    James McDonald
    Kevin Correia
    Jeff Karstens
    Charlie Morton

And as well as you played in the first half last year, it's not like you even ended close to .500. You weren't 79-83 or something...you were 72-90. Just sayin...
    Add JRoth15 to Rail

I'm not acting like going from Yankee Stadium to PNC Park will make him a Cy Young candidate. What I am saying is that virtually every factor that is changing for Burnett this season should help him: perfect ballpark to make his weaknesses not as glaring, superb outfield defense, very easy opposing lineups, less pressure.

oh for sure, i think he'll be decent in theory. He might also have a 9 era and be released come may or june of 2014. SICKest thing about burnett is it wouldn't shock me if he actually was serviceable. It's not a question of his arm/talent.

Pirates could actually make some noise. Worst division in baseball, young batters, withered pitchers, ANYTHING'S POSSSSSSSSIBLE.
    Edited By: AMARTIN1181 Feb 18th, 2012 at 08:07 AM
    Add AMARTIN1181 to Rail
    Originally Posted by JRoth15 View Post

PGH...it's great that the Pirates are going in the right direction, but you realize your rotation is still a 5-man combo of these 6, right?

Erik Bedard
    AJ Burnett
    James McDonald
    Kevin Correia
    Jeff Karstens
    Charlie Morton

And as well as you played in the first half last year, it's not like you even ended close to .500. You weren't 79-83 or something...you were 72-90. Just sayin...

I understand your point, but I think that barring a lot of injuries to key players, the Pirates will only get better this year (given the age of their core players and Bedard + Burnett > Maholm) and the division got A LOT weaker.
    Add Pghfan987 to Rail
  30. Yah I just don't know.

Reds/Cards seem to be pretty clear-cut 1/2 to me. Still think Brewers go 3rd with their pitching.

Love McCutchen, but after that, it's kinda meh. Alvarez may never figure it out (30.5 K% WTF??)...Tabata definitely has shown signs...Walker will be a good avg/OBP guy. Just not a ton of pop up and down.

And Bedard seems like damaged goods...will be fine when healthy. But who knows how long that is.

Guess we'll see...
    Edited By: JRoth15 Feb 18th, 2012 at 08:22 AM
    Add JRoth15 to Rail