[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

Originally Posted by RhoNin View Post

just browsed through some pages, but i think the ratio of information on working out and your diet is wrong here. diet should be discussed way more as it actually matters a little more too

If you want to gain weight do the complex lifts mentioned here and eat more than 2500 calories a day, if you want to lose weight do the complex lifts mentioned here and eat less than 2500 calories. Diet taken care of.
    Add Admiral to Rail
    Originally Posted by Admiral View Post

If you want to gain weight do the complex lifts mentioned here and eat more than 2500 calories a day, if you want to lose weight do the complex lifts mentioned here and eat less than 2500 calories. Diet taken care of.

Yeah but theres always details I'm interested in. Like last week I tried "Cevapi" - a meal that comes from South-Eastern Europe - and I loved it. It has zero carbs and is just fat and (lots of) protein. Made me love it even more.

Add RhoNin to Rail
  3. Kinda random and love this thread; can anyone post what casien protein product I should be taking in the evening?
    Edited By: Mr323 Feb 9th, 2012 at 04:15 AM
    Add Mr323 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Hank H1LL View Post

they're really tight and they restrict the downward motion, so you get the most upward help at the bottom of the lift and the least help at the lockout, so basically yea they help you lift more. they also help prevent injury just like the old lifting belt. they're usually a giant bitch to get on if you have them fitted right, like often 2-3 guys/20 minutes kind of a bitch.

if you aren't in a powerlifting competition there isn't much point. training too much in gear will only make you weaker without it (especially at the bottom of a squat/bench movement). I never use anything until 2-3 weeks out from a meet but lots of guys will train in their shit year-round, a lot of that because their body wouldn't allow them to without it.

it's a fine line as far as adding layers of equipment. every organization has their own rules on what's allowed and there's a lot of ego in where you compete... it all just turns into a dick measuring contest once you start messing with gear. the same guy can squat 500 lbs in a belt and 700-800 lbs in a tuned-up squat suit, briefs, wraps, etc. deadlift is the one lift that doesn't change much with the addition of gear so it usually gets more respect when you compare it across organizations.

check out Inzer gear for examples. they're either the biggest or the 2nd biggest brand name.

Agreed.

Using a bench shirt or squat suit is an entirely separate lift from raw bench and squat respectively. You actually have to learn how to use a bench shirt and squat suit. For anyone training in a gym with no desire to compete in a geared competition these pieces of equipment are waste of money.
    Add kidCRUNK to Rail
  5. Will be eating completely clean for the next 21 days. Whole foods only, and no fruit after breakfast. Basically just vegetables, meat and coconut/olive/sesame oil. No corn, potatoes or bananas. Doing a detox diet that is also great for fat loss. Since I quit smoking, figured this might help me get rid of some lingering toxins in addition to looking better.

Have built up some muscle; this should help me see it. Expect to drop 15-25 lbs of fat in three weeks.
    Add El Burro to Rail
  6. I play basketball about 3x a week after workouts. I normally take my post workout right after I workout and then I go play bball. I normally play for an hour up to 3hrs (5v5). Should I be taking something after I play bball also (protein etc)? Im trying to gain weight fwiw.

I also eat a meal about 30min after basketball on those days.
    Add Garrr to Rail
  7. I take 3 3x a day. just morning, afternoon and night. sometimes more or less but it's not that important if you forget it once in a while, but you'll notice if you stop.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  8. that chili recipe sounds bomb...i'm so fucking lazy with food here, just get chicken breast from the turkish place down the street all the time. leaking hella $...gonna try to go to the grocery store tomorrow and get un-lazy but we'll see
    Add FenwayKing to Rail
    Originally Posted by Mr323 View Post

Kinda random and love this thread; can anyone post what casien protein product I should be taking in the evening?

Optimum Nutrition

Originally Posted by El Burro View Post

Will be eating completely clean for the next 21 days. Whole foods only, and no fruit after breakfast. Basically just vegetables, meat and coconut/olive/sesame oil. No corn, potatoes or bananas. Doing a detox diet that is also great for fat loss. Since I quit smoking, figured this might help me get rid of some lingering toxins in addition to looking better.

Have built up some muscle; this should help me see it. Expect to drop 15-25 lbs of fat in three weeks.

Link to an outline of this detox diet? I would love to do it as well.

Originally Posted by Garrr View Post

I play basketball about 3x a week after workouts. I normally take my post workout right after I workout and then I go play bball. I normally play for an hour up to 3hrs (5v5). Should I be taking something after I play bball also (protein etc)? Im trying to gain weight fwiw.

I also eat a meal about 30min after basketball on those days.

I play basketball after working out almost every day. I have a shake after my workout and then play BB. When I get home I then eat a real meal.

What supps is everyone taking? When and how much?
    This is my outline.

When I wake up- 1000mg NOW Vit C, 1 oxy elite pro.
    30 min later with breakfast- 3 NOW Glucosamine/MSM, 2000mg NOW fish oil, 1 Optimen(it says three a day but I think thats unnecessary)
    Pre Workout- 1 scoop Myofusion, 10g creatine, 25g NOW dextrose w/milk
    Post Workout- 2 scoop Myofusion, 10g creatine, 35g NOW dextrose w/milk
    With dinner- 3 NOW Glucosamine/MSM, 2000mg NOW fish oil
    Before bed- 1 scoop ON Casein w/milk
    Edited By: mattg1983 Feb 9th, 2012 at 03:54 PM
    Add mattg1983 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Admiral View Post

I'm guessing you mean compound lifts? And not sure why you just chose 2500 calories at everyones maintenance amount. Some people looking to lose weight would gain at 2500 and vice versa some people looking to gain weight would lose weight at 2500 calories. Everyone is different. You also ignore macro/micro nutrients which are very important.

Originally Posted by RhoNin View Post

Yeah but theres always details I'm interested in. Like last week I tried "Cevapi" - a meal that comes from South-Eastern Europe - and I loved it. It has zero carbs and is just fat and (lots of) protein. Made me love it even more.

Are you looking for nutrition help or just commenting in general about the thread? If the former I'd be happy to help.

Originally Posted by mattg1983 View Post

What supps is everyone taking? When and how much?

I take 1000mg of fish oil and if I'm protein deficient I'll supplement that.

I fell short of my first 3x5 last night. @!#$!@# OHP at 130 got 5 reps for the first 2 and could only get 3 reps the third set. So close to throwing on the 45s.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  11. I've been working out 6 days a week for the last 6 months. Results are showing:

Add Camronius to Rail
  12. Finally able to do legs..kept it light in case my nerve issues flared up again..but it still felt great.
    squatssssss
    135x20
    155x20
    225x10
    245x10
    275x5

Sldl
    155x10 @3sets

Lunges
    60x10 @2 sets

Calves

Oh and I agree that low bar squats rape. I've always known of them and tried them yesterday for the first time hoping to allieviate pressure and it was so money...i'll never go back.
    Edited By: BAntares Feb 10th, 2012 at 04:13 PM
    Add BAntares to Rail
  13. Had spent enough $ at nurtishop in the past year the owner gave me some IBCAAs. Said to take them pre/post workout, 2 scoops since im >200lbs.

Been working out for 10 yrs hard and never taken this, only take a 40g protein post work out shake and some fish oils in the AM. Anyone with any knowledge on this sup? good/ bad reviews wanted. Thanks.

I took it once already before a metcon CF wod and could not tell any difference.
    Add RunLikeAChettah to Rail
    Originally Posted by Mr323 View Post

Kinda random and love this thread; can anyone post what casien protein product I should be taking in the evening?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/xf/ultrapeptide2.html

This is the one I use. I mix it with 1/2 water and 1/2 skim milk, tastes absolutely amazing. Get the cinnamon roll flavor, you won't regret it.

Edited By: TheBigEarn Feb 12th, 2012 at 05:28 PM
    Thread StarterAdd TheBigEarn to Rail
    Originally Posted by RunLikeAChettah View Post

Had spent enough $ at nurtishop in the past year the owner gave me some IBCAAs. Said to take them pre/post workout, 2 scoops since im >200lbs.

Been working out for 10 yrs hard and never taken this, only take a 40g protein post work out shake and some fish oils in the AM. Anyone with any knowledge on this sup? good/ bad reviews wanted. Thanks.

I took it once already before a metcon CF wod and could not tell any difference.

If you're on a calorie deficit it'll preserve muscle mass while you burn fat and that's it. If you're bulking, then it's pretty useless.
    Add T_Lyons to Rail
  16. Hey guys,

I've been pretty good at following my schedule during the past three weeks, but I'm going to new orleans for a week of mayhem next week. I want to get back as soon as possible to lifting like I am right now. I need suggestions as to what to do/take in order to recover as fast as possible.

I've already decided to stop drinking for lent (this has to do more with CFA studying than anything).

any ideas?
    Add Unforseen to Rail
    Originally Posted by Unforseen View Post

Hey guys,

I've been pretty good at following my schedule during the past three weeks, but I'm going to new orleans for a week of mayhem next week. I want to get back as soon as possible to lifting like I am right now. I need suggestions as to what to do/take in order to recover as fast as possible.

I've already decided to stop drinking for lent (this has to do more with CFA studying than anything).

any ideas?

Recover from being sore after lifting or recover from getting back to where you were before a week of being on a bender? You won't lose anything in a week if that is what you are asking. The first day back after a ton of boozing you might feel a bit sluggish and such but it's not like you'll be lifting 10% less after some partying. If you mean recovery in general, lots of protein and sleep helps your body recover best. Nothing fancy.

Have fun in New Orleans.
    Originally Posted by BigEarn7 View Post

Recover from being sore after lifting or recover from getting back to where you were before a week of being on a bender? You won't lose anything in a week if that is what you are asking. The first day back after a ton of boozing you might feel a bit sluggish and such but it's not like you'll be lifting 10% less after some partying. If you mean recovery in general, lots of protein and sleep helps your body recover best. Nothing fancy.

Have fun in New Orleans.

thanks man. recovering after drinking for 4 days and very little sleep. I'm going to make sure I eat as much as possible down there to diminish the effects.

why does alcohol have to be so detrimental to your body :(
    Add Unforseen to Rail

thanks man. recovering after drinking for 4 days and very little sleep. I'm going to make sure I eat as much as possible down there to diminish the effects.

Eating in New Orleans won't be a challenge. Do yourself a favor and don't fall in the trap of buying slices of pizza on Bourbon St because you don't want to miss partying time for meals. Even if you go to the local creole and cajun places that aren't very good, they're still pretty good.
    Add El Burro to Rail

Hey guys,

any ideas?

Add kidrockin to Rail

Eh, this won't matter at all in the long run. I've done spring break the last few years and had total 4-5 day benders and the gym was totally fine when I got back. Sometimes it's good to take a week off from the gym.
  22. I decided about a week ago I was going to get serious about adding some extra mass. Today I took a pill before dinner and my mom very seriously asked me if it was steroids because I was looking a lot bigger (I am up 4 pounds this week). That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.

For the record, the pill was a Beano that I took because of the horrible gas that comes with eating all the extra protein lol.
    Edited By: Mkind16 Feb 13th, 2012 at 01:14 AM
    Add Mkind16 to Rail
  23. nice mkind, I'm sure you're bloating up a little but stick with it and try to only weigh yourself once a week if you can. that tends to shake out some of the variance of real life's effects on your body.

this thread has been slipping and I don't like it one bit... not sure if you guys are letting go of your new year's resolutions like the weiners at the gym or if you just got sick of posting workouts.

anyway I'm painfully sober lately (less than a handful of drinks since christmas. shout-out to the sandman) and shredding weight, and I work mostly nights, so I don't really eat or sleep, hence my post-midnight workouts. I'm going on 950 calories in the last 48+ hours so any success in the gym makes me happy. deadlifts tonight on 6 days rest:

deadlifts
    140/8 -stiff leg, weight never touching the floor, gradually ramp up the speed
    140/10 -conventional, double-overhand grip
    210/6
    250/5
    (switch grip)
    290/4
    (throw on the belt)
    330/8 -I was fucking pissed when I put this down. when I do a heavy set of 8 I want at least a bit of stalling on the last rep or 2, but no, smooth as silk for 8 reps. once I calmed down I was happy but fuck, when I wait a week for a heavy 8 reps I want to make it worth it.
    210/10 -sumo style, standing on plates

power cleans
    100/3 x 3 sets -I don't remember all the reasons the gurus told me to do these at the end of a deadlift workout but they fuckin help and everyone should try it. something about muscle memory and ending on a quick motion instead of the slow deadlift motion.

I guess I should add that all my deadlifts are done with an increased range of motion. I have normal size plates but when I deadlift I use my smaller ones from some cheap weight set that are fatter with a smaller diameter.

I'm gonna work up to a heavy set of 6 next week, probably with 360-370 depending on how I feel.

and I burst out laughing when I found this thing. I'm out of school so I'm back working out in my secret location with concrete floors and a charming lack of douchebags walking around with water bottles and lifting gloves. anyway I found this thing tucked away in a corner and it works great. thought I'd show off 9th grade hank h1ll's welding skills:

notice my rusty 1500-lb test bar and overall shit conditions. next time you feel sorry for yourself lifting at 24-hour fitness you can just get over it.
    Edited By: Hank H1LL Feb 14th, 2012 at 08:41 AM
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
    Originally Posted by Camronius View Post

I've been working out 6 days a week for the last 6 months. Results are showing:

lol.. wp
    Add tyballs11 to Rail
  25. I stalled at 130 OHP again last night. got 5,5,4 reps. Will definitely get it Saturday and move on to the 45s. Other than that I have made all my 3x5 sets moving up 5 pounds each week. Right now I'm at:

Squat 240 (3x5)
    DL's 250 (1x5)
    OHP 130 (3x5 almost)
    Bench Press 200 (3x5)
    Barbell Rows 190 (3x5)

I think I have a decent ways to go with the squats, rows and DL's but Bench is getting tougher and the OHP I am already working through a wall. Still love the workouts though.

Started a cut too, I'm gonna shed about 10-12 pounds over the next 3-4 months. Hopefully there is some new muscle hiding under there I've done a nice slow bulk for almost 8 months now.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  26. I've been doing mostly circuit training with dumbbells. It has been great as I have dropped 15 lbs in about a month (my diet has been insanely clean as well). I know this type of workout isn't optimal for long term strength and lean muscle gains, so I am looking into some of the sandbag training. Anyone have any experience with it?
    Add TiltinShoes to Rail
  27. No slackin here. I gave a 4 week report and was going to wait for 8 or 12 weeks to report again, but since you asked.

Started December 26, 2011 at:

Squats 45 5x5
    OHP 45 5x5
    BP 45 5x5
    BBR 65 5x5
    DL 95 1x5

February 13, 2012

squats 155 5x5
    OHP 90 5x5
    BP 100 5x5
    BBR 110 5x5
    DL 205 1x5

I've done 24 sessions each one about one hour, 3x's per week. Including stretching and a short walk after. Been shooting around in the gym on rest days. Even played some pick up one day, but tweaked the groin and set me back 2 sessions of squats. Can't wait to get back on my bike.

I've stalled twice on OHP and redid a session of BBR due to form issues. It becomes obvious real quick that form and technique is hugely important and I'm working every rep on that.

Its funny how certain milestones, like getting into triple figures on a lift or using bigger plates can motivate you. All in all, this program is fun, not very time consuming and transforms ones body in no time. The workouts are clearly getting more intense as the weight gets heavier. Having a partner is helpful and motivating as well.

Been eating much better (no supplements other than my daily dose of Vitamin D, so I've dropped around 20lbs and I feel great and look better

Wish I had pics.

Not really.

Nice rack Hank.
    Add Willywoo to Rail
  28. Bp:
    225x10
    235x8
    255x5
    270x5

Db incline:
    95x10
    95x7

Curls:80x12@ sets
    60xburnout

Hammer curls:
    40x12@2sets

Db flys:
    65x10@2 sets

Db pullover:
    80x12

Getting closer to my goal of a 315 bp..think i'll give it a.whirl at the end of the month.
    Add BAntares to Rail
    Originally Posted by BAntares View Post

Bp:
    225x10
    235x8
    255x5
    270x5

Db incline:
    95x10
    95x7

Curls:80x12@ sets
    60xburnout

Hammer curls:
    40x12@2sets

Db flys:
    65x10@2 sets

Db pullover:
    80x12

Getting closer to my goal of a 315 bp..think i'll give it a.whirl at the end of the month.

Based on those numbers you should be able to easily throw up 315
    Add mattg1983 to Rail