[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

Originally Posted by Hank H1LL View Post

deadlifts tonight. 7 days rest. going on about 1200 calories in the lasy 48 hrs so my energy is a little low right now.

then a bunch of supplement stuff that's pretty boring. I felt good about tonight, considering I could barely lift 300 lbs when I started deadlifting a couple months ago. gonna aim for 2 sets of 430/3 next week.

I'm definitely unfamiliar with and slightly intimidated by the workouts some of you guys are doing, but they certainly sound beastly and deserving of support, so keep up the good work.

I've gotten a lot of good info and advice from this thread in a very short time and haven't been able to give much in return, but if it helps, this thread really does help me get out of bed in the morning and work hard, so hopefully just knowing that will help to motivate you guys too.
    Edited By: BubbaKGB Feb 22nd, 2012 at 04:25 AM
    Add BubbaKGB to Rail
    Originally Posted by Leet8s View Post

I suggest giving up complex carbs like bread, pasta, etc. but keep fruits. I eat mango all day

I think you have your carbs backwards. Refined flour and sugar have been reduced to their most basic level, or "simplified". Items containing these simple carbs (cake, white bread, pasta, etc.) are what you want to avoid. Complex carbs are what you find in fruits and other whole foods (since they have not been refined).

Granted, I might have it backwards. :)
    Add El Burro to Rail
    Originally Posted by BubbaKGB View Post

I'm definitely unfamiliar with and slightly intimidated by the workouts some of you guys are doing, but they certainly sound beastly and deserving of support, so keep up the good work.

I've gotten a lot of good info and advice from this thread in a very short time and haven't been able to give much in return, but if it helps, this thread really does help me get out of bed in the morning and work hard, so hopefully just knowing that will help to motivate you guys too.

right on, mayne

the shit I do isn't anything I'd suggest to someone who just wants to get in the gym, feel better, look better, get active... I put in 8-10 weeks of boredom doing sets of 10, 15, 20 deadlifts, and goodmornings, abs, cleans, rows, and all the bullshit to set up the foundation to build a one rep max.

tbh I could really care less about muscle tone, definition, symmetry, etc because I just want to get stronger in absolute terms. the aesthetic effects on my body are a nice benefit but fuck me if I ever dedicate an entire workout to biceps, triceps, and lats like half the assholes in the gym. of course I do tons of medium to high rep auxiliary exercises but no one really cares if I post that, so I just post some of my heavy workouts to keep track of my progress, primarily for my own benefit.

I'm losing tons of fat right now (and still somehow getting stronger, for now at least) and that alone will do more for your appearance than grinding out lat pulls and dips all day every day. I guess my point in this rambling is if I'm doing something in the gym it's for the purpose of hitting a big 1 rep max sometime in the future, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it, and that's obv not for everybody.

I'm excited at least a couple people have gotten motivated by this thread, and I love reading this thread and seeing the progress reports. I'm not an expert but I happened to grow up around powerlifting and lift with some truly impressive people so I've managed to pick up a lot of little things that make that progress come around a bit faster. glad to share any of my knowledge with anyone itt.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  4. Found a lot of useful information in this thread and have a few questions if anyone has the time to answer them for me.

I have been working out 3 weeks with my brother and have started to see some small and rewarding results.

Starting tomorrow I am making a concentrated effort to eat a lot better and make sure to do some cardio (basketball, running, or rowing machine)

I want to preserve the muscle that I am building but lose this small gut I still have. What supplements should I be taking if any? Also above I listed rowing machine for cardio. What should my target be for how long I do the rowing machine and is it even a good form of cardio?

Thanks a ton guys and keep the posts coming !!
    Add RadCon to Rail
  5. You can read the posts to see what program I am a fan of. Starting my 10th week today. Deadlifting 235 Wednesday, squatting 165 today. Up from 95 and 45 at the beginning. You want to lose your stomach, you need to work those muscles, try squatting and other compound free weight lifts OHP, BP, BBR, and DL and eat a little less. Don't over think it. One thing I really like about this program is that you don't have to think about it. You lift a little more each session. It's simple and the progress is concrete and documented.
    Add Willywoo to Rail
    Originally Posted by Willywoo View Post

You can read the posts to see what program I am a fan of. Starting my 10th week today. Deadlifting 235 Wednesday, squatting 165 today. Up from 95 and 45 at the beginning. You want to lose your stomach, you need to work those muscles, try squatting and other compound free weight lifts OHP, BP, BBR, and DL and eat a little less. Don't over think it. One thing I really like about this program is that you don't have to think about it. You lift a little more each session. It's simple and the progress is concrete and documented.

Only thing I disagree with is the bold. You can't spot target fat loss. If your body fat is too high and you don't like your stomach for instance you can do sit ups all day long and will see no difference. You get rid of that fat by lowering your total body fat by like you say doing compound lifts and more importantly through proper diet.

Best thing a new lifter can do is eat right and build strength and a core through compound lifts for 1-2 years before even thinking about any iso work. That's why SS and Stronglifts are so perfect for new lifters. I'm loving SS. By the way "new lifters" probably encompasses 90% of veteran lifters who have wasted 5 years plus in the gym and should get back to basics.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

Only thing I disagree with is the bold. You can't spot target fat loss. If your body fat is too high and you don't like your stomach for instance you can do sit ups all day long and will see no difference. You get rid of that fat by lowering your total body fat by like you say doing compound lifts and more importantly through proper diet.

Best thing a new lifter can do is eat right and build strength and a core through compound lifts for 1-2 years before even thinking about any iso work. That's why SS and Stronglifts are so perfect for new lifters. I'm loving SS. By the way "new lifters" probably encompasses 90% of veteran lifters who have wasted 5 years plus in the gym and should get back to basics.

great post

lol the idiot trainer at my gym started harassing me last week for taking my shoes off when i squatted which was pretty annoying, could def feel the difference in terms of ease. might just wear my lacoste sneakers or something next time so there's no heel like on my other pair of shoes.

diet has been spot-on other than the fridays where i go out and drink etc...started even cooking for myself which has saved some $ which is pretty sweet. i'm actually not half-bad either
    Add FenwayKing to Rail
  8. @coolhandkev You are correct. Must have had a brain to keyboard disconnect. I was trying to emphasis compound lifts as building more muscle and therefore burning more fat.
    Add Willywoo to Rail
    Originally Posted by jonnyg123 View Post

Hi all, not sure if this is the right thread but I figure there's enough knowledge here that maybe I can get some help...

I don't lift often but I play high level soccer 4-5x a week. Lately (past few months) I'm finding that no matter what I eat during the day, I'm feeling nauseous after 15 minutes or so of the game. It goes away after 5-10 minutes, but it really impacts my performance as I start every game. It's not a matter of being out of shape as I'm fine cardio-wise, I just feel like puking up the food. Any ideas on what my game day diet should be? Practices aren't as big of an issue as I can just sit for those 5-10 minutes until the feeling goes away and then continue. I'm 6 foot 3, about 170-180 pounds depending on the season.
    I have a game at 8pm tonight and haven't scored in 3 games so any help would be immensely appreciated.
    Thanks a lot.

How long is it between your last meal and game time?

How is your complex carb intake (whole wheat stuff, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc)?

Originally Posted by RadCon View Post

Found a lot of useful information in this thread and have a few questions if anyone has the time to answer them for me.

I have been working out 3 weeks with my brother and have started to see some small and rewarding results.

Starting tomorrow I am making a concentrated effort to eat a lot better and make sure to do some cardio (basketball, running, or rowing machine)

I want to preserve the muscle that I am building but lose this small gut I still have. What supplements should I be taking if any? Also above I listed rowing machine for cardio. What should my target be for how long I do the rowing machine and is it even a good form of cardio?

Thanks a ton guys and keep the posts coming !!

No need for supplements, except for maybe a protein powder, depending upon your goals (personally I could not get in 350g of protein a day without it) but a diet consisting of high protein and moderate carbs and low to moderate fats should do the trick.

Any form of cardio is good. Although HIIT is optimal for fat loss.
    Add BAntares to Rail
    Originally Posted by BAntares View Post

How long is it between your last meal and game time?

How is your complex carb intake (whole wheat stuff, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc)?

Thanks for the response- when I eat carbs, it's almost exclusively brown rice, whole grain pasta, or whole grain bread/wraps if i need to make a sandwich on the go. If I snack I'll have something like wheat crackers with peanut butter.

As for timing, I've tried everything. I find that if I eat more than 2 hours before the game, I get really hungry. Anything sooner and I'll definitely feel nauseous for a bit. I guess my question would be how and what and when I should eat in the 8 hours before a game. So, assuming 8pm kickoff, from noon onwards.

Thanks SO much
    Add jonnyg123 to Rail
  11. other then this thread is bodybuilding dot com the best place to find workout information at?
    Add Werglum to Rail
  12. Im a noob with the lifting and too self conscious to start off in the gym but Im working on finding a house and will most definitely be starting the 5x5 workout it sounds like some other noobs are working on. Will be making a post when the time comes to figure out exactly what I need.
    Add swizbeatz to Rail
  13. See lots of very informative info here and I wouldn't be one to question it. For anyone trying to lose inches/weight, I strongly suggest trying the "Flat Belly Diet". There are also some vigorous low-weight workouts in there.
    Add Hecklerz to Rail
    Originally Posted by swizbeatz View Post

Im a noob with the lifting and too self conscious to start off in the gym but Im working on finding a house and will most definitely be starting the 5x5 workout it sounds like some other noobs are working on. Will be making a post when the time comes to figure out exactly what I need.

I've been doing StrongLifts 5x5 for 7 weeks now thanks to this thread and I love how it makes me feel. There is no reason to be self conscious. You may feel silly benching an empty bar the first time, but honestly you are really the only one looking at yourself. I promise you the only time people will look at you is when you start lifting heavy weights because then they will be impressed...or if you are a hot girl and then those looks are standard. It's one thing if you like working out in the comfort of your own home, but if it is about being embarrassed of how you look or how much you lift DON'T! At least you would be taking the initiative.

I hate hearing people say that they don't have the time though or that they are going to wait to start working out. The sooner you start working out, the sooner you will feel better about yourself! Also, I get that the gym can be intimidating for new lifters but you have to remember something, everybody has started out where you have been at one point or another. And you may be surprised how seeing others work out will help motivate you to keep pushing.
    Add mrfilthyrich to Rail
  15. been putting a little work in...pretty sure i'll do a sprint triathlon in the next month or two. i highly recommend the "IMapMyRun" app on smartphones. without it i have no doubt in my mind i wouldn't have put near as many miles in as i have.

Date_____Type_________Distance___Duration___Pace__Calories

01/29/12__Run / Jog______5.14 mi____41:00_____8:00____794

02/02/12__Run / Jog______3.63 mi____27:52_____7:45____540

02/04/12__Road Cycling___10.94 mi___40:32_____3:42____698

02/06/12__Run / Jog______6.03 mi____48:29_____8:02____814

02/07/12__Road Cycling___11.86 mi___42:04_____3:33____724

02/08/12__Run / Jog______2.3 mi_____17:22_____7:33____314

02/08/12__Road Cycling___10.66 mi___39:31_____3:43____680

02/09/12__Run / Jog______5.59 mi____44:43_____8:01____802

02/10/12__Run / Jog______4.1 mi_____32:03_____7:49____555

02/17/12__Run / Jog______3.85 mi____30:37_____7:58____593

02/19/12__Run / Jog______5.61 mi____44:51_____8:01____804

02/20/12__Road Cycling___20.42 mi___1:10:31___3:27____1214

02/22/12__Run / Jog______6.31 mi____46:04_____7:18____925

Add SoCalDrew to Rail
    Originally Posted by jonnyg123 View Post

Thanks for the response- when I eat carbs, it's almost exclusively brown rice, whole grain pasta, or whole grain bread/wraps if i need to make a sandwich on the go. If I snack I'll have something like wheat crackers with peanut butter.

As for timing, I've tried everything. I find that if I eat more than 2 hours before the game, I get really hungry. Anything sooner and I'll definitely feel nauseous for a bit. I guess my question would be how and what and when I should eat in the 8 hours before a game. So, assuming 8pm kickoff, from noon onwards.

Thanks SO much

Obviously I don't know how many grams of carbs you're getting in on game days but you might try upping it a bit. I've played soccer, and other sports all my life and haven't experienced this, or heard of it, due to food related problems. Maybe it's just nerves because you're playing at a high level? My suggestion would be to increase carb intake and maybe a gatorade an hour and a half or so before the game. Such a wide range of things that could be causing it it's hard to say.
    Add BAntares to Rail
  17. If I'm nauseous, I just rub one out.

I also rub one out if I'm tired, angry, sick, melancholy, excited, bored, asleep, driving, eating a cheeseburger, blinking or daydreaming about Oprah Winfrey's butthole.
    Add El Burro to Rail
    Originally Posted by mrfilthyrich View Post

I've been doing StrongLifts 5x5 for 7 weeks now thanks to this thread and I love how it makes me feel. There is no reason to be self conscious. You may feel silly benching an empty bar the first time, but honestly you are really the only one looking at yourself. I promise you the only time people will look at you is when you start lifting heavy weights because then they will be impressed...or if you are a hot girl and then those looks are standard. It's one thing if you like working out in the comfort of your own home, but if it is about being embarrassed of how you look or how much you lift DON'T! At least you would be taking the initiative.

I hate hearing people say that they don't have the time though or that they are going to wait to start working out. The sooner you start working out, the sooner you will feel better about yourself! Also, I get that the gym can be intimidating for new lifters but you have to remember something, everybody has started out where you have been at one point or another. And you may be surprised how seeing others work out will help motivate you to keep pushing.

this

the only people who get judged at the gym are the people who try to do too much weight with awful form...no one cares if youre lifting light weights. in fact its pretty cool youre trying to do it right and work your way up.

I mean, I definitely get it...I was the same way when I first started working out. I was super-intimidated but if you get ove the first couple days, it's really not that bad. Trust me, no one really cares
    Add FenwayKing to Rail
  19. It can be intimidating for about a few weeks until you realize that 90% of the people at the gym are not only doing exercises at the gym incorrectly but also wasting their time on worthless isolation lifts.

I used to have people come up and ask me all the time when I was going to be done with the squat rack or bench when I was doing like 85 pound squats. Now I just get people asking me for spots or if I can check out their squat form. Give it 3 months and you will be the one intimidating people as long as you are doing the proper lifts.
    Add Admiral to Rail
    Originally Posted by BAntares View Post

No need for supplements, except for maybe a protein powder, depending upon your goals (personally I could not get in 350g of protein a day without it) but a diet consisting of high protein and moderate carbs and low to moderate fats should do the trick.

Any form of cardio is good. Although HIIT is optimal for fat loss.

You have any suggestions on a good HIIT workout program for a beginner. Looked a little online and found a little bit of stuff but if you know exactly what to do or where to look at it would help me out a ton.
    Add RadCon to Rail
    Originally Posted by RadCon View Post

You have any suggestions on a good HIIT workout program for a beginner. Looked a little online and found a little bit of stuff but if you know exactly what to do or where to look at it would help me out a ton.

Just experiment and find what you like best. You can turn any form of cardio into interval training. Sprint 10 seconds then jog or walk 50 seconds. As you get in better shape increase the sprint or decrease the jog/walk time. Substitute biking or swimming or anything.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

Just experiment and find what you like best. You can turn any form of cardio into interval training. Sprint 10 seconds then jog or walk 50 seconds. As you get in better shape increase the sprint or decrease the jog/walk time. Substitute biking or swimming or anything.

That is what I figured I found something that said to do the workout hardcore for 30 seconds then take off 90 and repeat 6-8 times. Then after a few weeks do 30 and 60 and finally 30 and 30.

Would a rowing machine and or jump roping work along with swimming, sprinting and biking. Just want to keep it interesting so I dont get bored.

Thanks a lot
    Add RadCon to Rail
  23. I've been bench pressing using only a 10ish (10-15) lb bar. I have 75lbs on each side for about 160lbs of weight, total. The bar is atleast 20 years old. I was wondering if it's safe or maybe I should get another bar? I'ts a hollow bar and about 5 feet long which is perfect b/c it's in my room, which is the only place for it. I just started taking all the wieghts off when not using it, just to be safe, but that's kind of a pain in the ass, lol. thanks for any help.

Anyways, I just started working out seriously about a month ago. I've been skinny my entire life and sick of it. I'm 25 and weighed in at 149.4 lbs on my first day. I've been taking protein shakes everyday and just started taking a pre workout supplement last week and now I'm up to 154.8lbs. I've never been able to gain weight so this feel good. I started out benching 125ish and now im repping 160lbs 4 sets of 10. maybe ill make an update every 30 days or so, just for the hell of it. Also if anyone knows some really good stuff to gain weight and muscle mass that would be cool. This protien im taken seems kind of weak. again thanks.

Add Bballmike222 to Rail
  24. has anyone here done some vertical jump improvement based training? only just started doing some different jump styles and stretching so far.
    Add MattAKA to Rail
  25. Well, I am a mess. Just popped something in my groin/quad at my hockey game last night. Got a big game up in Green Bay tonight I would be able to play in. I think it is a pulled muscle as I actually physically felt it pop. Today it is real sore and I will continue to ice. This is my second injury in 3 weeks to this area and I don't understand why. It is a def not a reinjury of the last one because that was in a different spot, but it is pretty close. I have been squatting for legs but not really doing much else, I think I need to work in more hamstring stuff perhaps? I also feel really tight overall in my legs because I am sitting at a desk all day m-f.

Anyone wanna loan me a set of working legs?
    Edited By: TheBigEarn Feb 25th, 2012 at 04:47 PM
    Thread StarterAdd TheBigEarn to Rail
    Originally Posted by Bballmike222 View Post

Also if anyone knows some really good stuff to gain weight and muscle mass that would be cool. This protien im taken seems kind of weak. again thanks.

The best thing to gain weight and mass are whole foods. Find a calorie calculator to see how many you need to take in each day to maintain your current weight. You're looking to gain weight so add 500 calories to that number. Every few weeks adjust those numbers based on your progress. If you're gonna need a mass gaining powder to reach your daily calorie totals, find something with a low number of sugars in it.
    Edited By: T_Lyons Feb 25th, 2012 at 05:00 PM
    Add T_Lyons to Rail
  27. I did my first real squat and dl workout yesterday... i'm really sore, i can barely walk. I can't imagine i'm going to be able to squat again tomorrow.

Willy and other beginners, were you able to complete the workouts every other day in the beginning?
    Add Moonlight Graham to Rail
    Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham View Post

I did my first real squat and dl workout yesterday... i'm really sore, i can barely walk. I can't imagine i'm going to be able to squat again tomorrow.

Willy and other beginners, were you able to complete the workouts every other day in the beginning?

Soreness is to be expected. You might even wanna wait a bit to squat again, wait til it isn't too crazy. I remember my first few workouts back a few years ago after taking a ton of time off. My arms were beyond sore and my legs were dead after I squatted. Soon you won't even be sore, you'll just get a kind of "I worked the shit out of this muscle and I can tell" type of feeling.
    Thread StarterAdd TheBigEarn to Rail
  29. I really need to get my ass back in the gym. When i was playing HS football i was in incredible shape - able to lift a ton of weight and my conditioning was the best it's ever been in my life.

since then I haven't been able to get into a set routine - I'll be in the gym hard for a month or two then get lazy and undisciplined and skip out. been like that for the past 5 years.

glad i finally looked at this thread - i'll be honest i've seen it plenty but avoided opening it up for a long time ahaha.

My problem now is that I really don't know of any type of lifting/workout besides the power lifting i did to put on a ton of muscle for football. I'm not trying to put on a lot of muscle; just try and get into shape and cut a couple lbs. I'm 6'1 and at 215lbs right now. I would like to get down to 200 lbs.

gonna head to the gym in a couple hours.
    Add STOPPER19 to Rail
  30. I'm a fatty but have swung a golf club 8450 times this winter in my basement.

Wiffle balls into a carpet wall.

70's swinger pad.
    Add ChocoThunder to Rail