[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

Originally Posted by whitechoclate View Post

Don't skip your workouts for any reason. I feel better that I ever have and that is the main reason. 1 off day a week on Fri. and that is it for me. Working out 2 to 3 hours a day.

That seems incredibly excessive to me but to each their own.

You can easily find one hour 3-4 days a week and get in enough exercise to reach almost any physical goal.

2-3 hours a day 6 days a week is more than most stage ready body builders.
  2. the stretching segments are the worst. I can't hold hat shit
    Edited By: bucketorocks Aug 28th, 2012 at 08:41 PM
    Reason: arms trembling
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

That seems incredibly excessive to me but to each their own.

You can easily find one hour 3-4 days a week and get in enough exercise to reach almost any physical goal.

2-3 hours a day 6 days a week is more than most stage ready body builders.

I am doing a lot of cardio. Running 8 miles every workout for now. Going to cut back on the cario after I slim down a little more. I was 196 to start the year and now I weigh 174. Lost some muscle, but lost more fat than any thing.
    Originally Posted by cchan View Post

anyone do crossfit?

going to do a trial class next week

I'm 3 session in and it is incredible.

I have to scale down a bunch of the exercises, definitely cant do handstand pushups yet and I can't do enough pulls ups to hit all the WOD numbers but whats nice is you can cater Crossfit to any fitness level. There is a bunch of "complaints" about people not focusing on form and getting injured etc. but at least at my box we spend a great deal of time making sure everyone's form is spot on and we have a lot of coaches trained on increasing mobility to really reduce injury.
  5. I was just going to say that if you do crossfit make absolutely sure that form is stressed. Theres a lot of videos out there of crossfit workouts going on with the trainers encouraging bad form so just make sure to do a bit of research first to make sure its a legit center or box i guess theyre called?
  6. Yeah they call it a box, still not sure how I feel about that but whatever. Ours is broken down into level 1 and level 2. Level 1 is a beginner class to get familiar with all of the movements and you have to go through 10 beginner classes in a month before you can move onto level 2. As far as I can tell there isn't a whole lot of difference but with level 1 we really practice technique for all of the lifts and then do the same WOD.

It's nice being around as many motivated people as yourself and it really is the feeling of a team enviroment since no matter your fitness level, if you push yourself it will equally suck for everyone. I understand that even if you do everything right it is pretty high impact but I really think if you work on a lot of the mobility exercises and make sure you keep proper form Crossfit is easily the best enviroment you can put yourself in to not only get into shape but get back to being athlete. I just want to play competitively in a men's baseball league in the fall so that's my end game.
    Originally Posted by whitechoclate View Post

Don't skip your workouts for any reason. I feel better that I ever have and that is the main reason. 1 off day a week on Fri. and that is it for me. Working out 2 to 3 hours a day.

This looks like a fast track to burnout to me, and I doubt it is the most efficient method out there. If you're trying to improve lung capicity look into RKC 15:15 protocols and sprinting regiments and lift heavy 2-3 times a week. If you are just trying to look good, eat right and lift heavy 3 times a week and you'll get there. Probably more effectively as well.
  8. Ok so here I go. I'm 27, and in May I stepped on the scale for the first time in a while. I'm 6'0 and clocked in at 299.6 O_o ( yes I know haters gon hate). In disgust and ready for a life change I changed my diet tremendously and starting doing light exercise in the evenings. I lost 30 lbs pretty quickly and came to a stale mate. I didn't lose for a cpl weeks and one time when I got on the scale I had actually gained a few pounds. I'm aware this is completely standard so I kicked up my fitness.

At the doctor yesterday I weighed in at 242 and I'm still dropping, slowly but surely. I have been working out 6 days a week and eating a diet rich in lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I eat 5-6 times a day. My workout routine consists of:

-I wake up every morning at 5:15 (only time I'm able to get this done since I have a daughter who's 9 months old and my wife and I both work)

-I do not eat prior to work out, only drink water before and during.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday
    -Cardio along with weight training 45-60 mins

Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
    -Cardio 45-60 mins

*Not really relevant but I walk about 1-2 miles most evenings with my daughter.

I have breakfast about 30-40 mins after my workout and its usually oats and a banana along with a glass of non fat milk.

Now my questions are to just anyone that has experience.....

My goal is to get down to 220 or lower and be in good shape. I don't need to be ripped or anything I would just like to have a fully toned body.

Am I going about breaking up the cardio and weight training correctly ?

Is my meal plan pre and post workout effective ? What do I need to change ?

Any suggested workouts to get rid of the extra belly fat ?

I know I have about 20 other questions but just can't get em out right now.

Any advice on reaching my goal and maintaining my weight weather it be diet or fitness is greatly appreciated. Also if anyone wants to suggest a fitness board I should post this on for more advice that would be great.

Thanks for your time.

9. Nice work 7. Are you tracking your diet currently? By tracking I mean keeping track of protein, fat, carb and calorie intake? If so what does that look like?

What kind of cardio and weight lifting are you doing?

Also the part you said wasn't really relevant is a huge thing that people don't realize and incredibly relevant. Doing little things like walking with your daughter or dog or walking to the grocery store or whatever every day is a HUGE way to drop the pounds. That's 100-200 calories extra you are burning every day which all things equal is adding about 2 pounds of weight loss a month to your totals.
  10. Thanks Kev and I appreciate your reply :)

You mean like a journal type thing ? No unfortunately I haven't been writing anything down.

My daily diet looks like:

Breakfast: oats and banana. I sprinkle light brown sugar and cinnamon on the oats. Glass of milk sometimes.

Am snack: Apple/Grapes + whole grain crackers or rice cake

Lunch:
    Sandwhich-
    1 serving turkey breast
    2 slices whole wheat bread
    Lettuce, tomato, onion
    About 1/4 of an avocado

Salad- Spring Mix w/ olive oil dressing

1 orange

Afternoon Snack:
    1.5 oz dry almonds
    Non fat yopolia yogurt

Dinner:
    4-6 oz chicken usuallly sometimes Salmon
    Brown Rice
    Vegetables (usually green beans, carrots, brocoli, asparagus, green peppers, red peppers and onion)
    Mix in beans slices of bread with light margerine or whole grain tortillas (for fajitas)from time to time for whatever the specific dinner that night calls for.

Night snack: varies, sometimes ill have fruit, a small bowl of whole grain cheerios, a scoop of low fat ice cream or sherbet, whole grain crackers or rice cakes.

Vices:
    Diet Soda
    Chewy sour candy
    Ice cream - I get easy churned from the store and limit myself to a scoop or two at a time
    Chips & Salsa
    Mexican Food in general - I love chicken tacos

Thing I Use sparingly:
    Cheese
    Milk
    Red meat- I might eat one serving per week if that
    Salt
    Alcohol

Things I avoid:
    Fast food
    Eggs - I use whites to make a vegetable omlett for breakfast from time to time

Fitness:
    I use Everything the fitness center at my apt complex has available to me

Cardio- Treadmill, eliptical and bike. I split my time between the 3.

Weight training - bench press, curls, leg lifts and I'm not sure what its called but where u sit down and pull the horizontal bar behind your neck.

Oh and in regards to walking I wear my daughter strapped to my chest in a Baby Bjorn and she weighs 20+ pounds so that's gotta be a few more calories getting burned :)

11. What I would strongly recommend is inputing all your food (anything that has calories) to a site like myfitnesspal or fitday.com.

Total calories is what's going to effect the scale, so by tracking total calories and your weight you can know what to adjust. If you are losing weight too quickly you aren't eating enough calories and vice versa when you start to stall you can cut calories accordingly.

Macro nutrients (protein, fat, carbs) are important to track as well for body composition. To help maintain as much muscle as possible losing weight I'd try and get at least 200g of protein which can be tough and you may want to use a protein powder to help get there.

Fat is also an important part of diet which gets overlooked. Eating dietary fat =/= adding body fat. It's very good for your body and can help with food cravings as well as it's more satiable. I would try and get at least 75g of dietary fat a day. Switching from non-fat milk to whole milk for instance with a) have you drinking less processed milk and b) help with hunger issues with the only downside being a few extra calories.

Carbs you should eat as needed. Your body doesn't actually need carbs to function but you should try and find what works best for energy levels in your body. For some people they function great with tons of carbs others prefer low carb, find what works best for you.

For the workout, I'd strongly suggest getting into a beginner program that is structured. Something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts have been used by many here and everywhere with success and it's perfect for beginners. You have to be patient early on and really work on form but doing those exercises will help maximize muscle gain starting out.
  12. You're doing good, bro.

A couple things I'd suggest.

1) If you like eggs, eat them. Eggs aren't bad for you. I've been eating at least 3 eggs a day since I started and I'm in the best shape of my life. They pack more protein than oats and frankly taste a lot better. Dress them up with hot sauce/salsa and you have a great meal that keeps you feeling full.

2) Log on to myfitnesspal.com and track your caloric intake. I did this religiously and kept my intake between 1400-1700 calories a day. On top of that, I had a routine pretty similar to yours on the exercise front.

3) Ice cream is a serious weakness of mine too. I've found that Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches completely curb my desire for ice cream and they're tasty too. At 140 calories, it's a lot safer than trying to only have a small bowl of ice cream. Mexican food is another, so I pretty much stick to the grilled meat tacos when I dine out for Mexican. I haven't had a super burrito in months, but since I started tracking my calories I just can't justify eating something that has a tortilla that's over 300 calories by itself. I'd rather have 2 Skinny Cow sandwiches...LOL

My recipe for success has been to find foods that I enjoy eating (and are good for me) and eat the hell out of them. Eggs, chicken breast, pork, tuna, fruit, veggies have been a staple to my lifestyle change. Find the ones you like and go to town. The things that aren't good for you, find healthier substitutes that you enjoy so you don't feel cheated. You don't want to deny yourself anything because that leads to binge eating.

I did mostly cardio in the beginning. When I went from 265 to 200 it was almost all cardio with a couple weightlifting days mixed in each week. The weightlifting portion wasn't very serious. Now I'm around 175 and I've slowed down on my cardio and have increased my weightlifting. I'm pretty happy overall, but my stomach and chest still need a little work. I have some loose skin in my stomach area that may never improve, but I'd rather have that problem over having a huge gut.

You're doing great. Keep up the good work!
  13. Thanks a lot Kev and Ciz. The myfitnesspal site is awesome and I have started using it right away.

Ciz- great eating advice. I like eggs but cut them out due to having bad cholesterol. One egg takes up all I'm supposed to have for the day. Once I get that back to normal I will start introducing them back into my meal plan

14. skinny cow is a good low calorie ice cream..you can also try a brand call artic zero it's like 150 cals for a pint i believe.
  15. buncha meat heads itt. if you are not fat and you work out, you are seriously wasting your life. have fun gettin laid by aids infested pussy from some mediocre looking whore that you met at a local bar while wearing a shirt that was clearly too small but you didnt think about that because all you can do is look at yourself flexing in the mirror and cant see that your actually attracted to men, also your nipples are likely to be visible through your cut off t/whifebeater/laxpenny, you guys will prob be featured on the next episode of jersey shore.
  16. That was kind of a weird post, but hey GTL mfer.

So after a summer of 5 trials, coaching a baseball season and irregular visits to the gym, I am back in the gym on a regular schedule. Started back up this week after my wife decided she wanted on the same program. Started back a little lighter with focus on form again. Squats, OHP, BP, DL and BBR's. 6:00am comes pretty early, but if we don't do it then, it won't get done.

Weight goal is 230lbs by the end of October that's 20 more lbs. If I make it will mean 75lb weight loss in 10 months. That would make me very happy.
    Originally Posted by tb4rizzl View Post

buncha meat heads itt. if you are not fat and you work out, you are seriously wasting your life. have fun gettin laid by aids infested pussy from some mediocre looking whore that you met at a local bar while wearing a shirt that was clearly too small but you didnt think about that because all you can do is look at yourself flexing in the mirror and cant see that your actually attracted to men, also your nipples are likely to be visible through your cut off t/whifebeater/laxpenny, you guys will prob be featured on the next episode of jersey shore.

Cool story bro.
    Edited By: TiltinShoes Aug 30th, 2012 at 03:52 PM
    Originally Posted by 7HeAdShoTs View Post

Thanks a lot Kev and Ciz. The myfitnesspal site is awesome and I have started using it right away.

Ciz- great eating advice. I like eggs but cut them out due to having bad cholesterol. One egg takes up all I'm supposed to have for the day. Once I get that back to normal I will start introducing them back into my meal plan

Eggs whites.

I've done a lot of reading on eggs and cholesterol and have come to the conclusion that they do not necessarily increase your cholesterol. Lots of research done on this. Increase your Omega 3's, decrease your Omega 6 intake, lay off of sugars, and the cholesterol should start correcting itself....even if you are eating eggs.
  19. I dropped like 20 pounds just doing cardio and playing basketball, but now i've seemed to hit a wall and haven't been dropping weight the past week or so. I'm like 6'3 235 now, want to get down to like 215-220. I also want to get in the gym and improve my upper body strength because the guys at the park are pushing me around a little down low. I've never really been a lifter, just go to the gym and do cardio mostly to stay in shape, but I want to add some strength. Obviously I have to start at low weight etc. Any advice for what I should do/ how often.

I'm not trying to hit the gym all the time, prefer playing basketball and being outdoors while the weather is still nice, but want to go a couple times a week. My diet started out really good but I find myself falling back into bad habits, I'm a sucker for burgers and pizza. Thanks for any advice.
  20. amartin look into Stronglifts or Starting strength. They are very little time committments and for beginner lifters easily the most effective for gaining strength and muscle.

You have to learn how to squat and deadlift properly and that can take time but it's worth it.
  21. started week2 of insanity, havent missed a day yet. everything going well, extremely brutal still, but I can tell Im getting in better shape and able to do more each day. Ive always had strong legs, and I can tell this thing is going to shred my quads. I will probably lose the weight I wanted by the end of this, but Im going to destroy all my pants with fucking hulk thighs.

JB, you stiill hangin in there??
  22. slacked off a little end of week one cause i wasnt home everyday, but i hopped back into it today. Somehow still lost a little over 2lbs and i felt like I didnt do much at all (and im a wiz kid at losing weight).

I actually finished the video today without pausing and I couldnt do that when we did this same one last wednesday.

And lol at the quads. I was thinking the same thing. So much jumping and squatting. Legs are jelly post workout.
    Edited By: Jaybone2315 Sep 4th, 2012 at 04:01 AM
  23. just curious why you are pausing the videos. if its bc you need to rest, you should just let it keep playing and briefly rest when needed, the people in the videos cant even keep up for the entire time on all the moves. I think that is the point though. just get a quick rest and get back to it.
  24. BUMP FOR ADVICE...

I havent bothered to read this entire thread... But in July I decided to get back in shape again and have done a fairly decent job so far 230 to 210. I still have 17 pounds to go. 6'1.

Current Workout

I run 4 to 6 miles, 3 to 4 days a week.

2 to 3 days a week, I do the following:

1k jump ropes, 3 sets of curls, pushups, bodyweight squats, abs/leg-leglifts, military press, power clean, lunges. All I have is 25lb dumbells, I dont go to a gym.

What other exercises can/should I mix in? Is 1k jump ropes bad for the knees?

Am I doing this right?

diet is good, but for beer. but for beer, bread, beans, rice, nuts, spices and canned tuna - everything comes from the outside aisles at the grocery store. I think if you stick to the outside, you can eat pretty much whatever the fuck you want in moderation. Even bacon.
    Edited By: phish42O Sep 8th, 2012 at 07:27 AM
  25. On a bulking diet now. Just started a 9 month deployment and my goal is to weigh 185 by the end of the deployment. I currently weigh 167, up from 161 when we first arrived in theatre on August 3rd. It is easy to eat healthy as the dining facility here has great tasting good, with PLENTY of healthy nutrient dense options to choose from. I am in the gym 6 days a week, rought 1-1.5 hours a day.

I don't know about you guys, but watching motivational youtube videos really helps me get mentally prepared to give it all have. Drink my pre workout while watching certain videos works very well for me. I will post updates here randomly, good luck to everyone with their goals, enjoy this thread! (can't say that a whole lot anymore here :/)

Fav vid:
    Originally Posted by phish42O View Post

BUMP FOR ADVICE...

I havent bothered to read this entire thread... But in July I decided to get back in shape again and have done a fairly decent job so far 230 to 210. I still have 17 pounds to go. 6'1.

Current Workout

I run 4 to 6 miles, 3 to 4 days a week.

2 to 3 days a week, I do the following:

1k jump ropes, 3 sets of curls, pushups, bodyweight squats, abs/leg-leglifts, military press, power clean, lunges. All I have is 25lb dumbells, I dont go to a gym.

What other exercises can/should I mix in? Is 1k jump ropes bad for the knees?

Am I doing this right?

diet is good, but for beer. but for beer, bread, beans, rice, nuts, spices and canned tuna - everything comes from the outside aisles at the grocery store. I think if you stick to the outside, you can eat pretty much whatever the fuck you want in moderation. Even bacon.

i'd look into getting a decent kettlebell or two. you can do alot of what you are doing with one and its a lot easier too use than dumbbells.

i'd also get rid of curls and start doing pull ups/chin ups in your routine. I'd also start doing burpees (make sure you do it to a high standard and hit hte gorund everytime).

Those little tweaks will make a big difference. I'd also mix some of the bodyweight stuff when you are doing runs. I've been running to local playgrounds and doign pullups/dips etc on the equipment for workouts. tis a nice little twist to a jog.

also start messnig with double unders if you jump rope that much.
    Edited By: Slingtownorbust Sep 9th, 2012 at 05:22 PM
  27. thinking of implementing kettlebells to my workout. I've been focusing on compound exercises for the past few months. Anyone work out with kettlebells?
  28. Knee problems struck again earlier this week. I re-aggravated my right knee injury that I got doing the incline press back in January. Been slowly trying to test it harder. Day after the injury I was only able to do 2 minutes on elliptical before pain got too severe. Today, I was able to run for 20 minutes @ 6.5mph max. Did some shoulder work and tried to do another 20 minutes, but didn't even get a minute into it before pain came back. Went to exercise bike to finish off cardio.

Fuck that shit is frustrating. Again, it was after doing leg day. Not sure if it was the squats or lunges that fucked my knee up again, but I may stop doing squats. Despite getting a good workout, I don't think it's worth the potential knee wreckage.
    Originally Posted by Unforseen View Post

thinking of implementing kettlebells to my workout. I've been focusing on compound exercises for the past few months. Anyone work out with kettlebells?

90% of any cardio I do is all with kbells. If you havent already, look into Viking warrior conditioning.
  30. I live near the grocery store so I just walk there, and only buy what I can carry and eat in one week. if you can find a way to become more of a hunter/gatherer it will keep you from buying stuff like ice cream, chips, or other trash foods