[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. Here we go boys. Down to the Final Four. Im sure its pretty much what every expected coming in. So lets go.

Eastern Conference..

New York Rangers vs New Jersey Devils. Always fun and usually epic when these two meet. First time in Conference Final since the 1994 Playoffs. I think they've played three times since then in playoffs with Rangers winning two out of three. I actually like this matchup better for New York than the Capitals because the Devils D arent as good as Caps D men are IMO.. Kovalchuck is scary good when hes on and Parise is equally good.. I like the goalie matchup.. Rangers never make it easy. So again

Rangers in 7

Western Conference

Los Angeles Kings vs Phoenix Coyotes.

Maybe not the attractive matchup for non hockey fans but this is a great series. You got two of the hottest goalies in the league going at it. If you like hitting you'll love the Kings who hit everything and anything. Very similar teams actually.. I think it will be very competitve but the Phoenix Cinderella story comes to an end this round.

Los Angeles in 7.

WUG OT!!!!!!!!
    Add AFink93 to Rail
  2. Devs / Rangers should be sick - offensive edge for the Rangers, goaltending edge for the Devils.

Gonna just come down to execution, and who wants it more.
    Add kellykip to Rail
  3. You beat me by 3 minutes, I was writing this thread post while you made this thread, Unfortunately I did a final check before I hit submit.

Anyways

(that looks like it might hurt)
    vs

and

vs

#3 Phoenix Coyotes vs #8 Los Angeles Kings
    Both teams rely heavily on their goaltending but LA's offense since March 1st has been one of the best, playoffs included. I have no reason to think they will stop this. Mike Smith needs to continue his stellar play to beat LA, he shut down what turned out to be a somewhat dysfunctional Nashville team. Even though LA is the #8 seed they are now the favourite. Prediction LA in 6

#New York Rangers vs #6 New Jersey Devils
    Another Series where a goaltender (Lundqvist) won the series for NY vs a team (New Jersey) that beat a dysfunctional team (Philadelphia) Both teams are defensive minded but NJ has the advantage in offensive talent but NY has the advantage in net. Brodeur is good but I don't think he is good enough to beat Lundqvist and NY. Predicton, NY becomes the first team ever to win 3 game 7's in a row. (I could be wrong with that stat tho)
    Edited By: TMLMS13 May 13th, 2012 at 03:57 AM
    Add TMLMS13 to Rail
    Originally Posted by kellykip View Post

Devs / Rangers should be sick - offensive edge for the Rangers, goaltending edge for the Devils.

Gonna just come down to execution, and who wants it more.

Is this opposite town, or am I in the wrong district?

Add mhoddi to Rail
  5. Just having fun with AFink's 'pretty much what every expected coming in' line.

Most people I know did have Phoenix and the Devils in the conference finals.
    Add kellykip to Rail
  6. Kings were my pre-season Cup Winner Pick.. KK just giving me hard time about Henrik I know...
    Thread StarterAdd AFink93 to Rail
  7. lol - Henrik won tonight, so that's all that matters. If he wins a Cup, gonna be really hard to break balls about him.
    Add kellykip to Rail
  8. lol k, just making sure I'm not going crazy (or KK's not going crazy I should say)

Add mhoddi to Rail
  9. going with the devils in 6 and the coyotes in 7. I know dick about hockey tho.
    Add AMARTIN1181 to Rail
  10. When reality sinks in about getting to the Conference Finals, you realize that you are only half way (8/16) to winning the cup.
    Add TMLMS13 to Rail
  11. I love Henrik and all. But he will never replace Mike Richter as number 1 for me.. His perfomance not only for the Rangers in 94 but the 1996 World Cup of Hockey is still one of the best goaltending performances ive ever seen in the Finals vs Canada.
    Thread StarterAdd AFink93 to Rail
    Originally Posted by AMARTIN1181 View Post

going with the devils in 6 and the coyotes in 7. I know dick about hockey tho.

same here. (about the predictions - obviously i know a shitload about hockey)
    Add kellykip to Rail
  13. for entertainments sake im praying its not phx nj in the finals. NYR LA is definately the sexy matchup im cheering for.

i think nj takes it in 6 and la in 6

Add chancemcc to Rail
  14. blues in 5, rangers in 7, blues in 3

Add quietwinner to Rail
  15. Joisey in 6. Think the Rangers have run out of gas. Devils will score a couple of goals and just fore check the Rangers to Death.

KINGS. I strangely find myself cheering for these guys after they handed My Canucks a good old fashioned bitch slapping.
    They kind of remind me of the Chicago Black hawks a couple of years ago.
    Kings in 5. I just don't think Phoenix can beat these guys.
    Add CANUKEH44 to Rail
  16. Would like to see NYR vs LAK. Would be the Sutter vs Torterella final again.
    Add Spiltbongwater to Rail
  17. The Rangers have the odds against them. No team has ever played 14 games in the first 2 rounds and won the 3rd round. I picked them to make it out of the East in my bracket so I'm going to stick with them. I think it will be a hell of series based on how they played each other in the regular season. Rangers in 6.

As a Kings fan, this post season is crazy. Before it started, I picked them in my bracket vs the Rangers. That was more the homer in me picking though. Looking at the facts, they are now 21-6-3 since the trade for Carter including the playoffs. They have averaged 3 goals per game and 1.83 goals against in that time. The Coyotes are playing really well and have presented match up problems in the past using their speed against the Kings but that was against a different team. They last played 2 days before the big trade. I think the Kings win this one but I think it's more difficult than us fans are hoping for. Kings in 6.
    Add JET17 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Spiltbongwater View Post

Would like to see NYR vs LAK. Would be the Sutter vs Torterella final again.

+1 Devils won't make it easy for the Rangers.
    Add rebelfd to Rail
    Originally Posted by JET17 View Post

The Rangers have the odds against them. No team has ever played 14 games in the first 2 rounds and won the 3rd round. I picked them to make it out of the East in my bracket so I'm going to stick with them. I think it will be a hell of series based on how they played each other in the regular season. Rangers in 6.

As a Kings fan, this post season is crazy. Before it started, I picked them in my bracket vs the Rangers. That was more the homer in me picking though. Looking at the facts, they are now 21-6-3 since the trade for Carter including the playoffs. They have averaged 3 goals per game and 1.83 goals against in that time. The Coyotes are playing really well and have presented match up problems in the past using their speed against the Kings but that was against a different team. They last played 2 days before the big trade. I think the Kings win this one but I think it's more difficult than us fans are hoping for. Kings in 6.

Kings have a great team. They have done what Chicago did and what the Edmonton Oilers are doing now. Quietly building a strong team over 5 or 6 years through the draft and making the right trades.
    They are well managed and Sutter is a pretty good coach.
    The unfortunate thing is with the Salary cap and all of this great talent you can't hang on to it for too many years.
    The Hawks had to make this decision 2 yrs ago and ended up trading a few of their players in order to stay under the Cap.
    This has killed the Dynasty runs in the NHL. I just can't see a team repeating a Stanley Cup win unless the players decide to stay put and make less than they could elsewhere.
    If Los Angeles can win it will be great for Hockey in California.
    Add CANUKEH44 to Rail
    Originally Posted by CANUKEH44 View Post

Kings have a great team. They have done what Chicago did and what the Edmonton Oilers are doing now. Quietly building a strong team over 5 or 6 years through the draft and making the right trades.
    They are well managed and Sutter is a pretty good coach.
    The unfortunate thing is with the Salary cap and all of this great talent you can't hang on to it for too many years.
    The Hawks had to make this decision 2 yrs ago and ended up trading a few of their players in order to stay under the Cap.
    This has killed the Dynasty runs in the NHL. I just can't see a team repeating a Stanley Cup win unless the players decide to stay put and make less than they could elsewhere.
    If Los Angeles can win it will be great for Hockey in California.

They have 4 key guys locked up for a long time:
    Richards - 2020, Carter - 2022,Kopitar - 2016, Doughty - 2019

Brown is here for 2 more super cheap years and will most likely take another hometown discount to extend. He's just that type of guy. Williams is signed for 3 more years fairly cheap. If he continues with his current production and stays healthy, they have 5 out of their top 6 signed. Quick will be due for a big raise (deservedly so) but Penner and Stoll come off the books after the playoffs. That's 7.8mil extra to spend there. They have over 10 million in cap space going into next season if the cap doesn't go up which most think it will. They aren't close to the cap situation the Hawks got themselves into. I know dynasties are a thing of the past, but I think the Kings can put together a few good runs in the next couple years.

As far as Edmonton goes, they've built a nice offensive team but they need help on the back end or they'll be golfing early every year. If they get some quality defense, then yeah they will be a scary team in a couple years.
    Edited By: JET17 May 13th, 2012 at 06:46 AM
    Add JET17 to Rail

I'd sign up for that right now if it means the series will be even close to as good as Calgary/Tampa was.
    Add kellykip to Rail

So would NBC, two biggest TV markets in the US
    Add TMLMS13 to Rail
  23. They were replaying a game from late in the season LAK vs PHO with all sorts of fights and nastiness tonight, gettin me super pumped for this series. Both these teams are here due to stellar goaltending. The Kings have gotten a nice break in their paths having goalies crumble in front of them. Luongo, well lol there, and Elliot isn't built for carrying the entire load by himself. It will be interesting to see how they fare when they don't get that timely goal in this series. I've wanted to say LAK in 6, but now I'm just leaning Coyotes in 7 for no particular reason other than the Kings being on somewhat of a misleading path so far.

I'm gonna super disappointed if I don't see at least 2 different sets of players drop the gloves on the opening puck drop of this series. Rangers should roll. That's how the first 2 series have looked for them and neither have come true. Can the Devils create the needed offense without Brodeur Luongoing? Rangers in 7, too lazy to refer to certain stats right now.
    Add DBo Fo Sho to Rail
  24. Devils, LA imo but I've been about 50% so far so one of those will prob be wrong. Take your pick which :P

Looking forward to watching a bloodbath in the ECF. Goalie fight one time!
    Add Randinho to Rail
  25. As always its been a great playoffs. The 2nd round wasnt quite as exciting as first but thats expected. Im hoping for a NJ LAK final but TBH if it was PHX thatd be great for them and hopefully they can stabilize the situation there. Also with NYR its an exciting team and I really like Torts.
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  26. TML,

Not only has a team never won 3 game 7's in a row, no team has even won a series after winning the two previous series in 7 games. So, you are right with your stat, they would be the first to win 3 consecutive game 7s AND the first two win another series after back-to-back 7game series victories.

Anyway, the hockey should be good but I will admit that tonight and next Sunday I will be watching Game of Thrones instead of LA/PHO come 9pm, then I'll switch back.
    Edited By: NjDEVSFN95 May 13th, 2012 at 02:28 PM
    Add NjDEVSFN95 to Rail
    Originally Posted by JET17 View Post

They have 4 key guys locked up for a long time:
    Richards - 2020, Carter - 2022,Kopitar - 2016, Doughty - 2019

Brown is here for 2 more super cheap years and will most likely take another hometown discount to extend. He's just that type of guy. Williams is signed for 3 more years fairly cheap. If he continues with his current production and stays healthy, they have 5 out of their top 6 signed. Quick will be due for a big raise (deservedly so) but Penner and Stoll come off the books after the playoffs. That's 7.8mil extra to spend there. They have over 10 million in cap space going into next season if the cap doesn't go up which most think it will. They aren't close to the cap situation the Hawks got themselves into. I know dynasties are a thing of the past, but I think the Kings can put together a few good runs in the next couple years.

As far as Edmonton goes, they've built a nice offensive team but they need help on the back end or they'll be golfing early every year. If they get some quality defense, then yeah they will be a scary team in a couple years.

Wasn't sure about who they had locked up. Too friggin lazy to look it up. lol
    It's nice when you have a team of guys who enjoy playing together and make a commitment to stay together and win. They don't get greedy and are happy with their surroundings.
    Not even sure there will be a season. CBA is up so we may be into another lock out. I heard a couple of different things.
    The cap was going to drop and then I heard it was going up to 74 mill. The NHLPA has an accelerator which can add 5 mill to that so 79.
    We won't know anything until next month. I believe the NHL has to announce the cap before July 1st so the teams can plan accordingly for the free agent market.
    Add CANUKEH44 to Rail
  28. I don't get these concerns on the Rangers running out of gas. The Rangers are a very young team and their core defenseman, who log a ton of minutes, are 25 or younger. The Rangers are the most physically fit team in the NHL with the way Torts kills them in the off season. And with all the technology advancements in nutrition and healing, these guys will be perfectly fine.

Kings will win in the West, they have found their offensive game and they are more likely to crack the PHO defense then PHO is to crack the LA defense.

Kings in 6.
    Rangers in 6.

Add Leet8s to Rail
    Originally Posted by DBo Fo Sho View Post

They were replaying a game from late in the season LAK vs PHO with all sorts of fights and nastiness tonight, gettin me super pumped for this series.

that was one hell of a game- i was fired up the whole 60 minutes. i expect a lot more of the same tonight, with both teams trying to set the tone and impose their will on the other. split the season series 3-3 so it should be a good one. GO KINGS GO!
    Add marc1313 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Leet8s View Post

I don't get these concerns on the Rangers running out of gas. The Rangers are a very young team and their core defenseman, who log a ton of minutes, are 25 or younger. The Rangers are the most physically fit team in the NHL with the way Torts kills them in the off season. And with all the technology advancements in nutrition and healing, these guys will be perfectly fine.

Kings will win in the West, they have found their offensive game and they are more likely to crack the PHO defense then PHO is to crack the LA defense.

Kings in 6.
    Rangers in 6.

Don't forget even if it is worse than dying from cancer, If the Devils go into that forecheck spazz out the Rangers won't be able to free wheel their way around the rink. Not saying they aren't a good team because they are but you also have to put into play that Marty Brodeure is welllllllllll. Just effing amazing.
    Add CANUKEH44 to Rail