[x]

See Where You Rank in New Jersey

  1. Who's going to be watching the Olympics? I see based on London time alot of events are going to be at like 5am Eastern. Any of you folks waking up early to watch?

    I'm assuming NBC is going to be re-airing alot of stuff for USA but with the Interwebs I'll know the results before hand which takes most of the fun out of watching it.

    Also does anyone know when opening ceremony is Friday? I see it posted as 4pm eastern in one place but on NBC it says 7:30? Are they just re-airing it at 7:30?
  2. I seen somewhere it starts at 2pm eastern. That place is google.
    Edited By: Gotskillz Jul 23rd, 2012 at 08:17 PM
     
  3. I'll be watching as much as i can - always enjoy seeing the elite athletes of the world compete.

    Wonder what people's opinion is regarding the incredible security costs for the games. I recall there being a huge outcry in Canada over the security costs in Vancouver. I heard the other night that security in London is estimated to cost $1.5 Billion.

    Does it reach a point where we just say fuck it - can't afford it, or is it a worthwhile expense to have all the nations of the world gathered to compete and show off their talent regardelss of cost?
  4. doesnt everyone wtach the olympics
  5.  
    Originally Posted by Popperhead View Post

    doesnt everyone wtach the olympics


    Not at 5am
    Thread Starter
  6. I got up/stayed up when I was 10 to watch Canada play hockey at 3am at the 1998 Nagano Olympics
  7.  
    Originally Posted by poker4tuition View Post

    Who's going to be watching the Olympics? I see based on London time alot of events are going to be at like 5am Eastern. Any of you folks waking up early to watch?

    I'm assuming NBC is going to be re-airing alot of stuff for USA but with the Interwebs I'll know the results before hand which takes most of the fun out of watching it.

    Also does anyone know when opening ceremony is Friday? I see it posted as 4pm eastern in one place but on NBC it says 7:30? Are they just re-airing it at 7:30?

    NBC is the worst when it comes to Olympic broadcasting. It's not that the commentators or the broadcasts themselves suck. They just don't believe in doing it live. I wish they had the main channel for the people who are casual fans who will watch the recorded shit when they get off of work and an actual live feed for the rest of us. I like my sporting events live - even at 3AM.
  8. I love the Olympics and will be watching as many events live as possible.
     
    9
  9.  
    Originally Posted by p00pymcp00perton View Post

    NBC is the worst when it comes to Olympic broadcasting. It's not that the commentators or the broadcasts themselves suck. They just don't believe in doing it live. I wish they had the main channel for the people who are casual fans who will watch the recorded shit when they get off of work and an actual live feed for the rest of us. I like my sporting events live - even at 3AM.

    I've always wondered why NBC rarely shows live events during the Olympics. What's up with that?
  10. because they still believe that people won't find out the result until they show it on TV, so it doesn't matter if it is on tape because no one knows who won.


  11. 1
  12. Last summer Olympics I would stay up after playing poker to watch Phelps ship medals.
  13.  
    Originally Posted by p00pymcp00perton View Post

    NBC is the worst when it comes to Olympic broadcasting. It's not that the commentators or the broadcasts themselves suck. They just don't believe in doing it live. I wish they had the main channel for the people who are casual fans who will watch the recorded shit when they get off of work and an actual live feed for the rest of us. I like my sporting events live - even at 3AM.

    Dont they do this on MSNBC or NBC sports or some shit? I rememember watching something like speed walking live during the last olympics.

     
    Originally Posted by cmval View Post

    Last summer Olympics I would stay up after playing poker to watch Phelps ship medals.

    I think I watch all of phelps medal wins in the poker room at caesars lol.
  14. Didn't they already DO the Olympics a few years ago? Now we have to watch all that crap AGAIN?
  15. im so geeked. love the oly's tons.

    more gold for local gal mariel zagunis, obv

  16. Ashton's an Oregonian too. Not Ptown area but let the kid breath
    1
  17. Beijing was awful with the news being broken on every site and channel hours before the coverage, barely watched because of it.
  18. whats the buyin ?
  19. so pumped for this.
  20.  
    Originally Posted by LostProphets View Post

    Beijing was awful with the news being broken on every site and channel hours before the coverage, barely watched because of it.

    That is what was great about West Coast North America Olympics. Their morning/early afternoon was late enough that I could be home from school, their mid afternoon was east coast evening and I'm awake until midnight every day anyways. And with the Canadian Government allowing multiple channels to broadcast events I didn't have to be tied to just one channel's broadcast.
    Edited By: TMLMS13 Jul 24th, 2012 at 04:23 PM
  21. 7 24-hour streaming HD channels with everything live and then replays when live events aren't on. There's at least something good about living in the Third World.
  22.  
    Originally Posted by Reech View Post

    im so geeked. love the oly's tons.

    more gold for local gal mariel zagunis, obv

    I'd stick her.
  23.  
    Originally Posted by saxman View Post

    I'll be watching as much as i can - always enjoy seeing the elite athletes of the world compete.

    Wonder what people's opinion is regarding the incredible security costs for the games. I recall there being a huge outcry in Canada over the security costs in Vancouver. I heard the other night that security in London is estimated to cost $1.5 Billion.

    Does it reach a point where we just say fuck it - can't afford it, or is it a worthwhile expense to have all the nations of the world gathered to compete and show off their talent regardelss of cost?

    Yeah. My sister teaches on an air force base in England. She's home now for a few weeks and she keeps saying "Wow. They are going to have so many problems over there." I hope she's wrong, but I doubt it.
  24.  
    Originally Posted by setherson2 View Post



    ESPN just did a sports science on the decathlon and I think it was this dude... they said if he ran the 40 yard dash doing the hurdles he would beat darren sproles and sproles is a 4.4
  25.  
    Originally Posted by DAWS View Post

    ESPN just did a sports science on the decathlon and I think it was this dude... they said if he ran the 40 yard dash doing the hurdles he would beat darren sproles and sproles is a 4.4

    Yeah, a couple years ago or so he told me they tested the 40 (because a few football guys ran track with him and they were working on it) and his time was something absurd. Like 4.24 or something. Can't remember exactly.
    1
  26. I'm really looking forward to an american taking home the shot put gold, first time since 1996 post-suspension randy barnes. I was just looking at wiki and the USA has taken silver every single olympics since 1984 lol, but gold only twice since 1968, stulce/barnes in the 90's.

    cantwell is the world leader this year but that's a familiar story. I think he's got a ~73-4 this season and he really isn't that young anymore so hopefully this is his year. the cantwell/myerscough battles a few years ago in the Big 12 were some of my favorites. myerscough is still competing as a brit, qualified the B-standard (20.00) this year.

    for the shit of it, best shot put comp ever, even though the bastard germans won. legends from across decades colliding here:


    anybody else throw shot put? 56-4 in hs
  27. Looking forward to them now. Hopefully get to a few events.

    Pretty sure the opening ceremony starts at 9.30 our time. Think that is 4.30 eastern
  28. im just hoping a "terrorist" attack doesnt happen.

    been a little of sketchy shit to raise flags
     
  29. lol I love how you have terrorist in paranthesis.

    clearly one of these government is just waiting for another false flag attack