[x]

See Where You Rank in Washington

1. Hello,

As a new homeowner, I am trying to get an idea for the costs of these things. I have tried google, not helpful for this particular subject, as these type of companies seem to be fairly small and don't advertise online.

We have 3 palm trees that need trimming pretty badly, they have dead palms dropped into our yard, and they are fairly tall, at least 40 feet I would estimate. Well a certified arborist came by and gave us an estimate, and we practically kicked him off our yard. The short tree outfront would cost $60 to trim & de-seed, and the 2 outback which are taller were listed as $340 total, so 400 fucking dollars to trim our 3 palm trees.

What have you paid in the past for this?

I have had semi-homeless type people come up on a bike and offer to do it for $5 a tree, but who knows what we would get from there, but there has to be a happy medium, like $25 or $30 a tree...
    Add that_pope to Rail
  2. obv brag about living somewhere warm enough to grow palm trees.
    Add Camronius to Rail
  3. not that difficult to climb a tree with some shears......
    Add tekiller to Rail
  4. call <a target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2c9_1213955587">this guy
    </a>
    Add imhooks to Rail
  5. just pay someone to remove them, they're ugly as shit
    Add DaVols to Rail
  6. why not give the $5 guys a shot?
    Add emcee21 to Rail
    Originally Posted by emcee21 View Post

why not give the $5 guys a shot?

thats what I was thinking too. Give him $5 if he does a shitty job on the first tree, then don't let him do any others. Really it's $5..... big deal.
    Add Camronius to Rail
  8. I live here in Phoenix too &amp; I was reading in the paper the other day about this being one of the most hazardous jobs around. They run into angry birds trying to defend nests, bee hives, &amp; lots of other crazy dangerous insects and whatnot. Not to mention the possibility of falling 40 feet.

IMO, the first proposal sounds about right for that kind of work. Instead of the $5 people I'd call some more reputable people &amp; see if they can beat the price you were already quoted.

Wish I could give you a reference, but I don't personally have any palms. I could ask around &amp; get back to you if you want.
    Add Skyler to Rail
  9. That price sound reasonable compared to what we pay for trimming our trees, a couple of which are 40ft Cottonwoods. I don't know be Palms would be much less.

Just get several bids.
    Add Willywoo to Rail
  10. Reputable? What the fuck? It's trimming trees.
    Add emcee21 to Rail
  11. Yes, just trimming trees, but what if one of these random people off the street doesn't know what they're doing? They fall, get all busted up, &amp; then call an ambulance chasing lawyer &amp; sue the pants off you. I'm sure it happens all the time.

How does saving a little bit of money sound now as opposed to hiring a reputable company?
    Add Skyler to Rail
  12. This seems like it could happen even if you go with a more dignified, highly-esteemed yard worker.
    Add emcee21 to Rail
  13. not sure where you live but i would guess 85-100 a tree is fair. in calif. the comp rate on tree climbers is about 65cents on the dollar and a climber makes 25-30 an hour so the employee cost is prolly 40-45 an hour per employee also is the debri being removed. if you belive the cost is 25-30 a tree just do 1 yourself than re-evaluate the cost. and also if you hire anyone to do a job on your propertyt you are now responsible for their well being.
    Add polariss to Rail
  14. just remember the homeless bums can sue you if they fall from the 40 ft tree.....id imagine the reputable sub contractors waive litigation.....if they dont wake a fucking bum up with a jackson and tell him to get to work
    Add KCKyle to Rail
  15. he cant sue if you bury him after.
    Add Camronius to Rail
  16. I'll do it for $500/tree plus free beer.
    Add dandickau to Rail
  17. DIAGF
    Thread StarterAdd that_pope to Rail
  18. I own a house in the Dominican Republic and had the same problem... i just paid 2 haitians $30 each to take down a couple trees and trim a few more ;)
    Add Necro to Rail
  19. I asked shorty jacksn what he does and he acted confused for a minute, then replied, &quot;'Trim'? I usually just shave my palms when it gets that bad.&quot;
    Add norcaljeff to Rail
  20. I live in Scottsdale, and just got 8 trees trimmed and bark skinned for $300 on friday. alstree.com. insured, bonded, licensed, and workman's comp, so if something were to happen, I doubt litigation would follow.

I had a coupon for 10% off, and the arborist's name who did the estimate was keith. So you may want to ask for him, considering he kind of hooked the bark trimming up(originally said it would be $380, ended up being $300).

But it really all depends on how long ago your trees were trimmed, ours were trimmed about 10 months ago. Quite a few climbers die each year here and in cali due to trees going years without being cut. The buildup of dead fronds sometimes fall after being cut, and smothers the hooked in climber and suffocation/death occur. This is more common then climbers falling to their death. I read all about it cuz I was just going to hire some guy who left his card here for $20 a tree, but realized I might have a lawsuit on my hands if something were to happen.
    Add MangosPapa to Rail
    Originally Posted by MangosPapa View Post

I live in Scottsdale, and just got 8 trees trimmed and bark skinned for $300 on friday. alstree.com. insured, bonded, licensed, and workman's comp, so if something were to happen, I doubt litigation would follow.

I had a coupon for 10% off, and the arborist's name who did the estimate was keith. So you may want to ask for him, considering he kind of hooked the bark trimming up(originally said it would be $380, ended up being $300).

But it really all depends on how long ago your trees were trimmed, ours were trimmed about 10 months ago. Quite a few climbers die each year here and in cali due to trees going years without being cut. The buildup of dead fronds sometimes fall after being cut, and smothers the hooked in climber and suffocation/death occur. This is more common then climbers falling to their death. I read all about it cuz I was just going to hire some guy who left his card here for $20 a tree, but realized I might have a lawsuit on my hands if something were to happen.

I didn't know they had a website, but als trees were who we had the estimate done by...and we also had a 10% off coupon. And yes, they were poorly maintained because the people who sold us the house rented it out for 2 years before deciding to get rid of the house. Some wind a few weeks ago knocked about 15 old palms off two trees, and they still look pretty much the same...
  22. Conclusion. I called my Mom's 'brother' last week who schedules all the site services for banks around the valley to hook me up with his palm tree guy and if he could get me a deal. He said sure, and I never heard back from him, and on Saturday when I was out mowing the lawn, a guy came up and said he cut palm trees, but he wasn't the guy sent by my 'Uncle'.

He looked into our backyard, and said he would do those for $30 apiece, and he went to work. He then skinned and trimmed the front one for $60 which was more because it was thicker around and much harder to skin. So instead of paying $400 for the three trees, got some random guy (not homeless or mexican) to do it for $120. And no he didn't fall and break his back and sue me. Win Win Win.
  23. HOLY SHIT @ THAT! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Add Autolobotomist to Rail