[x]

See Where You Rank in Washington

  1. Its Adam and Eve, not Larry and Steve.
  2. I wonder how he worked that into sending him money, those guys are amazing at fund raising.
  3.  
    Originally Posted by SyphonSoul View Post

    why is it standard for you to skip posting your thoughts on op and just comment on other takes?

    is this abnormal or something? I've never really thought about it or noticed it before. that is exactly what you did ITT tho. anyways, I feel like I respond to plenty of OP related posts on the reg...

    it's not like this OP is some kind of thought provoking topic, just a bigot to laugh at. the fun is in the responses.
    Edited By: TheWacoKidd May 21st, 2012 at 10:48 PM
  4. With all these gay rights discussions going on...I'm a little naive on the subject.

    What rights exactly does the government deny the gays?
  5. the right to marry the person of their choice
    Edited By: XXEDPXX May 21st, 2012 at 10:55 PM
  6. Pastor says all gays should be locked in electrified pen

    Well, thats one way for him to control HIS urges . . . seriously, don't ALL the folks raging against the queers eventually get caught in some compromising position? This guy has probably stuck one in ass of a congregant already, and just doesn't want to risk his cash-cow by getting caught.
  7. Some of the major ones are adoption rights, hosiptal vistation and medical rights, and laws lacking against discrimination in the workplace and school.
  8. That's it? Seems kind of silly really. I've been married for 15 years, and honestly, it was basically just a ceremony that anyone could have. Any two people can dress up, have a party, and pay someone to give out the I Do's. What does law have to do with it.

    My wife is from Laos and most of the Laotian community are "married" but not in the "legal" sense.

    The "right" to "marry" is seems like a bunch of hyperbole.
    Edited By: XquiziVex May 21st, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    Reason: this was in response to ED.
  9. I'm fine with the government instituting this as long as they fund the electricity via cuts in the budget and not tax hikes.
  10.  
    Originally Posted by Cesporz View Post

    Some of the major ones are adoption rights, hosiptal vistation and medical rights, and laws lacking against discrimination in the workplace and school.


    Are these rights you list government policies, or corporate policies?
  11.  
    Originally Posted by XquiziVex View Post

    With all these gay rights discussions going on...I'm a little naive on the subject.

    What rights exactly does the government deny the gays?

    The right to equality under the law.
     3
  12.  
    Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post

    The right to equality under the law.


    Aside from these laws being passed that ban gay marriage, are there other laws on the books that deny equality?
  13.  
    Originally Posted by XquiziVex View Post

    That's it? Seems kind of silly really. I've been married for 15 years, and honestly, it was basically just a ceremony that anyone could have. Any two people can dress up, have a party, and pay someone to give out the I Do's. What does law have to do with it.

    My wife is from Laos and most of the Laotian community are "married" but not in the "legal" sense.

    The "right" to "marry" is seems like a bunch of hyperbole.

    i dont know what all the rights are that are granted to legal spouses, but when u find them out, u may rethink it being just a ceremony that anyone could have.
    Edited By: AmSlim22 May 21st, 2012 at 11:08 PM
     
  14. Both. I mean adoption is a states issue and people who move from one state to another where they do not allow a gay couple to have children wont recognize both parents. Or when they adopt only one of them is the rightful guardian. This is a big deal for many couples. The discrimination is both and changing. Until recently there were not laws that proteted gays from being fired for just being gay. In the education system this is still a huge issue. So many gay teachers are fired for being gay because the community thinks the gay teacher is automatically a pedophile and trying to convert the youth which is complete bullshit. The hospital rights are also a big deal since family members can have the partner removed. There are many stories where the partner couldnt make the medical choices for their partner like other heterosexual couples.
    Edited By: Cesporz May 21st, 2012 at 11:10 PM
  15.  
    Originally Posted by XquiziVex View Post

    That's it? Seems kind of silly really. I've been married for 15 years, and honestly, it was basically just a ceremony that anyone could have. Any two people can dress up, have a party, and pay someone to give out the I Do's. What does law have to do with it.

    My wife is from Laos and most of the Laotian community are "married" but not in the "legal" sense.

    The "right" to "marry" is seems like a bunch of hyperbole.

    How am I supposed to respond to this seriously?
  16.  
    Originally Posted by XquiziVex View Post

    Aside from these laws being passed that ban gay marriage, are there other laws on the books that deny equality?

    Yes. Tax laws for one.
     3
  17. Hmmmm... I guess there are a few:

    Tax Benefits

    Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
    Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.
    Estate Planning Benefits
    Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
    Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
    Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
    Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.
    Government Benefits

    Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
    Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
    Receiving public assistance benefits.
    Employment Benefits

    Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
    Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
    Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
    Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.
    Medical Benefits
    Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
    Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.


    Death Benefits

    Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
    Making burial or other final arrangements.

    Family Benefits

    Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
    Applying for joint foster care rights.
    Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
    Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.

    Housing Benefits

    Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
    Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.

    Consumer Benefits

    Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
    Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
    Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.


    Other Legal Benefits and Protections

    Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
    Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
    Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
    Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
    Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
    Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.
  18. Government should leave "marriage" to the Churches . . . that way any two adults can enter into a legal contract any time they choose. Government needs to get out of the "marriage" business altogether. Everything else becomes legislative change after that. Stroke of a pen stuff . . . and the religious nutters will have no leg to stand on.
  19.  
    Originally Posted by XXEDPXX View Post

    How am I supposed to respond to this seriously?

    I seriously admitted I am naive on this subject, and was thinking out loud. No need to respond.. I lurned myself.
  20. XquiziVex, folks.

    EDIT: oh.
    Edited By: TheWacoKidd May 21st, 2012 at 11:17 PM
  21. Yeah, pretty bad when someone professes ignorancce then goes out and gets the knowledge and shares it with all. Wait, what
  22. EFFFFF YOU OT BASSSSTTTEEERRRDDSSS!!!! EFFFIN' HOMOS!!! (there's nothing wrong with that)
  23. Geeze, Another frickin' Idiot. Live and Let live . Maybe they should lock Him in a Wellsley Ave Bath House with a bunch of BeefCakes. I am sure he would come out a new Man.
  24.  
    Originally Posted by SyphonSoul View Post

    its hilarious to me to read shit like this. And you know there isnt a hell because......why, how? Makes you the same hypocritical fool that overzealous religious people are. You dont know dick, just like people who practice religion dont know dick. Lets just say we'll wait and see.

    I am sitting here typing this post with one hand and I have an apple in the other. When I finish typing, I am going to release my grip on the apple and see what happens. I think it is going to fall to floor and I am confident enough to make the statement "the apple will fall to the floor". I am sure that my opinion on this is equally as hilarious to you as the statement "there is no hell". You could then say "And you know it isn't going to float because...why, how? Just because all investigations in physics lead you to that conclusion doesn't mean that the apple will not float. You don't know dick, just like people who practice physics don't know dick. Lets just wait and see what happens to the apple."

    We can not know exactly what is going to happen. We can however be justified in the beliefs that we hold through observation and experimentation and can then develop a domain of expertise and reach objective conclusions. Why can I say that the apple will not float with as much confidence as I can say there is no hell? Because there is no evidence to suggest that either will occur and there is sufficient reason to believe that neither will occur.
     
  25.  
    Originally Posted by CANUKEH44 View Post

    Live and Let live.

    Impossible.
  26.  
    Originally Posted by qjuice14 View Post

    I am sitting here typing this post with one hand and I have an apple in the other. When I finish typing, I am going to release my grip on the apple and see what happens. I think it is going to fall to floor and I am confident enough to make the statement "the apple will fall to the floor". I am sure that my opinion on this is equally as hilarious to you as the statement "there is no hell". You could then say "And you know it isn't going to float because...why, how? Just because all investigations in physics lead you to that conclusion doesn't mean that the apple will not float. You don't know dick, just like people who practice physics don't know dick. Lets just wait and see what happens to the apple."

    We can not know exactly what is going to happen. We can however be justified in the beliefs that we hold through observation and experimentation and can then develop a domain of expertise and reach objective conclusions. Why can I say that the apple will not float with as much confidence as I can say there is no hell? Because there is no evidence to suggest that either will occur and there is sufficient reason to believe that neither will occur.

    All this apple talk got me thinking



    If she was a lesbian and I married her, would that make me in favor of gay marriage?
    Or would all the empirical evidence still point to me being hetero?
  27.  
    Originally Posted by qjuice14 View Post

    I am sitting here typing this post with one hand and I have an apple in the other. When I finish typing, I am going to release my grip on the apple and see what happens. I think it is going to fall to floor and I am confident enough to make the statement "the apple will fall to the floor". I am sure that my opinion on this is equally as hilarious to you as the statement "there is no hell". You could then say "And you know it isn't going to float because...why, how? Just because all investigations in physics lead you to that conclusion doesn't mean that the apple will not float. You don't know dick, just like people who practice physics don't know dick. Lets just wait and see what happens to the apple."

    We can not know exactly what is going to happen. We can however be justified in the beliefs that we hold through observation and experimentation and can then develop a domain of expertise and reach objective conclusions. Why can I say that the apple will not float with as much confidence as I can say there is no hell? Because there is no evidence to suggest that either will occur and there is sufficient reason to believe that neither will occur.

    that entire post makes no sense you have witnessed gravity and the apple falling .. you have never witnessed the other thing you speak of so therefore you cannot say either way.
     
  28. I think that's exactly what he said.
  29.  
    Originally Posted by XquiziVex View Post

    I think that's exactly what he said.

    lol I skimmed over it just assuming that someone was being illogical
     
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4