1. Hey All,

Looking for career moves- I am 25 and an assistant restaurant manager. I make decent $$ mid 40s, but I work 65 hr weeks and work 2pm-2:30am. The money is OK, but not for the hours. I was thinking i'd be better off with a 9-5 (or similar) and getting something on the side to supplement. Any serious ideas?

thx

PS this might happen in a year when i move to cali

PPS have a degree in marketing, hospitality and love people but dislike the hours i work now. wouldnt mind something like 9-7pm or so, but my hours/pay ratio sucks now. i love food/wine/sales and i think the green industry is hot right now
    Add davester to Rail
  2. california job market is beyond shit right now, and the state is fucking bankrupt thanks to unreal incompetence by our state govt. don't quit your job unless you have something else locked up 100% guaranteed. glgl.
    Add marc1313 to Rail
  3. A different forum?
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  4. My dad was the GM of red lobster for about 20 years. I recently learned he was making around 100k a year with stock options and benefits and all that stuff. He quit 3 years ago because he absolutely hated it. He was working 60-70 hours a week and could not stand it. He took a restaurant that was at the bottom of the charts and made it to the top five but he always got bitched at for something. He quit and started his own business which is a beer distributor. He told me the money is not even comparable but he loves it. He says he has never been happier.

Do whatever will make you happy man.
    Good luck
    Add 2catch2 to Rail
  5. u gave us no info about what skills you have, education, other careers u might be interested in, family commitments? this is all very relevant to getting decent answers.
    Add curiousgeorge to Rail
  6. It really doesn't matter what you do considering what your salary is. It's pretty much entry level at any non hopitality (hotel), or restaurant gig. I mean any job you get in the corporate world will pretty much start you off at $40k and this is 40hrs a week so looks like that would be a major boost since you are at 65hrs a week or so. I don't think it will be that hard to move laterally, you might run into problems with cost of living in California though. Rent alone will eat you alive. More info on specifics involving your future goals would be helpful.
    Add jcpeace to Rail
  7. Just PM your resume and I'll give it a looksee
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  8. Just open your own place.
    Add baughman to Rail
  9. Just whip it out, if they like it they'll take to it, if they don't, you'll prolly get sexual harassment charges

EDIT: WRONG TOPIC lol
    Add OMGitsBEAST to Rail
    Originally Posted by OMGitsBEAST View Post

Just whip it out, if they like it they'll take to it, if they don't, you'll prolly get sexual harassment charges

^^^ Works

EDIT: WRONG TOPIC lol

Add jcpeace to Rail
  11. The title says yer a manager but then I open up the thread and you say yer an assistant manager. Dwight Schrute, is this you?
    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
    Originally Posted by DONKWOOD View Post

The title says yer a manager but then I open up the thread and you say yer an assistant manager. Dwight Schrute, is this you?

that must make this the "Dwight Schrute workspace" then
    Add jcpeace to Rail
  13. Your better off getting into the hotel industry at this point. You might have to take a small pay dip at first or something but it's better long term and you're going to have a lot more options.
    Add Futon to Rail
  14. I moved to an office gig from restaurant management several years ago. You will be excited about the normal hours and weekends off at first, then you will start to hate it and wish you were back at the rest. Grass is always greener, etc.

My advice: go where the money is, pretty much all jobs will get old after a while.
    Add Glo4m to Rail
    Originally Posted by Glo4m View Post

I moved to an office gig from restaurant management several years ago. You will be excited about the normal hours and weekends off at first, then you will start to hate it and wish you were back at the rest. Grass is always greener, etc.

My advice: go where the money is, pretty much all jobs will get old after a while.

"Office gig"??? Michael Scott is now here!! Where's Pam!!! we all need a receptionist! Big Tuna FTW
    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
  16. OP, I was a restaurant manager making $45k while I was in college. My last semester, senior year, I worked >65 hours/week opening a new restaurant. I was there until 3AM Thursday-Sunday and midnight Tuesday and Wednesday. I got a "real job" ~6 months after graduation and I'm still here. I started at $45k and I'm making $52k after 1.5 years. I am underpaid for my position, but I am WAY under-qualified so it evens out. I'm getting great experience (project manager/business manager) which supplements the lack of pay.

Sometimes I miss the restaurant business, others I don't. I'm sure you understand by now that it's much more than a job, it's a lifestyle. You're in a high-stress environment all the time surrounded by people who often have substance abuse problems and usually no long-term goals in their lives. I think NOT falling into that pattern is the key to happiness if you're going to stay in the hospitality industry. I also found it very difficult to maintain a "normal" social life while working in restaurants. Again, your schedule is dramatically different than everyone else you know aside from your colleagues.

Cliffs:

-Money is basically the same

-Pros/Cons to both situations

-M-F work week >>>> Getting off at 2AM all the time

-There are hidden perks working in the restaurant business that you'll miss once you switch (IE: Free food/drinks, meeting ton's of bitches, casual working environment, etc)
    Add elusively to Rail
    Originally Posted by baughman View Post

Just open your own place.

Add businessclass to Rail
    Originally Posted by marc1313 View Post

california job market is beyond shit right now

probably looking at double digit unemployment till 2012-2013. Stay away from cali if possible unless you have something locked up.
    Add bettntibetn to Rail