1. I am trying to get a feel for how much the typical/average professional wedding photographer charges for his services.

When I googled it, I got a pretty wildly varying array of results, from ones that charge anywhere from only like $500 all the way to $4,000+, so, I figured I should just ask you guys, so I can get a decent sample size and figure out a rough average of how much the average one costs.

For those who are curious, I'm not asking because I'm about to get married (lol), I'm asking because I'm thinking about maybe becoming a wedding photographer some day, if my medical condition ever improves, since it seems like a pretty awesome job. Like, if the avg wedding photographer makes $1,500 let's say, then, even doing just 1 wedding a week, you're already making 75k a year, which is pretty incredible for only having to actually go to work 1 day a week (plus it's not in an office or anything, and it's all festive and semi-fun sorta kinda sorta and obv you get to perv out hardcore on the bridesmaids/random hotties that are always randomly at weddings and take stealth-pics of them that you keep just for your own persional spank stash that you just keep to yourself and don't show to the wedding people ever or anything obv and nobody will ever know about those pics except you, so it's like harmless perv-fun pretty much, nobody gets hurt or made to feel uncomfortable or photographically-raped by it or anything, if you do it stealth-style and never show those pics to anyone ever, but you still get to have the best spank material for yourself evar constantly, just like, crazy sick-deep cleavage shots and chicks asses in their tight fancy dresses and the occasional upskirt when they are turning to get out of their chair maybe. I mean, unless they noticed you doing that, but, if you were a pro you could def stealth the fuck out of it with like a 300mm telephoto lens from all the way across the banquet hall like 100+ feet away and nobody would ever know that you were taking a few perv-shots interspersed in there throughout the night or anything, I mean, unless you were just totally blatant or retarded about it. Anyways, I'm getting a little sidetracked here.

Anyway so, I'm guessing that the more weddings you do, and build up a better and better portfolio of photos of your work on previous weddings you've done, then, the more you can charge, if you're good at it, since when people are looking for a wedding photographer, obv they probly look through the portfolio of his previous work on his website to see how good he is/compare his portfolio to other cheaper/more expensive wedding photographer's portfolio to decide if they want to hire him to do their wedding, so, once you have a sick ass portfolio, you get to charge a higher fee, the further and further along your career you go, due to having a sicker and sicker portfolio of previous work to display on your website probly. So, maybe you start off as a $500 chump, and then a few years later once you have a nice portfolio of top notch work, now you're charging $2,000 a wedding or something. I dunno, I mean, this is just wild guesswork, I have no actual idea, thus, this thread.

edit: Oh, btw, please say what year your wedding was, (since obv if it was in like 1975 or something, then I know I have to multiply whatever it was by like 8 for inflation, or if it was like 1985 then I'd have to multiply by like 2, or if it was like 1995 I have to multiply it by like 1.5 or something, etc, btw lol @ how much more you have to multiply by in the mid 70's compared to the mid 80's for inflation all cuz of Jimmy Carter's intense faggotry in the late 70's or whatever, damn, fuck that guy... Then again un-fuck inflation, since my great grandparents almost bought this beach house a long ass time ago that was on sale for $300 (not a typo, literally three hundred dollars), like, they were about to sign the thingie and buy it, but randomly changed their minds at the last second to buy some slightly cheaper one somewhere else, and now the one that they didn't buy costs like $30 mil and is one of the most expensive beach houses on the entire west coast so if they would've signed on it we would've had like 30 extra mil randomly just cuz of inflation, that would've been an even sicker starting-roll-to-ending-roll-overall-ROI than like genius28, lolotrickedu, bldswttrs and urindanger COMBINED... wtf. Then again they DIDN'T actually buy it and instead bought some other house that was just some random regular house that didn't go up by a factor of 100,000, so, fuck inflation for its depressing what-could-have-been-aments and anti-climactic close-but-no-cigar-Jewishancestry/herritagemoneywetdreamsaments and so forth. Fucking sigh.) Anyways, this is getting kind of derailed again, this bold section was only supposed to be like 1 or 2 lines thick, but yea, so, say roughly what year or decade your shit happened in so I can figure shit out or whatever when you say how much your wedding photographer cost or whatevers. thx

(also, I just wanted to appologize in advance to Bill Mueller for this OP (sorry! (lolz)))
    Add bfactor to Rail
  2. Wow! Your op shoulda been blank since the title asks everything you want to know. But to answer your question:

2008, in Newport, RI, including the picture book and DVD copies of all high Rez photos that we own, it costs 5700. That was the main photographer and his helper who took a few pics. They took pics from 2p as getti g ready through midnight.
    Add heavykiddy to Rail
  3. 0.

We had a tiny wedding.

LOL at thinking a wedding photographer only works one day cause thats the only day theyre taking pictures. It's much more work than you're thinking.
    Add goofy2485 to Rail
    Originally Posted by heavykiddy View Post

Wow! Your op shoulda been blank since the title asks everything you want to know. But to answer your question:

2008, in Newport, RI, including the picture book and DVD copies of all high Rez photos that we own, it costs 5700. That was the main photographer and his helper who took a few pics. They took pics from 2p as getti g ready through midnight.

Holy fuck! That's a lot! this is gonna be the best job evarrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Fuck mikery's studioooo IM GOING PLATINUMMMMM BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

::goes all hollywood/platinum etc::

::wooooooooooooooooooosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::

::dissapears in a cloud of smoke/mystery::

Lol, I'm pretty sure I didn't use the word platinum correctly in this post tho. meh
    Edited By: bfactor Aug 25th, 2010 at 01:34 PM
    Thread StarterAdd bfactor to Rail
  5. Bfactor, it is a lot more work than you think it is. We got married in March and the wedding photographer is still working with us to get our album. I didn't pay for it, but I think it was probably in the 2-3k range for the service and it will probably be another 500 or 1k for the album.

Our wedding photographer touched up 800 photos one by one, which probably took her a month to do just by itself. Here are some other reasons why I think it may not be as desirable as you think:

1. I don't think you could book a wedding every weekend unless you traveled extensively. As I understand, and I am no authority, I think that weddings are mostly in the spring and summer.

2. You are talking about making $1500 a week times 50 weeks, which is $75k a year. It sounds like it would be a decent salary, only this isn't a salary. This is your gross revenue as a small business. When you are in the business world you will have marketing expenses, financial expenses, extra taxes, and a lot of other unexpected costs that I can't even think for your prospective industry. You may only get about $35k in salary out of $75k in sales.

3. You may only spend 1 day a week actually taking photos and perhaps you can fix them up in your spare time, but you are going to spend at least another couple of days a week at networking events trying to build the reputation of your business.

4. You get to deal with women. Good luck taking photos up to their standards because if they don't feel that they look pretty in the pictures that you take, then good luck. There are no do-overs in this business.

I think that if you wanted to it might be worth trying to be an assistant for someone else to get a feel for what they do. Maybe try to do it as a side job to earn an extra $5k or $10k a year.
    Add officerpizza to Rail
    Originally Posted by officerpizza View Post

Bfactor, it is a lot more work than you think it is. We got married in March and the wedding photographer is still working with us to get our album. I didn't pay for it, but I think it was probably in the 2-3k range for the service and it will probably be another 500 or 1k for the album.

Our wedding photographer touched up 800 photos one by one, which probably took her a month to do just by itself. Here are some other reasons why I think it may not be as desirable as you think:

1. I don't think you could book a wedding every weekend unless you traveled extensively. As I understand, and I am no authority, I think that weddings are mostly in the spring and summer.

2. You are talking about making $1500 a week times 50 weeks, which is $75k a year. It sounds like it would be a decent salary, only this isn't a salary. This is your gross revenue as a small business. When you are in the business world you will have marketing expenses, financial expenses, extra taxes, and a lot of other unexpected costs that I can't even think for your prospective industry. You may only get about $35k in salary out of $75k in sales.

3. You may only spend 1 day a week actually taking photos and perhaps you can fix them up in your spare time, but you are going to spend at least another couple of days a week at networking events trying to build the reputation of your business.

4. You get to deal with women. Good luck taking photos up to their standards because if they don't feel that they look pretty in the pictures that you take, then good luck. There are no do-overs in this business.

I think that if you wanted to it might be worth trying to be an assistant for someone else to get a feel for what they do. Maybe try to do it as a side job to earn an extra $5k or $10k a year.

Great reply, and pretty dead on from my experience.

We spent $3,000 for our photographer and $2,200 for our videographer at the wedding. Seems like a lot of money, but our wedding album and our DVDs are timeless and IMO well worth the money.

Like officerpizza said, they put in a shitload of work. It's not just the photoshoot. Our $3,000 included individual pictures and an album, and the materials are pretty expensive.
    Edited By: BigGunX Aug 25th, 2010 at 01:47 PM

Add BigGunX to Rail
  7. you would probably get more business if you offered the special honeymoon night session for no extra charge
    Add tieful to Rail
  8. We only spent like $200 in 1998 for a family friend who did an excellent job.

We also bought an ass load of disposable cameras. We handed them out to everyone and asked them to snap some shots. We had a collection bin to return them in at the end of the night.

Although the friend we hired did an excellent job, some of the best pictures from our wedding came from the disposable cameras.
    Edited By: XquiziVex Aug 25th, 2010 at 02:19 PM
    Add XquiziVex to Rail
    Originally Posted by officerpizza View Post

Bfactor, it is a lot more work than you think it is. We got married in March and the wedding photographer is still working with us to get our album. I didn't pay for it, but I think it was probably in the 2-3k range for the service and it will probably be another 500 or 1k for the album.

Fuck, lol, this job sucks.

I guess I'll have to just settle for freelance wildlife shit if I want to truly have a care free joke-job to use as my front when people ask "So what do you do?" when I'm schmoozing at parties. And then just direct/produce the occasional indie-horror short film for the local film festivals every so often to build some street cred so I can get some decent asian tail for once.

(I mean, even if I never make any actual money, I'd still be fine, so, I can try out some pretty ridic-hopeless/joke-ish jobs, but, I'd rather not be a complete trustfund fagloser if I can help it, so I'm trying to figure out if there's some super easy shit that even my crippled ass could semi do to pretend I'm not a total bum after I graduate (if I ever graduate that is (I'm currently taking my 4th leave of absence out of my past 6 semesters (not by choice tho, but still, it is what it is)))

Sigh, jobs are hard, lol
    Edited By: bfactor Aug 25th, 2010 at 02:30 PM
  10. Bfactor, I applaud that you don't want to sponge off of your parents. I don't know what your ailments are, and it isn't really my business, but just to add another problem taking pictures for a wedding is pretty grueling. If you are "crippled" in any way it will probably be too strenuous. I'm sure you'll find a good job that will work for you. Plus, if you have any kind of handicap companies are incentivized to hire you because they get a tax break.
    Add officerpizza to Rail
  11. probably been said but your 75k a year isn't gonna work. for that 1500 (which is almost exactly what we paid 3 years ago) you are not just providing a service (your time) but a product (hundreds of photos, a CD, an album) which cost you money. Not to mention your equipment, depreciation etc... you might be able to squeak out a living if you could somehow manage to book every weekend, but it wouldn't be a great one.

Add snaggs to Rail
  12. Well, my disability is that I can't sit for extended periods of time (like, more than 5-10 minutes at a time) or do strenuous exercise without having severe issues from it. I can only stand or lie down. So, the only jobs I could realistically do are ones where I am able to just stand or lie down the whole time, and not do any sitting for extended periods or any significant physical labor. So, that takes out like 99% of all jobs, except for like stay-at-home jobs, and maybe photography or writing or directing or something maybe, I dunno.
  13. Some good replies here and I will add one.

The girl I am currently dating is a photographer and there are MANY in the business handling such matters (at least speaking of our local area). She alone has (3) friends within 30-45 minutes of here doing weddings. It's not exactly a market untapped, just sayin.
    Add HK_MP5N to Rail
  14. Only stand or lie down sounds like street hooker job description.

The significant physical activity though may preclude you.
    Add chs3rd to Rail
    Originally Posted by bfactor View Post

Sigh, jobs are hard, lol

"Sigh, grinding out a living on a trust fund is hard, lol"

ps. wtf no strike-through anymore

Add time4badbeat to Rail
  16. 2007 5-6k
    Add budo09 to Rail
  17. LOL. i have a couple friends back homje who are photographers. they both live at home with their parents and make under 30k a year. like someone mentioned before, it's a TON of work after the fact. taking the pictures is actually the easy part, it's the editing that's the hardest. they also do other photo things, like baby pictures, family pictures, etc.

and i hope you're taking photography classes to learn how to take actual good pictures if you're serious about it.
    Add tennisee to Rail
  18. 2005 - maui - ridiculously cheap - i think it was like $500 total for our photographer/videographer (they did both) - they just gave us all the digital prints, which is basically unheard of from what i can tell - but it was a tiny wedding - just the hubby and i and 10 of our close family members

why not just tell ppl you're a writer - ppl don't expect you to necessarily be published - tell em you're working on a novel (you write novels errday on here ;) hehe)
    Add pigalet42 to Rail
    Originally Posted by bfactor View Post

Well, my disability is that I can't sit for extended periods of time (like, more than 5-10 minutes at a time) or do strenuous exercise without having severe issues from it.

software engineer.
    Add tammypoker01 to Rail
  20. Ours was a tad over 2K i believe, and we got married last September. We definitely could have gone for more, but we're happy with the way things came out.

I didnt read the OP -- are you wanting to become a photographer or hire someone for something pervy?

Add Nickc011 to Rail
  21. We're going with someone a bit newer that only costs $1,500. I got my senior pictures done with someone who was around this price at the time, but she now has wedding packages "Starting at 5k" and I live in a very low cost of living area. If you can build a good client base you should be able to make a shitload of money as a photographer.
    Add werd2u to Rail
    Originally Posted by Nickc011 View Post

I didnt read the OP -- are you wanting to become a photographer or hire someone for something pervy?

Lol, in all truthfulness, it's probably going to end up being the latter.