[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. I think I've had it for a few days now. When I woke up this morning, it got so bad that I was scared I was gonna die! But now it's a little worse and I'm scared I'm gonna live!

Add dhubermex to Rail
  2. A couple of questions, dhuber, to get to the bottom of this:

Are you vomiting and/or having diarrhea? If so, what does it look like (i.e., bloody, watery, mucus-like)? How many times a day are you having diarrhea or vomiting?

Do you have fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss? Any other symptoms? Abdominal pain?

Is anyone around you sick?

Have you eaten anything different lately of questionable quality? Have you drank any water from a well or stream?

Have you done any traveling recently?

Does anything help it or does anything in particular make it worse?

I look forward to your responses, and I hope you get better soon...
    Add MUPokerPlayer to Rail
  3. Are you vomiting and/or having diarrhea? If so, what does it look like (i.e., bloody, watery, mucus-like)? How many times a day are you having diarrhea or vomiting?

>>>> No vomiting, lots of diarrhea.. about 10 times per day, it's watery w/no blood

Do you have fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss? Any other symptoms? Abdominal pain?

>>>> No fever, chills, etc. But yes, quite a bit of abdominal pain now, in the form of cramps

Is anyone around you sick?

>>>> My wife and children have been sick off & on for almost a month it seems. They're doing better now

Have you eaten anything different lately of questionable quality? Have you drank any water from a well or stream?

>>>> Half of the things I eat down here could be labled as questionable. But I've been here for 8 years and was kinda hoping I was immune to a lot of it.... i have no idea whether this is because of something i ate or if i just happened to catch something.

Have you done any traveling recently?

>>>> No, none.

Does anything help it or does anything in particular make it worse?

>>>> Pepto Bismol helps for a few minutes, and I've taken Kaopectate quite a bit to try to stop it. I'm also drinking a lot of Pedialyte (possibly a gallon per day) since I haven't eaten anything in a couple of days now. I've just been so tired & weak tho,, and the funny thing is ,, that if i could name ONE thing that's making it worse, it's REST. If i take a nap in the afternoon because I'm feeling so bad, I always seem to wake up worse... and it's before 7am right now as i'm typing,, and I'm up because I feel so miserable after I went to sleep last night (about midnight)

*Thanks for your concern

Thread StarterAdd dhubermex to Rail
  4. Wow, you'd think you would be immune to the normal things that are endemic down there by now. There are several bugs that can cause your symptoms, but in Mexico, by far the most common cause is Montezuma's revenge, aka Enterotoxogenic Escherichia coli (ETEC). Other causes of your symptoms could include Salmonella, Rotovirus, and Vibrio cholera, among others. Its comforting that your diarrhea is watery and not bloody or mucus-like. These symptoms could indicate more virulent bugs that are more troublesome to treat and can potentially cause more problems

The good thing is that all of these bugs cause a self-limited diarrhea, meaning they usually go away on their own with out need for extensive treatment. However, if you develop fever, chills, bloody stools, or if it doesn't go away in about a week, you may be infected with a bug which will require antibiotics.

You are currently doing the best thing for yourself, with the Pedialyte. Hydrating yourself is by far the most important thing you can do. If you don't prefer Pedialyte, Gatorade would work just as well. Just make sure you don't try to rehydrate with only water, as that will not replace the electrolytes that are lost in the stool.

So, in summary, I believe you have a self-limited diarrhea, most likely caused by ETEC. The treatment is as above. If your symptoms worsen to the point where you cannot stay hydrated, or if they last longer than 7 to 10 days or so, I'd seek medical attention.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Add MUPokerPlayer to Rail
  5. When I went to mexico I was told not to drink the water but I did drink one of their "Aguas". It was a watermelon drink and I got sick as hell. I was pooping all the over the place for 2 days.
    Add Nato76 to Rail
  6. Hope it gets better, David.

Add Adam to Rail