1. I have recently taken a position as an outsourced "AT&T solutions provider" I basically go in pre-designated teritories that have the service available and try to sign people up to get the service installed.

I would just like to know people's experiences with door to door sales specifically for Uverse. Specifically if you were receptive to our sales techniques at the door and if you did sign up from a door to door rep if you were swindle in any way.

Also OTers who have or have had AT&T services how do you/did you like it and how does it compare pricewise, service wise, and/or customer supportwise to other major carriers?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated
    Add poker4tuition to Rail
  2. luckily you are selling a good product. A lot of people, myself included, would routinely check to see when UVerse would be in my area. So I think you will have much better success and receptiveness than someone selling a vacuum or some bullshit

Did they give you an orange shirt?
    Add xxACES UPxx to Rail
  3. lol I don't have any swag yet. It comes in Tuesday I guess. Guys that have been around more than a month like me do have orange polos.

Yeah it is cool a decent # of people are receptive. Some are really into the services. Most just hate our competitors
    Thread StarterAdd poker4tuition to Rail
  4. I hate AT&T with a passion. Too many bad experiences with them. Customer service and tech support are both turrible. And this is from 2006 when we cancelled service, and in March 2011 when we decided to try them again.

Never again.
    Never
    Add markeckert2000 to Rail
  5. Door to door is brutal imo

Confidence and conciseness is key and try not to harass people at dinner.

If you don't really believe in what your selling, neither is anybody else.

Add 36crazyfists to Rail
  6. Im curious, what is the pay like? Not a specific number or anything but it is a base pay + commission? Do you make a piece of each deal or do you have to hit a number then you get paid?
    Add xxACES UPxx to Rail
  7. you better have a good line to "disarm" the person who comes to the door

Hopefully you can handle hearing the word "NO" a lot.

Comcast service is only getting better, but their prices reflect that, I hope you are significantly cheaper(I don't know if comcast is your mane competitor or not, comcast is in 90% of houses where I live)

also, A good sales technique to use, if you can fit it in, is to take 15-30 seconds to tell the customer a little about yourself and why you are doing what you do, it might lead to them having a harder time saying No.
    Edited By: BadAllergies Jun 18th, 2011 at 05:20 AM
    Add BadAllergies to Rail
  8. I don't understand how anyone buys anything from someone who shows up at the door. ever. or calls. it just seems insane to me. no offense op, gl.

ps. except for those dudes who you know are scammers selling magazine subscriptions but they show up when everyone is smoking weed and you end up smoking them out and then they steal your money anyway and you get no mags. obv.
    Add norcaljeff to Rail
  9. Comcast is a fkn rip off and Id definitely switch to something else if I could...$200+ a month for cable+internet just seems ridiculous.
    Edited By: Shaaarrrp Jun 18th, 2011 at 05:20 AM

Add Shaaarrrp to Rail
    Originally Posted by xxACES UPxx View Post

Im curious, what is the pay like? Not a specific number or anything but it is a base pay + commission? Do you make a piece of each deal or do you have to hit a number then you get paid?

All comission. Which is pretty brutal. I wish they would reimburse gas then strait comission. I work for a 3rd party sales outsourcing company. The room for quick advancement is pretty cool. Sucks right now though.

A typical comission on a TV Internet and phone package is $80 to $100

A typical TV and Internet package is $65 to $85

A typical TV only package is $40- $50

I have to sell TV. I can't sell a package without cable. I can sell cable and phone but I don't get the extra phone comission without selling internet to.

Last week I made 7 sales for $640

This week I am doing much worse.
  11. Having worked as a Tier 3 Tech for both AT&T and Embarq/CenturyLink, I can tell ya that if the solution to the problem isn't unplugging your system and plugging it back in again, your best bet for help is just to make your problem sound as confusing as possible so they transfer you up a level :). Tier 1 techs require no formal training... just a high school diploma and pass a typing/generic Windows (where's the start menu?) test. So.... keep that in mind when you're getting troubleshooting help lol
    Add TClermont to Rail
  12. Didn't read any other posts, but if you came to me and could offer me uverse, I'd def take it if the price was reasonable. Good luck.
    Add midmoguy to Rail
    Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post

Comcast is a fkn rip off and Id definitely switch to something else if I could...$200+ a month for cable+internet just seems ridiculous.

PM me your address. I'll call it in tomorrow and see if U-Verse is available in your area. You are def. paying too much. Our standard cable and internet with a few TVs is 115 and free install. Its U-300 and max internet if u want to see what it includes.
    Edited By: poker4tuition Jun 18th, 2011 at 05:30 AM
    Originally Posted by norcaljeff View Post

I don't understand how anyone buys anything from someone who shows up at the door. ever. or calls. it just seems insane to me. no offense op, gl.

ps. except for those dudes who you know are scammers selling magazine subscriptions but they show up when everyone is smoking weed and you end up smoking them out and then they steal your money anyway and you get no mags. obv.

I know, this isn't 1955.

The only people that do door to door sales in my hood are people casing houses to break into.
    Add Avon Barksdale to Rail
    Originally Posted by BadAllergies View Post

you better have a good line to "disarm" the person who comes to the door

Hopefully you can handle hearing the word "NO" a lot.

Comcast service is only getting better, but their prices reflect that, I hope you are significantly cheaper(I don't know if comcast is your mane competitor or not, comcast is in 90% of houses where I live)

also, A good sales technique to use, if you can fit it in, is to take 15-30 seconds to tell the customer a little about yourself and why you are doing what you do, it might lead to them having a harder time saying No.

Good idea for sales technique. I'll definately try that. Comcast or Charter are major competitors in most areas. Its always one or the other because they havea no compete clause. Dish network is available some places; they typically blow so I switch a lot of people from them. I by far have the hardest time switching people from Direct TV. Those are the only 4 copmetitors where I am.
  16. Do you have any price flexibility?

I just got rid of my cable completely (comcast) because it was so outrageously priced and I rarely watch anything non-NBA related. I have wanted U-Verse for awhile but it's not available to me yet.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  17. we have Comcast cable, internet and phone, all channels(HD and standard), HBO, Starz and 2 HD DVR's. Our bill is $150/month.

also, comcast has partnered with AT&T and DirectTV for advertising stuff, so this might have a future impact on cable companies.
    Add BadAllergies to Rail
  18. Didn't read any of the responses and don't own any AT&T products but

But I was tricked into doing an interview/shadowing type deal with one of the door to door salesmen for uverse. They promised something to me in the pre-interview that wasnt door to door sales then tried to sell me on working for them

Was probably close to the worst 5 hours of my life, as I was way too nice to ditch them during the process :(

fuck at&t
    Edited By: Hallettcopta Jun 18th, 2011 at 07:53 AM
    Add Hallettcopta to Rail
  19. bought comcast from a door to door guy. worked out well for all, actually. wed just bought our house and hadnt moved anything in yet since we were going to paint and do the floors when he came by. i told him i already had comcast at my apartment and id just xfar the service over but he told me itd be cheaper for me to cancel it there and sign up new. got the triple play and 3 premium channels for like 100 a month. was a bit more than id been paying at the apartment, but i got phone, premium channels, a dvr unit and some more generic units.

he talked me into the landline. im sure he was more thinking about his commission but he was right, it wasnt much more and it came in handy when we had a sitter over and her cell died.
    Edited By: Ozzie Jun 18th, 2011 at 09:09 AM
    Add Ozzie to Rail
  20. Is this through Cydcor?
    Add officerpizza to Rail
  21. My first job out of school was doing marketing for UVerse for the door to door people like you. We actually had to spend a week out in the field to see how and what customers were receptive to. It def seemed like the easiest way to sell was pure hatred of their current service or what they're currently paying for their service. It's basically just a law of averages, unless you're really good. The dude I was going around with was apparently top at the company he worked for (No, it's not actual AT&T) and I guess he hadn't had a week where he made less than 1k in like 5 months, so it can def. be profitable if you get the right territory and know how to sell.

That being said their turnover rate was massive, and the whole thing is a hugeeeee pyramid scheme.
    Add IbizaCF3 to Rail
  22. when i was still in urbana, there was no way we'd get att uverse for internet. one of my buddies had it and it was like 56k.
    Add cchan to Rail
  23. Lemme guess? Sydcor affiliate? FWIW, I enjoyed the door to door thing honestly. Mostly people are nice. It also depends on your area. If you live in a smallish area, then your leads will be recycled a lot and you will be working t that was worked less than a month ago.

To be fair, I wasn't particularly good, but I made about $450 a week. Not that it is terrible, but I was also working 60 hours a week...
    Add TiltinShoes to Rail
  24. Why anyone would answer their front door when they don't know who it is beyond me.
    If I'm getting a package from UPS or fed ex is the only time I ever answer my door.
    Add dolphin13 to Rail
    Originally Posted by poker4tuition View Post

PM me your address. I'll call it in tomorrow and see if U-Verse is available in your area. You are def. paying too much. Our standard cable and internet with a few TVs is 115 and free install. Its U-300 and max internet if u want to see what it includes.

Don't forget to hook him up with support plus using the $50 kicker. Get on that bell and get promoted mang!
    Add TiltinShoes to Rail
  26. Sent you a PM.

I have comcast at home and am completely unsatisfied with the internet, it kicks out multiple times a day and overall is a pain in the ass.
    Add TheBigEarn to Rail
    Originally Posted by officerpizza View Post

Is this through Cydcor?

yes

Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

Do you have any price flexibility?

I just got rid of my cable completely (comcast) because it was so outrageously priced and I rarely watch anything non-NBA related. I have wanted U-Verse for awhile but it's not available to me yet.

nope. Everything is set prices.

also the people who know about cydcor do you know how it looks on a resume? I mean I will be putting the actual third party company I am employed by on the resume. I just have no sales experience and this was the first interview I got in my area after finding out I was losing my other job.
  28. If you stick to it, it really can't look bad on a sales resume to go door to door cold calling. Also, Cydcor gets a bad name from a lot of ex employees, but there isn't anything really all that wrong with it. Nobody in my office was doing more than 700 a week, but it is an upbeat experience and they do pay you, even if it isn't great. Good luck though, I actually didn't mind my time there.
    Add TiltinShoes to Rail
  29. I got AT&T U-Verse from a door to door sales guy. It took about 15 minutes and was pretty painless. However the shit I had to go through with AT&T with customer and tech support was a complete nightmare and I will never use them again. I think you will do well, people like me are out there looking to get rid of Comcast.
    Add Saintsfan1 to Rail
    Originally Posted by TiltinShoes View Post

If you stick to it, it really can't look bad on a sales resume to go door to door cold calling. Also, Cydcor gets a bad name from a lot of ex employees, but there isn't anything really all that wrong with it. Nobody in my office was doing more than 700 a week, but it is an upbeat experience and they do pay you, even if it isn't great. Good luck though, I actually didn't mind my time there.

I worked for 3 months as a top producer selling at&t residential at one of their offices. My manager had 3 people promoted to outside deals that all failed within 6 months. She lived in section 8 housing and rented out rooms to employees. The other manager who shared the office with my manager didn't have a car and his employees had to take him to work.

My issue with the company is how they present everything to employees. For instance, they told us that we got $24 for each DSL we sold and at&t paid separate overrides to my manager and her upline that didn't come out of the commission. We knew that wasn't true, at&t paid Cydcor $72 for each DSL we sold and Cydcor only gave us a third of that. It was also funny how they told us that we should convince all customers that they need an unlimited long distance plan on their phones and shouldn't take no for an answer.

The dream they sold everyone is once you make it to management you are set to make 6 figures. My manager's office was one of the top selling offices in the country and my manager wasn't making anywhere close to that (we saw her tax returns). Most managers fail and blow through their savings and have to move back in with their parents.

Oh, it was also a lot of fun to go on a trip out of town and share a roach motel room with 3 other guys. Either you share beds or sleep on the floor (like I did).

Essentially, this is a pyramid scheme, but the one good thing is I learned all of their selling techniques and left them to sell for a company that I could actually earn a living from. Their sales system is actually pretty good. I still use some of the techniques in my business today. I can honestly say if it wasn't for their training I wouldn't be where I am today.
    Add officerpizza to Rail