[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. I use to run a temp agency and what we took off the top varied depending on the client and what type of applicant we placed.
    I honestly can't recall exactly the percent but I think it was roughly 25-100%.
    Add RichardHurtz to Rail
  2. way to nail it down to a firm #
    Thread StarterAdd Co1one1_Forbin to Rail
    Originally Posted by tommpat2000 View Post

So more like a headhunter, and the person would be directly hired by company? or just a certian length contract where they would pay your friend once the time was over, or a prorated portion if the employee couldnt finish the contract?

I guess it was more like a head hunter, but he would find his clients temps. He did get a bonus if they hired his find permanently, however. I'm honestly not too sure how the contracts worked, and whether he got paid a different amount if the temp didn't finish out the contract. I will ask him next time I speak to him and PM you as long as I remember. Avoiding him for the next few days, ha.
    Add AnonymousX to Rail
  4. Feel free to pm any info, but tbh its kinda just info at this point and i wont be able to use it in this situation as I have already done what I can do.

But as stated i have to take a test and pass, if i dont ill prob be looking for work again soon so it couldnt hurt

I think there are many different ways it works, last time I was a temp for 18 months because the company was on a hiring freeze during economic crapdown.

i mean what kind of sense does that make, they either save money by hiring or they dont
  5. I'm sure by the time I get you the info it won't be of much use to you, but it will cure your curiousity ha. Lets hope I remember, my brain has been all over the fn place lately.
    Add AnonymousX to Rail
  6. if you remember id appreciate it

hear ya on the brain, like three times today i left desk to go to printer and either forgot to print or printed 2x. like wtf, think because i was concerned with the car in the shop and my ma's bday today
  7. Don't do that, you're negotiating a 35% pay increase LOL! I'm about to be jobless, so I've been fairly overwhelmed. I do have to call this dude this weekend so I'll try to remember.
    Add AnonymousX to Rail
  8. we go through so much paper its not even funny, companies fax us the same shit like 5x in a day and i just throw 4 in the recycling

hope things turn out for the best with your job, or if you need new one. my switching jobs has been mostly positive except for when i felt like i was having a nervous breakdown and was ready to quit
  9. thx..going back to school though FT to finish my BA and get my MBA. I'm going to be living like a beyond poor college kid for a few years since I have real life bills, but I should be able to get a decent job when I'm done instead of killing myself physically on a daily basis without even an option to ever get a raise or promoted (commission job). It'll be rough, but hopefully worth it.
    Add AnonymousX to Rail
  10. wait until they make an offer, before you negotiate.

There are a couple things to consider:

1) they will likely have to "pay off" the temp agency to hire you. Agencies often have clauses that stipulate "you will owe us x% of the employees base, if hired within x amount of time of the appointment"

2) By going temp to perm you are getting a promotion. See what it is first, lest you seem ungrateful for the opportunity. if it is too low, then say you are flattered by the offer, but were hoping for more. Then have some back up stats, etc...
    But honestly, the dude who said "take what they give you, keep you head down and keep working" had it right. When I went temp to perm back in 2001, I got a 20% raise. The following year i got a 12%, and then 6 months later they adjusted my salary by another 10% based on market conditions. If you are worth the money to them, they will pay you to keep you happy. BTW 2001-2003 wasn't the best economic climate either, not this bad but not nearly as good as the late 90's.

3) temp to perm isnt really the best transition for negotiating. If they say no you wont have a job. Also you reason you hire temps because if they suck you can drop them without going through the hassle or liability of a firing. If you overestimate your value they may feel you are not worth the trouble and just rescind the offer. It is better to get in the company, work hard for a year and then make your move at next years review.

good luck
    Edited By: rayspizza Jul 28th, 2011 at 02:38 PM
    Add rayspizza to Rail
  11. Previously worked 10+ years in staffing/recruiting including 2 years in pricing for one of the large multinational firms and 5 years as CFO for a smaller regional firm based in Atlanta.

There can be huge variance in markups for clients in retail business (as opposed to national/regional accounts where the client was under contract for specific usage levels). But you can use the following as general guidance:

Admin/Clerical positions: 35 to 50% markup (if they pay you $10/hr then expect them to be charging client somewhere between $13.50 and $15/ hr).

Professional (ie IT, Accounting, Legal): 40 to 60% markup (pay $20 and charge $28 to $32)

If client was under a national or regional account deal, you could take 10 to 15 basis points off the numbers above.

Also, almost all staffing agreements include a clause that prevents the client from "converting" a temp to perm until they meet a certain hours criteria. Most also include a sliding scale that allows a conversion prior to reaching the hours threshold by paying a liquidation fee.

Best of luck.

TJ

Add Nole91 to Rail
  12. Lol, they came back with like <3%

Unbelievably insulted right now, about to walk out
  13. lol at expecting a 20% raise tho
    Add voorh33s to Rail

Lol, they came back with like <3%

why would you be insulted? dont take it personally, it is just business. Compose yourself, express your appreciation for the opportunity and give them a counter offer.
    Add rayspizza to Rail
  15. Who asks for a 35% raise and expects 20%?

So weird.
    Add Niceguy to Rail

Lol, they came back with like <3%

Why? Because you feel that you should get 25-50% just because the temp agency was billing more for your services?
    The Temp Agency has numerous costs associated with having you as an employee. The employer is now assuming those costs by hiring you. Here is just an example.

http://www.scoreknox.org/library/employeecost.htm

What Do Employees Really Cost You?

SCORE is often asked to help employers determine the cost of hiring and retaining employees beyond the price of their wages. Many agencies and publications are involved in providing an answer.
    Federal Costs

(Publication 15, Circular E, Employer's Tax Guide), indicates that you must consider:
    • Social Security Tax - 6.2% each for employers and employees on wages up to and including $76,200
    • Medicare Tax - 1.45% each for employers and employees on all wages
    • Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA) - 6.2% before state credits (employers only) on wages up to and including $7,000.
    State Costs

Tennessee's Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Division of Employment Security indicates that during the first three years the state unemployment tax (SUTA) for new businesses on wages up to and including $7,000 is: Mining - 10.0% Construction - 6.5% All Other - 2.7%
    Edited By: RichardHurtz Jul 28th, 2011 at 06:01 PM
    Add RichardHurtz to Rail
  17. Ill tell you why

Because I have been hired on after being a temp multiple times, never having asked for an amount and have always gotten way way way more

Also because right after inwas hired as a temp i saw my job listed online and the pay was way more than they just offered

Ill tell you why

Because I have been hired on after being a temp multiple times, never having asked for an amount and have always gotten way way way more

Also because right after inwas hired as a temp i saw my job listed online and the pay was way more than they just offered

Fair enough. I don't know the particulars of your job/employment. Didn't read entire thread.
    Add RichardHurtz to Rail
  19. I just don't get it, incould so be a jerk and Threaten Some multiple-million dollar accounts i run that they would lose prob if i left

I think I'm going to go back and say I saw my job online at x/hr and I kinda expected that at the least

Just sucks, last time I had discussion with my boss about something like this I was fired on the spot, literally for politely expressing my displeasure so idk what to do

I just don't get it, incould so be a jerk and Threaten Some multiple-million dollar accounts i run that they would lose prob if i left

I think I'm going to go back and say I saw my job online at x/hr and I kinda expected that at the least

Just sucks, last time I had discussion with my boss about something like this I was fired on the spot, literally for politely expressing my displeasure so idk what to do

This sounds like a classic case of you thinking you're more important than you actually are. Seriously, are multi-million dollar accounts going to be lost if your company fires the temp?

Add Paki_Poker to Rail
  21. When I think of tommpat, I think politeness.
    Add Niceguy to Rail
  22. There is nary a person on earth that doesnt feel they shouldn't be paid more but 35% is a little bit of a lofty goal. Although 3% is a joke doesnt look like they give 2 fucks and most likely will hire another temp if u leave
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  23. well ya i put 35 hoping for like 10-15
  24. I've been hired on by companies from being a temp twice. First time was a tier 1 tech support job where I went from $10/hr as a temp to $13.50 as a FT employee. My current job I went from $14 to $17 with better benefits (paid technical training, tuition reimbursement, etc.). Both times there wasn't really a negotiation... just "here's our offer... sign or no?". Both times I knew the company was billing my temp agency more, but that rate is higher to make up for all the temps that quit after one paycheck.... or just freeload and bounce from training class to training class without ever actually working.

I have plenty of friends working shitty jobs they're wayyy overqualified for, or unemployed because they're still acting like having a degree means people should be lining up at their feet with job offers. Sometimes you just have to take what you're given, and keep your eyes open for something better while adding your current experience to your resume'. Leaving and having any sort of extended time off is only going to hurt your chances of finding something better anyway.
    Edited By: TClermont Jul 29th, 2011 at 12:26 AM
    Add TClermont to Rail
    Originally Posted by TClermont View Post

I've been hired on by companies from being a temp twice. First time was a tier 1 tech support job where I went from $10/hr as a temp to $13.50 as a FT employee. My current job I went from $14 to $17 with better benefits (paid technical training, tuition reimbursement, etc.). Both times there wasn't really a negotiation... just "here's our offer... sign or no?". Both times I knew the company was billing my temp agency more, but that rate is higher to make up for all the temps that quit after one paycheck.... or just freeload and bounce from training class to training class without ever actually working.

I have plenty of friends working shitty jobs they're wayyy overqualified for, or unemployed because they're still acting like having a degree means people should be lining up at their feet with job offers. Sometimes you just have to take what you're given, and keep your eyes open for something better while adding your current experience to your resume'. Leaving and having any sort of extended time off is only going to hurt your chances of finding something better anyway.

Ive had bascially the same exp with getting hired, except this time it was a 2.98533 (edit %)whatever raise instead,

the one thing that i am holding on to is the fact that i asked my manager (knowing he couldnt answer) what I should put. The end result was shoot high and plan on negotiating to the middle, so maybe they came back so low with the expectation we would end up inbetween. If not I will still take the offer but its a real deep burn thats for sure
    Edited By: Co1one1_Forbin Jul 29th, 2011 at 12:42 AM
  26. finally had a chance to talk to him today, ended up getting my raise almost doubled.

still not quite what i hoped, but he said if the next three months go as well as my temp period did i will be in line for a good raise. seems fair enough since im basically entry level as far as they are concerned

post coming soon on how to pass a drug test to quell all those questions (unless i fail, then fail post coming, or i might not even have to take but 99% i do) they already ordered my new PC, not sure why they would do that if i wont be getting hired but i suppose someone else can always use it
  27. Was pretty damn sure that I was getting fired for failing pre-employment drug test today (well not hired and let go as a temp instead of getting hired on)

by some miracle of the lord i passed, that or they just didnt care about what i failed for. metabolisim you hath saved my again

either way huzzah, except my car still needs new alternator, but oh wells Ill take 1/2
  28. cool story bro

now maybe your panties will unbunch

another snide comment that I can't think of right now

congrats!
    Add norcaljeff to Rail
  29. Wait, wait, wait.......so dicks was hiring? I thought zee survived?
    Add SirLiesAlot to Rail
  30. C- for effort