See Where You Rank in Virginia

Originally Posted by phish42O View Post

The decline of aapl begins today.

Sell! Sell! Sell!

FAIL

Apple has sold 3 million iPads since Friday holy fuck
    That number is just plain ridiculous
  2. AAPL+ RNDY = yay

Also, I am staying away from it but TVIX has popped a bit with the market doing well, very interesting.
    Edited By: TheBigEarn Mar 20th, 2012 at 01:33 AM
  3. Market down Long with TVIX. Seems like it won't be a viable option for now even for mini dips.
  4. Anyone have any insight on why our favorite ETN is getting beaten up so much today? Down $2.15 today alone with the market down around 9 points in the S&P.
  5. color me confused - the market has been up and down like a yo-yo which would seem to imply volatility, yet even on down days like today TVIX gets smashed. Must be missing something.
    Originally Posted by saxman View Post

color me confused - the market has been up and down like a yo-yo which would seem to imply volatility, yet even on down days like today TVIX gets smashed. Must be missing something.

It is really confusing because it isnt like the VIX isnt up. Right now the VIX is up 5.75% today. I can understand if the TVIX isnt exactly in line by 2 times, but for the VIX to be up 5.75% and the TVIX to be down 16.25% is beyond bazar.
  7. very strange indeed - its almost like some major players are moving huge blocks around to change positions in the market? i really have no idea
  8. I mean WTF is going on? This is ridiculous. The thing is down 24% right now. This is unreal.
    Originally Posted by dixiecrat88 View Post

I mean WTF is going on? This is ridiculous. The thing is down 24% right now. This is unreal.

is there some major holder of TVIX bailing out of their positions, or is there some other plausible explanation?

is there some major holder of TVIX bailing out of their positions, or is there some other plausible explanation?

I have been trying to find some kind of information, but it seems like a lot of speculation. Some say that there is a hedge fund that held a lot of shares and they are dumping them, others have said the whole TVIX ETN is a scam, and still others are saying that the TVIX was trading at a significant premium to the regular VIX so it is recalibrating. Herb Greenberg on CNBC just mentioned it, but I really didnt catch what he said. I still really have no clue.
  11. Reason number 4,564,234,611 why we shouldn't be playing the tvix game. I played it once, lost a couple hundred bucks and said "Fuck that shit'
  12. This is the best article I have seen so far...

http://www.etftrends.com/2012/03/why...-from-the-vix/

Closed at $10.20 down 30%. That fucking sucked.
  13. Heard in my stock chat room today that rumors of a hedge fund was getting killed holding TVIX so they dumped all of their shares today which could be the reason why TVIX tanked big time.

Again, that is the rumor I hear. Dont know if its true or not.
  14. that's what it looked like to me - some big player dumping their position. The news on ETN volnurability would certainly contribute to the panic as well.
  15. wow - that's funky. I got into a VXX spread yesterday afternoon, which is also representative of the short-term futures, and not necessarily spot VIX, and while it didn't follow spot VIX today, it still had a small gain.

EDIT: UVXY - which is basically proshares TVIX ETF rather than ETN, showed a 2% gain today.
    Edited By: cdmalgee Mar 22nd, 2012 at 09:33 PM
  16. TVIX at $8.22 as the market opens this morning, down $2.00 in pre market trading.
  17. #crazyshit
    Originally Posted by dixiecrat88 View Post

TVIX at $8.22 as the market opens this morning, down $2.00 in pre market trading.

How many shares do you own
    Originally Posted by dolphin13 View Post

How many shares do you own

850 with an average price of $15.20
  20. Yuck.

There was a flash crash in apple today. It went down 9 percent in one trade on some kind of screw up. Then there's this whole Bats thing.

Yuck.

There was a flash crash in apple today. It went down 9 percent in one trade on some kind of screw up. Then there's this whole Bats thing.

Well I have learned my lesson with dealing with these ETN's & ETF's. I thought I had done enough research, but obviously not. The more I read, the more I find out that TVIX is not even really fixed with the VIX.

22. I'm subscribed to optionsmonster's daily posts - Jamie Tyrell with Group1 constantly reports on VIX, but this is the first time that I've heard him talk about TVIX.

Yuck.

iWin.
  24. Um no
  25. i was aware of the whole time decay thing and rebalancing of the leveraged ETF's and ETN's so i always used them as a small hedge against long positions and traded in and out fairly frequently. I was not aware of the difference and exposure to the ETN versus ETF that was highlited in some of these recent discussions. Live and learn. When TVIX began to crash, i did have a small position and got stung for a few loonies. Hopefully the folks on these boards that use them didn't get burned too badly.

i was aware of the whole time decay thing and rebalancing of the leveraged ETF's and ETN's so i always used them as a small hedge against long positions and traded in and out fairly frequently. I was not aware of the difference and exposure to the ETN versus ETF that was highlited in some of these recent discussions. Live and learn. When TVIX began to crash, i did have a small position and got stung for a few loonies. Hopefully the folks on these boards that use them didn't get burned too badly.

What thefuck. All this time were trying to figure out WHY tvix crashed and it turns out to be something so simple. Saxman owned it.

/investigation
  27. lol there you go - mystery solved
  28. Interesting read

http://news.yahoo.com/apples-gains-m...185403133.html

I have a different apple problem. I would take a huuuuuuge hit in profits if I cashed out my apple shares in my non retirement account right now. Luckily I'm closing in on the dates where they'll turn into long-term capital gains. I'm also reluctant to sell in case a repub gets into office and lowers the cap gains to 10, 5 or zero percent.

I also feel like a fucking idiot for not converting my IRA to a Roth IRA before I bought apple at 120
  29. I think we should subsidize investment banks...

Oh wait, we do.