[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. Leets is a traitor betting against America imo.
  2. So ban short selling

Originally Posted by Leet8s View Post

So ban short selling

Like I have that kind of power.

I can't even get the bitch at del taco to add the proper amount of guacamole to my macho nachos.
  4. its been a pretty damn good year. Didnt sell my gold at the record highs but did make a massive profit on a bunch of it and used it to buy my Camaro. Still have significant gold and silver holdings.

Apple is up 76 percent in the past year and has been my beast. It's the only individual stock I've owned in quite some time. got like 5k in Contra Fund and all the wife's money is in mutual funds so can't really play with that, which is sad because I could have turned it into a lot more money than it is.

Id like to see apple take the next step or I think it will start to flatten out soon. We need maybe an itv with siri, itunes and a netflix service all rolled into one.

Would be pretty bitching to talk to your tv (yes I know xbox does this) and have a better than netflix inventory of movies to choose from. In this day and age, there is no GOOD reason that I shouldnt turn on my tv and be able to watch any movie ever made within 1 minute.
    Edited By: dolphin13 Aug 8th, 2012 at 08:42 PM
  5. looks to me like it's a typical election year market with peaks and valleys that go along with the news on the political front. I've been in buy and hold mode all year which in hindsight may have cost me a few loonies as i rode the materials stocks down from their highs, but they seems to be rallying nicely, and i won't miss out on the upside. Trying to time the market in light of the political climate is just a crap shoot imo.

Bought back into ECA earlier in the year and still holding, as well as Huskey Energy for it's dividend. Nat gas plays have a lot of upside me thinks. Just sold my VZ shares at a nice profit b/c it looks like it has peaked here, but i'll be getting back in before year end. BCE has been doing nicely as well and had a good beat today and Rogers Comm has been good to me although off today (people selling RCI.B to purchase BCE b/c of news). Rather than try and play the RIMM AAPL and others, i have been happy to hold the other end of that market (the wireless providers) since they ultimately benefit from all the data hungry young folks. RIMM does look rather tempting, i must admit, but i'm gonna have to pass.
    Originally Posted by dolphin13 View Post

there is no GOOD reason that I shouldnt turn on my tv and be able to watch any movie ever made within 1 minute.

seeing as you want apple to do it, you'd have to wait for the iTV4 or 5 before it would happen anyway.
  7. I love me some Louis C.K.. He's definitely right but thats the world we live in. You need to take constant steps forward or you gonna get passed.
  8. anyone want to do an analysis on CSTR for me? 32% below its high, just came off a new all time high.

I've taken this ride a few times already. In at 46.5 this time. It will hit 70 again, maybe this year. Trust me, I know nothing
  9. damned libs always wanting someone else to do their work.

Looks like a pretty good entry... what was the monster pullback about?
  10. someone told me it was because of shortsellers
  11. I mean it's Coinstar. Do you see people lining up to use the Coinstar at Staples or Walmart or w/e the fuck they are. It's also a small cap stock so fuck it

12. the machines around here have someone at them more often than not. not really lines, but there's often someone waiting, too. At a 7-11 in Hollywood they had a double machine. Both ports were occupied.

But I'm as or more excited in their newer ventures: a partnership with Verizon for streaming, and a partnership with Seattle's Best for cappuccino machines.

those are for longterm, though. mostly I like the up/down trend of the stock
  13. Anybody have any feelings towards NUGT? Bullish gold ETF that I've been eyeing. Originally came across it when it was at $8.50/sh or so and it popped up right away into the mid 10's.
  14. i dont follow NUGT but it looks to be a 3x leveraged bull ETF on the gold miners. The gold miners have been beaten up pretty bad since March which is not unusual and they get bought up again in late summer for a fall / winter rally. Whether or not you believe in gold, you need to be real active in trading a 3x ETF because the volatility will be huge. These are not buy and hold instruments.
  15. Why does everyone love gold?

16. I follow the gold market very closely and I expect gold to rise very steadily for the month of August. The Fed isn't supposed to make another statement until September I believe, and as saxman said mining stocks usually get a nice pop in the fall and winter. I'm not a fan of ETFs in general, but I think this is a very good buy under $11. IF its actually priced correctly and not being manipulated. The system is so corrupt and rigged right now that people are pulling their money out and buying gold. Paper and electronic money are unstable, but if you're looking for a gamble, and if the stock isn't rigged, it should fly up for the next month or two.
    Originally Posted by Leet8s View Post

Why does everyone love gold?

Just in case this isn't a level...

Every time central banks print money, it makes paper money worth less. So Gold > Paper.

And since all major financial institutions are over leveraged, unregulated, and living off the bailout money, there's a good chance they could fail. If they fail, your 401k, savings account, stock portfolio, etc are all at risk. If you have physical gold in your possession, you remove yourself from a systematic collapse that has a non-zero chance of happening. In 2008, it almost happened, and they just printed more money. When it "almost" happens again, like in Europe right now, they'll print more money. The US dollar went off the gold standard under Nixon, the banks got unregulated under Reagan, Clinton made it worse, and now the whole system is a ticking time bomb. So buy gold.
    Originally Posted by USCphildo View Post

Every time central banks print money, it makes paper money worth less. So Gold > Paper.

And since all major financial institutions are over leveraged, unregulated, and living off the bailout money, there's a good chance they could fail.

If they fail, the world would change as we know it. Enjoy having your net worth in a bunch of deck card size metal blocks.
    Edited By: Unforseen Aug 10th, 2012 at 04:41 PM
  19. if you listen to the 3 stooges of doom and gloom (Rogers, Faber, Schiff), they will tell you that the USD is doomed and inflation will be the death of us all - don't invest in US equities, but invest in agriculture, materials, and precious metals.

my personal approach is to have a balanced portofolio which includes 10-15% in gold as a hedge against inflation and USD exposure.
    Originally Posted by Unforseen View Post

If they fail, the world would change as we know it. Enjoy having your net worth in a bunch of deck card size metal blocks.

You seem to not like the idea. Naturally, I don't enjoy thinking the US financial system could collapse either.

I like a 10-15 % gold hedge a lot. I'd prefer most of that to be in physical gold, obv.
    Edited By: USCphildo Aug 10th, 2012 at 05:08 PM
  21. So to expand on unforseen's point. In what scenario of the economy collapsing do you believe gold will help you? It will have value, but how will maximize that value? Would you chip off pieces to pay people? In the first place how will you get a hold of the physical gold you have purchased, unlike the coins that dolphin hides in a jew sack around his neck, a majority of gold is in vaults somewhere, so in a collapsed economy you trust the executives in control of that vault to hand over the metal? You believe the governments around the world won't take claim to the gold as a precious resource ala world war 2? It's great to believe that gold stores value and will increase in value, but for it to become its most valuable you require a circumstance that will strip you of its utility. Seems silly.

And since all major financial institutions are over leveraged, unregulated, and living off the bailout money, there's a good chance they could fail. If they fail, your 401k, savings account, stock portfolio, etc are all at risk. If you have physical gold in your possession, you remove yourself from a systematic collapse that has a non-zero chance of happening. In 2008, it almost happened, and they just printed more money. When it "almost" happens again, like in Europe right now, they'll print more money. The US dollar went off the gold standard under Nixon, the banks got unregulated under Reagan, Clinton made it worse, and now the whole system is a ticking time bomb. So buy gold.

The first point is technically true but it isn't relevant in USA's current economy. The U.S. is deleveraging and has deflationary pressures and the global demand for USD is TREMENDOUS. The USD, even with all our monetary expansion, has strengthened and is in great demand for the safety that we provide. USD are printed and distributed and people buy treasuries. There is no reason to be concerned about inflation currently with the output gap we have and high unemployment (and deleveraging).

If the banks collapse, why would people run to gold? I don't see the logic. By definition the main functions of money are medium of exchange, a unit of account and a store of value. I can see that it is a unit of account and I can see it has a store of value because people put a value on it but is it really a medium of exchange? If the world goes into Armageddon are people going to be trading gold for food? Seriously? Also, gold has a value because people put a psychological value on it, it's usage as a product in goods/construction is not that great.

23. bullets.
  24. I dont expect armageddon. And a system collapse would likely lead to either,1) a gold backed dollar where gold is revalued to 5-10k 2) a new global currency backed by gold 3) something bad

I dont expect armageddon. And a system collapse would likely lead to either,1) a gold backed dollar where gold is revalued to 5-10k 2) a new global currency backed by gold 3) something bad

Lol complete baloney. Currencies have collapses before in countries and they don't return to a gold standard. You realize that a gold standard has a lot of negative impacts on a currency too right? A global currency is a joke also, that will NEVER, EVER happen for a multitude of reasons. See the Euro as a small example why not. America will never return to a gold standard and there is a good reason why.

26. You said we don't need to worry about inflation. Inflation is the reason you invest. If you invested $50,000 in 1920 into... Dollars, you'd still have $50,000. You probably meant to argue (I guess) that we have no need to worry about hyperinflation. Well that's what happens when you print too much money too fast. Hopefully we don't print much in the next few years... But we will. England is printing. Europe is printing, so in my opinion we do have to start worrying about rising inflation in the next few years. The primary reason is because interest rates must stay above inflation, and there's way too much debt carried by the US Europe and all major banks to raise interest rates.

Most of the US debt is in short term debt. We don't have a 100 year loan. It's rolled over into new debt and its sold at the going interest rates.

You said people buy treasuries. Is that supposed to be reassuring? What if they didn't? Governments buy our debt. Specifically the Chinese. But they are no longer the largest holder of our debt... It's the Fed!

Also, have you heard of the IMF? The International Monetary Fund?
    Edited By: USCphildo Aug 10th, 2012 at 08:25 PM
  27. Isn't it funny that almost a year later investors are looking to bailouts to prop up our economies?
  28. i think thats pretty much the dilema the Fed is faced with right now - they have already injected a lot of money into the economy and although interest rates are currently at all time lows, they don't want to be stuck holding the bag if theyre forced to raise the rate to curb inflation (which will eventually come) and refinance at much higher rates - kind of funny to see people crying for QE3 so that they can turn around a short time later to accuse the Fed of feeding inflation. It's a double edged sword that the Fed is well aware of imo.

You said we don't need to worry about inflation. Inflation is the reason you invest. If you invested $50,000 in 1920 into... Dollars, you'd still have $50,000. You probably meant to argue (I guess) that we have no need to worry about hyperinflation. Well that's what happens when you print too much money too fast. Hopefully we don't print much in the next few years... But we will. England is printing. Europe is printing, so in my opinion we do have to start worrying about rising inflation in the next few years. The primary reason is because interest rates must stay above inflation, and there's way too much debt carried by the US Europe and all major banks to raise interest rates.

Most of the US debt is in short term debt. We don't have a 100 year loan. It's rolled over into new debt and its sold at the going interest rates.

You said people buy treasuries. Is that supposed to be reassuring? What if they didn't? Governments buy our debt. Specifically the Chinese. But they are no longer the largest holder of our debt... It's the Fed!

Also, have you heard of the IMF? The International Monetary Fund?

Lol yes, I know what the IMF is, I traded G10 currencies at a global i-bank. A little inflation is actually healthy for an economy, 2% is perfect. The alternative would be deflation and that is much, much, much worse for an economy than inflation. Just look at Japan and Switzerland to see why (but also use some economic theory). That $50,000 example, is that just saying that the USD has remained at the same level or S&P 500 has or what? Even with England and Europe and USA and Japan and Switzerland printing money, we don't have to worry because the velocity of money is very low.

Yes, people buying treasuries is pretty reassuring for the U.S. economy, how isnt it? If they didn't buy our debt then there would be a reason why they wouldn't be and we would be in trouble. Isn't it a great thing that our government can borrow at such low rates to finance? We aren't Spain or Italy...

Originally Posted by rebelfd View Post

Isn't it funny that almost a year later investors are looking to bailouts to prop up our economies?

I think the bailouts were better than letting the economy collapse. Hope that when stabilized, gov't will have no equity in these companies, of course