1. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100428/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1831

Alabama Gubernatorial candidate Tim James says, if elected, he will only give driver's license test in English. He says "This is Alabama; we speak English. If you want to live here, learn it."

Add PIsom23 to Rail
    Add Luho to Rail
    Originally Posted by PIsom23 View Post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100428/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1831

Alabama Gubernatorial candidate Tim James says, if elected, he will only give driver's license test in English. He says &quot;This is Alabama; we speak English. If you want to live here, <strike>learn it</strike> don't be anything but white bc we will lynch your ass if you isn't.&quot;

is more like it
    Add tkeat1653 to Rail

Alabama Gubernatorial candidate Tim James says, if elected, he will only give driver's license test in English. He says &quot;This is Alabama; we speak English. We just can't read it!&quot;

That's more like it.
    Add fly44 to Rail
  5. One thing about this, road signs and warning signs are all in English so being able to read/understand English is important when driving in cities.
    Add typhicane to Rail
  6. I honestly don't know how the drivers lisence tests are in the USA, I can personally only relate to the drivers education you get in Norway (which is good, but expensieve, around 5-6000$). So excuse me if what I say is somewhat misguided.

Seeing as many people rely on a job, and many rely on a car to work - aren't you a bit concerned this might work against its intentions?

Most signs and road warnings are just that - they are not usually walls of texts you need to interpret to drive safely. Other than that I assume the signs contain basic english which my 13 year old brother wouldn't have any problems comprehending.
    Add pr33bo to Rail
    Originally Posted by Luho View Post

Add poisoneye1986 to Rail
  8. que? no comprende
    Add yardsalecustomr to Rail
  9. Viva la revolucion!
    Add Tim Lock to Rail

x infinite
    Add Co1one1_Forbin to Rail
    Originally Posted by Tim Lock View Post

Viva la revolucion!

Add MrMojo728 to Rail
  12. Learn English Mexicans. Russians can, Chinese can, Vietnamese can etc. And those languages are 50x more diff. than ours.
    Add xxbossmanxx to Rail
  13. He probably could have stated it a little less &quot;fuck you immigrant&quot; but it is alabama.

Edit: Oh the ironing of the first response in the link

Makes since you need to be able to read signs if you are driving.

Add mdshack14 to Rail
  14. Seriously!

Last time I was talking to a hispanic dude I thought he was going to bring me a delicious drink. Turned out he was talking about how his ex-wife shot a dude.
    Add ciz to Rail
  15. This is a travisti. These people come here to werk hard and contribute to their society. Why should they have to learn to speek gringlish?

No taxation without interpretation imo.
    Add XquiziVex to Rail
  16. &quot;If you want to live here, learn it.&quot;

Add shlackass to Rail

Add R_U_Nuts to Rail
    Originally Posted by tkeat1653 View Post

Alabama Gubernatorial candidate Tim James says, if elected, he will only give driver's license test in English. He says &quot;This is Alabama; we speak English. If you want to live here, <strike>learn it</strike> don't be anything but white bc we will lynch your ass if you <strike>isn't</strike> ain't&quot;

is more like it

FYP, come on man
    Add Lord Supremo to Rail
    Originally Posted by Lord Supremo View Post

FYP, come on man

I don't know why, but that is how I imagine southern drawl to be. &quot;Ain't&quot; is pretty mainstream IMO.
    Add tkeat1653 to Rail
  20. I live in Alabama.

First off haha at the jokes itt i guess but sadly some of you are misguided

When i first saw this commercial i was like wut? just based on the way he said it.

but after thinking about it, good for him! its about time a politician actually states a truth that some people may not like. He not gonna just cater to everyone and i like that.

p.s. We have a shitload of hispanics here that can't speak English and a Huge Hyundai plant with many Koreans.

He has a valid point
    Add JasonBDizzle to Rail
  21. There was a case like this actually a few years ago when the owner of Geno's Steaks in Philly had a sign asking customers only to order in English.

From wiki:

A sign on Geno's window gained press notoriety in 2006, during the immigration controversy.<sup id="cite_ref-3"><span>[</span>4<span>]</span></sup> The sign reads: &quot;This Is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING Please 'SPEAK ENGLISH'&quot;.<sup id="cite_ref-4"><span>[</span>5<span>]</span></sup> The Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations filed a discrimination complaint, arguing that Geno's violated the city's Fair Practices Ordinance, which prohibits discrimination in public accommodation, by &quot;denying service to someone because of his or her national origin, and having printed material making certain groups of people feel their patronage is unwelcome.&quot;<sup id="cite_ref-Bulletin_5-0"><span>[</span>6<span>]</span></sup> Vento had previously said the signs are directed at the Mexican immigrants in the surrounding neighborhood.<sup id="cite_ref-6"><span>[</span>7<span>]</span></sup>

Vento says no one has been refused service for not speaking English, but said, &quot;If I can't understand you, you might not get the sandwich you thought you ordered.&quot;<sup id="cite_ref-Bulletin_5-1"><span>[</span>6<span>]</span></sup>

The Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations found probable cause that the sign is discriminatory. The commission says the sign could make non-English-speakers feel unwelcome or discriminated against.<sup id="cite_ref-cause_7-0"><span>[</span>8<span>]</span></sup>

Daytime shot of Geno's

One of two eating areas at Geno's.

Vento enlisted the aid of the Southeastern Legal Foundation, a public-interest legal organization.<sup id="cite_ref-cause_7-1"><span>[</span>8<span>]</span></sup> In 2006 the Foundation had defended a bar owner cited by the Ohio Civil Rights Commission for a sign reading &quot;For Service, Speak English.&quot; That case was settled when the owner removed the sign.<sup id="cite_ref-8"><span>[</span>9<span>]</span></sup>

Responding in an interview with Fox News analyst Neil Cavuto, Vento stated that he does not turn away any customer, and therefore does not discriminate. He also vowed to keep his sign displayed no matter how much pressure he receives. He explained to Cavuto that his parents had to learn English when they came to the U.S. He said that if his customers order in any other language, he'll give them Cheez Whiz on bread. Vento posed some rhetorical questions: &quot;If one goes into a Puerto Rican neighborhood, how many signs would be seen in English?,&quot; and &quot;When one is on the telephone, it may say press 1 for English, press 2 for Spanish; but where is the number for, say, Italian or Korean?&quot;<sup id="cite_ref-9"><span>[</span>10<span>]</span></sup>

After the story gained national attention, Philadelphia City Councilman James Kenney said, &quot;He went on his little act and hit the talk shows. He's like a legend in his own mind. He's spun it so that he's a martyr in people's minds in order to gain financial benefit. He's a selfish individual.&quot;<sup id="cite_ref-10"><span>[</span>11<span>]</span></sup>

On March 19, 2008, Philadelphia's Commission on Human Relations ruled that the restaurant did not violate the city's Fair Practices Ordinance
    Add tkeat1653 to Rail
  22. Keep it up GOP.
    Add Underdog to Rail
    Originally Posted by JasonBDizzle View Post

but after thinking about it, good for him! its about time a politician actually states a truth that some people may not like

Dude, it's alabama. Him saying that is politically +ev. If I worked for him I'd advice him to say it in public 20x a day.
    Add The Precedent to Rail
  24. If I moved to Mexico or anywhere else that speaks a language I do not, and I asked/expected the government to cater to my English needs. I hope they would tell me to GTFO.
    Add dacrazesta to Rail
    Originally Posted by Underdog34 View Post

Keep it up GOP.

lol u think this hurts them

you are truly blinded by your fucking conceeded holier than thou attitude

option A, make everyone take test in english

option B make every sign multiple lang.

if you only had two choices which one dost the great UD <STRIKE>think </STRIKE>know is the best for everyone
    Originally Posted by tommpat2000 View Post

if you only had two choices which one dost the great UD <strike>think </strike>know is the best for everyone

make EVERY sign multiple languages? you sure?

Most of these are pictures or numbers.

Add tkeat1653 to Rail
  27. yea, only like 30% require a basic understanding of the engrish

you do realize, that if the test is in english the signs will appear as they do on the road - if they can pass the test by looking at the pictures fine you get a lic. if you cant you obv shouldnt be on the road.

there isnt a spanish version in real life so why would there be one for the test?
  28. There is barely anything you need to understand on those signs compared to what you need to know to read English.

A test to get a license asks actual questions that one who does not speak English could probably easily answer in their native language, even with the signs in English. Why should they not be able to drive then?
    Add slaps825 to Rail

there isnt a spanish version in real life so why would there be one for the test?

would a &quot;spanish version&quot; have different numerical values?

I'm under the assumption that the numerical 6 is a 6 in any language.
    Add tkeat1653 to Rail

if you only had two choices which one dost the great UD <strike>think </strike>know is the best for everyone

I really don't have much of a problem with the state of Alabama requiring that all driving tests be written in English only. Actually, I have no problem with it. It is perfectly reasonable for a State to say that since 90% of its citizens speak English, it will not bother to cater to small minorities at great expense for a driver's test.

Perfectly reasonable.

However, the commercial made by the GOP candidate for governor is all about appealing to white people and racism. You can't tell me that of all the issues facing the state of Alabama, the language of driver's license tests is important enough to warrant being a major platform for becoming the governor of the state. It's just not THAT important. So why does this guy put that particular issue in his commercial? Because he wants to get exactly the responses that a lot of people have given ITT. He's playing to a certain mindset. It will work in the short term.

Keep it up GOP.
    Add Underdog to Rail