[x]

See Where You Rank in Washington

1. I'm fully aware that I'm in the minority here, but I just don't get what the hell is so special about Austin. I grew up in Atlanta, graduated from high school in Plano (suburb of Dallas), graduated from Texas Tech, then lived in Dallas again before moving to Houston for a year to work for ESPN radio and moved to Austin last October after my girlfriend was transferred here. I've been here for almost 8 months now, so I believe I've been here long enough to form an opinion and the reason I mentioned the cities I've previously lived is so you know what cities I'm comparing Austin to.

Before coming here, all I heard was how incredible a city Austin is (first, it's not a city, it's a fucking town), and how jealous my friends and family were that I was moving here. "Oh man, Austin is so fun." and "There is so much to do in Austin!"

Umm, no, there's not so much to do in Austin. The biggest selling points of Austin are 1) the outdoors, 2) the live music scene and 3) the bar scene. First off, fuck the outdoors. What the hell is so awesome about going hiking in the heat? Who cares? Even if you do like camping/hiking etc. doesn't that shit get old? How many times can someone hike the same fucking place? The music scene: are you serious? Who cares about seeing bands that you've never heard of? SXSW and Austin City limits are more overrated than Tracy McGrady. A bunch of dirty, sweaty hippies listening to music that no one's heard of. Wow, incredible. News Flash: any band worth seeing plays national tours and you can see them anywhere, so who fucking cares about Austin's "music scene". And then there's the bar scene. Yeah, 6th street is fun. The first 40 times. What the hell do you do and where the hell do you go after that? 4th street? It's the same places and the same people every time. What are you doing tonite? Maggie May's? The Ranch? Union Park? Umm, didn't you go there last weekend? And the weekend before? And aren't you going tomorrow?

There's hippies and homeless people everywhere, everyone smokes weed (grow up already?), it's scorching fucking hot, there are no professional sports teams (although UT fans may think differently---fuck, they're obnoxious), no museums of note, no IMAX, a lack of fine dining, terrible traffic, etc. etc. etc.

I read an article recently in the local "Austin" magazine entitled "We don't want to be like Dallas." Why the fuck not?!?! Dallas OWNS this fucking town. I know you have to dress well to go out in Dallas, so maybe that's why everyone here hates Dallas. Who wants to go to a fucking shitty dive bar where Lone Star is the drink of choice? Fuck that place. Dallas has better looking women, a better bar scene, better places to live, better restaurants, better shopping, professional sports teams, better museums, more places to work, nicer hotels and the Mavs. Yeah, definitely don't want to be like that place, huh?

Sorry for the incessant rambling, it's just amazing to me how many people I meet here that think this place is so fucking awesome. I always say, what's so awesome and I always hear things like "live music man" and "6th street dude" and "oh man, the outdoors". Fuck those things and fuck this place.

Keep Austin weird? Make Austin normal!! That city slogan is everything that's wrong with this place. There is nothing cool at all about anti-establishment for the sake of anti-establishment. And really, how weird is Austin? No weirder than any other fucking place in the country. The people here just want it to be weird and that pisses me off.

ps..The only saving grace for this city is the fact that Democrats outnumber the most obnoxious and divisive people in the history of the world (Republicans). Unfortunately, they're the uneducated, pot smoking no money making liberals-by-default. But I guess I'll take what I can get in that regard :)
  2. Stubbs BBQ...
  3. I know nothing about Austin, Texas but this story was lol (in a good way).
  4. Texas >>>>>>>> Tech
  5. Not last year they weren't
  6. I have to agree with you for the most part but I enjoy a long weekend in Austin. You probably are a Cowboys fan and dont like the Longhorns already so thats probably why you dont understand the hype. I think Dallas is a better city to live in by far but its also a lot bigger.
  7. I'm guessing that certain types of people feel differantly than you and enjoy the things that you seem to despise.

So like, get a better job than your old lady and GTFO of Austin if you hate it so much imo. Doesn't sound like you have tons of friends/family and a mortgage there, what's keeping you? Does the woman make more money than you or something?
  8. Fucking.Hate.The.Cowboys.
  9. 6th Street. Sororities. Dell.
  10. I wasn't talking about football. I was talking about the education and the overall college experience. Don't worry I expected a Plano and Texas Tech graduate to be ignorant and not understand that.
  11. I live here because the girl I'm about to be engaged to got a fantastic job opportunity here, and as much as I"d rather be back in Dallas, I wouldn't leave her for that. And why would you assume I don't have a job and/or am incapable of making money in this city because I don't like it?
  12. Fort Worth >>> Dallas
    Just sayin'.
    Originally Posted by dallasttu View Post

I live here because the girl I'm about to be engaged to got a fantastic job opportunity here, and as much as I"d rather be back in Dallas, I wouldn't leave her for that. And why would you assume I don't have a job and/or am incapable of making money in this city because I don't like it?

When did I say you can't make money or don't have a job?

I just assumed she was making more than you because you followed her there, and if I were in your shoes I'd be making more money than my old lady and living where I wanted too, unless she was balling out of control then I'd STFU and enjoy the ride.
  14. did somebody just get their period??
  15. How was I to infer that from Texas>>>>>>>>Tech? The college experience is fantastic in general. I imagine that going to UT is a great experience as is going to Texas Tech, Florida, Stanford, Georgia Tech, etc. And since you didn't attend TT, wouldn't you be the ignorant one for stating that the college experience at Texas is better than the one at Texas Tech?
  16. you drink alcohol? (grow up already)

17. Like I said, 6th street is fun. The first 40 times. And sorority girls? Who cares, there are good looking women everywhere. And who cares about Dell, what does that have to do with anything? So there's a company headquartered here. Wow.
    Originally Posted by Goldenad View Post

you drink alcohol? (grow up already)

Sure, sometimes, more than some, not as often as others. But I don't drink to get drunk. And people smoke pot to get high. Big difference. I don't drink to get fucked up, people who smoke pot smoke pot to get fucked up.
  19. Why do you drink then?

If I'm only smoking pot to be cool with my friends does that put me as your equal?
  20. A city is what you make of it. If there is booze, weed, parks, trails find something you like. I never heard Austin to be that amazing a city, just a bigger one in Texas.

Any city over 100000 has most of the same fast food, theathers, etc. Just sounds like you havent found anything to do there yet.

One thing i am always amazed when i travel is how similar every city is, can be in the middle of shanghai eating pizza hut then go to watch transformers 2. Or in middle east drinking starbucks. Seriously just sounds like you havent found anything you liek there yet, keep looking.
  21. I may have a glass of wine over dinner with my girlfriend, and if I'm at a bar, I may have a drink or two. However, the purpose of my drinking (as it the case with most people) is not to get "drunk". The purpose of smoking weed is to "get high". If you're unable to discern the difference, than I don't know what else to say. Sorry.
    Originally Posted by dallasttu View Post

I may have a glass of wine over dinner with my girlfriend, and if I'm at a bar, I may have a drink or two. However, the purpose of my drinking (as it the case with most people) is not to get "drunk". The purpose of smoking weed is to "get high". If you're unable to discern the difference, than I don't know what else to say. Sorry.

I just fucking told you I only do it to be cool, I don't even like getting high it makes me paranoid.
  23. Ummmm, nope this is completely wrong for many.

A lot of people who toke up just do it to try to relax, see a different perspective, not to get "fucked up" Same reason as many people drink. Honestly dont know anyone who smokes weed to get fucked up. Even "getting high" is just an expression

I drink sometimes, sometimes to get drunk and sometimes just with dinner, either way it is just to change perspective. Same as if i smoke up.

People do shit like heroin or crack to get fucked up, pot barely brings me to normal.
    Hate to hear people who dont know what they are talking about post about weed.
  24. I may have overstated my disdain for this city. What bothers me is the people and what they make it out to be more so than the city itself. Other cities I like a lot more, yes, but Austin can be OK. It's just that people make it out to seem as though this is some magical, wonderful place that's much greater than any other city and it's not, and their reasons for thinking such (live music, outdoors, bar scene) are overrated here and simply are not my cup of tea.
  25. looooooooool while I agree with the OP to a certain extent, he comes across as an uptight, whiny bitch itt.
  26. Holy shit now you get it!

I mean did you honestly think people were just telling you how great it was as some evil plot to lure you away from Dallas?

I'm sure those people actually liked the shit you hate, and you just weren't clever enough to take advice from people who like the same shit as you.
  27. lol someone is on their period! go wa wa wa to your g.f. about it! we see who wears the big shoes in the relationship, g.f. working and guy laying on the couch!
    Originally Posted by jtown1010 View Post

Holy shit now you get it!

I mean did you honestly think people were just telling you how great it was as some evil plot to lure you away from Dallas?

I'm sure those people actually liked the shit you hate, and you just weren't clever enough to take advice from people who like the same shit as you.

In what way did I imply that I thought people were trying to "lure me away from Dallas." I don't understand what you're saying I was not "clever enough" for.