[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. So, I'm not calling anyone out in any way, although I've seen some different comments about how government programs target the lazy.

Interestingly enough... there are more white people on welfare than there are black people. If you just google it, it is quite apparent. There are more white people in this country than any other race. Why is the face of most social programs like welfare construed as minority faces to the people?

The below is just one example, there are many more.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...50/ai_17361016

Really, why are programs like welfare sold as non-white publicly? What does this say about the status of race relations in America currently?
    Add jesterwords to Rail
  2. thank you for calling me out..

aLAJF;AJF;aljfk;lajdf;jafkl;ja;klfja;kljfa;ljf
    Add cmkpics to Rail
  3. lol... stop it
    Thread StarterAdd jesterwords to Rail
  4. I would be on welfare.. but too lazy to fill out the paper work
    Add meccabush to Rail
  5. really, you have no thoughts on how perception is created by the images and stories that are released by our media outlets, tv shows, and entertainment media?
  6. Yes but whites outnumber blacks in this country by what, at least 5:1? It's natural then that technically more white people by sheer numbers versus percentage of the population would receive more welfare.
    Add emoneypitt to Rail
    Originally Posted by meccabush View Post

I would be on welfare.. but too lazy to fill out the paper work

Just get your babies momma to do it, duh.....
    Add GrenadierB to Rail
  8. Welfare is definitely not a white/black thing. It is also not just a lazy man's crutch either. But it definitely needs reform b/c it is abused and wasteful spending.
    Add nickdodoublegee to Rail
  9. so, how then does the perception become... when someone ways welfare, you picture a black person as the image?

If you do not, hey that is cool... we are fed images of black people (and minorities) on our TV, in our papers, movies, etc. The perception is that the word welfare denotes a person of color of some sort.

Why is that?
  10. I think the media stereotypes all sorts of things, not just welfare. It's up to individual to do their own research, as you have done here, and make their own conclusions. Unfortunately, a lot of people buy into any image shown to them as being true. Perhaps some of this is that the dominant view of things is taken from large, urban centers, where there are much higher minority populations as opposed to suburban and rural areas. A lot of the popular shows on TV, a lot of big budget movies and a lot of major newspapers come from urban areas.
    Add emoneypitt to Rail
    Originally Posted by jesterwords View Post

really, you have no thoughts on how perception is created by the images and stories that are released by our media outlets, tv shows, and entertainment media?

My thought hmmmmmm
    It is all propaganda you are coerced in school to stand for the pledge of allegiance. When sufficiently indoctrinated you are allowed a bit more room on your leash. Then you are taught that democracy is the greatest system ever devised and we the people govern ourselves so you vote. They don't tell you that the media that is suppose to provide the fair coverage of national events is not only censored by the government (for security reasons) but also their sources of income (advertisers). So then you have an independent thought and begin to look into the backgrounds of the individuals you are suppose to choose from. You find interesting details that cause you to dislike even the most popular candidate. So because of the system in place you are left with few options vote for the turd sandwich, the douche, or don't vote. All options destroy your freedom as they all reinforce the status quo.

besides dont they usually use the term minority for political correctness these days
    Add meccabush to Rail
  12. good thoughts
  13. If you want to get technical about it, compare the % of the black population on welfare vs the % of the white population on welfare. It doesn't really matter to me, I disagree with welfare as a program (in the current state), not with it's recepients.
    Add ilovescotch to Rail
  14. ilovescotch that is technical, but it is a valid point. What are the %'s?
    Add acp to Rail
  15. although there are more white people on welfare, there is a larger % of the black population compared to the white population on it. also, black people tend to use more govt programs (e.g. govt housing ) for a longer period of time (basically, if they are on welfare than a lot of the time they are on it their whole lives). whereas white people might be on welfare, but on average, its for a much much much shorter time.
    Add JmL1984 to Rail
  16. actually, I was hoping for this counter-point to come out.

Yes, there is data that suggests that a higher percentage of the black population is on welfare than the percentage of white people. As an actual percentage of their population.

So, lets say that whites are 65% of the population and that blacks are 12% (I'm making these numbers up, too lazy to get the actual ones).

If that 65% = 65 million people (numbers made up for discussion)

and

If that 12% = 12 million (numbers made up for discusison)

So then...

If 10% of whites are on Welfare = 6.5 million

If 35% of blacks are on welfare = 4.2 million

So, there would be more whites on welfare than blacks, but as a percentage of their segment of the population, it is a different number.

My counter point to this point is the following. It costs more to support those 6.5 million than it does the 4.2 million. So, why are we conditioned when we hear the word welfare to picture a person of color in our heads?
  17. a better question to ask is:

"why do all the black people i see driving cars in the city i live have handycapped signs and stickers?"

and im talking about the 20 somethings with rims and iced out chains...that limp really medical?
    Add cmkpics to Rail
  18. lol, stay on topic

My counter point to this point is the following. It costs more to support those 6.5 million than it does the 4.2 million. So, why are we conditioned when we hear the word welfare to picture a person of color in our heads?

If you want to split it by race, look who is funding these programs. I think it would be safe to assume the 65M white people funded the welfare program for not only the 6.5M white people, but also a relatively good % of the black people.

EDIT:

Example, using your numbers, say every citizen contributes $10 to welfare. The gives a welfare budget of 770M, which gives each of the 10.7M (6.5M whites and 4.2M blacks) recipients ~$71.96.

So white people use $467,740,000 of the $650,000,000 they contribute, aka contribute ~$182M more then they receive.

Black people use $302,260,000, after they contribute $120,000,000, aka use ~182M more then they contribute.
    Add ilovescotch to Rail
  20. (remember this is just for discussion, so I'm arguing the counter points, its not really a reflection of my actual views on the topic at hand)

Do you believe at all that the social enviornment has attributed to the lack of progression within the black community?

Brown vs. the board of education was which year?

How long does it take to erase years of repression?

Is the socioeconomic status of certain groups self-replicating? Or are they a result of continuing repression?

Are there external factors that are still slowly being changed that have attributed to the effect that you display concerning how much is contributed by race?

Meaning, are there more and better jobs for white males than there are for black males?

What about education possibilities in grades 1-12?

Is the old white man's club still in power? Are they really sharing?

your thoughts?
  21. jester, are you using real numbers here or made up numbers. if they're made up, why would you use them on such an important topic where the numbers are important?
    Add dolphin13 to Rail

Brown vs. the board of education was which year?

May 17, 1954

Add Mr Galt to Rail
  23. because the real point of the thread is the perception that we get when a word is mentioned.

What I was really trying to accomplish is for you to mention the word welfare, or when you read it, put a picture to the word. Visualization occurs seamlessly in our thoughts when reading or hearing conversation.

It seems to me that in the white community, where I am familiar, and live... as well as those I have met and heard their comments. It appears to me that the overall mental image or stereotype is that of a person of color.

As well, I want you do to some work if you really care about it and find the numbers yourself. I mention that you do that at least one other time in this thread. I'm not doing the work for you mainly because they are irrelevant to the point I was originally trying to make.

Why is it that the perception of the word welfare is that of a person of color? When there are more white people on welfare than black people (it is a fact).
  24. Who associates black people with welfare? Are you projecting OP?
    Add dodgingjets to Rail
  25. I just don't like seeing numbers being thrown around if they're not true. a good chunk of OTers will see a number and use it as fact.

The only number I could find was 41 percent white, 36 percent black and 19 percent hispanic
    Add dolphin13 to Rail
  26. "It seems to me that in the white community, where I am familiar, and live... as well as those I have met and heard their comments. It appears to me that the overall mental image or stereotype is that of a person of color."

and, I'm playing devil's advocate... as well, you have to read every post I've made in this thread to completely understand the purpose of it.
  27. I don't even know what the fuck welfare is.

How do you qualify for it?
    How much is it?
    How long can you stay on it?
    Do you have to have a kid?
    Does the general term welfare include people who are disabled?
    Add dolphin13 to Rail

and, I'm playing devil's advocate... as well, you have to read every post I've made in this thread to completely understand the purpose of it.

I was just going to ask why you would want to play Devils advocate when you have already thought you answers and retoric to people ideas.... you should just have a conversation with yourself.
    Add Wear to Rail
  29. The actual numbers fluctuate, obviously.

You will have to actually read the following reports from the house of ways and means. Just do a google search on the following:

Overview of Entitlement Programs, Committee on Ways and Means, U.S. House of Representatives

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/media/pdf/greenbook2003/AppendixG.pdf
    here you go, just click here
    Originally Posted by Wear View Post

you should just have a conversation with yourself.

well then, I seem to be having multiple conversations with those other than myself. If you don't want to participate, minus the thread and don't come back.