1. I'm just curious who around here owns actual gold? in what form?

I only have about 12 ounces (1 10 oz. bar and a couple coins).
    Just from the little researching I've done this seems like something everyone should own in their portfolio. But I don't have any friends or family that actually own gold (besides jewelry).
    Add dolphin13 to Rail
  2. I have a couple of 1/4oz coins, nothing special
    Add TMLMS13 to Rail
  3. I have a few Gold American Buffalo and a bunch of Gold American Eagles. Solid investments. I've always been told to have at least 20% of investments in gold or silver but none of my friends have any either. My dad had a lot of it and got me started a few years back.
    Add LeftyMark to Rail
  4. I've got a high speed modem and a silver plated scrotum.
    Add dnb128 to Rail
  5. hahahaha

and the crowd begins to chant

DIG THEM UP!!! DIG THEM UP!!!!
    Thread StarterAdd dolphin13 to Rail
  6. David Goldman, a former hedge fund manager and private investor that I highly respect, characterizes gold, as an investment, to be nothing other than end-of-the-world insurance. Other then there being any reason to believe we are in for some sort of imminent disaster there is no real reason to own gold, other than to look flashy. If you're looking for safety in uncertain times there exist alternatives that provide that security, typically at better prices, than gold. T-Bills come to mind, but with more investigation you can find something better.
    Add oBOBCATu to Rail
  7. these are the two coins I just got. My bar is in my safety deposit box. in a bank I heard that could go under. Prolly should go get it out, just in case. even though I can't imagine the bank would seize contents of safe deposit boxes before going under. but who knows

8. you have seen the performance of the dollar this decade, right? I guess you could buy a shit load of Euro's too. I just mean invest away from anything to do with the dollar, and gold does that.
  9. I don't mean to be glib, but people trade into other currencies to hedge against a decline in the purchasing power of the dollar every day. There are many different currencies that can provide that sort of relative security better than gold.

When considering whether gold is a suitable investment you should look at things from both the supply and demand sides. You're already recognizing the supply side constraint when you consider gold to be an acceptable hedge against dollar declines. But you ignore the demand side, which is a crucial mistake. Gold is not an industrial metal. Gold is really only percieved as valuable insofar as people begin to increase their expectations for some sort of end of the world scenario, be it war related or due to an economic crash (which partly has contributed to the recent run-up in gold prices). Or there is an increase in people wanting flashy jewelry. There may be other reasons but I cannot think of any.
    Add oBOBCATu to Rail
  10. yes i have been saving gold since high school, mostly scrap but its gold. also been buyin savings bonds since high school, they add up.
    Add waboose to Rail
  11. I have no desire to invest in something that only increases in value when the dollar decreases
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  12. how do you got about purchasing gold? How much is a bar, and can you just buy it and stash it somewhere?

this seems like a good idea.
    Add TheBigEarn to Rail
  13. Add Lameass_ to Rail
    Add BigGunX to Rail
    Originally Posted by BigEarn7 View Post

how do you got about purchasing gold? How much is a bar, and can you just buy it and stash it somewhere?

this seems like a good idea.

just call around to some local coin shops and ask for any 1 oz. gold coins. should be around 900-930.

lefty gave me this site but you have to buy at least 5 ounces for it to be worth it price wise

http://bullion.nwtmint.com/gold.php
    Originally Posted by Chazmental View Post

This is why I think promession will gain in popularity! Metals come out before you go in the ground.
    Add Seykota to Rail
  17. grab your shovel
    Add TMLMS13 to Rail
  18. next time i go prospecting i'll do an OT stake lol the real deal. actually there are quite a few of us p fivers who live around the gold country. we should get a trip together.
    Add nastysmell to Rail
  19. what kind of luck have you had prospecting? what's been your biggest find.

I've always though about how it would be cool going prospecting for gold. Granted, my fear of outside could cause a problem. lol
    Originally Posted by XXEDPXX View Post

I have no desire to invest in something that only increases in value when the dollar decreases

this is foolish way of thinking
    Add LuckiernU to Rail
  21. I own 40 oz. Check out kitco.com
    Add LuckiernU to Rail
    Originally Posted by oBOBCATu View Post

But you ignore the demand side, which is a crucial mistake. Gold is not an industrial metal. Gold is really only percieved as valuable insofar as people begin to increase their expectations for some sort of end of the world scenario, be it war related or due to an economic crash (which partly has contributed to the recent run-up in gold prices). Or there is an increase in people wanting flashy jewelry. There may be other reasons but I cannot think of any.

As a side note, I think this is why gold is a good candidate for an objective standard of monetary value. The supply is static, and there is little fundamental reason for the demand to fluctuate, other than short-term speculation.
    Add emcee21 to Rail
  23. just a question emcee. all the gold in the world equals 4.5 trillion dollars assuming 1,000 per ounce. But just in the U.S. there is 7.6 trillion in paper currency already printed.

Is going back to the gold standard realistic given this info?
    Originally Posted by dolphin13 View Post

just a question emcee. all the gold in the world equals 4.5 trillion dollars assuming 1,000 per ounce. But just in the U.S. there is 7.6 trillion in paper currency already printed.

No. That's why we went off of it. You can't do it with a deficit, or if you do it with a deficit, it's temporary and not sustainable for the long haul.
    Add Seykota to Rail
    Originally Posted by dolphin View Post

Given the numbers you just gave me, I find it odd that you think *I'm* the one that needs a reality check, and not those printing all that money. Whether it's "practical" to move back to the gold standard tomorrow afternoon is irrelevant to me (or at least irrelevant to my point about gold).
    Add emcee21 to Rail
  26. I don't own gold Bars, but I have cash which is backed by Gold, if I need it I'm sure I can just go down the Bank and Swap my government Bills($$$$) in exchange for Gold. Am I wrong???
    Add elendil to Rail
  27. My original gold wedding band is somewhere in a river in Czech Republic. It was about 1 oz of gold. I'm currently on my 3rd wedding band and this one has no gold whatsoever.
    Add Mr Galt to Rail
  28. I said you need a reality check because of your beliefs on currency vs. gold?? Link?????

I think you need a reality check because you think all public roads should be privately owned. That's why i think you're a nutball

29. Yeah but what wife are you on?

And explanation of what happened to your ring. Was it 24k?