[x]

See Where You Rank in Washington

1. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...chizoillusion/

Schizophrenia sufferers aren’t fooled by an optical illusion known as the “hollow mask” that the rest of us fall for because connections between the sensory and conceptual areas of their brains might be on the fritz.

In the hollow mask illusion, viewers perceive a concave face (like the back side of a hollow mask) as a normal convex face. The illusion exploits our brain’s strategy for making sense of the visual world: uniting what it actually sees — known as bottom-up processing — with what it expects to see based on prior experience — known as top-down processing.

2. I'm not sure what that proves. I saw it both ways and was able to switch back and forth at will. I didn't actually see it as a regular face at first until I paused the vid.
  3. Apparently schizophrenics only see the inside of the mask as concave and don't see the convex illusion
  4. this seems kind of like how, if your hand is bigger than your face, then you have cancer.
  5. i'm a schizophrenic and so am i
    Originally Posted by saxman View Post

i'm a schizophrenic and so am i

har har har
  7. I'm completely unable to see it as concave. I've never seen an illusion that works 100% of the time, even when I know exactly what's at play. Will try again later, once I tie a buzz on.
  8. I couldn't see it as concave either. Take that, my conclusion-jumping ex-psychiatrists!

Edit: really cool vid, OP
    Edited By: userid363 Nov 28th, 2010 at 12:30 AM
  9. sick im not schizophrenic
    Originally Posted by emcee21 View Post

I'm completely unable to see it as concave. I've never seen an illusion that works 100% of the time, even when I know exactly what's at play.

Same here. I still can't get the damn ballerina to spin the other way.

you do know that schizophrenia is different than multiple personality disorder right?
  12. Didn't watch vid, but is the pic at the top what they see as concave?

How is that possible when the shadows are clear the face is sticking up
    Originally Posted by tommpat2000 View Post

Didn't watch vid, but is the pic at the top what they see as concave?

How is that possible when the shadows are clear the face is sticking up

Not sure about the mask...apparently when shown something like in the video all they see is concave
    Originally Posted by DexterCain View Post

you do know that schizophrenia is different than multiple personality disorder right?

yes

15. Woot! Not schizo!!!

Originally Posted by Tsupa View Post

Same here. I still can't get the damn ballerina to spin the other way.

I can get it to switch but then its stuck going the other way for a while.

Anybody ever stare at a ceiling fan and have it appear to be going the other way for a couple rotations? That totally trips me out. Same thing happens with car wheels too.
  16. I saw it both ways. Pretty cool vid.
  17. unless youve experience schizophernia there is NO WAY to describe it. you dont just see people that arent there like A Beautiful Mind would lead you to beleive. You see things on fire shooting lasers out of their eyes singing "any way you want it" by journey backwards while the world seems to collapse on itself.

dont know if its on youtube but lady with schizophrenia made video showing what SHE saw..very disturbing
  18. ^^^you saw a concave face didn't you?
  19. creepy vid for sure.
  20. one of my best friends of high school began to develop his schizophrenia in the middle of senior year.. it started with him hearing a woman's voice who became so persuasive that he would sometimes respond verbally (a lot of times getting angry because she would not leave him alone). He was a semi regular weed smoker back then and I thought he was just maybe high or fucking with me, or both.. I now know better but its funny what non weed smokers think about possible effects of the ganj's.. after about a month of this voice going away and seeing him go to teachers, friend's parents, etc. asking for help, it became obvious to me that something was really wrong.. After senior year we both went off doing diff things with our lives, he went to NYC and i went to college.. but when we met up a year later is when i saw how messed up he really was..

he had been living in new york city and working at banana republic, he also kept talking about how serious he was about his new modeling career which was way out of character and a def red flag.. at this point i'm not sure if even the banana republic part is true but i suspect it is because he worked at the local banana republic in high school so it would make sense to transfer.. anyways, he came back form nyc full blown schizo.. he believes that while he was working at the banana republic in time square that ivanca trump came in one day and they hit it off.. he says he was dating ivanca trump and got her pregnant and she is keeping the baby.. donald trump found out and was very upset because they were not married and because my freind is black and said that donald trump told him personally that he was not gonna have a black grandchild and was gonna kill my friend.. so now he is constantly on the run from donald trump who employs government agents to follow my friend and try to kill him.. he claims they have unsuccesfully attempted to kill him 20-30 times now.. everything from trying to hit him with cars to planting poisoned sodas in vending machines.. he believes that everything is bugged and calls the bugging device transponders.. everytime he enters a new location he checks for transponders and if he doesnt like a place he will just stay silent until he leaves.. the fact that we grew up in the dc suburbs (where a lot of people look like "agents") does not help at all.. he eventually snapped at mall one day when he was getting in his car to leave, he thought a man in a parked car was spying on him and there to kill him, so he stepped on his gas and just hit the guy with his car, then ran.. the cops came to his house about an hour later to charge him with a hit and run.. when he went to court he told the judge the whole trump government agent story.. the judge sentenced him to mandatory mental health screenings where they diagnosed him with schizophrenia and prescribed him meds.. he wont take the meds because he thinks the doctors are just more agents employed by donald trump and that the pills will kill him.. this been going on for about 8 years now and the whole time he has believed that ivanka is pregnant and keeping the baby.. the whole thing is a complete mess and very sad.. schizophrenia usually develops in the late teens and early 20s, so he was completely normal growing up..

sorry if the format and grammar is bad.. i just kind of spewed it out

cliffs:
    best friend from high school was normal
    then he turned schizo
    believes that he got ivanka trump pregnant and that donald trump employees government agents to track and kill him
  21. Had a friend that I grew up with develop full blow schizo disorder his senior year of college. As SCooker said, sad indeed.
  22. The optical illusion for me was that as the Charley Chaplin mask began to return to view for a fleeting second it looked like the face of Ronald Regan with a cheap theatrical mustache, and then the face changed as the view returned to full front-on to look like Hitler wearing a clown hat.
    Originally Posted by SCooker View Post

one of my best friends of high school began to develop his schizophrenia in the middle of senior year.. it started with him hearing a woman's voice who became so persuasive that he would sometimes respond verbally (a lot of times getting angry because she would not leave him alone). He was a semi regular weed smoker back then and I thought he was just maybe high or fucking with me, or both.. I now know better but its funny what non weed smokers think about possible effects of the ganj's.. after about a month of this voice going away and seeing him go to teachers, friend's parents, etc. asking for help, it became obvious to me that something was really wrong.. After senior year we both went off doing diff things with our lives, he went to NYC and i went to college.. but when we met up a year later is when i saw how messed up he really was..

he had been living in new york city and working at banana republic, he also kept talking about how serious he was about his new modeling career which was way out of character and a def red flag.. at this point i'm not sure if even the banana republic part is true but i suspect it is because he worked at the local banana republic in high school so it would make sense to transfer.. anyways, he came back form nyc full blown schizo.. he believes that while he was working at the banana republic in time square that ivanca trump came in one day and they hit it off.. he says he was dating ivanca trump and got her pregnant and she is keeping the baby.. donald trump found out and was very upset because they were not married and because my freind is black and said that donald trump told him personally that he was not gonna have a black grandchild and was gonna kill my friend.. so now he is constantly on the run from donald trump who employs government agents to follow my friend and try to kill him.. he claims they have unsuccesfully attempted to kill him 20-30 times now.. everything from trying to hit him with cars to planting poisoned sodas in vending machines.. he believes that everything is bugged and calls the bugging device transponders.. everytime he enters a new location he checks for transponders and if he doesnt like a place he will just stay silent until he leaves.. the fact that we grew up in the dc suburbs (where a lot of people look like "agents") does not help at all.. he eventually snapped at mall one day when he was getting in his car to leave, he thought a man in a parked car was spying on him and there to kill him, so he stepped on his gas and just hit the guy with his car, then ran.. the cops came to his house about an hour later to charge him with a hit and run.. when he went to court he told the judge the whole trump government agent story.. the judge sentenced him to mandatory mental health screenings where they diagnosed him with schizophrenia and prescribed him meds.. he wont take the meds because he thinks the doctors are just more agents employed by donald trump and that the pills will kill him.. this been going on for about 8 years now and the whole time he has believed that ivanka is pregnant and keeping the baby.. the whole thing is a complete mess and very sad.. schizophrenia usually develops in the late teens and early 20s, so he was completely normal growing up..

sorry if the format and grammar is bad.. i just kind of spewed it out

cliffs:
    best friend from high school was normal
    then he turned schizo
    believes that he got ivanka trump pregnant and that donald trump employees government agents to track and kill him

what if it was all true, just imagine...

I was going to post this

old farts think alike I guess
  25. I have mild schizopheria. if NOBODY is around I will literally act a part in a movie and interact with other characters in the movie(star wars, touch of evil, kill bill, westerns).

I always sleep with a fan on cause if its quiet i ALWAYS hear shit.....there is a lady that screams "THE NUMBER WAS NINE" along with a bunch of various noises, I can hear the noise a video poker machine when its paying out credits like I was sitting there playing it.

The paranoia is the worst part. I dont trust anybody and I go into just about any social interaction on the defensive expecting the worse.
  26. ummm
  27. This thread seriously confuses me... I think Im schizo... than again i might just be plain dumb