1. I go on poker trips quite often, for 5-6 days at a time... and if I was to estimate I averaged a profit of roughly $1000 per trip from poker
    I have only had 2 losing trips (stop loss of $500-600) in the last 10+ trips. (Before that a general winner too)
    My trips consist of roughly 8-12 hour poker days, free food (player points), minimum 2 complimentary rooms a week (suites sometimes) and many other casino perks
    I play an occasional game of 2/5 as well but not nearly enough to have any idea of play. (slightly ahead in ~20 hours)

    I am thinking about moving down in my 30' Airstream trailer full time.... RV's and Trailers stay free for any duration
    The overhead is VERY VERY low given that all my food will be free (earned from player points) as well as NO RENT

    My Bankroll is effectively $2000-3000 (Given that If I lose 2-3k straight I will obviously rethink the poker dream)

    Given the very low cost of living, and the soft games, I really feel like I can take it serious and grind into a solid bankroll playing 1/2, then 2/5 and up.

    I feel like keeping good health and a good schedule will be just as important as playing good poker.
    So a couple questions:
    • Would you say it is possible to make a living playing 1/2 at a fishy casino? (Given subject is a consistent winning live player)
    • What kind of profit could be expected hourly in the long run?

    I have heard in a couple podcasts that a 5c/10c game online is equivalent to a live $1/$2 game.. Any thoughts?

    Please chime in with opinions on the idea.... Thanks!

    Here the Airstream!
    Edited By: Channing83 Feb 24th, 2011 at 11:30 PM
    Add Channing83 to Rail
  2. im trying to do that in vegas with 5-6k, staying at a friends house so no rent, but will need $ for food
    Add yoonaSNSDjess to Rail
  3. SO you have 10-15BI's and want to go pro, good luck man.
    Add elendil to Rail
  4. wait till you have 10 to 12k and no other debts whatsoever
    Edited By: p0lecat Feb 23rd, 2011 at 01:19 PM
    Add p0lecat to Rail
  5. Wait until you build a roll that can comfortably play 2/5 NL.....You will not avg 1k a day playing 1/2NL...obv some nights are better than others....2k-3k is just asking for trouble....no matter what you play or what decisions you make you need to make sure your bankroll is healthy and you have a clear head to play. This means no crazy commitments and no debt...These things will surely take you off your A game.

    Also while 2/5NL is easily beatable for a good competent player that doesn't mean you should try to play under rolled. If you want to play casually for the time being and build up a roll you can always take shots when ready (2-3 buyins) at 2/5NL and drop back down if it doesn't work out.

    Are you planning on doing this at Foxwoods?
    Add McStraddle to Rail
  6.  
    Originally Posted by elendil View Post

    SO you have 10-15BI's and want to go pro, good luck man.

    It is a bit low from a bankroll management perspective, but he can just give up if he loses $2k+. If he goes on a good heater to start, then there is no reason this can't continue indefinitely from a rent-free, free food perspective.

    Good luck if you try this and keep us posted on how it goes.
    Add wackyJaxon to Rail
  7. yeah 15 bis are a bit small, on an other note i think its almost impossible to go on 15 BI downer at 1/2 if the play is nearly as soft as here in europe...
     
    Add FGEasiest to Rail
  8. do they let u set up your own camp site in the lot? can u roast marshmallows and make s'mores?
     
    Add Iplaythabored to Rail
  9. yeah, it's def. possible to be a 'poker bum' and live off of 1/2. you can realistically probably expect to make $15-$20 an hour if you are reasonably good. seems rather tedious and undesirable to me. you will need a much larger bankroll too
    1 
    Add apology7 to Rail
  10. considering i did it for 2 years in calgary yeah its def possible. I lived off a 5kish roll at 1/2 games where the buyin was 300max. My roll would have climbed drasticly too however i was terrible at brm back then and spent money like crazy. So with a 15 bi roll it remained steady and i was living comfortably playin in my opinion the softest most ludacris 1/2 games in canada.
    However, when things turn and u go on a sick bad run, u go broke and have no money for rent, which i did, and its not fun. Take the guys advice and learn from my mistakes, have at least 40-50 buyins for ur game before u even consider the option.
    Add Nickv50 to Rail
  11. My buddy tried this after buying a pop up camper on ebay. Hes back home now. Broke.
    Add kingboxvii to Rail
  12. So you're debating between living in the Foxwoods parking lot grinding out a single table of 1/2 NL, eating unhealthy free casino food (you said you wanted to live healthy, good luck there), or living in beautiful Conway taking vacation-y trips down and making money.

    Hmmmm.
     
    Add MattyDaCobra to Rail
  13. I do something similar now and pay bills playing 2-5 and 1/2. I take an occasional week long trip to biloxi. I would suggest getting a part time job just to kind of offset small bills such as a date with hot chick or cell phone bill.
    Add yjbrewer to Rail
  14. apology nailed it in terms of profitability, and 20/hr is assuming your a great player......think if your not crushing 2/5 NL atleast you shouldnt bother doing this for any extended period of time, but hey if its a life goal of yours go for it!
     2
    Add z06fanatic to Rail
  15. Go for it your young and not dead if you do fail you can always get a job

    here is a thread of another guy taking a shot

    http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...e-shot-942335/
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  16. Ok guys, I just read some comments... I said my poker bankroll is 'effectively' 2-3k. I have much more than that, however if I am down 2/3k after the first month I will reconsider my plan.
    Personally with weak 1/2 players I feel like I'd have to an idiot to lose 2-3k straight. If I did I would take the rest of my life-roll and get a rental and a real job.

    The food selection is great, dozens off options ranging from fast food to gourmet ... eating healthy should be fun and diverser

    I plan on starting at foxwoods yes. (Very nice large parking lot specifically for campers)
    Thread StarterAdd Channing83 to Rail
  17.  
    Originally Posted by Channing83 View Post

    Ok guys, I just read some comments... I said my poker bankroll is 'effectively' 2-3k. I have much more than that, however if I am down 2/3k after the first month I will reconsider my plan.
    Personally with weak 1/2 players I feel like I'd have to an idiot to lose 2-3k straight. If I did I would take the rest of my life-roll and get a rental and a real job.

    The food selection is great, dozens off options ranging from fast food to gourmet ... eating healthy should be fun and diverser

    I plan on starting at foxwoods yes. (Very nice large parking lot specifically for campers)

    I mean Im sure the biggest 1/2 winner would lose 2k-3k at some point considering your only playing like 100 bb effective.....how old are you btw? if your in your early 20s or straight out of college, then yeh Id go for it, but if your nearing 30 or older, prob time to get things moving with a career.....Furthermore playing in a casino 40+ hours a week is awful and I think longterm with the food selection and your overall living situation life is going to awful. At the very least try to workout a couple times a week to keep yourself sane and healthy.
     2
    Add z06fanatic to Rail
  18. Mcstraddle, not talking 1000 profit per day, 1k up per 5 day trip. 200+ daily seems like what I profit daily
    Thread StarterAdd Channing83 to Rail
  19. Basic rules of grinding for a living .... 1. low over head ... 2. Low over head 3. 50 to 75 buy ins 4. separate from BR 1 year of bills $ in savings - i know it sounds like a lot but you can run bad for a long time and knowing that your covered really will take the stress off and prevent you from playing under stress - this may take you a year longer to get to but gives you a real chance at being a poker grinder. Also if its live vs online you need to be able to scout games so tip the pit bosses well get there cells make friends ect - be willing for a night to drop to a smaller or step up a level to a bigger game if its ripe with soft players.

    X
    Add Weapon X to Rail
  20. it can be done, last year in febuary i moved to a new city, and upon arrival found i could not get internet at my residence(i know i know wtf who cant get internet) neways i wont go into why, but,instead of doing my usual grind online, i started hitting the casino regularly, playin 1/2 and 2/5 for about 3-4 months, and although i was profitable, was just such a slow grind for me, not to mention i did not have a car at this time so 3 hrs travel a day 1.5 there and the same bak, in the end i got so bored and sick of the grind there i started grindin rush poker at an internet cafe

    happy days internet at home now, back to tournaments lol, but from my experience yes u can make an ok living at 1/2, yes it is Tedious as all hell, and at times u just want to rip ur hair out, and im to nice in person, i preferre bein at home yelling and cursing at my computer then at the felt holding it in

    but good luck mate, and on bankroll, im a bankroll nit, always had far more than i should for nething i play, i had a 20k br bak then in feb for what i was playing. Like someone else said your bankroll is definately below optimal, but its not to say it cant be done, had a friend who use to drive taxi cabs who now grinds 2/5 fulltime. he built up 1k and went str8 in, built his roll to i think 12k, then busted it all on a poker trip out of town, then came bak worked the cabs, build up another 1k, built it to over 20k, and a yr and a half later hes still going strong.

    i dont necesarrily recommend this, just thought it should be mentioned yes its possible, but just realise if you bust that roll, you never really gave yourself a good chance to succeed if this means u might not take another shot, if i was you i would save up 10-13k, expenses and oh shit money. I just think this is your crack at it, give yourself a fair go because maybe you wont get another chance. GLGL

    sorry long read.
     2
    Add Ahurazor to Rail
  21. Yes working out will be a prime objective. I am 27 years old. I am self-employed and in my line of work I can make 60-100k a year without much trouble. I work for myself..... but want to take a shot at poker.

    Would it make people feel better if I said I had a 5k? Well I do. I have more than 5k... however if I look at my roll after a month and I'm down 3k, I will reconsider. 2-3k EFFECTIVE
    Thread StarterAdd Channing83 to Rail
  22.  
    Originally Posted by Channing83 View Post

    Yes working out will be a prime objective. I am 27 years old. I am self-employed and in my line of work I can make 60-100k a year without much trouble. I work for myself..... but want to take a shot at poker.

    Would it make people feel better if I said I had a 5k? Well I do. I have more than 5k... however if I look at my roll after a month and I'm down 3k, I will reconsider. 2-3k EFFECTIVE

    so you sell drugs
    Add iCONoFpOKER to Rail
  23. No, I don't sell drugs.

    Id rather not say what I do for a living FWIW
    Thread StarterAdd Channing83 to Rail
  24. Good luck with your shot with all the added info just go for it.Channing can you do me a personal favour can u blog this for all to follow!? I feel blogging will help you vent and stay honest to yourself about results and I enjoy the read/sweat
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  25.  
    Originally Posted by Channing83 View Post

    No, I don't sell drugs.

    Id rather not say what I do for a living FWIW


    Owns Airstream and would rather not say what he does. Just don't move to Vegas then, don't think you'll appreciate Harry Reid's latest legislation effort.

    Other than that GL
    Add Somborac19 to Rail
  26.  
    Originally Posted by Popperhead View Post

    Go for it your young and not dead if you do fail you can always get a job

    here is a thread of another guy taking a shot

    http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...e-shot-942335/

    holy F, just read like 15 pages of this thread, because thats going to be me in 3months, awesome thread check it out IMO
    Add yoonaSNSDjess to Rail
  27.  
    Originally Posted by Nickv50 View Post

    considering i did it for 2 years in calgary yeah its def possible. I lived off a 5kish roll at 1/2 games where the buyin was 300max. My roll would have climbed drasticly too however i was terrible at brm back then and spent money like crazy. So with a 15 bi roll it remained steady and i was living comfortably playin in my opinion the softest most ludacris 1/2 games in canada.
    However, when things turn and u go on a sick bad run, u go broke and have no money for rent, which i did, and its not fun. Take the guys advice and learn from my mistakes, have at least 40-50 buyins for ur game before u even consider the option.

    Replace calgary with michigan and i have basically the same story...
     
    Add rhinodash to Rail
  28. Why not take a shot at it? Worst thing is you lose 2k. You can always make that back. Seems like it would be a very fun experience at the worst and sounds like you have a decent plan with low costs. Might be wise to work some small job for a month or so and try to double your starting roll. Good luck.
    Add josephf to Rail
  29. Step one hit badbeat jackpot
    Step two- profit
    Add s1nnr to Rail
  30.  
    Originally Posted by yoonaSNSDjess View Post

    holy F, just read like 15 pages of this thread, because thats going to be me in 3months, awesome thread check it out IMO

    If it's a 15 pg thread your doing it all wrong. There Is a view 100 replies per page option use it

    I would love to read that progress as well yoona
    Add Popperhead to Rail

Similar Threads