[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

View Poll Results: The lifestyle of a professional poker player is generally...

Voters
373. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...much better than the lifestyle of other professions.

36.73%
  • ...somewhat better than the lifestyle of other professions.

41.55%
  • ...similar to the lifestyle of other professions.

6.70%
  • ...somewhat worse than the lifestyle of other professions.

9.38%
  • ...much worse than the lifestyle of other professions.

5.63%
  1. Thread added to Strategy Archives (see Going Pro)

---

I recently read an article by the one and only Jon "Wein" Wein and it really got me thinking. He seems to truly dislike poker and feels that he is "a slave to the schedule". Do most pros feel this way? Does poker really pull you away from any type of real life and limit your social groups to online forums like this one and fellow players?

To put it simply, I've led an extremely different life than the average person, so I don't have any experience with a normal lifestyle. For the last eight months or so I've played poker exclusively and have just recently started taking classes again. Sure there are times where I'm running bad, get frustrated, or just plain burnt out; but I just take a day or two off and then get back to the grind. I've still yet to have the success to even consider playing poker as a career, and have yet to even openly say it's something I would want. While it's always been something I've kept tucked in the back of my mind since I started playing years ago I'm still not sold on actually giving it a go.

It's preached day after day in threads, talks with other players, and articles that high volume is an essential part of the successful poker players overall strategy. While at the same time all the top players eventually take rather lengthy breaks from the game. Is there no middle ground? Is the 1pm to 2 or 4am, 4 to 6 day work week the only way for the online player to live? If not, what can we do to better our lifestyle?

The Wein Show's article: http://www.tournamentpokeredge.com/t...f-being-a-pro/
    Edited By: Realbigfish4 Sep 14th, 2010 at 01:46 AM
    Add Realbigfish4 to Rail
  2. Poker>regular job.

If you're a good winning player, poker is better than most jobs...
    Add ApesAreFun to Rail
    Originally Posted by ApesAreFun View Post

Poker>regular job.

I have very little in consideration to how many hrs ive put in this game but I have to solely agree with Apes. It doubles as entertainment, end of story.
    Add squintster to Rail
  4. I'm not a big fan of the lifestyle and there is zero chance I play poker full time when I have a family.
    Add SCTrojans to Rail
    Originally Posted by ApesAreFun View Post

Poker>regular job.

you better love poker right now

Add ntanygd760 to Rail
  6. I mean It's pretty brutal you play like 12 hours a day, the best days to take off are thursday and friday. a full schedule is wayy over 40 hours a week saterday thru wend.

and then you have to deal with bubbling huge tournys all the time where if you had ran different you won have won a million dollars or 300 k or 500k but instead you get nothing over and over again... you can go a year or more being down 150 k or 200 k or whatever and run bad you will win 30 k then lose it back in a week.

just never seeming to get nowhere tournys are sick and brutal game, and if you have the option you should play mainly cash games and mix tournys into it
    not just play tournys only where you hardly ever win, almost everyday you lose and it sucks no matter how good you are you almost lose everyday you play just waiting for the one day you win big or just win and hope you hit a good streak so you can actually show profit.

this year has been horrible for me but it easily could have been the best year of my life with huge huge winnings. you can only be so good at tournys and then It's just all luck.. winning the coin tosses getting aces against kings hitting a 3 outer or two 4 and 3 betting in the right spots..
    there are so many luck factors in winning a tourny its unreal even if you are one of the best.

and the main factor is volume you have to play 60 hours a week just to beat the variance playing all the tournys even the low ones hoping that if you run bad u can bink one for 5 k just to break even for the day

gl playing tournys

Raise
    Add Believer82 to Rail
  7. Fact: you can write pros and cons in just about everything
    Add Lamarodom to Rail
  8. I love the lifestyle
    I choose when to work, never have to leave the house, get to travel to awesome places, and have made decent money
    In loving the life, I do anything I want and can just hang out on the comp all day
    def my ideal job, just wish I could change a few things

Raise
    Add Deoxyribo to Rail
  9. i love it, although it shits me to tears on more than a few ocasions everyday i still love it, i grind 5 days a week(being in australia hours r shit) so im usually kicking off anywhere between 3-4am and finishin anywhere between 10am-12pm any later would be a big major deep run.

i get times where i need a day off or a few, but when it comes down to it, i enjoy this much more than any other job ive worked.
    Raise
    Add Ahurazor to Rail
    Originally Posted by Deoxyribo View Post

I love the lifestyle
    I choose when to work, never have to leave the house, get to travel to awesome places, and have made decent money
    In loving the life, I do anything I want and can just hang out on the comp all day
    def my ideal job, just wish I could change a few things

sick cliff hangers bro.
    Add Burying_Luck to Rail
  11. amazing how ungrateful some of the pros r itt... quit playing poker, go spend months trying to find a job iun this economy. maybe youll be lucky enough to find an entry lervel job for 12 dollars an hour, do some mindless busy work or back breaking labor and deal with your boss who sticks his dick up uyer ass every chance he gets. get llayed off and then rinse and repeat...gtfo if you have any success as a full time pro and youre complaining about a 12 hour day where you sit in a fucking computer chair and ypour doing something that most people consider a thrilling experiance... god i just got so tilted reading Believers response... quit being such a fucking selfish self centered cunt

Raise
    Add cream626 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Believer82 View Post

I mean It's pretty brutal you play like 12 hours a day, the best days to take off are thursday and friday. a full schedule is wayy over 40 hours a week saterday thru wend.

and then you have to deal with bubbling huge tournys all the time where if you had ran different you won have won a million dollars or 300 k or 500k but instead you get nothing over and over again... you can go a year or more being down 150 k or 200 k or whatever and run bad you will win 30 k then lose it back in a week.

just never seeming to get nowhere tournys are sick and brutal game, and if you have the option you should play mainly cash games and mix tournys into it
    not just play tournys only where you hardly ever win, almost everyday you lose and it sucks no matter how good you are you almost lose everyday you play just waiting for the one day you win big or just win and hope you hit a good streak so you can actually show profit.

this year has been horrible for me but it easily could have been the best year of my life with huge huge winnings. you can only be so good at tournys and then It's just all luck.. winning the coin tosses getting aces against kings hitting a 3 outer or two 4 and 3 betting in the right spots..
    there are so many luck factors in winning a tourny its unreal even if you are one of the best.

and the main factor is volume you have to play 60 hours a week just to beat the variance playing all the tournys even the low ones hoping that if you run bad u can bink one for 5 k just to break even for the day

gl playing tournys

Obviously you have way more right to comment on the issue than i do but i would bet u wouldnt swap the highs and lows of the poker pro life for a 9-5 job and the daily grind for $17 bucks an hour. You guys (poker pros) have been lucky enough that your life/financial/marital situation has allowed you the freedom to choose poker as a means to make a living. Some guys will never get that shot for whatever reason. Id love to hear the positives why poker is the best way to make a living. No disrespect Jeremiah im a big fan of your work...

Raise
    Add Got All Day to Rail
  13. Wein is fucking hot.
    Add thefuture021 to Rail
  14. Playing tournament poker is the absolute worst way to make a living, unless you compare it to doing any real job.

I've been playing for a living for almost 3 years. And while I often dread sitting down to play, and am exhausted after a 12-16 hour day, it just beats the hell out of anything else I could do for income right now.

+ 1
    raise
    Raise
    Add Nate Avenson to Rail
  15. i love it
    Add FouTight to Rail
  16. I love poker and will gladly do it over any other job. It is the best job in the world period.

Add mtrau686 to Rail
    Originally Posted by thefuture021 View Post

Wein is fucking hot.

Finally someone that got the point of this thread...

As for everything else going on in here up till now I'm getting the vibe that $games > mtts > "real" job but all work sucks

and no one has even touched.... "Is there no middle ground? Is the 1pm to 2 or 4am, 4 to 6 day work week the only way for the online player to live? If not, what can we do to better our lifestyle?"
    Edited By: Realbigfish4 Sep 14th, 2010 at 03:04 AM
    + 1
    raise
    Raise
    Thread StarterAdd Realbigfish4 to Rail
    Originally Posted by cream420 View Post

amazing how ungrateful some of the pros r itt... quit playing poker, go spend months trying to find a job iun this economy. maybe youll be lucky enough to find an entry lervel job for 12 dollars an hour, do some mindless busy work or back breaking labor and deal with your boss who sticks his dick up uyer ass every chance he gets. get llayed off and then rinse and repeat...gtfo if you have any success as a full time pro and youre complaining about a 12 hour day where you sit in a fucking computer chair and ypour doing something that most people consider a thrilling experiance... god i just got so tilted reading Believers response... quit being such a fucking selfish self centered cunt

Most ignorant statement of the year.

Add subpar67 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Got All Day View Post

Obviously you have way more right to comment on the issue than i do but i would bet u wouldnt swap the highs and lows of the poker pro life for a 9-5 job and the daily grind for $17 bucks an hour. You guys (poker pros) have been lucky enough that your life/financial/marital situation has allowed you the freedom to choose poker as a means to make a living. Some guys will never get that shot for whatever reason. Id love to hear the positives why poker is the best way to make a living. No disrespect Jeremiah im a big fan of your work...

You can hate something but still love it, or rather still have it be the best possible option for you for the time being.

It is a tough lifestyle for most, but it's something that you enjoy doing so you only mind it in extreme circumstances. I've always said that you have to be a little bit of a masochist to play poker full time. Do people HAVE to put in 12+ hour sessions most days of the week? No, of course not. But when you are losing you feel that you have to play more to get even and then play even MORE to get to where you feel your equity is. When you are winning you get addicted to the money and can't justify passing up another day when you can make 5 figures.

I think most players go through ebs and flows where they play a ton and then play very rarely and then go back to playing a ton. Eventually everyone finds a balance between playing enough to make good money and taking enough time off to enjoy that money.

Raise
    Add GambleAB to Rail

I mean It's pretty brutal you play like 12 hours a day, the best days to take off are thursday and friday. a full schedule is wayy over 40 hours a week saterday thru wend.

gl playing tournys

Dude your a cool guy but jeez this just sounds depressing. Hope things turn for you. I would like to think most pros dont feel this way.
    Add Abratzzi to Rail
  21. Theres a reason we do this instead of real job type stuff.
    Add supra1988t to Rail

gl playing tournys

What a load of bull..

Add ImLikeWhoaa to Rail
  23. pretty much what believer said....what else u gonna do tho?

Add nutserrytime to Rail
    Originally Posted by cream420 View Post

amazing how ungrateful some of the pros r itt... quit playing poker, go spend months trying to find a job iun this economy. maybe youll be lucky enough to find an entry lervel job for 12 dollars an hour, do some mindless busy work or back breaking labor and deal with your boss who sticks his dick up uyer ass every chance he gets. get llayed off and then rinse and repeat...gtfo if you have any success as a full time pro and youre complaining about a 12 hour day where you sit in a fucking computer chair and ypour doing something that most people consider a thrilling experiance... god i just got so tilted reading Believers response... quit being such a fucking selfish self centered cunt

this. if u havent had a real job, u have nothing to compare poker to. its a great job.
    Add tcstunna to Rail
  25. I agree. Imagine a forum that is related to engineering jobs and someone starts a thread saying "Do you hate your lifestyle of your job", working from 9 to 6 monday to friday, having a boss. Spending 2 hours everyday in a highway, travelling and being far from home etc. Its the same thing. One life style suits some people better than the other and viceversa. What seems to be absolutely true is that things are not the way they look at first, wheter it is poker life style, a job life style, marriage, etc.
    Raise
    Add el arracachero to Rail
  26. Most poker players that earn a "real living" could most likely make more money in a real job. Im sure TOM DWAN would do very well at anything he put his mind to. I know alot of guys that make a so called living playing poker. They are always bitching and crying about one thing or another. I feel that alot of the young guys will regret that they ever wasted so much time trying to beat the rake. Im sorry to be A downer im just calling it as i see it.
    Raise
    Add RAISEINFINITY to Rail
  27. Im all over on this one. On one hand I'd love to play poker for a living. But I hate losing. And as Believer said, you lose much more then you win. So I guess I grind a mixture of sngs,cash & mtts and make a thousand or two here and there and dream of a big win. In the meantime I make a couple of bucks at my hobby. Sounds much better than golf to me. I own a business and work my ass off. When the times were good it sucked,(but the $ was good, but I also blew it with BRM). Ive had so many people fuck me. Employees/friends(because if youre a nice person youre employees become friends), customers,UNIONS, lawyers, the list goes on. Obviously the economy sucks right now and my service business revenues suck. But they are better than most competitors. So I guess Im happy. You will never enjoy your job.(for long periods of time anyways).

You have to figure out whats important in life. You need and will(hopefully for most) figure it out one day for yourself. Regardless of me or anyone telling you. Thats when you're happy of your lifestyle, be it poker, factory work, business owner, whatever.
    Edited By: duclover Sep 14th, 2010 at 04:09 AM
    Reason: forgot Unions.lol
    Raise
    Add duclover to Rail
  28. i think when you ur a player of dwans calibre those guys have found the thing that will make them the most money. just b/c ur really smart doesnt mean ur gonna be rich if you dont find something ur passionate about
    Raise
    Add poisoneye1986 to Rail
  29. Spoken like an adult.
    Add RAISEINFINITY to Rail
    Originally Posted by subpar67 View Post

Most ignorant statement of the year.

plz tell me about the ignorant part... im an unknown pro, who has has nothing come easy to me in the poker world... i put in a ton of time watching videos, reading forums, discussing hands every single day... ive never had a major cash, and only one cash in the 5 figure cash... theres thousands of more accompluished pros out there, but i live pretty fucking good... i can pretty much go out and buy whatever i want, go where ever i want at any time i want... there is no realistic scenario i could see myself being in as good of a situation as im in now with poker... obv money cant buy happiness and thats not what i said at all... but if youre a successful poker pro, and youre complaining about you job, in these times... jus shut the fuck up cause not a single person is gonna feel an ounze of pity for you.

Raise
    Add cream626 to Rail